Overall Satisfaction with Nutanix
We bought a Nutanix solution to replace all of our production servers, to run the whole business. We had looked at virtualization before but could not find an appropriate solution for our size of business. We needed to replace our old servers, have greater visibility of how our servers were running, and reduce power consumption and heat.
- Using Nutanix Acropolis gives us visibility of the whole infrastructure from one web portal
- The software licencing is considerably more cost effective than the alternatives
- Nutanix offer direct support and their enginneers are very helpful
- There is no easy way to migrate servers into different storage pools, so if you decide after creating a VM you would prefer to only have de-duplication and not compression you can't just move the server
- Running a test server, or migrating to a new OS/application is easier
- We only use 28% of the power we did before
- The server room is cooler
- Trouble shooting the servers is much easier via the admin console
We looked at ten solutions, a mixture of VMware and Hyper-V as well as Nutanix KVM, many we rejected on the basis of fault tolerance - most of the other solutions only had two nodes and a SAN. We also found the associated costs of VMware too much for a small business. We also looked at two other hyper-converged solutions, one was considerably more and the other relied on a proprietary hardware disk accelerator - I felt software defined storage was the way forward.
We had many servers that were required for application separation for both security and comparability (classic server sprawl) but were underutilized. The Nutanix solution was the best fit because it had the power we required and the hyper-converged infrastructure means all elements: management, storage, and compute come in a single intelligent box.