Cost Effective but no Major Frillshttps://www.trustradius.com/data-center-backupBarracuda BackupUnspecified8.9481012019-06-26T20:40:45.918Z
June 26, 2019
Cost Effective but no Major Frills
Score 8 out of 101
Overall Satisfaction with Barracuda Backup
We use the Barracuda Backup appliance for all of our remote schools we support. It allowed us to implement an effective backup solution quickly without much of a learning curve. We backup VMWare and physical hosts over a leased and owned fiber WAN. We also own an enterprise Avamar solution and use that for our primary data center backups and Barracuda for our offsite data centers.
- Quickness to deploy. You will not need an expert to get this up and running.
- Extremely intuitive interface: Brand new techs can pick this up without much training.
- Global Accessibility: The cloud interface allows administrators to access their backups from everywhere for quick restores after hours.
- The pricing solution has gone from allowing on-premise ownership to forced cloud extortion. Basically, if you buy now you will be ok, but those of us who "owned" our solution previously are now forced to subscribe to the cloud model or be stuck with a brick.
- Speed of recovery could be improved.
- It is much lower priced than the alternate solution we where thinking about purchasing.
- It was initially a much more cost-effective solution until they changed their cost model making the ROI go down over the last 2 years.
- It saved our districts, that we on-boarded, the cost of new hardware. The deduplication factor kept the total size down for new adds.
Barracuda was a much more cost effective solution than the others we evaluated. Its interface was light years ahead of Avamar, and its cost was much lower than Unitrends. Avamar had it beat in backup time, and Unitrends was a more mature product. In the end, Barracuda won out because of the ease of use and quick deployment coupled with lower cost.
Barracuda Backup is a great, affordable, and quickly deployed solution if complex DR requirements are not needed. Depending on your RPO and RTO it may be a perfect fit. If you need immediate recovery you should look elsewhere. If you have a scenario where you need some form of backup, like yesterday, this is your solution.