https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/lK/gH/FOEFG20KWALI.JPEGScale HC3 ReviewWe replaced our entire physical server environment for a virtual scale environment. It is more economical to maintain and grow than a physical server environment. It provides many additional features including automated notifications of server issues or outages, visibility of server status and ability to remotely control a server the same as a physical server.,Centralized server management Quick visibility of the health of the server environment. It provides tools to provide a quick glance at the infrastructure Increased backup/redundancy of data without additional products or implementations,More server statistics in the environment window History of CPU usage, disk space/usage/ net traffic. It is currently being monitored but not logged. Ability to customize reports and automate the e-mailing of those reports.,10,10,Primarily it runs our Point of Sale infrastructure.,Server uptime and overall health Immediate availability for growth or increase in server infrastructure without additional hardware costs,Scale Computing HC3, the right fit for SMBWe use Scale Computing HC3 for our Hyper Cluster environment. We have been migrating our VMWare clients to the HC3 environment.,HC3 makes it very easy to set up VM clients. They provide graphical feedback of CPU Utilization and IOPs for each of the running clients. Setting up snapshot schedule is a breeze. With a DR Cluster, the snapshots can be transmitted to a DR Cluster for additional redundancy.,Rolling back to a previous snapshot is not as intuitive as other vendor offerings. You must clone the snapshot and then boot the clone to roll back to a previous snapshot.,10,10,We run all of the servers that host our DB, email, and vertical market applications on the HC3 environment.,We have saved a tremendous amount on maintenance cost, previously paying for maintenance on our servers, SAN and virtualization OS. The maintenance cost for HC3 covers all three categories and is less than what we were paying before.,VMware ESXiThe small business best asset - ScaleWe implemented Scale Computing this year and it is being used as our production environment. We chose Scale due to its affordability and it being a hyper-converged solution. We were on old hardware storing all data locally on Hyper-V servers. The move to Scale gave us redundancy and flexibility at a lower price point than the competition.,Their customer support is the best I have ever experienced. On your first email or call you get a service tech that is ready to answer your question right away. The implementation was fairly simple and converting VMs seemed like a breeze. It took some time, but it worked well.,My Microsoft licenses sometimes wouldn't pull over in the migrate process and I would have to re-enter my license code. I'm not sure if it depended upon the OS or why it didn't work 100% of the time.,9,10,We have a ERP software for manufacturing tracking built on an SQL back end and it runs smoothly on Scale. All accounts payable software along with the sales team CRM also successfully striving on this setup.,We were in dire need of new infrastructure and were looking at spending quite a bit on hardware. We were introduced to Scale through a vendor and after one meeting I realized I could achieve our goals at a fraction of the cost.Scale HC3 - a great hyper-converged solution for SMBWe use Scale to run all the virtual servers in our environment, including Windows file servers, active directory, DNS, and Exchange. We also have a DR cluster attached where we replicate all of those servers. This allows us, as a smaller company, to save on the cost of physical servers and have a reliable virtual environment.,Ease of use - initial setup is very simple, and setting up and using virtual machines through their GUI is even simpler. Customer Support - super fast response times, and very knowledgeable staff. I wish all support teams I deal with were as good as Scale. Scaleability - adding new nodes is a breeze.,Difficult to resize virtual hard drives.,10,10,The most important business-critical application we run on HC3 is Exchange. Everyone knows how important e-mail is in today's business environment. I fully trust in our HC3 environment to keep it, along with our other critical applications running 100% of the time.,The ROI has been fantastic - saved us thousands of dollars in licensing and hardware costs. Ease of use has saved massive amounts of time in setup and management.,VMware ESXiMore Scale PleaseWe currently use Scale Computing at our headquarters to host roughly 25 servers that range from application servers to file servers to domain controllers. Scale gave us simplicity to manage our infrastructure. It's also saving us on the bottom line.,The replication of VMs betweens nodes is incredibly fast. We can recover servers from snapshots very quickly. We are saving on VMWare costs by not having to renew licenses for VMWare. With Scale's next update, we'll have the capability to do file level restoration.,When migrating to Scale, it seemed like we we're basically 'tricking' the virtual machine into being a Scale file. So the ability to more easily migrate to Scale would be recommended. As of right now, to restore a file, we basically restore an entire VM from a snapshot rather than restoring just that file. A lesser option should be available for smaller offices that only have 2 virtual servers.,10,10,We currently run all of our domain environment in Scale and several application servers. It's mostly file sharing and print services. We haven't noticed any decline in performance since moving to Scale.,We're saving $15k per year alone in just hardware support costs We're saving even more by no longer needing VMWare. Upgrading Scale takes a lot less man hours than upgrading VMWare.,Nimble, HPE Proliant ML and VMware ESXi
Windows, Linux, Unix
Scale Computing HC3

Scale Computing HC3 Reviews

Scale Computing HC3
Filter 158 vetted Scale Computing HC3 reviews and ratings
September 24, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale HC3 Review"

• Centralized server management
  • Quick visibility of the health of the server environment. It provides tools to provide a quick glance at the infrastructure
  • Increased backup/redundancy of data without additional products or implementations
  • More server statistics in the environment window
  • History of CPU usage, disk space/usage/ net traffic. It is currently being monitored but not logged.
  • Ability to customize reports and automate the e-mailing of those reports.
It is a great virtualization product for the small to mid-sized market space.
Primarily it runs our Point of Sale infrastructure.
Read Jon Brantner's full review
September 24, 2018

Review: "Scale Computing HC3, the right fit for SMB"

• HC3 makes it very easy to set up VM clients. They provide graphical feedback of CPU Utilization and IOPs for each of the running clients.
  • Setting up snapshot schedule is a breeze.
  • With a DR Cluster, the snapshots can be transmitted to a DR Cluster for additional redundancy.
  • Rolling back to a previous snapshot is not as intuitive as other vendor offerings. You must clone the snapshot and then boot the clone to roll back to a previous snapshot.
For the small/medium business that needs a virtualized environment, I found HC3 to be more cost-effective. I no longer need to have a vendor for my SAN, a vendor for my servers and a vendor for my virtualization environment.
Read Sam Paulissian's full review
September 24, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "The small business best asset - Scale"

• Their customer support is the best I have ever experienced. On your first email or call you get a service tech that is ready to answer your question right away.
  • The implementation was fairly simple and converting VMs seemed like a breeze. It took some time, but it worked well.
  • My Microsoft licenses sometimes wouldn't pull over in the migrate process and I would have to re-enter my license code. I'm not sure if it depended upon the OS or why it didn't work 100% of the time.
For the typical small business, Scale is the perfect solution. Great customer service and help along the way.
Read Tyler Johnson's full review
September 24, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale HC3 - a great hyper-converged solution for SMB"

• Ease of use - initial setup is very simple, and setting up and using virtual machines through their GUI is even simpler.
  • Customer Support - super fast response times, and very knowledgeable staff. I wish all support teams I deal with were as good as Scale.
  • Scaleability - adding new nodes is a breeze.
  • Difficult to resize virtual hard drives.
With a combination of great pricing, ease of use, top-notch support, and scalability, Scale Computing really hits the mark for the small and medium business market. They really make things a lot easier for companies with minimal IT staff.
Read Josh Cope's full review
September 24, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "More Scale Please"

• The replication of VMs betweens nodes is incredibly fast. We can recover servers from snapshots very quickly.
  • We are saving on VMWare costs by not having to renew licenses for VMWare.
  • With Scale's next update, we'll have the capability to do file level restoration.
  • When migrating to Scale, it seemed like we we're basically 'tricking' the virtual machine into being a Scale file. So the ability to more easily migrate to Scale would be recommended.
  • As of right now, to restore a file, we basically restore an entire VM from a snapshot rather than restoring just that file.
  • A lesser option should be available for smaller offices that only have 2 virtual servers.
Cost alone, we no longer have VMware licenses, we could possibly move away from Veeam in the near future. Managing snapshots is much easier than VMWare. A non-technical person could learn Scale in less than a day.
Read Justin Hall's full review
April 04, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale out performs"

We have moved most of our physical servers to Scale over the last few years and have added another cluster to our system for high availability. We have radius servers, domain controllers, DHCP servers, Exchange and SQL to name a few that are currently running on Scale. This cluster will be at another location as part of our DR as well. Ease of use and not having to worry about licensing is a huge plus not to mention their support is the best I have found. We serve over 8000 users each day on our network and Scale is a huge part of that.
  • Their support is amazing should you need. Although it has been very reliable.
  • Ease of use.
  • Performance
  • Scale-ability
  • For most shops their dashboard gives plenty of information; however, some of the more technical users may want a little more information. With that said it is improving.
It is perfect in a school setting because of the flexibility, ability to add more nodes on the fly and ease of use. They have great support available 24/7 which is extremely helpful since a lot of our work is done during non normal business hours.

I could see it being very useful in a medium business as well.
We ran a 1000 user mailbox Exchange server for 3 years on Scale and the performance was excellent. We are running about 40 different servers and they all perform very well.
Read Patrick Taylor's full review
January 23, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Simply Amazing, the Node Cluster that can't be beat!"

We use the Scale Computing HC3 across our whole organization to supply our Staff and customers with our software application. This infrastructure solves the issue we had with stability and redundancy when using servers in the past. Since purchasing and upgrading to this node cluster, we have never been happier or more confident in our solution to support our staff and clients.
  • Hardware redundancy. Although I haven't had a need to use it yet, I know that all main failure points of any hardware has a redundant secondary to pick up in any failures.
  • Easy upgrade; to update the Hyper visor or installing a new node is simple and easy to do. The configuration is a simple step by step process that even a non Techy person can follow.
  • Automatic Snapshots; with the latest update for automatic Snapshots & Backups, I can control what backup schedule I want and mange my snap shots with ease
  • VM Creation. I am constantly creating new Virtual machines for my programmers. With the easy to use tools provided by Scale, I can have a new VM up and running in seconds.
  • Automatic Exports. Although they have the ability to create scheduled snap shots, I am waiting on the tool to allow us to automatically create exporting schedules to a 3rd party NAS
  • Historical Reports, the Hypervisor allows us to see real-time reports of our cluster, but it would be nice to have detailed historical reports of this data to look for patterns in our software resources
I cannot really foresee where Scale Computing HC3 is less appropriate. They have different packages for clusters that works for small to large size businesses. We resell our software to other vendors to supply to their clients and we will only support the Scale Computing HC3 cluster to install our application due to its capabilities, easy to use and amazing support from their help desk. We started off as a small to medium size business when I was introduced to Scale. From there we have been slowly increasing in our business size. Scale follows along beside us and is able to assist in our expansion at a moment's notice.
Currently I have run the following applications critical to my business: Exchange 2013 & 2016, Active Directory 2008 & 2016, Sage CRM, Sage Accounting, LDAPs, Custom Applications, Sharepoint and many more. All applications I've installed have worked flawlessly on the Scale Computer HC3. Thanks to the assistance of their Support, I was even able to receive assistance in some of the install when I had questions about different drivers.
Read Brian Dunk's full review
January 23, 2018

"Scale Computing HC3 Review"

Scale Computing HC3 is being used across the organization to host several virtual server instances. It helps address our need for multiple, specialized, virtual servers, including redundant domain controllers, file servers, document management and enterprise resource planning servers. The separation of these server roles allows for finer control of potential downtime and reduces end-user impact.
  • Virtual machine snapshots are an absolute breeze to create, store and recover if needed.
  • The interface is incredibly intuitive and easy to use.
  • Remote virtual machine management can be completed completely through a web interface rather than Remote Desktop Services, reducing our vulnerability footprint.
  • The amount of RAM you specify when ordering the system is not completely available for virtual machines. You need to calculate the ability for VMs to fail over to remaining nodes in the event a single node fails.
  • Integration with backup product vendors is severely lacking, causing difficulty in backing up full snapshots off site.
  • The interface login is a simple username and password. It would be nice to integrate two-factor authentication to increase security.
Scale Computing HC3 is very well suited to the medium business running multiple, complex business applications needing separation of server instances. Additionally, the ability to create seamless fail over and redundancy make Scale Computing HC3 an ideal choice for business continuity.

Scale Computing HC3's price point makes it a difficult sell to smaller business who may have a need, but not the capital to invest at this level.
I have run Active Directory, DNS, DHCP and DFS on multiple servers with complete fail over. Additionally, I am running enterprise resource management, document management, a web server and auditing/monitoring on separate server instances all on the same Scale cluster. Overall the system is running flawlessly. Additionally, I have the peace of mind that the hardware is fault tolerant as well, providing instant fail over protection in the event a node goes down.
Read Travis Smith's full review
January 19, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Time to Replace VMware ESXi and Microsoft Hyper-V with Scale HC3"

Scale Computing HC3 is being used across the whole organization with a cluster at the corporate office configured for full two-way replication with another cluster at a branch office. This provides complete disaster recovery capability for both sites. Performance of both clusters is outstanding. Operational maintenance is almost non-existent. Setting up replication required only providing the name and administrator credentials for the remote cluster -- amazingly simple and automatic.
  • Firmware updates are a non-event. They are released about twice a year and when you are ready to apply the update, you just click the button to authorize it. Then it just happens automatically, rolling from one server to the next with no down time. Of course you should verify that you have a full set of backups first and probably will want to do this during a "quieter" time but you could do it in the middle of a work day with only minor performance impact.
  • Any agent-based VM backup, like Veeam Backup & Replication, works fine.
  • I like that the failure of a disk drive is not a critical-level event. The cluster raises an alarm, automatically ensures that all data is re-duplicated, and a replacement disk is sent to you the next day for hot-swap. During the disk failure event all you have is just a little less disk storage available.
  • The HEAT system which automatically migrates active data between fast SSD disks and the usual spinning kind as required to meet your performance priorities, is completely hands off.
  • The recent addition of automatic disk data deduplication means better performance and less disk space usage.
  • Taking snapshots is almost instant and does not "cost" additional disk space.
  • Growth is amazingly simple and easy to do -- just rack another node, add it to the cluster then walk away -- in short time it's a fully functioning member of the cluster sharing the load.
  • HC3 Cloud Unity with Google Cloud Platform is an unmatched hybrid cloud solution. Usually hybrid Clouds require lots of very sophisticated networking to tie the local network to the cloud network -- Unity does all of this automatically and transparently -- the Cloud instance looks like it's on your local LAN. A single Scale HC3 web interface can manage your local and remote on-prem instances together with your cloud instance.
  • Scheduling of snapshots is fairly flexible but a little restricted when combined with Replication. Looking forward to the next major firmware release where this is scheduled to be improved.
  • There is a single-node server available for remote offices but it would be nice to have a two-node version for those small offices to be able to avoid all down time (for updates).
The entry level configuration for a completely redundant cluster is 3 small nodes for about $35,000. Currently the maximum size is 8 much larger capacity nodes, but there is a plan to increase that. Replication between clusters couldn't be any easier or automatic. The Scale HC3 architecture makes this platform an excellent candidate to exploit the tremendous I/O performance available with NVMe.
If your company provides services or support on a 24x7 basis you just can't ever be down. Exchange email, SQL Server databases, web servers, ERP App Servers, File & RDSH servers -- nothing can go down because you need it all of the time. There's no time for down time to do maintenance or increase capacity. Scale HC3 gives you all of that. Also, who wants to spend so much time keeping all of that virtualization infrastructure updated -- Scale HC3 remove 90-95% of the maintenance work required to keep a VMware or Hyper-V Cluster with shared storage secure and updated.
Read Gerry Wisnoski's full review
January 17, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Net Admin"

We're converting our XenServer Virtual Infrastructure over to HC3 Scale. It's faster, easier to use and takes up less space. Setting up SCALE was easy. We rack mounted it, set it up in about 20 minutes. Since purchasing our first 3 servers, we recently just cut a PO to expand to 8. Overall, it's a great product.
  • Its simplicity is a load off my shoulders. There are not hours of forums I have to sift through.
  • No more licensing problems.
  • Remote support is a super easy.
  • I would like to see more information about my VMs
  • Historical Data would be nice such as 30 day chart for CPU usage.
We have migrated our Citrix Xen-App services off from Xen-Server and VMWare and moved them onto our new HC3 SCALE cluster and it has suited us very well.
We run our XenApp environment on SCALE and found that the speed of our VM servers has increased over XenServer 6.5. Utilizing HC3's DoubleTake Move software, we were able to migrate our VM's with just a few clicks. We also have a Domain Controller running on our SCALE Environment and login duration's have decreased dramatically.
Read Jason Weatherby's full review
January 11, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Solid option for SMBs who don't want to spend their time administering virtual environments."

We use a Scale cluster as our primary computing infrastructure, hosting SQL, ERP, WMS, RDS Cluster, file storage, IIS, and some other minor server VMs. All our VMs are currently MS OSs.
  • Ease of setup and operation. We have a very small IT bench, and these individuals are not virtual infrastructure engineers. They have little to no experience in VM environments. Yet they have no problems standing up VMs, setting up or modifying replication, cloning, shifting VMs to other nodes, etc. They can modify resource draw easily (with one notable exception) and generally can stay out of the VM management world and stay in the server and application management worlds.
  • Hardware support. I can only recall one hardware issue we had. Rather than going back and forth, or trying to fix one part at a time to reduce costing, Scale had a new box to us I think the next day or the day after. Hard drive swap and we were back in business at 100%.
  • Tecahnical support. There are some minor headaches working outside of the normal hypervisor realms of Hyper-V/VMWare. But Scale support has been there to help us whenever we hit one of those stumbling blocks.
  • Modifying the size of an instantiated virtual hard drive. You can change memory/cpus core with a few mouse clicks, but hard drive size increases are time consuming, complicated, and annoying in the current environment.
  • There is some room for improvement with regards to SQL writes. The hyperconverged solution is exceptional in durability and reliability, but large quantity small size SQL writes seem to cause a speed bottleneck larger than one would expect given the power of the architecture. Could be caused by spanning between nodes?
  • Not sure if this is a Scale issue or an MS issue, but we have never been able to clone an RD server with all apps installed and add it to the RDS cluster; we have to clone a barebones server, install everything and build all the printer connections, and then add it to the cluster.
If you are a small to midsized company for whom cloud computing does not make financial sense (or a large company with reasons to keep things on-prem), Scale is a solid and cost-effective choice. It allows a low entry point, good scalability, and ease of operations even with a minimal IT team.
SQL is our most critical app, and we have seen a substantial increase in its environmental footprint in the past year. Save for some frustrations in increasing drive size (much easier to plan ahead and make your drives large, or to just add a second drive and spread), we have been able to handle our growing pains with some after-hours reboots.

Similarly, we have doubled the amount of servers in our RDS environment.
Read J. Power Hely's full review
January 11, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "HC3 works for me!"

As a one person IT shop the Scale HC3 system made it easy for me to manage storage and it reduced the number of physical servers I had to maintain. It is used for all departments in our organization from a file server to a mapping server.
  • Their tech support is very good, though I have only had to call a couple of times over the last five years for minor issues.
  • Their sales staff keeps in touch on a regular basis. Some vendors will only call for a sale and assume everything is fine if they aren't hearing from you.
  • The user interface is easy to learn, from creating and scheduling snapshots to creating virtual machines for running test scenarios.
  • Scale Computing HC3 has met all of our company's needs.
I have used the Scale Computing HC3 system to save time by purchasing an appropriate server operating system license and delivering a fully functional server with less time and expense of a physical server. With any purchasing decision you have to weigh out costs and benefits and this system was a perfect fit for our business. They continue to grow and improve their products, so we will be able to continue using their system into the future.
We use virtual servers to house mission critical databases that are written to daily with large amounts of data with no issues. Our online backup software is able to connect with the virtual servers to add another layer of disaster recovery.
Read Jon Rich's full review
December 23, 2017

Review: "Scale Computing HC3 - Excellent and Unique Hyper-Converged Platform with a few Rough Edges"

Scale HC3 is being used to virtualize a large portion of our physical IT stack.

We purchased it for the following reasons:

1. Simplify administration of our infrastructure.
2. Provide out-of-the box High-Availability and/or near High-Availability for critical systems
3. Decrease TCO for our physical infrastructure
4. Simplify our infrastructure by collapsing all of the requirements for a clustered virtualization solution down into one software/hardware stack, including compute, storage, and networking.
5. Decrease deployment time for new environments. Using near-instant thin-cloning we can deploy multiple systems in a very short amount of time.
6. SCALE provided a solid platform alternative to other traditional high-availability solutions, like SQL Clustering. In this case we simplify life by deploying SQL server's as stand-alone but because they are virtual and on a Hyper-Converged platform, they are HA by default. So we get a lot of the benefits of SQL clustering without the headache and complexity of actual SQL clustering.
  • Scale has focused on ease-of-management and it shows. Their UI is incredible and easily the best in the industry.
  • SCRIBE - the underlying storage layer is brilliant and if you are a techie, worth taking a closer look. The way SCALE has done storage for hyper-converged is very different from almost all of the other major players in a very good way. SCRIBE VM snapshots and cloning is incredible, very fast, very efficient.
  • Simplified licensing model - NO VMWARE - this is a big deal. Scale has built-the-entire-stack from almost the ground up. You only have one company to deal with when it comes to licensing your hyper-converged stack. Furthermore, all SCALE HC3 clusters have ALL FEATURES. There is no nickel-and-dime (and arm-n-leg) for additional functionality.
  • I think the company has been focused on the SMB market and as a result are not familiar with dealing with the issues and concerns of either larger companies/deployments and/or companies like ours which service larger clients. We have no tolerance for unscheduled downtime. When it comes to dealing with support they are mostly all very knowledgeable but they seem a bit green when it comes to understanding how "serious" uptime is for their customers that are running mission-critical systems.
  • I think the company has been focused on the SMB market, and as a result I get the impression they are not overly familiar with companies that run mixed and/or more highly-demanding workloads. We are pushing our cluster hard. We run a heavy mix of both virtualized SQL and WEB tier systems. Based on multiple interactions with the company, I don't think they have very many customers operating in this space and as a result, the platform hasn't been as well vetted based on these kinds of workloads. That said, I realize that virtualizing multiple busy database servers on a single platform is huge ask. All of the above being said... we have not had any system failures that have impacted any of our production VM's and by-and-large the platform is pretty darn solid. We are seeing some performance hits, particularly around storage, as our cluster gets more busy however we haven't done wide-spread performance testing to get an accurate measurement and I believe scribe is dynamically tiering data to keep our busiest systems running effectively. I guess I would like to just see a higher "low watermark" for storage performance on VM's.
  • Support is overall very responsive however in-depth issues can drag-on a bit, which is understandable.
  • They are still missing some features such as role-based administrative access which are important to, once again, larger companies and/or those who service larger companies.
  • All-in-all - Scale has historically targeted SMB - and as a result they have a ton of core strengths that are unique to their company and their product. However, in focusing on this market segment, I think they have a bit of tunnel-vision which has resulted in them missing some crucial areas for businesses that take their IT very serious because it is a critical part of their service delivery/day-to-day operations.
Based on my experience, I think smaller SMB shops that want to simplify their infrastructure and primarily have a mix of light-weight systems (Domain Controllers, Web Servers, some SQL but not a ton, File Servers, etc.) are the "perfect fit" for SCALE.

I think if they straighten out a few of the kinks in their process and product, they will actually be a perfect fit for us. That all said, this probably sounds overly negative so I will state that I am very glad that we went with SCALE HC3 and in retrospect, I wouldn't change that decision. I think they are one of the best hyper-converged platforms on the market.

If you are looking at an IT refresh and you realize you also are using a mix of a bunch of different products and platforms to achieve high-availability, to provide backup and recovery, etc, etc, SCALE could very well be an excellent fit for you because you can collapse all of that "stuff" into one platform that by-and-large does it all very well.
We have several applications that are "mission critical" that were candidates for more complex solutions like SQL Clustering. We opted to virtualize those on SCALE instead which was drastically easier and honestly "less fragile" because there are few "moving parts".

Scale has also decreased our dependency on more complex and typically much more expensive TCO, SAN storage.

We have drastically simplified our onsite backup and recovery by using scheduled snapshots.
Read Nathan Beam's full review
December 11, 2017

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "ScCale Hyperconvergence - No Pain all Gain"

Our existing infrastructure was getting old. The hardware was excellent and provided more than adequate performance. Apart from the insecurity of age the only complaints were from the IT team. It was taking too much work to maintain.

The 3 node Scale cluster replacees and aging infrastructure of Linux Red Hat/HP hosts running 80% of the company's virtual servers. The Scale cluster will essentially run our company. When all VMs have been moved over to the cluster It will encompass Windows a windows domain controller, our MRP system, several database servers, analytics, and server and network monitoring appliances. A remote Scale node acts as a backup to the cluster and maintains daily backups with varying retention to reflect daily, weekly and monthly, and quarterly backups. We have moved about 30% of the infrastructure to the scale cluster.
  • The ease of use of the Scale interface is fantastic. All the basics are within easy reach and more complex tools are readily accessible. I'm used to simple interfaces meaning limited scope and simplistic products. But the scale interface is on top of a very sophisticated and powerful system. The interface works so well it needs no training to use - having said that training always helps.
  • Scale's Remote replication is fantastic. Setting up and applying a schedule and setting a lifespan for the replicated images was a breeze. Initiating the replication was a single click and the replication was fast. Replicated VM's could be cloned and started in seconds. Restoring data for users was so fast my users were not ready to deal with the quick results.
  • Scales continually impresses me with the way the product is maturing. Their product road map is not merely a future wish list. New features are regularly being delivered and delivered on schedule.
  • Installation and set up is FAST. the longest part was mounting the hardware and connecting the interfaces. Scale technicians held my hand from power on to instantiating a new VM. It mas more of a formality than a necessity.
  • Their tech support is effective. The best I have ever seen. Their staff are astute and great communicators. Follow up is quick, and they often log in and resolve the problem without my having to generate and upload logs. They minimise my work and maximise interaction. The unusual part is how they communicate among themselves. On a single issue i spoke to multiple staff and they all were aware of case. I never had to repeat the details of the problem or the steps taken.
  • We have been importing all of our VM's fairly easily. There is a need for improvement with the import process for non HC3 VMs. It works but is the only poorly executed part of the HC3 environment i have come across. It's as if in the design of the product Scale only thought companies would be creating and working with new VM's., and forgot completely about migrations from other systems. HC3 easily imports and exports Scale VM's directly from the Interface in a single step. But, non HC3 images, even if they are qcow2 images just like HC3's, require a multi-step process. Having said that, the process is not complex at all. Apparently this will be corrected in a future release.
  • Pricing. Wow! A friend in another company opted for a competing HCI system. It took about 3 months to get the system fully installed and stable. But the ongoing costs of licensing Vmware and paying hardware maintenance have forced them to reconsider their purchase. They are desperate to cut costs and are planning to pull out VMware and go with KVM. With Scale I paid less and got at least equal performance without any configuration headaches.
  • That raises another point. The HC3 system is fully integrated all in one solution. All the components needed for HCI, Virtualisation, VM Management, Integrated and distributed storage, and redundancy are included and fully supported. One neck to wring.
  • As mentioned, Scale needs to refine the rocess used for importing non-native VM's. It is a multi step process that "fools" HC3 into thinking it a native VM. All of our VMs, except for one, are KVM. I can't comment on importing other image formats.
  • HC3 has all the basics covered and does a fantastic job under the sheets. but is lagging in more modern features .Scale needs to provide applications under HC3. A "cloud" type storage service that VM's could tap into directly. A database service which would reduce the need for us to maintain database servers. A containerisation service would be an excellent addition. Currently we have to run containers in a VM, which is not optimal.
  • Missing is a simple way of upgrading storage. Disks are hot swappable., but upgrading storage requires a lot of work.
Scale hits the sweet spot for the SMB market. The product and support are what a small company needs to get into the efficiencies the big boys enjoy and does it without the costs they pay. They do a great job of lifting SMBs into the true disaster recovery. I think it would be overkill where files sharing is a major activity. We are keeping only user folders on our hosted VMs. We use Synology appliances for shared storage and for hosting data on our DMZ accessed by external clients.
Our infrastructure scales great with HC3 (pun not intended.) We have been adding VM's cloning images for testing and development without anxiety. before we were constrained by the resources of a single machine- we were consistently running out of memory or disk space. We were chasing resources across the network, porting VM's wherever we could find room. The cluster environment is like a diving into an ocean. All the resources are accessible. This simplifies development and allows me to respond with a big "YES" to my users instead of "Maybe tomorrow, i'll let you know"
Read Scott White's full review
December 06, 2017

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale Computing -> Best Value"

Scale Computing is being used as our primary server cluster across the whole organization. We have it hosting 20+ servers. It's very easy to use and virtually maintenance free. It has freed up a lot of my time, to be honest, I don't even think about it anymore because it just works.
  • Setting up and provisioning a new VM is super simple.
  • I come from a VMWare environment but the Scale UI is very easy to understand. I can imagine for someone new they would be able to learn the task of managing the cluster very easily.
  • Snapshots and clones are processed super fast.
  • I would like to be able to see actual disk availability instead of the raw number of TB.
  • The ability to copy and paste from your local machine to a VM seems like missing functionality, it is very useful to have.
  • I guess it's not a problem specifically with Scale, probably more with KVM and backup vendors but I really did enjoy having a backup system that worked across the whole hypervisor, it just simplified things a lot.
  • I would like to see the breakdown of the VMs and the amount of RAM they are consuming changed a bit. If its a VM with less than 6 GB it doesn't show on the dashboard. Maybe if it was a pie chart it would be easier? Not sure but just something different would be nice so you could see all the VMs.
I feel Scale Computing is well suited for any small or medium business that needs more than 1 physical server. The ease of use and capabilities of the cluster are really unmatched for the price. I like how all the features are included for one price. I could even see it being used in a larger enterprise environment.
We run in-house Exchange, SQL, MySQL, and Apache web servers. They run flawlessly. The only problems I have are with the individual applications themselves, never at the infrastructure level. When I bought the system they didn't have SSD out yet, so I can't speak about the ability to portion out the SSD across VMs but it looks super awesome!
Read Tom Blazek's full review
December 06, 2017

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale HC3 First Impressions"

We started working with a client that recently deployed a 4 node SCALE HC3 cluster. Our role was to help transition them from VMware/HyperV VM's to be on Scale HC3 instead.

It is being used now for 90% of all services/vms within the company. They still have a couple physical servers due to the complexity of moving those to Scale Computing HC3, this in addition to using the volume of storage they have on the physical servers.

The main business problem it addressed was stability and simplifying the environment. The HC3 cluster gives them the stability and redundancy they needed to ensure they have great uptime!
  • Simplifying building and running a Hypervisor Cluster for redundancy and uptime.
  • Fast deployment/snapshotting
  • Great technical support, really fast.
  • Expanding volumes is cumbersome (have to clone the vm and make the drive bigger)
  • Little support for UPS and network shutdowns
  • Tricky to migrate VM's to HC3 unless you use their paid software product
  • GUI is pretty simple and barebones, feels like it limits what you can do.
We would recommend a customer look at Scale HC3 if they want a simple/fast way to deploy a clustered environment. The price point on a Scale Computing HC3 cluster isn't very appealing compared to a HyperV cluster build with a SAN, but we understand the power behind the all-in-one approach of Scale HC3.
Our application/server set is a mixed Windows Server/Desktop VM world with a healthy dose of Linux CentOS VMs. We enjoy how quickly we are able to take a node offline and all VM's will move gracefully on their own. The Scale Computing HC3 system seems to keep all nodes balanced without much thought from our end. The redundant networks work great and we have done testing by pulling a switch and watching the networks fail over without missing a beat!
Read Jason Grilo's full review
February 05, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Three year review of Scale's HC3"

The HC3 was implemented by a client as a company-wide infrastructure replacement for both physical systems as well as an existing VMware cluster. It replaced 7 physical servers that were quite old, and the two node VMware cluster had one host that was past it's prime. VMware needed to be upgraded, and after looking at the hardware and software costs, the HC3 was a simple decision.
  • Ease of Use - the interface is simple, clean, and intuitive enough that if you have ever used any virtualization platform you really don't need any training to get going.
  • Ease of Implementation - Once the hardware is mounted, a configuration was performed remotely by scale. They assisted in switch setup by providing requirements, and the cluster itself was done by a technician on the phone with you. It was really running a few commands to initialize the cluster and after that, anything that came up they took care of.
  • We had a node failure, and nobody knew. The system kept chugging along without interruption (that anyone could tell). After one phone call, we had the replacement the next day. The cluster was reinitialized and everything worked without having to schedule any downtime.
  • System updates are essentially a click of a button. Everything then is handled behind the scenes. I had one update timeout, and a quick call later (on a Saturday no less), it was deduced that it was a timeout issue. After adjusting the timeout, the update ran fine.
  • The trade off for many of the complexities of management are taken care of behind the scenes, is that you are limited on many of the configuration options one is used to in other virtualization platforms. That is not to say it is by any means simplistic or inflexible and if you are looking for a system that does not require weeks of training and experience to manage, this is it.
  • With the simplicity of the interface, troubleshooting some issues like email notifications can become difficult.
  • If you have a small infrastructure that is moving into a hybrid cloud environment, it can be a bit cost prohibitive.
It's great if you need an infrastructure in a box. With the added benefits of being able to scale up and provide replication across multiple locations, it really does do much of what may be needed. It is particularly well suited for simpler environments where you may not need all of the virtual networking, and complex storage options in VMware.
We've run everything from Domain Controllers, to file services to ERP systems without any issues. The fact that the cluster holds up well during a node failure has really helped, especially mission critical software such as Syspro. Reboot times are very fast on virtual systems, so even if there is a software based issue, rebooting is not the inconvenience that it used to be.
Read Mikolay Bujak's full review
February 02, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "I love our Scale"

[It's being used] To host most corporate servers including AD, file, print, CCTV and app servers.
  • Ease of use
  • Superb value compared to traditional competitors
  • The time between order and delivery seems slow.
If you need to consolidate 4 or more servers, I don't know of a better way to do it currently. We currently have 10 VMs and I would dread doing it the old-fashioned way now. VMWare and its ilk seem clunky and overbearing in comparison now.
We currently host:
- Active Directory
- File Servers
- Print Servers
- Security Camera system & storage
- Stadium concession systems (critical game-day system)
- Stadium 50-50 system (critical game-day system). Our 50-50's are a huge deal in this part of the world.
Read Darren Woolston's full review
February 02, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale HC3 3 Node first time purchaser review"

We use our Scale 3 node cluster to run our 5 virtual machines that service our 4 locations. Functions include application servers, web servers and test machines that are used by all departments. The HC3 cluster gives us an easy method to backup an entire machine and is a first step in building a secondary site in which we can replicate our scale data to.
  • Scale platform updates - the scale cluster runs on its own software and can be updated in real time without causing any downtime for production virtual machines.
  • Node capacity visibility - the software provides an easy window into how much storage and RAM capacity is available on each node and simplifies being able to see how much room there is for growth for new virtual machines.
  • Snapshotting - the scheduling of snapshots works extremely well and is an easy set and forget method for backups on a daily basis.
  • While Scale handles storage and RAM utilization very well, CPU usage is somewhat hard to configure - you can configure how many CPU cores a VM gets but it's not overly simple to boost an individual VM's CPU performance.
  • The custom software that runs on the scale cluster is simple but doesn't necessarily support all backup products out there - or maybe the other backup products don't support them yet - VEEAM for example, backing up a VM outside the hypervisor isn't supported.
  • I would like to see the software made available so we can add it to other physical servers we have available - for example, say we have an old VM Ware server and we want to convert it to a Scale node - having the ability to install the software on our hardware would be a huge plus.
Scale is very well suited for small to medium businesses with workloads that are not necessarily overly storage critical - meaning small SQL and Exchange deployments can be handled fairly easily. Taking out the need to have a separate storage device added to existing physical servers running the Hypervisor simplifies the overall scope of a project
We are running a web server with an MS SQL database on the back end. The software specification made it sound like it was pretty hardware intensive and that a robust storage and physical machine environment would be required to run on an acceptable level. We took an educated chance on Scale and it has been running our applications with ease since day one with an increase in performance from our old physical server-based application.
Read Ray Vopat's full review
February 02, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "HC3 how to make your life easier."

We are using the HC3 to run several of our virtual servers. Two of the servers are our domain controllers. We are in the process of migrating more of our VMs over from VMware. The use of Scale has freed up resources that we had budgeted for VMware.
  • Very easy to install and migrate existing VMs over from VMware.
  • Support is seamless and remote help is a click away.
  • Support is US based and never a problem getting in touch with a technician on the first try.
  • The only thing that was missing when we purchased the unit was remote replication. They have addressed this with a cloud offering.
If you are looking to save money on your virtual environment then Scale will help you accomplish this. We have not had one issue in two years of running the system.
We have several of our domain controllers running on the HC3 and the migration was seamless. We are ready to move other mission-critical systems over to our HC3 cluster.
Read john Galotta's full review
January 30, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Honest review of Scale Computing's HC3x"

Scale Computing's HC3x has allowed us to virtualise 100% of our company's server infrastructure. We've used the technology for the last 5 years and it has been as solid as a rock. The biggest benefit is its simplicity because we are a small IT department and don't have the time to maintain a more complicated solution such as VMWare or Hyper-V.
  • The simplicity of the technology is its biggest strength.
  • There aren't different licensing levels and so all features are available in the standard licensing costs.
  • Their support team is second to none. Everyone I've spoken to is extremely knowledgeable about their product.
  • The only drawback is that if you need extra storage, your only option is to purchase another node. On other platforms, you could just install extra storage space.
Scale Computing for us has been a life-saver. Spinning up new virtual machines takes seconds with minimal configuration required. I suppose the only scenario that Scale Computing HC3 wouldn't be suitable is if you need USB/com pass-through as they can't [be] presented to the virtual machines.
We run four SQL servers hosting our business systems, terminal servers, domain controllers, deployment servers and file & print servers.

Spinning up new servers is incredibly simple and can be started within seconds.
Read Adam Hassall's full review
January 29, 2018

"Scale Computing HC3 - Review"

Scale Computing HC3 has been implemented as a replacement for the client's old VMware environment. The client wanted a more substantial and reliable virtual platform for their business. They have multiple remote sites and remote uses, in which they wanted to provide a seamless user environment to all users. They have 6 virtual servers and 16 virtual desktops. The HC3 platform has fulfilled the client's current needs and should carry them well into the future.
  • Relaibility
  • Rapid systems deployment
  • Excellent fault tolerance, backup, and recovery
  • Easy overall management
  • Snapshot management has room for improvements, more recovery options, export options, etc.
  • Image import/export could encompass more virtual image types.
Any business with greater than average amount of servers or remote desktops would be an excellent opportunity for deployment of the Scale Computing HC3. Small businesses with one or 2 servers, in my opinion, would not enjoy the benefits that the Scale platform affords.
Read Robert Leno Jr's full review
January 29, 2018

Review: "Scale Computing HC3 - Give it a look before going with the "usual suspects""

We use HC3 to virtualize ALL server assets. High performance, delegatable interface.
  • Super easy to use, easy to delegate to technicians
  • Much lower cost than most competing products
  • Excellent support
  • Could use better integration with UPS's. Currently UPS shutdown has to be handled by a separate windows system
  • Sometimes, migrating other vendor's VM appliances can be a bit "fiddly"
Small to mid-sized organizations looking for higher performance, and the advantages of virtualization with little of the added administrative pain and cost.
The system makes it very easy to allocate additional resources (RAM, CPU cores, Disk space) as needed, and simply.

We run our DNS and LDAP servers, on HC3, and found the the VM was under-supplied with disk space. Very simple to add more storage.
Read Jefferson Davis's full review
January 29, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale Review"

We use Scale to house all our Windows servers, roughly 25 total. The reliability has been tremendous. Only real problem we have had is resizing hard disks in our VMs.
  • High availability. We have had no unplanned downtime.
  • Technical support is amazing. Very responsive.
  • Easy to expand and grow.
  • Can only use static memory
  • Too cumbersome to expand hard drive in VMs
  • Too hard to manage snapshots and storage
Perfect for small business that needs high availability, but cannot afford traditional clustering technologies.
We run our terminal server which all company users use to access our accounting system and our ERP.
Read Jamie Yennie's full review
January 23, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale Review"

We use it across the whole company. It is our virtual host for all of our servers. It also helps us manage such a large group of servers (12), and there are only two of us in the I.T. department. Management of this solutions is very easy and intuitive. We also have two cluster at a different location as our DR site.
  • Management. It is very easy to manage your environment through one pane of glass. You know the health of your hardware by just looking at the main page.
  • Support. Their support is all based here in the U.S. They are very timely to get to you, and they keep you informed throughout your issue.
  • Price. They are very well priced for what you get.
  • Compatibility. Some manufactures don't have products that will run on the KVM kernel.
Scale Computing HC3 is great for small to medium businesses and I.T. departments. They have a great pane of glass to tell what is going on in the environment. They also scale out very easily. I would also have to say they have some of the best support around.

The only thing I could think that would not be the best scenario for Scale Computing HC3 is in extremely large companies.
We run our Exchange Servers, HVAC, Shoretel, File Servers, Scanning Servers, Domain Controllers, and I would run anything else on this hardware.
Read Greg Starnes's full review

About Scale Computing HC3

Scale Computing’s HC3 virtualization platform is a complete ‘datacenter in a box’ with server, storage and virtualization integrated into a single appliance to deliver simplicity, availability, and scalability at a fraction of the cost.

According to the vendor, key features and benefits include:

• Install in less than an hour
  • Deploy new VMs in minutes
  • Built-in Browser-based Management
  • Software-defined, hybrid storage system with automated tiering
  • Fully integrated, cluster-wide resource utilization and alerts
  • Single vendor support experience, no disparate systems to integrate
  • Integrated all-in-one appliance
  • Scale-out Architecture
  • Mix and match new nodes
  • Incremental resources improve performance of existing workloads
  • Fast and easy to expand, no downtime required
  • No additional licensing required
  • Start small and grow as your business grows
  • No forklift upgrades