TRUE

April 22, 2022

Reviewer Sentiment

Positive ()
Negative ()
Learn how we calculate reviewer sentiment

TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2022

9.6

Mobile optimization (142)

9.2

Spam Testing (106)

Email deliverability reporting (116)

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Litmus, and make your voice heard!

1 person want pricing too

What is Email on Acid?

Email On Acid is an email marketing solution built as a standalone product and as an integration into marketing automation tools such as Salesforce Marketing Cloud and Marketo. It includes features such as collaboration, code analysis, and spam filter testing.

What is Twilio SendGrid?

Twilio SendGrid Marketing Campaigns provides users with segmentation, campaign editing, and deliverability. According to the vendor, Twilio SendGrid Marketing Campaigns is trusted by over 80,000 customers globally, including Airbnb, Spotify and Uber. Twilio SendGrid Marketing Campaigns aims to help…

Email & Online Marketing

4.6

Reporting & Analytics

Pre-Send Testing

What is Litmus?

Litmus Software in Cambridge, MA offers their email marketing solution Litmus, supporting email campaign building and best practice checklists, spam testing and resolution, proofing and feedback sharing, and email analytics. Litmus is designed to automate several processes for marketers to save time and maximize efficiency.

Litmus's key capabilities support campaign development, reviews, pre-send testing, and analytics. It also has tailored solutions for enterprise-size accounts, and is designed to integrate with multiple third-party tools.

Litmus Features

Litmus Video

Litmus: The World's Best Email Creative Tools

Litmus Technical Details

What is Litmus?

What is Litmus's best feature?

Reviewers rate Email Previews highest, with a score of 9.6.

Who uses Litmus?

The most common users of Litmus are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees) and the Marketing & Advertising industry.

We used Litmus as an inbox monitor tool and for analytics. We had a constant challenge on the length of the email which engagement analytics helped with. Providing clear stats to stakeholders on reading time helped us to improve overall engagement. Great tool and very easy to set up. Inbox rendering was also helpful to address any changes to ESPs rendering engines without a need to test everything manually.
  • inbox rendering
  • analytics
  • easy set up
  • would be good to have a scroll report for longer emails
  • refreshing tabs can be quite slow
Litmus is a great tool overall. I really liked using it and it gave me enough information to have difficult conversations with my stakeholders. Setting up a campaign can be done but a non-technical person. Even for the least experienced members of the marketing team, this should be a very easy tool to use
We have not. We have one designer that tests the emails and is responsible for renderability.
End-to-end testing for all email campaigns. This allow us to focus on the 97% of email clients used by our members.
  • Render test.
  • In box placement.
  • Load time test.
  • Spam check.
  • Add new clients faster (dark mode for all major clients).
  • Suggest solutions for broken code with code examples/video solutions.
  • Add example library of components that tend to work across all clients.
It's a seamless process, including the Chrome extension. In-browser testing is phenomenal.
We use it most of the time with different stakeholders including copy, design and developers.
My team handles outbound communication, and emails are a large part of that. We have an in-house tool that creates and sends emails, and we use Litmus to view the emails in a variety of email clients. We need a quick and dependable view into how the emails we have created will look on email clients that no one on our team has access to.
  • Selection of a variety of email clients.
  • We are charged by preview, so I can initially limit preview to the few clients that typically give me problems.
  • It is easy to paste the email source into the tool.
  • It would be amazing if I could interact with the email previews (clicking buttons, for example).
  • My team has come across a bug when the email preview showed inconsistent results for a given email client.
When I am sending an email to a lot of different people, I want to know that the email looks good not only in my inbox, but also in theirs. Since they may have different email clients from me, I need to know that it will look good for them as well. For example, we run into trouble with Microsoft Outlook on Windows quite often, and we need to know that even if the email doesn't look perfect there, it at least looks good. The scenario where I use Litmus is when I am sending an email to many customers and want to confirm how it looks in a variety of email clients.
We have not used these features. We typically do most of our work in our in-house tools, and just use Litmus as final Quality Assurance on how the email looks in other email clients.
I use Litmus to review email design and ensure that emails render correctly in a user's inbox, regardless of the email client they use.
  • Shows examples of how emails render in different inboxes (desktop and mobile)
  • Makes suggestions on design, accessibility, and deliverability of emails
  • Checks spam traps to ensure emails will be delivered to the inbox
  • It would be nice if it were easier to add email clients for previewing/QA - iOS and android update all the time, so having an auto-add feature to add new versions of email previews automatically would be helpful
Litmus is a great tool for previewing email designs for different email clients. It will show how emails will render in both desktop and mobile versions of email clients. Viewing how an email renders in Gmail vs. Microsoft vs. yahoo email clients and light and dark modes allows us to know for sure how an email will look in a user's inbox. Spam testing also helps to know if the email is landing in the inbox.
Litmus has allowed us to have multiple teams collaborate and comment / approve an email design before launch. It is easy for us to look at an email and flag if updates need to be made to the code for a specific design based on the email client.
Our agency uses Litmus to test previews for all email marketing communications. It is our primary tool for reviewing how our emails look on the most common browsers. We also use tracking codes to collect device and browser data on opened emails.
  • Provide informative and easy-to-use previews
  • Provide detailed spam analysis
  • Provide useful webinars and supplemental resources
  • More tiers for number of previews before requiring an enterprise solution
  • Offer Marketo integration as an add-on instead of in the enterprise package
  • We see high turnover in account management contacts
Because we use Marketo as our ESP, Litmus is a good alternative for providing analytics, previews, and spam testing data. It's more affordable and easier to use than the add-on Marketo services. Litmus is a leader in providing useful resources. I regularly attend webinars and download ebooks from Litmus and always get a useful piece of knowledge that enhances my email service.
We have not used the Proof functionality.
I primarily use Litmus previews to QA/QC our email development for dozens of agency clients. Without this tool, it would be very difficult to quickly see how our emails look across all the most populated devices and email clients. I also use Litmus tracking to gather data that email platforms do not collect. Lately, one of those unique pieces of data has been the Apple-privacy impacted opens.
  • Easy to use with dynamically generated test email addresses, quick to render dozens of previews.
  • Amazing aggregate reporting with all the data that email platforms are not providing.
  • It's amazing learning through resources and webinars. I always feel like Litmus is moving forward, never taking an eye off the industry and the technology.
  • I'd like to see the design tools of Litmus be optimized for agencies with dozens of clients. Creating dozens or hundreds of modules and templates for a single client is manageable. But scaling that up to dozens of clients with thousands of modules is not really manageable in the current dashboard.
If you are building emails outside the scope of your email platform's tested and approved templates, and you send at least one email a week, the value of a Litmus subscription can not be better! If you send one email a month or less or use your email platform's tried and tested templates, Litmus is probably not a necessary expense.
We do not use Litmus Proof because we post proofer feedback to an internal project management system. We will reconsider working Proof into our system because of how great other Litmus features are.
Kevin Tamming, MSc, CIPP/C | TrustRadius Reviewer
We send out thousands of emails a year to our membership. We primarily use Litmus to gauge our reader's interest in our emails. We have great interest in the open and read rates. We also determine what topics are of interest to our membership. It is a great tool in allowing us to know if we are hitting the mark in our marketing and general interest topics. It also allows us to test our emails to make sure they will appear properly on different devices and different browsers.
  • Analytics of emails
  • Testing of emails on different devices
  • Helping you build proper emails
  • More in-depth analytics - showing what people click on in the emails
  • Easier A/B testing
  • A cleaner dashboard
Litmus is a great all-in-one tool to create, test, and analyze your HTML emails. We use it every day to make sure we are hitting the areas our users want from us in our emails. Many times it has shown us where something was not going to appear correctly on a certain device, and that saved us time in fixing it and made it so that we did not look bad in front of our audience. But for us, the greatest feature is the analysis of emails and how our users interact with them.
Although we do not use this feature as much as we should, when we have, it has saved us time and effort. It has allowed us to comment directly on the proof about changes on important messages. This showed designers/editors exactly what needed clarification. The link tracking showed what worked and what didn't. Finally, the approval process allowed it to get reviewed and approved along with the different steps so that nothing was sent out without the appropriate eyes looking it over first.
We primarily use Litmus for the testing component for our email, seeing previews and reviewing the QA components. Being able to see how our emails look from different clients and on mobile and desktop is incredibly helpful for us to optimize our emails.

One key business problem that the product addresses is being able to see the spam testing, loading speed, and accessibility for clients. Having intel from the get-go on problem areas to help us ensure a higher inbox placement rate is key and has been so helpful for us.
  • I love how Litmus sends emails and webinar training to help continue education
  • The Preview and QA feature is so helpful
  • The Builder feature to see our code and find problem areas
  • Customer service and continued support
  • I enjoy the platform and don't have anything I would like done differently. The functionality is there, and the product has been so helpful for my team and me.
Litmus has been so helpful for my team and me to test our emails in advance before sending, find any problem areas before delivering, and check spam and accessibility. It has been a game-changer for our email programs and a huge part of our email program's success!
My team members will often use Litmus to review emails, but I am the owner of our email program, so I primarily am the one utilizing the tool. My manager and teammates use the system to review the emails at times. We haven't used the task list features or commenting features but look to doing that in the future.
  • no training
Super easy to use and easy to understand. The functionality and support are right at your fingertips, and getting the system up and running was quick and easy. We love it at our company!
Great product, scalable, and easy to use. We love it with the variety of email campaigns that we send. I highly recommend it!
We use Litmus daily with our email marketing program. Once our developers build and code out our email sends, we use Litmus to preview our send across various email clients, apps, and devices to ensure the email appears cohesive across all platforms. This ensures our emails are always on-brand, error-free, and always looking great.
  • Protects brand reputation.
  • Helps to ensure emails look good across a very high number of platforms.
  • Helps to ensure email accessibility.
  • When there is an error, it would be great if Litmus could suggest a coding fix for it.
  • The mobile app is not quite as user friendly as the desktop version.
  • The cost is high.
Litmus is an amazing email testing tool. Use it once your emails are coded to test how the email appears across almost 100 different email service providers, apps, platforms, and more. This ensures your emails are always on-brand, and error-free. We wouldn't consider sending a client email without testing it with Litmus first. The cost for Litmus however is high, so it may not be as accessible to smaller organizations.
Our team has used Litmus to streamline the email approval workflow and reduce review cycle time—there is much less back-and-forth. Emails are approved faster, have fewer errors, and our rounds of feedback have dramatically decreased.
Litmus is extremely user friendly, making it an easy tool for anyone in our organization to learn how to use.
April 22, 2022

Works as expected

We primarily used Litmus to test the rendering in different email clients. It's very easy to use Litmus in this aspect, as we could fairly quickly view the rendering across multiple clients. We did not really use any of the other features.
  • email client rendering
  • Easy usability
  • Snippets
  • Often a bit slow. Maybe RAM intensive.
  • I'd would've loved a VML live-rendering feature
Litmus is well suited for anyone who wants to test their emails and make sure that they are beautiful with all users.
Didn't use it.
April 17, 2022

My Love for Litmus

Christina Campo | TrustRadius Reviewer
At Scripps, we have internal customers who provide overall goals, copy, and assets to support various carelines. Our team uses the Previews and Q&A section to ensure our links are working properly and identify any issues prior to sending for proofing. We use the proofing in Litmus as an email approval platform for our internal customers. Finally, for large sends, we also use the Analyze feature to add tracking code to our campaigns when we feel we need deeper analytics than our email platform can provide. Additionally, the level of service, blogs, and help articles are so helpful for our small team. I lean on Litmus for best practices and tips.
  • best practice free seminars
  • previews
  • collaborative
  • additional metrics
  • ability to load new emails post review/corrections
Litmus has allowed our internal and external teams to communicate clearly on proofing of email campaigns. Edits and revisions are easily managed and we have unlimited sharing capability for review.
Litmus proof is a crucial part of our email review and approval process. All of our internal stakeholders and customers are trained on how to use Litmus proof and we will not launch an email without going through this process.
Margaret Hamner | TrustRadius Reviewer
This is the second organization that I have used Litmus for, and I'm a strong believer in its benefits. At my current company, we use Litmus to test emails in various browsers before sending. In my previous role, we also used the collaborative review function that allowed all team members to provide input on an email proof in one place.
  • Email browser testing
  • Email coding review and adjustments
  • Collaborative team review of email proofs
  • Collaborative review only available with more advanced, more expensive packages
Litmus is a very useful tool for situations where the company's email build tool lacks review and browser testing capabilities.
In my previous role, my team used the Litmus Proof function to collaboratively review and edit emails before sending. This saved a vast amount of time, effort, and confusion by avoiding manually sharing various versions of the email. Unfortunately, this function is only available in more expensive versions of Litmus, so the startup I am currently working with has a limited marketing budget, and doesn't have the ability to use Litmus Proof.
Aris Robinson | TrustRadius Reviewer
We utilize Litmus to confirm the appearance of e-mails in various e-mail clients. Litmus is beneficial in ensuring that the e-mails we've built and developed are populating without visual errors on desktop and mobile platforms. The Litmus previews allow for a simple and efficient yet thorough QA of the e-mails.
  • E-mail preview in e-mail clients
  • Sorting of e-mails
  • Ease of navigation
  • Identifying popular e-mail clients
  • Removing obsolete e-mail clients
  • Highlighting prospective errors
Litmus is an amazing tool that allows for easy testing and review of e-mails. I recommend utilizing the platform for e-mails that will be deployed to large audiences. Litmus is especially useful in e-mails that may be viewed on various devices or platforms.
We primarily utilize the Shared Link function to allow for easy testing and review. This feature has helped share Litmus previews and contributes to a simple review process.
Lance Hester | TrustRadius Reviewer
We test our marketing emails in Litmus to see how they render in multiple desktops, mobile, and web-based email clients. Additionally, we look at feedback from Litmus regarding our subject lines, accessibility, link integrity, loading speed, and spam testing.
  • Email client previews
  • Link integrity
  • Email industry best practices
  • Emoji use in subject lines: recent test in Litmus didn't show any issues, but in an A/B, I noticed lower deliverability with the version that used an emoji.
  • Litmus says links to my company's LinkedIn and Instagram accounts always say they're broken, but I've never been able to prove this in actual emails.
Litmus is extremely well-suited when you want to preview an email to multiple clients to see if there are issues. This is important not just when developing new templates but also when you have content outside the norm. In terms of less appropriate, Litmus does a decent job of spam traps, though it may not catch all deliverability issues (it's always good to continuously A/B test your audience to learn what works best.)
We have not used this feature.
Ash Flinn | TrustRadius Reviewer
Litmus is used in the Office of Admissions for developing and testing all email communications with prospective and admitted students. We have approximately 350+ distinct marketing emails and numerous other transactional ones for various events, and they need to be well designed and function correctly in multiple email clients. Litmus ensures that our emails are bulletproof and will be delivered as coded. Litmus has significantly cut down on the amount of time it takes to build an email with snippets and partials, as well as the CSS inlining capabilities. Large email newsletters that previously would take 2 hours to build, can take as little as 30 minutes, and our average build time is only 10 minutes.
  • Quick and easy testing and sharing results with others
  • Organization of email components (partials, templates, etc.)
  • Thorough checklist for email production that's good for novices and experts
  • Best email specific text-editor in the industry
  • Can be slow
  • Search should be available from every screen
  • Being able to sort folders and email files alphabetically would be good
If you need to be sure that the emails you're sending actually work, get Litmus. Manually sending to multiple phones and browsers is a huge waste of time. If you're sending out fewer than 50 emails a year, maybe the expense isn't worth it, but any more and it really pays for itself. Customers have no patience for emails with bad formatting, broken links, etc.
We don't use Proof, because we don't have that level of Litmus.
It can be pretty slow at times and auto save has messed up more than a few times when we've had multiple editors on an email. I wish versioning was handled better or that you could automatically sync and export emails to a Git repository. I really wish that you could have CSS as a partial instead of just a snippet. I would love to be able to tweak the CSS in a template or partial and then have it change all the emails with that template or partial. Despite all those shortcomings, it's the best email building and testing tool out there right now by far. It's also priced fairly for small teams and is usable by people who aren't very familiar with HTML and CSS. I have built out a complete email design system in Litmus, and it has greatly decreased time to build emails.
We use Litmus before sending any emails, to any clients. Once our emails are designed and coded, we run them through Litmus to get a comprehensive, guided checklist of the critical elements that affect email performance and delivery. Litmus provides a 360-degree view of our email will appear across 100+ different email clients, allowing us to spot flawed formatting at a glance. It even lets us test in Dark Mode to ensure everything looks good.
  • Previews your email across 100+ popular email clients.
  • Provides recommendations on how to optimize your sends.
  • Confirms that your email meets accessibility standards.
  • The tool is expensive.
  • Customer service is quick to respond but does not always have a solution.
  • The new UI is a bit difficult to navigate.
Running our email campaigns through Litmus testing has significantly cut down on the review process between us and our clients. Knowing that our email looks good across various platforms makes us feel confident that clients will receive an email proof that not only looks good but is optimized to perform as well.
We do not currently use this functionality.
Sally Gurney | TrustRadius Reviewer
Litmus is an essential component of our email marketing process. The whole marketing team uses it to test their emails before sending, and a good number of them also use the "Proof" function to collaborate on email development. We have found that built-in Analytics provides a different view to that of our ESP, and in particular, has helped us tackle the recently Apple Mail Privacy changes by identifying Apple Mail users. We also use the Builder for one of our newsletters, and I would have no hesitation in implementing a Litmus Builder-based master template for general email creation if we weren't already using our ESP's built-in email builder and templates to great success. In addition, an often overlooked bonus resource is the Litmus Community and their newsletters/blogs which are really good for sharing new ideas and clever tricks, as well as getting to the bottom of really niggly irritating problems with finicky email HTML.
  • Testing emails across multiple email clients, browsers, and devices.
  • Collaboration on email development.
  • Comprehensive and potentially complex email template development and usage.
  • Additional analytics beyond that of most ESPs.
  • Excellent developer resources.
  • Full Admins don't have the same level of access as Account Owner - e.g. some granular permissions can only be assigned by the owner.
  • Not as many email client/browser/device variants as Email on Acid (but all the main ones).
  • Can't locate the Analytics by the id in the Analytics tag!
The Litmus Builder is worth focusing on - it's a meaty bit of functionality that allows for some very complex and powerful customisable templates. It's HTML-focused, unlike some, but with a good developer, you can make a complex newsletter template that's usable by someone unfamiliar with HTML. I would say that it's worth getting help from someone who knows it well or spending the time to really get to grips with it, in order to get the most from it. The reporting capabilities are quite basic, but they do include features that our ESP doesn't, such as email clients and read time, and so are very useful for rounding out our existing comprehensive reports.
Litmus Proof has been beneficial to teams working collaboratively on larger campaigns, as well as providing feedback to users, particularly those who are newer to the team. The core functionality is to be able to share a visual of the email with others, who can then add comments by adding a bubble in the place that their comment relates to, visually. Those comments can then be replied to as a distinctly separate thread, and marked as resolved (which hides them, though they can be viewed in a separate area if needed). It then has approvals, though there is no built-in workflow integration which would be a really interesting and useful future enhancement.
January 21, 2022

Litmus for Life!

Katie Zeff | TrustRadius Reviewer
We primarily use Litmus for quality assurance purposes with our marketing emails. Beyond that, it allows us to be innovative. Litmus builder helps us develop custom-coded modules when we want to test out animated, interactive, dynamic, and personalized elements. The education and networking that Litmus facilitates within the email marketing community with webinars, forums, and annual Litmus Live events is where we see real value.
  • Grid layout in the Litmus builder
  • Education
  • User insights on email platforms, devices, locations
  • The folder structure of the new Litmus is more challenging to keep organized
Litmus is well-suited to organizations that custom code every email and want a built-in workflow management tool. Litmus is less valuable if you're already using a WYSIWYG email builder and that's all you want out of life.
Litmus proof allowed my team to QA over 200 nurture emails in the span of a week. All the comments were in one area. It was a very streamlined process to edit, QA, and approve all from the same platform.
Brandon Lawson | TrustRadius Reviewer
Litmus has become a staple for our organization when it comes to ensuring that our emails look their best for each and every send. Their new offerings of analytics, Builder, and Design Library have added an entirely new level of value to our email marketing team. Litmus has been important in helping us produce emails that are best-in-class when it comes to design and user experience.
  • Email previews that check everything from design to accessibility
  • A robust design library that is super intuitive
  • Analytics suite that helps the user understand how impactful a company's emails are to the users they reach
  • Make Partials editable in the build suite
  • Make templates sortable
It's best suited for previewing email builds and ensuring that they render as they were designed to. Litmus is less suited for building in the suite even though it is an offering that has a promising concept to build upon.
Yes, Proof is an integral part of our email creation workflow. We use the collaborative review and approval to ensure that we communicate what needs to be changed in an email before its launch.
Nick Wittenrood | TrustRadius Reviewer
Litmus helps us preview our emails in real-time on desktop and mobile devices along with different browsers and operating systems for those desktops and devices. It's extremely beneficial to see the problem areas (if there are any) and be able to address them quickly and on the fly.
  • Email Previews.
  • Proofing.
  • Project Management.
  • Enterprise pricing is extremely expensive.
  • Downtime on some email previews takes longer than usual. Especially when we need to view them.
Litmus overall is the best choice when it comes to email previews. But along with email previews, Litmus can provide so much more such as analysis and insights to your campaigns, along with a plethora of useful resources to help take your email marketing campaigns to the next level.
January 04, 2022

Check out the new Litmus

We have started using Litmus Proof to facilitate the approval process of emails. As a result, we are able to visually understand the exact changes that need to be made as well as clearly see when an email has been approved by the stakeholder. We have used Litmus Analytics to enhance reports and provide deeper understand of the devices our customers use to view our emails. Using this tool, we are able to see what device was used to view the email as well as the region where the email was opened and how long the contact spend on the email. This allows us to make modifications to our messages to meet the viewer's needs, such as shorter messages for groups of customers who use mobile devices or longer messages with multiple links to targets who spends longer on emails.
  • Email approval process: Visual indicators of what to change and green approval button.
  • Insight into user device: Easy visuals show the percentage and number of devices used to view the emails.
  • Insight into time spent on each email: Grouped into three categories to easily determine how long is spent on each email so decisions on content length can be made for future emails to the targets.
  • If Litmus Builder doesn't integrate with your email service provider or marketing automation platform, the process of editing becomes more manual because each edit identified in Litmus Proof needs to be done in your ESP or MAP and then imported again into Litmus Proof for review.
  • Phone Support is currently not available so you need to submit a support request and wait for a response. This can result in an endless trail of emails until you are escalated to a live support person.
  • It's sometimes difficult to find support documentation using the search feature which can be frustrating when you are in a hurry. This tool works best if you have a long lead time for development of emails or if you are an experienced Litmus user.
Litmus is well suited for companies with an organized process for email development. If the company is willing to devote time for the process, Litmus helps facilitate a high quality process flow. It's not appropriate for email development for organizations not willing to spend time on quality development of email processes.
This has reduced the time needed for edits and also clarified the changes to be made.
The interface is very simple and makes complex tasks easy to understand.
January 02, 2022

We love Litmus!

Litmus is an email marketing platform that helps me and my company on a day-to-day. We like to use this platform to collaborate with each other as well as with some of our clients. There [are] also many insights that I and my fellow colleagues are able to use, which has increased productivity for the company as a whole. Overall, the biggest business problem this product addresses is communication and productivity, and it has improved in both areas.
  • Facilitate communication
  • Increase producitivity
  • Manage multiple accounts
  • Improve marketing
  • Functionality could be better
  • The interface could look smoother
  • Reaching clients from other organizations was somewhat difficult
Some scenarios where Litmus has suited our company is when we are communicating by email company-wide or even within our teams. They have proved to be very accessible and easy to use when connecting with fellow colleagues. With that said, we have found it a little difficult to reach our clients using this platform from different organizations. The difficulty in this communication has only happened a handful of times but works very well otherwise.
My team and I have definitely used marketing emails to streamline email approval workflow and reduce review cycle time. [The] biggest way we do this is by creating a team task list to understand what needs to be done and what we can check off. This has really helped with productivity as we know what everyone in the team is doing and are able to better help those that could not necessarily complete a task.
December 21, 2021

Long time Litmus Lover!

Lindsay Harris | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Litmus to Q/A all of the emails that go out to our global audience (over 200,000 contacts). We make sure the design looks good across all devices/clients, and that there are no other flags (email size, subject line/preheader wording concerns) that would cause the email performance to be in jeopardy. It is part of our process to check every email in Litmus.
  • it simplifies and speeds up testing my content - the email previews are quick and easy to evaluate
  • The accessibility/link validation is also super helpful! The ALT tag reminder is especially helpful
  • The loading speed feature is great too! We like to report this back to other email creators when we see their emails taking a while to load.
  • Customer support is speedy but also we've had a hard time finding resolutions. Logging into Litmus within our email tool and on the website is not seamless, and we've never gotten a good answer as to why.
  • The price point is high for small businesses, I would hope they could offer something more cost flexible for those.
It's well suited for companies with a large audience, that sends out an abundance of emails with a lot of manual touching of the design. Also if there are many email creators in the company. The tool provides a quality control aspect that is virtually impossible if you were trying to do it manually. The email previews alone are invaluable.
We have not yet used the Litmus Proof feature. The email drafts go through (too) many hands in the project process, and we cannot offer access to the tool to 3rd party vendors (our proofreader is not in-house). But perhaps we will consider this option in the future if it can work with our access processes.
We primarily use Litmus to quality check emails, ensuring they render correctly across different email clients, and they do not have other issues like accessibility. We also use Litmus to track additional data such as email clients that are not tracked by the email service providers. We sometimes use it to troubleshoot coding issues with emails.
  • Check rendering of emails across different email clients
  • Identify non visual issues with emails such as accessibility
  • Track additional data with email sends such as email client used
  • Navigation of the new UI is a bit confusing
  • Tracking versions of the same email can be clunky depending on the email service provider
  • Can use some notification features e.g. soon-to-expire tracking codes, usage limit, etc.
Litmus has lots of features to help the workflow of email marketing. It could be beneficial to a team that can utilize most of those features, and integrate them with their email service provider. It has a nice user interface to share with external stakeholders (such as agencies with clients) to collaborate. Litmus pricing is on the higher side, so it may not work well for teams that only require the basic functions and are more focused on being cost-effective.
We have not to use Litmus' Proof feature.
We use Litmus to test emails on various email clients, including testing for Light vs Dark mode more recently. Without this service, our emails would break across multiple email clients that we don't have access to for testing.
  • Testing Outlook vs Gmail vs Apple and on older software or versions
  • Testing light vs dark mode in the code
  • Easy-to-use code editor and previewer
  • Subject line testing capabilities to compare how well a subject line might perform.
Litmus is imperative to our email testing. Without Litmus, we would be resigned to test our emails on whatever devices, versions, and clients are available to us, which is fairly limited. We would also not be comfortable testing new and cutting-edge coding methods for emails, as we could not predict how they would perform across various clients.
We have not used this feature yet.