Overall Satisfaction with Microsoft Project
Project 2010 is available to any user at Mercy. However, not all project managers use it due to lack of experience or knowledge of the product. We currently use another tool to manage all our projects through the PMO, however, I perfer Project and use it daily to manage all my projects. I have found Project to be one of my best tools as a project manager. It's easy to use and with the text formatting I can have my critical task stand out. I have used Project for over 15 years and absolutely love it. I would not be able to manage all my projects and daily task as I do with out it.
- I particularly like the ability to change my text styles. I always add a background color to my summary tasks, change the font style and color of my milestones. It makes the whole plan easy to read.
- I also like using predecessors as much as possible so when I change the date on tasks, it automatically recalculates the downstream tasks.
- I also like the ability to filter, showing only incomplete tasks. This is extremely helpful on large projects. I can then focus on exactly what needs to be done.
- The ability to add recurring tasks is also very helpful.
- At this time Project works for me and I don't see any improvements I need. However, we do not use Microsoft server addition. I used that several years ago and it needed major improvements on the resource allocation piece. Not sure if that has been corrected.
- Using project allows me to communicate to my team members on exactly what needs to be done and how long it will take. I like the ability to save it as a PDF file for those users who do not have Project. I can even create a view for each resource so they know exactly what is expected from them.
Project is 120% better than Daptiv. I have found Daptiv to be clumsy and very user unfriendly. I only add my timesheet tasks into Daptiv and maintain my project in Microsoft Project. I only use it since it is our standard for timekeeping. I found users do not always book their time accordingly in Daptiv since it is so combersome to use.
I find Microsoft Project well suited for small to large projects or just managing daily tasks. Not using the server piece does not really allow to manage resources across the company. However, it does allow you to manage hours per project which is very helpful when planning out a project and estimating hours.
Microsoft Project Feature Ratings
Using Microsoft Project
It's so easy to use and I'm able to make it look however I want it to. It allows me to communicate to my team on exactly what needs to be done and when.
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Feel confident using
- Adding tasks, timelines, resources
- Changing text styles
- Creating views