Overall Satisfaction with Abila MIP Fund Accounting
MIP is used across our whole organization in Executive view and daily by the Finance Department. Many employees complain that it is not very user-friendly. I am a proponent of the software as I believe it is a powerful accounting database once you get over the learning curve. One of my favorite things is the ability to build custom reports although this is a little cumbersome.
- Your options are endless with the customizable reports.
- The software is constantly evolving with every upgrade it becomes more powerful and easier to use.
- I particularly like to ability to reverse posted entries.
- Building customized reports is an excellent feature but cannot be done on the fly. It takes a lot of time.
- The payroll module is not as versatile as others that I have used. There seem to be glitches in it. I wish there were more choices such as being able to have direct deposit for a portion of payroll checks with the net as a paper check.
- The help database definitely needs improvement. Searches could be more defined. It seems to pull up too many topics even using Boolean logic.
- We rely heavily on this software every day.
- The Return on Investment has been infinite for our organization as before implementing we were doing everything on paper.
Our organization received a plethora of grants. The ability to separate each one with the expanded Chart of Account codes is very helpful with report segregation.
Soft Trac, LLC - Working with this partner greatly improves our use with MIP Fund Accounting. Their support personnel are far superior to MIP's. Their response time is very fast and will always get back to us if there is an issue that is not resolved on the first phone call. Their training is also very helpful.
I was not involved with the original purchase of MIP Fund Accounting and do not have prior experience working with Fund Accounting software. My background is with a public accounting firm working with primarily privately owned companies such as doctors, dentists and service-based businesses. My understanding is that MIP is one of the top softwares for Fund Accounting, however.
MIP Fund Accounting is well suited for accounting professionals that have years of experience using accounting databases. It is not well suited for less trained personnel. As an accounting software it is quite powerful but for grant reporting it is not. One of my least favorite things is that I have to export many reports to Excel to get them to print on one page and you don't even know until you print that it will come out on two pages or landscape when you want portrait, etc...