QuickBooks Online - My Perspective, FWIW
Overall Satisfaction with QuickBooks Online
I have quite a few clients on QuickBooks Online, some of with only one or two users, and some with several. It has improved greatly over the past few years. It's a good option for tech savvy clients who want an option that's easily accessible and user friendly. When the new QBO was rolled out there were issues with long-time users adjusting to the new interface, but new users who hadn't worked with the old one liked it, so that may have been more a matter of what people were used to rather than the product itself.
I use it with my clients as a way for us to have access to the same information at all times. However, for job costing, I still stick with the desktop version. Also, payroll is unforgiving. If set up properly, it can be useful, but it is a bit limited for things like job costing.
The bank feeds can be tricky, and most clients need to have a period of adjustment before it starts to make sense to them.
I'm happy with it, and the clients on it are mostly happy with it. The recommended browser is Chrome, but sometimes in Chrome the bank rec screen is cut off, and I need to use IE. Oddly, IE is the browser that must be used to upload or download files, but Chrome is the recommended browser. If you have multiple Intuit accounts, there may be problems logging in, and I find that using an Incognito Chrome window helps with that.
- Bank downloads happen seamlessly, which makes it easy to get transactions into the file.
- Multiple users is a great feature, whether it's just me and the client, or the client needs several people working in the file, or just needs people to enter time.
- Downtime is rare, and while it does happen occasionally, I haven't noticed it being significant.
- Job costing. Right now, in order to do progress invoicing or job costing, it's laborious and messy.
- I'd like to see payroll function more like the desktop version, which I use often and love. It's not easy to go back and fix things where clients have made errors in their payroll processing.
- Sales tax reporting could be improved to be more flexible. My clients have a range of sales tax reporting issues.
- QBO has increased employee efficiency by allowing users who switch locations frequently to know they're using the most up-to-date version of the file.
- I can serve my clients easier by being able to logon and see what's going on very easily.
- 50% to 75% of my clients
Do you need payroll?
Do you need job costing?
What problems do you need to solve?
How many users will be using the software?
What do you need in your reporting functions?
What is your experience level with accounting software?
Do you use any industry specific software?
Do you have retail sales? (I don't recommend it for retail.)