Good and bad of QuickBase
September 22, 2016

Good and bad of QuickBase

Anonymous | TrustRadius Reviewer
Score 9 out of 10
Vetted Review

Overall Satisfaction with QuickBase

It's used for various projects that our company undertakes for clients. The predominant use is for managing PMOs (Project Management Office), specifically tracking high level milestones and dependencies of complex health programs. These QuickBase apps also had a risk and issues management component.

Other uses of QuickBase include:
• Defect management tools where software defects are logged, allocated for fixing, tested and closed.
• Risk management tools where risks are logged and actions developed, assigned and tracked individually
• Readiness assessments, e.g. delivery of large scale new public service facilities

Pros

  • Powerful reporting. Initially challenging for non-technical people, but once they get a grasp, this is really one of the key features of QuickBase which I sell to both internal and external clients.
  • Generally user friendly.
  • Licencing costs are cheap and since there is no installation, it's easy to deploy adn customise a base generic app and deploy it into a project.

Cons

  • Control of width of columns in tables.
  • Better reference guides on APIs.
  • Better triggers, not just when a record is changed but when a threshold is reached, certain value is inputted, etc.
I have built some standard app templates which are about 85% completed. The remaining 15% have to do with business processes which would differ from project to project.
I was not involved in the original selection process but from what I understand, it was a mix of functionality and price which was the deciding factor.
All support in development is pointed towards the technical team. The most complex thing which users do is reporting and data import/export.
  • Improving our ability to drive insights from our data
  • Improving collaboration across one or more teams
  • Solving a specific business challenge
Very easy to do for anyone with technical knowledge. Relationships are probably the hardest thing for someone who has not built the system to understand.
QuickBase works well in collaborative environments with inputs from many sources. I think it could be used more extensively as a project management tool, but most clients are not willing to pay additionally for a third-party to use the tool that provides an MS Project interface.

Comments

More Reviews of Quickbase