Litmus Software in Cambridge, MA offers their email marketing solution Litmus, supporting email campaign building and best practice checklist, spam testing and resolution, proofing and feedback sharing, and email analytics.Litmus is the Holy Grail of Email TestingI am the sole user of Litmus (and our sole Email Marketer) and we use it to test how emails will render across all devices. I am primarily responsible for creating, testing, sending, and reporting on our emails, and know from personal experience that an email that looks or behaves poorly leads to an unsubscribe or ultimately a spam complaint. Litmus helps me ensure that no little mistake goes unnoticed. Code is very sensitive and the slightest mistake can cause all sorts of rendering problems, even if it looks perfect in Apple Mail. Outlook is notorious for emails acting wonky, and with Litmus, we are able to ensure that all our recipients get the same email experience regardless of what device they are using to view our emails.,Email rendering, of course! That is definitely their number one asset, and the thing they do best. While I have only the spam testing feature, the device rendering tool is incredibly invaluable. Imagine having to send an email to yourself (or a list of all your hundreds of email addresses and setting them up....) and checking it not on just your Mac and iPhone, but on your PC, your Android, your iPad, your Android tablet, your older PC with Outlook 2007, checking Samsung Mail on your Android, Google Inbox on your phone, Office 365, AOL.com, Hotmail on your various devices.... my head is spinning! Litmus takes away every bit of that annoyance and lets you view the rendering in one simple location. Litmus also offers great webinars to help email marketers with strategy (seriously, stop spamming people - it does more harm than you can see at face value), with email development (they won't teach you how to code but will teach you how to use the tools to their full potential), and with content that provides a holistic view of email marketing as a whole. These reports offer up real, hard data and include general trends that help email marketers understand what works, what doesn't, and where they need to go with it. The whole email testing experience with Litmus is a breeze. It's so easy to get started and understand, it almost feels like you're doing something wrong. I love having the history of past tests too, in case I want to compare various results.,This is more of a selfish nice-to-have, as I find no real, major issues with Litmus. But I'd like to see some sort of highlights within test results where code may have an issue. I use Sublime Text to make sure I'm coding properly, but it doesn't catch the tiny mistakes that aren't apparent in, for example, Apple Mail. I may see a perfect-looking email in Apple Mail but my colleague sees a strange mash-up of content blocks in Outlook on their PC. Being able to find the issue quickly within Litmus would be super cool, and I'd totally pay for that feature. Otherwise, I truly have no major issues and see no areas of major improvement other than cool new tools.,10,The price is absolutely worth the investment. We have seen increased engagement with emails (e.g., the heat map 'lights up' in more areas, a lower unsubscribe rate, and users scrolling further down the email) and the back-and-forth between me (the creator), and my testing team has been minimized because I can catch issues before sending out the email to be tested. It significantly reduces the time it takes to create, test, and schedule an email. While the webinars are free, they cost time. And they're almost always worth it, even if they're just on in the background. The State of Email content they generate - and offer FOR FREE (it's a LOT of data they're giving you for free) - is an amazing side bonus. They offer a ton of email productivity tips and really helpful content. And again, for free! Although I haven't really mentioned this in previous sections, the Builder tool is sometimes really useful to code in also. I generally preferred Sublime Text , but lately I've been using the Builder tool instead, as it allows you to see your code changes in real time (vs loading up previews each time). Then you can save it and preview across all devices. It's a huge time saver in that sense as well.,Email on Acid,1 to 5 million,B2C,Magento, Monetate, ListrakLitmus makes coding, and previewing emails super easyWe use Litmus in the marketing department to code and preview emails. We also have Salesforce, so the Litmus <> Salesforce integration has been super helpful in previewing emails with different clients right as we send. It helps us develop, build, preview, and send emails. It particularly helps us make sure that all of our emails will render correctly with different clients (Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, etc...).,Preview emails across different clients. Also makes it super easy to troubleshoot what the issues are and what in the code is causing the issue. Makes coding for both desktop and mobile very easy. Integration with Salesforce is clutch. It allows us to create, build and send emails with just 2 vendors, rather than multiple more.,Subject line, spam check, and preheader is sometimes hard to find, would be good to make it more prominent. Not sure how to use the analytics - would be good to have better overview of the additional features. I can't diagnose what's wrong with an email code until after I preview all the clients. It would be nice to be able to see the issues as i'm coding the emails.,10,Less time coding and troubleshooting emails,,Less than 10,000,B2C,Salesforce Marketing Cloud Email StudioA great tool that makes email marketing less nerve racking. Trust that what you see is what your prospects see.We use Litmus to ensure our emails look perfect every time. It doesn't have the widest user base, only 3 of us use it, but it is essential to our email marketing. We have a very strong brand and a lot of customer and prospects that use older technology which means we need to be careful about the emails we send out.,Multi-client email rendering Easy email testing, just send the email to Litmus and they will test it and give you the results Good source of information for email client differences,Better integration with marketing automation platforms More insight and recommendations based on how emails render Intelligent issue recognitions with fix recommendations.,10,Hard to measure the impact on ROI, this tool makes sure we can maintain our brand image.,25,000 to 100,000,B2B,Marketo, Outreach, LeanData Demand ManagementA must for any marketing agencyThe marketing team uses this to build email campaigns and templates. It helps take the guesswork out of writing emails that work.,Spam testing. Email template building. Email copy management.,Lack of integrations. Priced for agencies, not for small businesses. Lack of on-boarding support.,7,Learned how to write better converting emails.,10,000 to 25,000,B2CLitmus - shines a light on deliverablityWe use Litmus to check the sendablity of our emails. From if they are going to make it into the inbox or the junk folder or just disappear by the client (deliverability): we review how emails look in different clients and evaluate the "spammingness" of emails.,Look of emails in different clients on different devices Spamminess Deliverablity,Understanding how the clients are flagging as spam or junk.,9,Better Deliverability Impact on our Templates to improve look and feel by client/device so we have more interactions,B2B
Litmus

Litmus Reviews

Litmus
Filter 10 vetted Litmus reviews and ratings
Steffany Winkelmann profile photo
August 16, 2018

Review: "Litmus is the Holy Grail of Email Testing"

• Email rendering, of course! That is definitely their number one asset, and the thing they do best. While I have only the spam testing feature, the device rendering tool is incredibly invaluable. Imagine having to send an email to yourself (or a list of all your hundreds of email addresses and setting them up....) and checking it not on just your Mac and iPhone, but on your PC, your Android, your iPad, your Android tablet, your older PC with Outlook 2007, checking Samsung Mail on your Android, Google Inbox on your phone, Office 365, AOL.com, Hotmail on your various devices.... my head is spinning! Litmus takes away every bit of that annoyance and lets you view the rendering in one simple location.
  • Litmus also offers great webinars to help email marketers with strategy (seriously, stop spamming people - it does more harm than you can see at face value), with email development (they won't teach you how to code but will teach you how to use the tools to their full potential), and with content that provides a holistic view of email marketing as a whole. These reports offer up real, hard data and include general trends that help email marketers understand what works, what doesn't, and where they need to go with it.
  • The whole email testing experience with Litmus is a breeze. It's so easy to get started and understand, it almost feels like you're doing something wrong. I love having the history of past tests too, in case I want to compare various results.
  • This is more of a selfish nice-to-have, as I find no real, major issues with Litmus. But I'd like to see some sort of highlights within test results where code may have an issue. I use Sublime Text to make sure I'm coding properly, but it doesn't catch the tiny mistakes that aren't apparent in, for example, Apple Mail. I may see a perfect-looking email in Apple Mail but my colleague sees a strange mash-up of content blocks in Outlook on their PC. Being able to find the issue quickly within Litmus would be super cool, and I'd totally pay for that feature. Otherwise, I truly have no major issues and see no areas of major improvement other than cool new tools.
If you send bulk emails, you need Litmus. If you send small batches from like Gmail or send only plain-text emails, you don't need Litmus. It's pretty basic, and pretty simple. Litmus is a very powerful tool that has a wide reach; B2C users get the same experience as a B2B user. Plain text emails require testing with Litmus as there is no HTML/CSS to be concerned with.
Read Steffany Winkelmann's full review
Ziyu Wang profile photo
December 02, 2018

"Litmus makes coding, and previewing emails super easy"

• Preview emails across different clients. Also makes it super easy to troubleshoot what the issues are and what in the code is causing the issue.
  • Makes coding for both desktop and mobile very easy.
  • Integration with Salesforce is clutch. It allows us to create, build and send emails with just 2 vendors, rather than multiple more.
  • Subject line, spam check, and preheader is sometimes hard to find, would be good to make it more prominent.
  • Not sure how to use the analytics - would be good to have better overview of the additional features.
  • I can't diagnose what's wrong with an email code until after I preview all the clients. It would be nice to be able to see the issues as i'm coding the emails.
Litmus is great for coding and previewing emails. I have not used its project working features or any of the other features.
Read Ziyu Wang's full review
Andrew Sielen profile photo
December 02, 2018

Litmus Review: "A great tool that makes email marketing less nerve racking. Trust that what you see is what your prospects see."

• Multi-client email rendering
  • Easy email testing, just send the email to Litmus and they will test it and give you the results
  • Good source of information for email client differences
  • Better integration with marketing automation platforms
  • More insight and recommendations based on how emails render
  • Intelligent issue recognitions with fix recommendations.
It is a great tool for teams that do any amount of email marketing. Email HTML is a terrible beast to work with and I would not dare to do it without a tool like this. Not needed if you do not do mass email marketing or if you have total control over who receives your email and what clients they use.
Read Andrew Sielen's full review
Tim Berman profile photo
December 07, 2018

Litmus Review: "A must for any marketing agency"

• Spam testing.
  • Email template building.
  • Email copy management.
  • Lack of integrations.
  • Priced for agencies, not for small businesses.
  • Lack of on-boarding support.
If you are a marketing consultant or agency, this is right up your alley. If you're an independent business or marketer, you might check out GlockApps as a more affordable option.
Read Tim Berman's full review
Melissa Davies profile photo
December 06, 2018

Review: "Litmus - shines a light on deliverablity"

• Look of emails in different clients on different devices
  • Spamminess
  • Deliverablity
  • Understanding how the clients are flagging as spam or junk.
If you send emails in via a marketing automation tool (Marketo, Eloqua, Pardot) you should be testing every email send with Litmus.
Read Melissa Davies's full review
November 28, 2018

Litmus Review: "Useful but slow!"

We use Litmus on the Marketing Automation team to build and test emails before sending them in Marketo. Litmus allows us to see how emails will render across clients, ensure that the links function, ensure images are working, and make sure that our emails are not ending up in the spam folder. This tool is primarily used on our team, however, I believe that a few other teams have a license to create emails that they will send out.
  • Build emails that will render correctly in multiple clients.
  • Add tracking that lets you see on what device emails are read and for how long.
  • Send test emails that will tell you if your subject line, preview text, or content will trigger spam flags.
  • Speed. If we are using it properly with snippets and partials, it becomes intolerably slow
  • Search function. Keyword searches for projects frequently will not turn up what you are looking for
  • Auto save. If you leave your work for too long or someone else jumps into the code, your work is always lost
It is good for custom emails that are heavily designed where the look of it really matters. It is not good for standard text emails or ones in which you utilize a template.

Litmus Scorecard Summary