Epicor HCM reviewhttps://www.trustradius.com/hr-managementEpicor HCMUnspecified4.8161012014-01-16T17:49:14.859Z
Updated April 29, 2015
Epicor HCM review
Score 9 out of 101
- Open Enrollment
- Employee Self Service
Overall Satisfaction with Epicor HCM
We use HCM in all of our offices worldwide (we are in 25 countries). We use the core functionality plus Employee Self Service, Open Enrollment, and Link. Employees are able to request time off through the system, and employees in the US can also use Open Enrollment for benefit selections. Managers also have access to view their employees, and run various reports.
- Epicor adds many enhancement requests made by its user base, and involves users in beta testing to ensure users get what they need
- The system is customizable by the Administrator, and those customizations carry forward to future versions without needing to be re-written, saving time and money
- The SQL database is easy to integrate with other internal systems
- The user interface is simple and easy to use
- Users can use an integrated ad-hoc query tool, which is very easy to use
- I wish the system recognized holidays when employees enter time off requests
- I wish that Open Enrollment did not require a two step process to submit choices to HR
- Using Request Time Off eliminates the need for paper or for emails when requesting time off and results in more accurate records
- Employee Self Service allows employees to update their own personal information (such as address, phone, personal email) which is then fed to payroll
- Link allows for feeds to various systems such as payroll and health carriers, resulting in more accurate records and less data entry
I have use Epicor HCM since 1997, and do not recall the products I used prior to that.
If a company does not have a lot of IT resources and no SQL expert on staff, I recommend being hosted. But, if a company does have IT resources and an HR member with strong SQL skills, then being self hosted is the only way to go - the limits are endless with what you can do with the system.
Epicor HCM Feature Ratings
Using Epicor HCM
2 - Organization, technical aptitude, attention to detail, global mindset
- Can work in a global environment
- Easy for the end users to use
- Can do complex reporting
- Using SQL, I have created over 1800 SQL scripts to audit for bad or missing data. I run this daily to look for data issues, and have the responsible person correct it
- At my last company, HCM fed data to over 30+ internal systems, and approx. 10 external vendors
- As HCM adds Country Specific Functionality, we will certainly take advantage of that, since we have offices in 25 countries
Evaluating Epicor HCM and Competitors
Epicor HCM Implementation
The upgrade went better than expected. There are always post go-live issues, and we had less than we had anticipated. The implementation team at Epicor is top notch, and really know what they are doing to make the project successful.
Change management was a minor issue with the implementation - I am answering my questions based on a major upgrade that we did in 2011 because I was not involved in the initial implementation in 1996 (I started in 1997). It is important to stick to the original implementation plan, and when encountering issues along the way, create a spreadsheet to list each issue, and prioritize each with high, medium, and low. High priority issues prevent going live and need to be addressed, regardless of scope creep. Medium are issues that are not ideal to live with but have a work around. Low priority issues are issues that would be a "nice to have" at some point.
- Adjusting management's expectation of what a reasonable timeframe for the project would be
- Determining how best to build custom reports. We first started building reports using the reporting model and quickly realized limitations and had to switch to stored proc based reports. This involved a lot of re-writing of reports, which added time to the project.
Epicor HCM Training
We had someone from Epicor come on site to do training, and we "shared" our trainer with another company who was also doing the same major upgrade. It was nice to have another company there so we could ask each other (and the trainer) questions. This allowed for more meaningful discussions during training.
Epicor HCM Support
I do not give it a 10 because I find that often I have very technical and complicated issues that can't be resolved by the people who first respond to requests, and I often have to follow up on my issues.
Problems get solved
No escalation required
Immediate help available
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
Yes - I have had serious bugs resolved with a patch within 1-2 months. Less serious are reviewed and often released with a future patch or put into the next version of the application.
Using Epicor HCM
It is very user friendly to non-technical people, and user friendly to very technical people.
Like to use
Easy to use
Quick to learn
Feel confident using
- Hire a Person
- Complete a Hire
- Terminate an Employee
- Request Time Off
- Employee Self Service
Epicor HCM Reliability
The product is extremely scaleable. We never purged records, and did not have a performance hit. We also were able to make customizations ourselves when needed, and contract with Epicor for more complicated customizations.
Relationship with Epicor
I was not there for the initial sales meeting in 1996 (I started in 1997) but have maintained a relationship with our sales rep through the years. He is very honest, and willing to go the extra mile for whatever we may need.
We have only had our rep change once in the last 16 years I have worked with the product, and that transition from one person to another was slowly done over time. The consistency with our rep has allowed us to build a great relationship, and she often remembers things we have done with the product that I have forgotten about.
I was not there for the initial implementation but was able to negotiate a lower hourly rate for a major upgrade that we did.