HC3: Flexibility AND Performancehttps://www.trustradius.com/hyper-converged-infrastructureScale Computing HC3Unspecified9.72411012019-02-22T19:18:09.452Z
February 22, 2019
HC3: Flexibility AND Performance
Score 10 out of 101
Overall Satisfaction with Scale Computing HC3
Scale HC3 has replaced our traditional stack of servers, storage, and networking for our entire organization. We have two clusters, a one node, and a three node. Implementation of HC3 reduced our server refresh cost by 40% and provided a flexible architecture where, going forward, we can add or replace nodes on a planned periodic basis rather than monolithic refreshes every four years. The ease of deployment and maintenance are a significant benefit to our small organization.
- Simplified management. Management of the cluster is via a single web interface, it is simple and does not require extensive training to navigate or operate making it accessible to mid-level staff.
- The flexibility of the hardware mix within a cluster. Allowing a variety of hardware levels and ages within a cluster and the system's ability to assigned loads to best leverage this mix of hardware allows us to manage cost by not "over buying" hardware capacity to meet a few high demand workloads.
- Support by Scale. We have had few needs to contact support which is the first plus, but secondly, when we have had needs or questions responses have been prompt and accurate with first contact resolution.
- The tools for migrating to the HC3 platform have a few issues and caused issues with some security keys and certificates. After a couple issues we ended up migrating key servers by using a fresh build and migrating data with was more disruptive but more successful.
Support calls have been few but all have been answered by US-based technicians that were knowledgable and in most cases resulted in first call resolution of the issue.
Primary loads in our environment are databases (MS SQL and Postgress) as well as file and document management. These all have high demand and IO activity and the platform has responded well to these demands.
- The platform saved us 40% at deployment vs. traditional alternative and was a substantially smaller investment that alternative hyper-convergence solutions with similar performance specifications.
- We have been able to reduce head-count by one with the HC3 platform in place.
- We have been able to eliminate the annual licensing cost associated with VMware which added to the ROI of HC3.
We considered Simplivity and Nutanix. HC3 compared well against both, seemed more flexible from a hardware standpoint, and allowed for easier incremental refresh and expansion. HC3 also eliminated the need and cost for VMware.