Litmus Software in Cambridge, MA offers their email marketing solution Litmus, supporting email campaign building and best practice checklist, spam testing and resolution, proofing and feedback sharing, and email analytics.Litmus is the tool for all your email experience and deliverability needsWe use Litmus to test email templates in different mail clients and browsers with the Litmus editor and also sending directly out of Pardot. This ensures that the email looks great in all of the different clients/browsers and the experience is the best. We also use the spam checker to verify content and deliverability of our emails.,Client and browser testing Email editor with live browser testing Spam tests and deliverability tests in different clients and browsers Community and posts by email experts,More ESP integrations Additional share options Additional user customizations,10,Deliverability increase Spam decrease More personalization based on mail clients and browsers,25,000 to 100,000,Both,Pardot, Salesforce Community Cloud, Magento Commerce Cloud (formerly Magento)Litmus and IWe use Litmus in the marketing department. As an Art Director, I need to preview how my emails will look across various email clients. Of course there are slight display variances between email clients, but mainly we're looking for catastrophic breakdowns in the email. Often times it finds a critical issue in Outlook... Outlook is kind of the buzz kill in email design.,Litmus gives an accurate preview of how emails appear across various email clients Litmus helps detect coding issues Litmus allows users on my team to share email previews and determine whether we need to make adjustments,If I recall correctly, there used to be a browser preview functionality that is no longer available. I miss that. I wish Litmus was able to detect why we're experiencing certain issues between email clients. It's probably wishful thinking at this point given all of the variables Litmus would need to consider in order to make a sound suggestion.,8,Litmus helps me sleep at night knowing my emails won't go out with messed up code. If there is an issue with an email that someone (not me) sends, we're able to track whether they tested it in Litmus or not.,,250,000 to 1 million,BothLitmus is the Holy Grail of Email TestingI am the sole user of Litmus (and our sole Email Marketer) and we use it to test how emails will render across all devices. I am primarily responsible for creating, testing, sending, and reporting on our emails, and know from personal experience that an email that looks or behaves poorly leads to an unsubscribe or ultimately a spam complaint. Litmus helps me ensure that no little mistake goes unnoticed. Code is very sensitive and the slightest mistake can cause all sorts of rendering problems, even if it looks perfect in Apple Mail. Outlook is notorious for emails acting wonky, and with Litmus, we are able to ensure that all our recipients get the same email experience regardless of what device they are using to view our emails.,Email rendering, of course! That is definitely their number one asset, and the thing they do best. While I have only the spam testing feature, the device rendering tool is incredibly invaluable. Imagine having to send an email to yourself (or a list of all your hundreds of email addresses and setting them up....) and checking it not on just your Mac and iPhone, but on your PC, your Android, your iPad, your Android tablet, your older PC with Outlook 2007, checking Samsung Mail on your Android, Google Inbox on your phone, Office 365, AOL.com, Hotmail on your various devices.... my head is spinning! Litmus takes away every bit of that annoyance and lets you view the rendering in one simple location. Litmus also offers great webinars to help email marketers with strategy (seriously, stop spamming people - it does more harm than you can see at face value), with email development (they won't teach you how to code but will teach you how to use the tools to their full potential), and with content that provides a holistic view of email marketing as a whole. These reports offer up real, hard data and include general trends that help email marketers understand what works, what doesn't, and where they need to go with it. The whole email testing experience with Litmus is a breeze. It's so easy to get started and understand, it almost feels like you're doing something wrong. I love having the history of past tests too, in case I want to compare various results.,This is more of a selfish nice-to-have, as I find no real, major issues with Litmus. But I'd like to see some sort of highlights within test results where code may have an issue. I use Sublime Text to make sure I'm coding properly, but it doesn't catch the tiny mistakes that aren't apparent in, for example, Apple Mail. I may see a perfect-looking email in Apple Mail but my colleague sees a strange mash-up of content blocks in Outlook on their PC. Being able to find the issue quickly within Litmus would be super cool, and I'd totally pay for that feature. Otherwise, I truly have no major issues and see no areas of major improvement other than cool new tools.,10,The price is absolutely worth the investment. We have seen increased engagement with emails (e.g., the heat map 'lights up' in more areas, a lower unsubscribe rate, and users scrolling further down the email) and the back-and-forth between me (the creator), and my testing team has been minimized because I can catch issues before sending out the email to be tested. It significantly reduces the time it takes to create, test, and schedule an email. While the webinars are free, they cost time. And they're almost always worth it, even if they're just on in the background. The State of Email content they generate - and offer FOR FREE (it's a LOT of data they're giving you for free) - is an amazing side bonus. They offer a ton of email productivity tips and really helpful content. And again, for free! Although I haven't really mentioned this in previous sections, the Builder tool is sometimes really useful to code in also. I generally preferred Sublime Text , but lately I've been using the Builder tool instead, as it allows you to see your code changes in real time (vs loading up previews each time). Then you can save it and preview across all devices. It's a huge time saver in that sense as well.,Email on Acid,1 to 5 million,B2C,Magento, Monetate, ListrakLitmus makes coding, and previewing emails super easyWe use Litmus in the marketing department to code and preview emails. We also have Salesforce, so the Litmus <> Salesforce integration has been super helpful in previewing emails with different clients right as we send. It helps us develop, build, preview, and send emails. It particularly helps us make sure that all of our emails will render correctly with different clients (Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, etc...).,Preview emails across different clients. Also makes it super easy to troubleshoot what the issues are and what in the code is causing the issue. Makes coding for both desktop and mobile very easy. Integration with Salesforce is clutch. It allows us to create, build and send emails with just 2 vendors, rather than multiple more.,Subject line, spam check, and preheader is sometimes hard to find, would be good to make it more prominent. Not sure how to use the analytics - would be good to have better overview of the additional features. I can't diagnose what's wrong with an email code until after I preview all the clients. It would be nice to be able to see the issues as i'm coding the emails.,10,Less time coding and troubleshooting emails,,Less than 10,000,B2C,Salesforce Marketing Cloud Email StudioA great tool that makes email marketing less nerve racking. Trust that what you see is what your prospects see.We use Litmus to ensure our emails look perfect every time. It doesn't have the widest user base, only 3 of us use it, but it is essential to our email marketing. We have a very strong brand and a lot of customer and prospects that use older technology which means we need to be careful about the emails we send out.,Multi-client email rendering Easy email testing, just send the email to Litmus and they will test it and give you the results Good source of information for email client differences,Better integration with marketing automation platforms More insight and recommendations based on how emails render Intelligent issue recognitions with fix recommendations.,10,Hard to measure the impact on ROI, this tool makes sure we can maintain our brand image.,25,000 to 100,000,B2B,Marketo, Outreach, LeanData Demand Management
Litmus

Litmus Reviews

Litmus
Filter 15 vetted Litmus reviews and ratings

Sherice Dominguez profile photo
December 17, 2018

Review: "Litmus is the tool for all your email experience and deliverability needs"

• Client and browser testing
  • Email editor with live browser testing
  • Spam tests and deliverability tests in different clients and browsers
  • Community and posts by email experts
  • More ESP integrations
  • Additional share options
  • Additional user customizations
Litmus is a great tool for the entire email marketing process from code, testing, deliverability and analytics. You see how the customer is also interacting with your email through a snippet of code placed in the email. You can see how long they've read your email, the clients they've read them in and overall interaction.
Read Sherice Dominguez's full review
Derrick Phipps profile photo
December 19, 2018

User Review: "Litmus and I"

• Litmus gives an accurate preview of how emails appear across various email clients
  • Litmus helps detect coding issues
  • Litmus allows users on my team to share email previews and determine whether we need to make adjustments
  • If I recall correctly, there used to be a browser preview functionality that is no longer available. I miss that.
  • I wish Litmus was able to detect why we're experiencing certain issues between email clients. It's probably wishful thinking at this point given all of the variables Litmus would need to consider in order to make a sound suggestion.
Litmus is great if you need to create a simple email that works well across a number of email clients. Litmus has a number of templates that can help you put together a polished email very quickly. Litmus could use a bit of help in organizing projects in folders. At the moment the way you search for a particular project is via keyword or looking them up based upon when they were created.
Read Derrick Phipps's full review
Steffany Winkelmann profile photo
August 16, 2018

Review: "Litmus is the Holy Grail of Email Testing"

• Email rendering, of course! That is definitely their number one asset, and the thing they do best. While I have only the spam testing feature, the device rendering tool is incredibly invaluable. Imagine having to send an email to yourself (or a list of all your hundreds of email addresses and setting them up....) and checking it not on just your Mac and iPhone, but on your PC, your Android, your iPad, your Android tablet, your older PC with Outlook 2007, checking Samsung Mail on your Android, Google Inbox on your phone, Office 365, AOL.com, Hotmail on your various devices.... my head is spinning! Litmus takes away every bit of that annoyance and lets you view the rendering in one simple location.
  • Litmus also offers great webinars to help email marketers with strategy (seriously, stop spamming people - it does more harm than you can see at face value), with email development (they won't teach you how to code but will teach you how to use the tools to their full potential), and with content that provides a holistic view of email marketing as a whole. These reports offer up real, hard data and include general trends that help email marketers understand what works, what doesn't, and where they need to go with it.
  • The whole email testing experience with Litmus is a breeze. It's so easy to get started and understand, it almost feels like you're doing something wrong. I love having the history of past tests too, in case I want to compare various results.
  • This is more of a selfish nice-to-have, as I find no real, major issues with Litmus. But I'd like to see some sort of highlights within test results where code may have an issue. I use Sublime Text to make sure I'm coding properly, but it doesn't catch the tiny mistakes that aren't apparent in, for example, Apple Mail. I may see a perfect-looking email in Apple Mail but my colleague sees a strange mash-up of content blocks in Outlook on their PC. Being able to find the issue quickly within Litmus would be super cool, and I'd totally pay for that feature. Otherwise, I truly have no major issues and see no areas of major improvement other than cool new tools.
If you send bulk emails, you need Litmus. If you send small batches from like Gmail or send only plain-text emails, you don't need Litmus. It's pretty basic, and pretty simple. Litmus is a very powerful tool that has a wide reach; B2C users get the same experience as a B2B user. Plain text emails require testing with Litmus as there is no HTML/CSS to be concerned with.
Read Steffany Winkelmann's full review
Ziyu Wang profile photo
December 02, 2018

"Litmus makes coding, and previewing emails super easy"

• Preview emails across different clients. Also makes it super easy to troubleshoot what the issues are and what in the code is causing the issue.
  • Makes coding for both desktop and mobile very easy.
  • Integration with Salesforce is clutch. It allows us to create, build and send emails with just 2 vendors, rather than multiple more.
  • Subject line, spam check, and preheader is sometimes hard to find, would be good to make it more prominent.
  • Not sure how to use the analytics - would be good to have better overview of the additional features.
  • I can't diagnose what's wrong with an email code until after I preview all the clients. It would be nice to be able to see the issues as i'm coding the emails.
Litmus is great for coding and previewing emails. I have not used its project working features or any of the other features.
Read Ziyu Wang's full review
Andrew Sielen profile photo
December 02, 2018

Litmus Review: "A great tool that makes email marketing less nerve racking. Trust that what you see is what your prospects see."

• Multi-client email rendering
  • Easy email testing, just send the email to Litmus and they will test it and give you the results
  • Good source of information for email client differences
  • Better integration with marketing automation platforms
  • More insight and recommendations based on how emails render
  • Intelligent issue recognitions with fix recommendations.
It is a great tool for teams that do any amount of email marketing. Email HTML is a terrible beast to work with and I would not dare to do it without a tool like this. Not needed if you do not do mass email marketing or if you have total control over who receives your email and what clients they use.
Read Andrew Sielen's full review
Tim Berman profile photo
December 07, 2018

Litmus Review: "A must for any marketing agency"

The marketing team uses this to build email campaigns and templates. It helps take the guesswork out of writing emails that work.
  • Spam testing.
  • Email template building.
  • Email copy management.
  • Lack of integrations.
  • Priced for agencies, not for small businesses.
  • Lack of on-boarding support.
If you are a marketing consultant or agency, this is right up your alley. If you're an independent business or marketer, you might check out GlockApps as a more affordable option.
Read Tim Berman's full review
Melissa Davies profile photo
December 06, 2018

Review: "Litmus - shines a light on deliverablity"

We use Litmus to check the sendablity of our emails. From if they are going to make it into the inbox or the junk folder or just disappear by the client (deliverability): we review how emails look in different clients and evaluate the "spammingness" of emails.
  • Look of emails in different clients on different devices
  • Spamminess
  • Deliverablity
  • Understanding how the clients are flagging as spam or junk.
If you send emails in via a marketing automation tool (Marketo, Eloqua, Pardot) you should be testing every email send with Litmus.
Read Melissa Davies's full review
December 15, 2018

"Litmus, handy for template review"

I am currently using Litmus in my current role of building and testing the email templates that we use for all our templated emails. It allows us to make sure that all of our templated emails will pull in properly to all of the different email platforms from Outlook 13-16, to Gmail for example, and all the different screen sizes. This allows us to determine if the emails are responding as we'd like and that all the images are pulling in properly.
  • Editing code.
  • Figuring out where the mistakes are in the code, but it is difficult in programs such as Marketo.
  • Showing how the email will be rendered across all the different email platforms.
  • Calling out the errors in code in a more explicit manner
  • Explaining what the problems are within the templates
  • Pulling in tokens to check the functionality of them to ensure they pull with the correct sizes and will fit properly within the different screen sizes and email platforms
Litmus is great for checking how well email templates work and will interact with different email platforms and screen sizes. It is useful for editing codes and finding errors and it color codes certain parts of code in similar colors so that you are able to more easily read the code and find the places where the errors are occurring. Whereas when trying to do this in Marketo it is more difficult.
November 28, 2018

Litmus Review: "Useful but slow!"

We use Litmus on the Marketing Automation team to build and test emails before sending them in Marketo. Litmus allows us to see how emails will render across clients, ensure that the links function, ensure images are working, and make sure that our emails are not ending up in the spam folder. This tool is primarily used on our team, however, I believe that a few other teams have a license to create emails that they will send out.
  • Build emails that will render correctly in multiple clients.
  • Add tracking that lets you see on what device emails are read and for how long.
  • Send test emails that will tell you if your subject line, preview text, or content will trigger spam flags.
  • Speed. If we are using it properly with snippets and partials, it becomes intolerably slow
  • Search function. Keyword searches for projects frequently will not turn up what you are looking for
  • Auto save. If you leave your work for too long or someone else jumps into the code, your work is always lost
It is good for custom emails that are heavily designed where the look of it really matters. It is not good for standard text emails or ones in which you utilize a template.

Litmus Scorecard Summary

WYSIWYG email editor (4)
Dynamic content (1)
Ability to test dynamic content (1)
A/B testing (1)