Overall Satisfaction with Azure SQL Database
- The newest SQL Server features and functions are pushed to the service, so unlike onsite SQL there is never a need for upgrading.
- Azure SQL database does not require onsite infrastructure.
- Because this is a cloud solution, you will never need to patch the Operation System, install a service pack, or install an update.
- Unlike onsite databases, scaling up or scaling down is very easy with Azure SQL database.
- Azure SQL database does not contain the SQL Agent service, so if jobs needs to be scheduled you still need to do this using a traditional SQL Server.
- Given that there are 10 different pricing options, It can be difficult to determine which one to select.
- The bigger your organization, the more ROI you are going to see with Azure SQL db.
- Moving to Azure SQL db will free up your DBA to work on the backlog of projects that often never get done because they spend a lot of time maintaining and monitoring onsite SQL.
- Generally speaking, Azure SQL database is less work and less responsibility relative to onsite SQL Server or any onsite database.
SaaS shops that need to react quickly to customer demand can benefit greatly from the speed and ease at which a database can be created and scaled. Azure SQL Database also works extremely well with PowerBI and a plethora of other Azure services.
Azure SQL database is not likely to be a fit for replacing the database behind a large ERP, this isn't what its meant for. It also is not a fit if you have over 1 TB of data.