Return Path is good, but not perfect. As an experienced email marketer I know how to work around its weaknesses.
July 02, 2020

Modules Used

• Return Path (legacy)

Overall Satisfaction with Return Path

I use Return Path on a daily basis across a large range of email marketing tasks. The best and most important usage of Return Path is domain monitoring. It does not matter how well your emails render or how amazing your marketing copy is if the content never reaches the inbox of your customers.
  • Inbox Monitoring
  • Device Previews
  • Spam Recognition
  • User Analytics
  • Device Previews use old Litmus API and therefore slow, would be nice to have a quicker interface
  • No content builder integration, system relies on emails to be sent to platform often increasing development times
  • Old user interface, interface has been the same and clunky for many years
  • Identify and address deliverability problems
  • Alerts on deliverability, reduce error times
  • Inbox previews, help with dev
We use Return Path directly with SFMC. Without Return Path we wouldn't know as much about how many of our emails are landing and why. We also use Return Path for email renderings as well as some spam checks. Although we do have device usage reporting, I find it hard to navigate and the interface is very dated.
Device previews because it is built-in and did not require us to buy Litmus on the side. For the value, Return Path provides a lot for how much it costs. Deliverability monitoring, we really love to keep on top of our deliverability. It is crucial for any marketing effort, that we know if we're hitting inboxes! Spam tools are nice, but the results aren't always great.
I don't typically use the customer service from Return Path unless something is wrong or broken which is rare. I like that it is pretty stable. I have attended a couple of webcasts on the state of email. I expected a little bit more, but it seemed like just a high-level discussion. I was expecting some direction coming out of the webcast.
Like I said before, Return Path is really the budget bundle. You get a lot of service for how much you pay. Since I am currently at an early stage startup, we could not afford Litmus, so having Return Path is crucial. The partnership with Salesforce also allowed us to get it at pretty low cost.
I would always recommend Return Path but with a caveat that there are many other tools out there. Return Path is a great amalgamation of a few tools but doesn't excel in any one area. If you only have a budget for one email marketing tool Return Path is it! If you want the full suite, you'll have to tack on 250ok, Litmus for better previews and content builder, etc.

Everest (Return Path + 250ok) Feature Ratings