https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/lK/gH/FOEFG20KWALI.JPEGScale is wonderful, not only as a virtualization platform but for increased DR capabilities as well.It is used across the whole organization. We use it as our core VM platform.,Snapshotting - Scale is great at scheduled snapshots to add a layer of redundancy to any DR plan. it can also send snapshots to a remote scale system to act as a VM platform and a DR platform all at once Cloning - If there is an issue with a machine, it is extremely easy to clone it and work on it outside of production Ease of use - overall getting it set up required 2 or 3 command line commands and the nodes did all the work themselves. Uploading ISOs is easier in Scale than any other hypervisor I've ever used,More support for importing VMs from XenCenter I wish the main interface was more organized, I know the users can make it very organized by using tags and such, but by default, it is very chaotic Better logs for admins to understand what is going on. The current logs don't let us know anything outside of knowing we need to contact support,10,10,Everything from active directory to banking software. It is easy to scale up, not so much to scale down.,The best overall thing I can say about Scale is the increased DR support. If something fails with the scheduled snapshots we have a 10-minute recovery window so we never lose more than 10 minutes of data.Scale HC3 ReviewWe replaced our entire physical server environment for a virtual scale environment. It is more economical to maintain and grow than a physical server environment. It provides many additional features including automated notifications of server issues or outages, visibility of server status and ability to remotely control a server the same as a physical server.,Centralized server management Quick visibility of the health of the server environment. It provides tools to provide a quick glance at the infrastructure Increased backup/redundancy of data without additional products or implementations,More server statistics in the environment window History of CPU usage, disk space/usage/ net traffic. It is currently being monitored but not logged. Ability to customize reports and automate the e-mailing of those reports.,10,10,Primarily it runs our Point of Sale infrastructure.,Server uptime and overall health Immediate availability for growth or increase in server infrastructure without additional hardware costs,Scale Computing HC3, the right fit for SMBWe use Scale Computing HC3 for our Hyper Cluster environment. We have been migrating our VMWare clients to the HC3 environment.,HC3 makes it very easy to set up VM clients. They provide graphical feedback of CPU Utilization and IOPs for each of the running clients. Setting up snapshot schedule is a breeze. With a DR Cluster, the snapshots can be transmitted to a DR Cluster for additional redundancy.,Rolling back to a previous snapshot is not as intuitive as other vendor offerings. You must clone the snapshot and then boot the clone to roll back to a previous snapshot.,10,10,We run all of the servers that host our DB, email, and vertical market applications on the HC3 environment.,We have saved a tremendous amount on maintenance cost, previously paying for maintenance on our servers, SAN and virtualization OS. The maintenance cost for HC3 covers all three categories and is less than what we were paying before.,VMware ESXiThe small business best asset - ScaleWe implemented Scale Computing this year and it is being used as our production environment. We chose Scale due to its affordability and it being a hyper-converged solution. We were on old hardware storing all data locally on Hyper-V servers. The move to Scale gave us redundancy and flexibility at a lower price point than the competition.,Their customer support is the best I have ever experienced. On your first email or call you get a service tech that is ready to answer your question right away. The implementation was fairly simple and converting VMs seemed like a breeze. It took some time, but it worked well.,My Microsoft licenses sometimes wouldn't pull over in the migrate process and I would have to re-enter my license code. I'm not sure if it depended upon the OS or why it didn't work 100% of the time.,9,10,We have a ERP software for manufacturing tracking built on an SQL back end and it runs smoothly on Scale. All accounts payable software along with the sales team CRM also successfully striving on this setup.,We were in dire need of new infrastructure and were looking at spending quite a bit on hardware. We were introduced to Scale through a vendor and after one meeting I realized I could achieve our goals at a fraction of the cost.Scale HC3 - a great hyper-converged solution for SMBWe use Scale to run all the virtual servers in our environment, including Windows file servers, active directory, DNS, and Exchange. We also have a DR cluster attached where we replicate all of those servers. This allows us, as a smaller company, to save on the cost of physical servers and have a reliable virtual environment.,Ease of use - initial setup is very simple, and setting up and using virtual machines through their GUI is even simpler. Customer Support - super fast response times, and very knowledgeable staff. I wish all support teams I deal with were as good as Scale. Scaleability - adding new nodes is a breeze.,Difficult to resize virtual hard drives.,10,10,The most important business-critical application we run on HC3 is Exchange. Everyone knows how important e-mail is in today's business environment. I fully trust in our HC3 environment to keep it, along with our other critical applications running 100% of the time.,The ROI has been fantastic - saved us thousands of dollars in licensing and hardware costs. Ease of use has saved massive amounts of time in setup and management.,VMware ESXi
Windows, Linux, Unix
Scale Computing HC3

Scale Computing HC3 Reviews

Scale Computing HC3
Filter 165 vetted Scale Computing HC3 reviews and ratings

Greg Madden, CISSP profile photo
October 02, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale is wonderful, not only as a virtualization platform but for increased DR capabilities as well."

It is used across the whole organization. We use it as our core VM platform.
  • Snapshotting - Scale is great at scheduled snapshots to add a layer of redundancy to any DR plan. it can also send snapshots to a remote scale system to act as a VM platform and a DR platform all at once
  • Cloning - If there is an issue with a machine, it is extremely easy to clone it and work on it outside of production
  • Ease of use - overall getting it set up required 2 or 3 command line commands and the nodes did all the work themselves. Uploading ISOs is easier in Scale than any other hypervisor I've ever used
  • More support for importing VMs from XenCenter
  • I wish the main interface was more organized, I know the users can make it very organized by using tags and such, but by default, it is very chaotic
  • Better logs for admins to understand what is going on. The current logs don't let us know anything outside of knowing we need to contact support
Any virtual environment, scale works great. highly recommended based on my experience with it
Read Greg Madden, CISSP's full review
Jon Brantner profile photo
September 24, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale HC3 Review"

• Centralized server management
  • Quick visibility of the health of the server environment. It provides tools to provide a quick glance at the infrastructure
  • Increased backup/redundancy of data without additional products or implementations
  • More server statistics in the environment window
  • History of CPU usage, disk space/usage/ net traffic. It is currently being monitored but not logged.
  • Ability to customize reports and automate the e-mailing of those reports.
It is a great virtualization product for the small to mid-sized market space.
Primarily it runs our Point of Sale infrastructure.
Read Jon Brantner's full review
Sam Paulissian profile photo
September 24, 2018

Review: "Scale Computing HC3, the right fit for SMB"

• HC3 makes it very easy to set up VM clients. They provide graphical feedback of CPU Utilization and IOPs for each of the running clients.
  • Setting up snapshot schedule is a breeze.
  • With a DR Cluster, the snapshots can be transmitted to a DR Cluster for additional redundancy.
  • Rolling back to a previous snapshot is not as intuitive as other vendor offerings. You must clone the snapshot and then boot the clone to roll back to a previous snapshot.
For the small/medium business that needs a virtualized environment, I found HC3 to be more cost-effective. I no longer need to have a vendor for my SAN, a vendor for my servers and a vendor for my virtualization environment.
Read Sam Paulissian's full review
Tyler Johnson profile photo
September 24, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "The small business best asset - Scale"

• Their customer support is the best I have ever experienced. On your first email or call you get a service tech that is ready to answer your question right away.
  • The implementation was fairly simple and converting VMs seemed like a breeze. It took some time, but it worked well.
  • My Microsoft licenses sometimes wouldn't pull over in the migrate process and I would have to re-enter my license code. I'm not sure if it depended upon the OS or why it didn't work 100% of the time.
For the typical small business, Scale is the perfect solution. Great customer service and help along the way.
Read Tyler Johnson's full review
Josh Cope profile photo
September 24, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale HC3 - a great hyper-converged solution for SMB"

• Ease of use - initial setup is very simple, and setting up and using virtual machines through their GUI is even simpler.
  • Customer Support - super fast response times, and very knowledgeable staff. I wish all support teams I deal with were as good as Scale.
  • Scaleability - adding new nodes is a breeze.
  • Difficult to resize virtual hard drives.
With a combination of great pricing, ease of use, top-notch support, and scalability, Scale Computing really hits the mark for the small and medium business market. They really make things a lot easier for companies with minimal IT staff.
Read Josh Cope's full review
Justin Hall profile photo
September 24, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "More Scale Please"

We currently use Scale Computing at our headquarters to host roughly 25 servers that range from application servers to file servers to domain controllers. Scale gave us simplicity to manage our infrastructure. It's also saving us on the bottom line.
  • The replication of VMs betweens nodes is incredibly fast. We can recover servers from snapshots very quickly.
  • We are saving on VMWare costs by not having to renew licenses for VMWare.
  • With Scale's next update, we'll have the capability to do file level restoration.
  • When migrating to Scale, it seemed like we we're basically 'tricking' the virtual machine into being a Scale file. So the ability to more easily migrate to Scale would be recommended.
  • As of right now, to restore a file, we basically restore an entire VM from a snapshot rather than restoring just that file.
  • A lesser option should be available for smaller offices that only have 2 virtual servers.
Cost alone, we no longer have VMware licenses, we could possibly move away from Veeam in the near future. Managing snapshots is much easier than VMWare. A non-technical person could learn Scale in less than a day.
We currently run all of our domain environment in Scale and several application servers. It's mostly file sharing and print services. We haven't noticed any decline in performance since moving to Scale.
Read Justin Hall's full review
Brad Jurgensen profile photo
October 05, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Best HCI solution? Look no farther than Scale Computing"

Scale Computing HC3 node cluster allowed our company to go from a rack of 10 servers to a 3 node redundant 100% virtualized server environment that is used for our entire organization. With an IT staff of one, the simplicity of setup and use and having 1 management console to administer all our virtualized servers has allowed our business to focus on process improvements.
  • Ease of management- 1 console to manage all virtualized servers. Console gives you detailed information regarding your virtualized environment which includes disk use, CPU usage, IOPS, and latency
  • Built-in replication- no additional cost to replicate to a similar scale cluster at a remote DR site. Also, availability to replicate to Google cloud for DR now as well.
  • Zero downtime- With a 3-node cluster any node failure automatically replicates any virtualized servers on that node to the remaining two nodes. Rolling upgrades to firmware for nodes means no downtime.
  • Additional resources- If resources (CPU, RAM, DISK) are running low on existing cluster it's really simple to add additional node(s) to increase resources.
  • Support- World class support. Chat functions to reach technicians quickly and most problems are resolved in a relative short amount of time. My average time to reach a support rep is usually less than 5 minutes.
  • Work with more vendors on a desktop virtualization solution.
Scale Computing is a highly recommended solution for SMB. If you are looking for an ideal solution to migrate to a virtualized environment without all the extra added costs this is what the HC3 is designed for.
We currently run Microsoft Exchange server, Microsoft SQL server and our ERP software on the Scale Cluster.

The ability to manage resources allocated and type of disk used (Flash vs. spinning disk) for volumes assigned to the server has made the applications run as highly efficiently as possible.
Read Brad Jurgensen's full review
Patrick Taylor profile photo
April 04, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale out performs"

We have moved most of our physical servers to Scale over the last few years and have added another cluster to our system for high availability. We have radius servers, domain controllers, DHCP servers, Exchange and SQL to name a few that are currently running on Scale. This cluster will be at another location as part of our DR as well. Ease of use and not having to worry about licensing is a huge plus not to mention their support is the best I have found. We serve over 8000 users each day on our network and Scale is a huge part of that.
  • Their support is amazing should you need. Although it has been very reliable.
  • Ease of use.
  • Performance
  • Scale-ability
  • For most shops their dashboard gives plenty of information; however, some of the more technical users may want a little more information. With that said it is improving.
It is perfect in a school setting because of the flexibility, ability to add more nodes on the fly and ease of use. They have great support available 24/7 which is extremely helpful since a lot of our work is done during non normal business hours.

I could see it being very useful in a medium business as well.
We ran a 1000 user mailbox Exchange server for 3 years on Scale and the performance was excellent. We are running about 40 different servers and they all perform very well.
Read Patrick Taylor's full review
Brian Dunk profile photo
January 23, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Simply Amazing, the Node Cluster that can't be beat!"

We use the Scale Computing HC3 across our whole organization to supply our Staff and customers with our software application. This infrastructure solves the issue we had with stability and redundancy when using servers in the past. Since purchasing and upgrading to this node cluster, we have never been happier or more confident in our solution to support our staff and clients.
  • Hardware redundancy. Although I haven't had a need to use it yet, I know that all main failure points of any hardware has a redundant secondary to pick up in any failures.
  • Easy upgrade; to update the Hyper visor or installing a new node is simple and easy to do. The configuration is a simple step by step process that even a non Techy person can follow.
  • Automatic Snapshots; with the latest update for automatic Snapshots & Backups, I can control what backup schedule I want and mange my snap shots with ease
  • VM Creation. I am constantly creating new Virtual machines for my programmers. With the easy to use tools provided by Scale, I can have a new VM up and running in seconds.
  • Automatic Exports. Although they have the ability to create scheduled snap shots, I am waiting on the tool to allow us to automatically create exporting schedules to a 3rd party NAS
  • Historical Reports, the Hypervisor allows us to see real-time reports of our cluster, but it would be nice to have detailed historical reports of this data to look for patterns in our software resources
I cannot really foresee where Scale Computing HC3 is less appropriate. They have different packages for clusters that works for small to large size businesses. We resell our software to other vendors to supply to their clients and we will only support the Scale Computing HC3 cluster to install our application due to its capabilities, easy to use and amazing support from their help desk. We started off as a small to medium size business when I was introduced to Scale. From there we have been slowly increasing in our business size. Scale follows along beside us and is able to assist in our expansion at a moment's notice.
Currently I have run the following applications critical to my business: Exchange 2013 & 2016, Active Directory 2008 & 2016, Sage CRM, Sage Accounting, LDAPs, Custom Applications, Sharepoint and many more. All applications I've installed have worked flawlessly on the Scale Computer HC3. Thanks to the assistance of their Support, I was even able to receive assistance in some of the install when I had questions about different drivers.
Read Brian Dunk's full review
Travis Smith profile photo
January 23, 2018

"Scale Computing HC3 Review"

Scale Computing HC3 is being used across the organization to host several virtual server instances. It helps address our need for multiple, specialized, virtual servers, including redundant domain controllers, file servers, document management and enterprise resource planning servers. The separation of these server roles allows for finer control of potential downtime and reduces end-user impact.
  • Virtual machine snapshots are an absolute breeze to create, store and recover if needed.
  • The interface is incredibly intuitive and easy to use.
  • Remote virtual machine management can be completed completely through a web interface rather than Remote Desktop Services, reducing our vulnerability footprint.
  • The amount of RAM you specify when ordering the system is not completely available for virtual machines. You need to calculate the ability for VMs to fail over to remaining nodes in the event a single node fails.
  • Integration with backup product vendors is severely lacking, causing difficulty in backing up full snapshots off site.
  • The interface login is a simple username and password. It would be nice to integrate two-factor authentication to increase security.
Scale Computing HC3 is very well suited to the medium business running multiple, complex business applications needing separation of server instances. Additionally, the ability to create seamless fail over and redundancy make Scale Computing HC3 an ideal choice for business continuity.

Scale Computing HC3's price point makes it a difficult sell to smaller business who may have a need, but not the capital to invest at this level.
I have run Active Directory, DNS, DHCP and DFS on multiple servers with complete fail over. Additionally, I am running enterprise resource management, document management, a web server and auditing/monitoring on separate server instances all on the same Scale cluster. Overall the system is running flawlessly. Additionally, I have the peace of mind that the hardware is fault tolerant as well, providing instant fail over protection in the event a node goes down.
Read Travis Smith's full review
Gerry Wisnoski profile photo
January 19, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Time to Replace VMware ESXi and Microsoft Hyper-V with Scale HC3"

Scale Computing HC3 is being used across the whole organization with a cluster at the corporate office configured for full two-way replication with another cluster at a branch office. This provides complete disaster recovery capability for both sites. Performance of both clusters is outstanding. Operational maintenance is almost non-existent. Setting up replication required only providing the name and administrator credentials for the remote cluster -- amazingly simple and automatic.
  • Firmware updates are a non-event. They are released about twice a year and when you are ready to apply the update, you just click the button to authorize it. Then it just happens automatically, rolling from one server to the next with no down time. Of course you should verify that you have a full set of backups first and probably will want to do this during a "quieter" time but you could do it in the middle of a work day with only minor performance impact.
  • Any agent-based VM backup, like Veeam Backup & Replication, works fine.
  • I like that the failure of a disk drive is not a critical-level event. The cluster raises an alarm, automatically ensures that all data is re-duplicated, and a replacement disk is sent to you the next day for hot-swap. During the disk failure event all you have is just a little less disk storage available.
  • The HEAT system which automatically migrates active data between fast SSD disks and the usual spinning kind as required to meet your performance priorities, is completely hands off.
  • The recent addition of automatic disk data deduplication means better performance and less disk space usage.
  • Taking snapshots is almost instant and does not "cost" additional disk space.
  • Growth is amazingly simple and easy to do -- just rack another node, add it to the cluster then walk away -- in short time it's a fully functioning member of the cluster sharing the load.
  • HC3 Cloud Unity with Google Cloud Platform is an unmatched hybrid cloud solution. Usually hybrid Clouds require lots of very sophisticated networking to tie the local network to the cloud network -- Unity does all of this automatically and transparently -- the Cloud instance looks like it's on your local LAN. A single Scale HC3 web interface can manage your local and remote on-prem instances together with your cloud instance.
  • Scheduling of snapshots is fairly flexible but a little restricted when combined with Replication. Looking forward to the next major firmware release where this is scheduled to be improved.
  • There is a single-node server available for remote offices but it would be nice to have a two-node version for those small offices to be able to avoid all down time (for updates).
The entry level configuration for a completely redundant cluster is 3 small nodes for about $35,000. Currently the maximum size is 8 much larger capacity nodes, but there is a plan to increase that. Replication between clusters couldn't be any easier or automatic. The Scale HC3 architecture makes this platform an excellent candidate to exploit the tremendous I/O performance available with NVMe.
If your company provides services or support on a 24x7 basis you just can't ever be down. Exchange email, SQL Server databases, web servers, ERP App Servers, File & RDSH servers -- nothing can go down because you need it all of the time. There's no time for down time to do maintenance or increase capacity. Scale HC3 gives you all of that. Also, who wants to spend so much time keeping all of that virtualization infrastructure updated -- Scale HC3 remove 90-95% of the maintenance work required to keep a VMware or Hyper-V Cluster with shared storage secure and updated.
Read Gerry Wisnoski's full review
Mikolay Bujak profile photo
February 05, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Three year review of Scale's HC3"

The HC3 was implemented by a client as a company-wide infrastructure replacement for both physical systems as well as an existing VMware cluster. It replaced 7 physical servers that were quite old, and the two node VMware cluster had one host that was past it's prime. VMware needed to be upgraded, and after looking at the hardware and software costs, the HC3 was a simple decision.
  • Ease of Use - the interface is simple, clean, and intuitive enough that if you have ever used any virtualization platform you really don't need any training to get going.
  • Ease of Implementation - Once the hardware is mounted, a configuration was performed remotely by scale. They assisted in switch setup by providing requirements, and the cluster itself was done by a technician on the phone with you. It was really running a few commands to initialize the cluster and after that, anything that came up they took care of.
  • We had a node failure, and nobody knew. The system kept chugging along without interruption (that anyone could tell). After one phone call, we had the replacement the next day. The cluster was reinitialized and everything worked without having to schedule any downtime.
  • System updates are essentially a click of a button. Everything then is handled behind the scenes. I had one update timeout, and a quick call later (on a Saturday no less), it was deduced that it was a timeout issue. After adjusting the timeout, the update ran fine.
  • The trade off for many of the complexities of management are taken care of behind the scenes, is that you are limited on many of the configuration options one is used to in other virtualization platforms. That is not to say it is by any means simplistic or inflexible and if you are looking for a system that does not require weeks of training and experience to manage, this is it.
  • With the simplicity of the interface, troubleshooting some issues like email notifications can become difficult.
  • If you have a small infrastructure that is moving into a hybrid cloud environment, it can be a bit cost prohibitive.
It's great if you need an infrastructure in a box. With the added benefits of being able to scale up and provide replication across multiple locations, it really does do much of what may be needed. It is particularly well suited for simpler environments where you may not need all of the virtual networking, and complex storage options in VMware.
We've run everything from Domain Controllers, to file services to ERP systems without any issues. The fact that the cluster holds up well during a node failure has really helped, especially mission critical software such as Syspro. Reboot times are very fast on virtual systems, so even if there is a software based issue, rebooting is not the inconvenience that it used to be.
Read Mikolay Bujak's full review
Darren Woolston profile photo
February 02, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "I love our Scale"

[It's being used] To host most corporate servers including AD, file, print, CCTV and app servers.
  • Ease of use
  • Superb value compared to traditional competitors
  • The time between order and delivery seems slow.
If you need to consolidate 4 or more servers, I don't know of a better way to do it currently. We currently have 10 VMs and I would dread doing it the old-fashioned way now. VMWare and its ilk seem clunky and overbearing in comparison now.
We currently host:
- Active Directory
- File Servers
- Print Servers
- Security Camera system & storage
- Stadium concession systems (critical game-day system)
- Stadium 50-50 system (critical game-day system). Our 50-50's are a huge deal in this part of the world.
Read Darren Woolston's full review
Ray Vopat profile photo
February 02, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale HC3 3 Node first time purchaser review"

We use our Scale 3 node cluster to run our 5 virtual machines that service our 4 locations. Functions include application servers, web servers and test machines that are used by all departments. The HC3 cluster gives us an easy method to backup an entire machine and is a first step in building a secondary site in which we can replicate our scale data to.
  • Scale platform updates - the scale cluster runs on its own software and can be updated in real time without causing any downtime for production virtual machines.
  • Node capacity visibility - the software provides an easy window into how much storage and RAM capacity is available on each node and simplifies being able to see how much room there is for growth for new virtual machines.
  • Snapshotting - the scheduling of snapshots works extremely well and is an easy set and forget method for backups on a daily basis.
  • While Scale handles storage and RAM utilization very well, CPU usage is somewhat hard to configure - you can configure how many CPU cores a VM gets but it's not overly simple to boost an individual VM's CPU performance.
  • The custom software that runs on the scale cluster is simple but doesn't necessarily support all backup products out there - or maybe the other backup products don't support them yet - VEEAM for example, backing up a VM outside the hypervisor isn't supported.
  • I would like to see the software made available so we can add it to other physical servers we have available - for example, say we have an old VM Ware server and we want to convert it to a Scale node - having the ability to install the software on our hardware would be a huge plus.
Scale is very well suited for small to medium businesses with workloads that are not necessarily overly storage critical - meaning small SQL and Exchange deployments can be handled fairly easily. Taking out the need to have a separate storage device added to existing physical servers running the Hypervisor simplifies the overall scope of a project
We are running a web server with an MS SQL database on the back end. The software specification made it sound like it was pretty hardware intensive and that a robust storage and physical machine environment would be required to run on an acceptable level. We took an educated chance on Scale and it has been running our applications with ease since day one with an increase in performance from our old physical server-based application.
Read Ray Vopat's full review
john Galotta profile photo
February 02, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "HC3 how to make your life easier."

We are using the HC3 to run several of our virtual servers. Two of the servers are our domain controllers. We are in the process of migrating more of our VMs over from VMware. The use of Scale has freed up resources that we had budgeted for VMware.
  • Very easy to install and migrate existing VMs over from VMware.
  • Support is seamless and remote help is a click away.
  • Support is US based and never a problem getting in touch with a technician on the first try.
  • The only thing that was missing when we purchased the unit was remote replication. They have addressed this with a cloud offering.
If you are looking to save money on your virtual environment then Scale will help you accomplish this. We have not had one issue in two years of running the system.
We have several of our domain controllers running on the HC3 and the migration was seamless. We are ready to move other mission-critical systems over to our HC3 cluster.
Read john Galotta's full review
Adam Hassall profile photo
January 30, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Honest review of Scale Computing's HC3x"

Scale Computing's HC3x has allowed us to virtualise 100% of our company's server infrastructure. We've used the technology for the last 5 years and it has been as solid as a rock. The biggest benefit is its simplicity because we are a small IT department and don't have the time to maintain a more complicated solution such as VMWare or Hyper-V.
  • The simplicity of the technology is its biggest strength.
  • There aren't different licensing levels and so all features are available in the standard licensing costs.
  • Their support team is second to none. Everyone I've spoken to is extremely knowledgeable about their product.
  • The only drawback is that if you need extra storage, your only option is to purchase another node. On other platforms, you could just install extra storage space.
Scale Computing for us has been a life-saver. Spinning up new virtual machines takes seconds with minimal configuration required. I suppose the only scenario that Scale Computing HC3 wouldn't be suitable is if you need USB/com pass-through as they can't [be] presented to the virtual machines.
We run four SQL servers hosting our business systems, terminal servers, domain controllers, deployment servers and file & print servers.

Spinning up new servers is incredibly simple and can be started within seconds.
Read Adam Hassall's full review
Robert Leno Jr profile photo
January 29, 2018

"Scale Computing HC3 - Review"

Scale Computing HC3 has been implemented as a replacement for the client's old VMware environment. The client wanted a more substantial and reliable virtual platform for their business. They have multiple remote sites and remote uses, in which they wanted to provide a seamless user environment to all users. They have 6 virtual servers and 16 virtual desktops. The HC3 platform has fulfilled the client's current needs and should carry them well into the future.
  • Relaibility
  • Rapid systems deployment
  • Excellent fault tolerance, backup, and recovery
  • Easy overall management
  • Snapshot management has room for improvements, more recovery options, export options, etc.
  • Image import/export could encompass more virtual image types.
Any business with greater than average amount of servers or remote desktops would be an excellent opportunity for deployment of the Scale Computing HC3. Small businesses with one or 2 servers, in my opinion, would not enjoy the benefits that the Scale platform affords.
Read Robert Leno Jr's full review
Jefferson Davis profile photo
January 29, 2018

Review: "Scale Computing HC3 - Give it a look before going with the "usual suspects""

We use HC3 to virtualize ALL server assets. High performance, delegatable interface.
  • Super easy to use, easy to delegate to technicians
  • Much lower cost than most competing products
  • Excellent support
  • Could use better integration with UPS's. Currently UPS shutdown has to be handled by a separate windows system
  • Sometimes, migrating other vendor's VM appliances can be a bit "fiddly"
Small to mid-sized organizations looking for higher performance, and the advantages of virtualization with little of the added administrative pain and cost.
The system makes it very easy to allocate additional resources (RAM, CPU cores, Disk space) as needed, and simply.

We run our DNS and LDAP servers, on HC3, and found the the VM was under-supplied with disk space. Very simple to add more storage.
Read Jefferson Davis's full review
Jamie Yennie profile photo
January 29, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale Review"

We use Scale to house all our Windows servers, roughly 25 total. The reliability has been tremendous. Only real problem we have had is resizing hard disks in our VMs.
  • High availability. We have had no unplanned downtime.
  • Technical support is amazing. Very responsive.
  • Easy to expand and grow.
  • Can only use static memory
  • Too cumbersome to expand hard drive in VMs
  • Too hard to manage snapshots and storage
Perfect for small business that needs high availability, but cannot afford traditional clustering technologies.
We run our terminal server which all company users use to access our accounting system and our ERP.
Read Jamie Yennie's full review
Greg Starnes profile photo
January 23, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale Review"

We use it across the whole company. It is our virtual host for all of our servers. It also helps us manage such a large group of servers (12), and there are only two of us in the I.T. department. Management of this solutions is very easy and intuitive. We also have two cluster at a different location as our DR site.
  • Management. It is very easy to manage your environment through one pane of glass. You know the health of your hardware by just looking at the main page.
  • Support. Their support is all based here in the U.S. They are very timely to get to you, and they keep you informed throughout your issue.
  • Price. They are very well priced for what you get.
  • Compatibility. Some manufactures don't have products that will run on the KVM kernel.
Scale Computing HC3 is great for small to medium businesses and I.T. departments. They have a great pane of glass to tell what is going on in the environment. They also scale out very easily. I would also have to say they have some of the best support around.

The only thing I could think that would not be the best scenario for Scale Computing HC3 is in extremely large companies.
We run our Exchange Servers, HVAC, Shoretel, File Servers, Scanning Servers, Domain Controllers, and I would run anything else on this hardware.
Read Greg Starnes's full review
Hiten Patel profile photo
January 22, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Fantastic first experience with virtualization!"

HC3 is used to consolidate some of our services and reduce our server footprint. It was the perfect replacement for our aging Citrix farm (and other applications) and has reduced our cooling, rack, and power requirements as well as unused resources (CPU, memory, storage). Also, the DR cluster gives us some peace of mind and a faster recovery.
  • Reduced licensing costs
  • Single pane of glass
  • Consolidation of storage, virtualization and management
  • None yet!
Organisations with limited IT resources/budgets.
We are currently hosting multiple applications including Domain controllers, Quickbooks, Helpdesk, Remote Desktop Servers, and Electronic Medical Records. The critical data is automatically replicated to a second cluster for disaster recovery. Our experience has been great with no issues with any of the Windows VM's running in Scale.
Read Hiten Patel's full review
Scott Poole profile photo
January 19, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale helped consolidate our network needs into one solution"

We are using Scale HC3 as a 3 in 1 solution. We use the Scale virtualization software for our servers, including a VDI server. We utilize a 16TB SAN for all of our Virtual servers, user files, etc. Finally, we use a 2nd Scale cluster at our 2nd location as a Disaster Recovery solution between sites.
  • Disaster Recovery using snapshots. Easy clones and restores.
  • Virtualization of servers is seamless and very intuitive.
  • San is provisioned internally by HC3 eliminating dead and wasted space.
  • Control panel is intuitive and easy to use
  • Would like to see ability to expand partitions without Scale Support.
  • Would like to be able to have restores to folder or file level
Scale works well for my company of 150 users. The scalability of the cluster in terms of memory and hard drive space means we are able to upgrade as needed without changing out the entire system or vendor.

Space wise, the Scale footprint is relatively small compared to the space that would be required if we used 3 different solutions for our SAN, DR and virtualization needs.
We are running our VDI for desktops on the Scale servers and expansion is relatively easy with the current solution.
Read Scott Poole's full review
Gerry Charriere profile photo
January 25, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale Rules"

It is used in our department for a variety of services. We have created different data storages and even created VM machines.
  • Their service technicians are very professional. They assisted us with issues that we have encountered with our Scale product.
  • At the present time, I do not see any missing functionalities with this product.
I am not sure if I would use Scale to create VM machines, because I know we could always use more space to store our data.
We do not run any business critical applications on the HC3.
Read Gerry Charriere's full review
January 30, 2018

Review: "Scale Computing HC3 - You won't Be Sorry"

Our servers, physical and VMware VMs, have all been migrated to Scale HC3. Our engineering, assembly and machining departments depend on our Scale system for access to their 3D data. Our self-developed ERP system and in-house Wiki both exist in our Scale environment as well. Additionally, our software and training departments request VMs to be created to aid in development and testing of our applications.
  • Scale provides a solid worry free VM environment for any SMB. We were looking to upgrade our VMware environment and found it quite daunting trying to piece together all the components necessary for a vm environment as well as the inevitable support contracts that would be scattered across different vendors. Scale combines everything you need into one turnkey solution. One appliance, one vendor, one support contract.
  • Companies with a limited IT staff or who would rather free their staff from the administration concerns of a typical vm environment will benefit greatly from a Scale HC3. It truly is plug and play. Even the system updates are automated, moving vms around the nodes in realtime while each node updates with no disruption to the VMs.
  • Built in High Availability, built in Load Balancing. Storage, Servers, VM os.. it's all self contained.
  • Working with the VMs (creating, deleting, cloning) is easier on an HC3 than on anything else I have seen.
  • I would like to have some access to the host system itself but I can see why it is locked away from the user. One of the main selling points of the system is it's hands free reliability. End users mucking things up would work against that.
  • I would like to see a bit more robust back up system to have a truly 100% self sustained VM environment. The system allows you to create snapshots very easily, both manual and scheduled. But it would be nice to be able to set up a backup/restore with deduplication to external locations.
We switched to Scale from a VMware environment and we couldn't be happier. Servers, Storage and Host OS are all combined into one self-contained system. If you are looking for a hands-off completely worry free VM environment I highly recommend Scale Computing. If you like to tinker and tweak your VM environment though you might not be happy with this because outside of the VMs themselves the system is 100% hands-off. You can create, remove, and clone VMs. You can configure their virtual hardware (number of nics, number and size of drives, etc.) You can import and export VMs as well as create snapshots manually or scheduled.

As far as the host system though, it just works. High availability is built in. Load balancing is built in. You can manually move VMs around if you wish but there is no need to. System updates are completely painless. You click to apply the update and the HC3 moves the VMs around to apply the updates to each node one at a time with no downtime or interruptions to the guest VMs. If a node does go down (which has not happened to us yet) you just replace the node and you're done.
Our engineering data needs to be available to our machinists, cnc programmers, and assemblers as well as our engineers. We run Autodesk Vault on a Windows Server vm on our HC3 and we have no issues with access to the data.
We also run a complete ERP system of our own design and development. This system handles everything from employee clock in/out to inventory to scheduling, to accounting, to HR. It is the lifeblood of our company and it runs on a dedicated vm in our HC3 system. An internet facing version of this ERP system also running in our HC3 is being set up for demo'ing to potential customers.
We also run various other systems unique to different departments (an inhouse wiki, jira issue tracking, customer support, software R&D)
February 01, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale Computing review"

Scale Computing is hosting all our company virtual servers. It was deployed to replace the old VMware setup we had using separate ESX hosts, switches and SAN.
  • Because the Scale Computing is a converge storage, it's much more cost-effective to support and maintain vs. out old ESX cluster setup.
  • Installing updates is easier to do vs. a system that setup using separate ESX hosts, switches, and SAN because we just have to deal with one appliance.
  • The support service has been good so far. Every time we had an issue or question we will get someone on the phone in a few min and they are knowledgeable about the product.
  • One of the biggest drawbacks of the current Scale solution is its limitation when it comes to VM management. For example, options that are available in VMware for years like the ability to expend a virtual drive live does not exist.
  • The Scale management portal is nice and very easy to use because it's very simple, but it's limited in how much information it provides.
  • Because the hypervisor OS is a custom software, it does not allow for more advanced management. any changes or issues that need to troubleshoot requires opening a ticket with support.
If your virtualization needs are basic and you don't need any advanced features I think that the performance/cost is a good proposition. It's also fairly easy to add another node to the cluster to increase your resources.
We run our primary file server, SQL server, and accounting software on the Scale. The requirements are basic and the performance is as expected for the model we use.

About Scale Computing HC3

Scale Computing’s HC3 virtualization platform is a complete ‘datacenter in a box’ with server, storage and virtualization integrated into a single appliance to deliver simplicity, availability, and scalability at a fraction of the cost.

According to the vendor, key features and benefits include:

• Install in less than an hour
  • Deploy new VMs in minutes
  • Built-in Browser-based Management
  • Software-defined, hybrid storage system with automated tiering
  • Fully integrated, cluster-wide resource utilization and alerts
  • Single vendor support experience, no disparate systems to integrate
  • Integrated all-in-one appliance
  • Scale-out Architecture
  • Mix and match new nodes
  • Incremental resources improve performance of existing workloads
  • Fast and easy to expand, no downtime required
  • No additional licensing required
  • Start small and grow as your business grows
  • No forklift upgrades

Scale Computing HC3 Features

Has featureSimplicity
Has featureHigh Availability
Has featureScalability

Scale Computing HC3 Integrations

Workspot VDI

Scale Computing HC3 Competitors

VMware vCenter Server, VMware ESXi, Nutanix, Hyper-V, HPE SimpliVity (formerly OmniCube)

Does not have featureFree Trial Available?No