https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/8Q/b9/W47TSZK0C41J.PNGScale is a great solution with second to none supportScale HC3 is being used across the entire organization for all our server needs. It is housing all our VMs as well as all of our network storage. It has solved the issues with VMWare licensing, an outdated SAN as well as multiple host servers required to properly run a VMWare environment.,The best thing about Scale is its simplicity. I used a VMWare solution for the past 5 years and never really felt like I had a grip on how to fully use it. I've had Scale in place for less than 6 months and am so confident in it, I feel as though I could almost train someone else on how to use it. Scale's technical support is second to none. I've had a couple of issues with it and everyone I've spoken with is knowledgeable, friendly and eager to help resolve any issue. With previous solutions, updating firmware is a large endeavor compared to Scale. Scale actually recommends doing it during production time instead of scheduling downtime during evenings or weekends. It makes managing everything easier without me having to come into work on my off time.,As with everything, I wish the price was a bit cheaper but by comparison to others but it's not bad when compared to similar solutions. Not that it was needed in my case but the option to have a Scale engineer on site for setup might be nice for some instances. The scheduling of the setup calls and training could be explained a little better and even possibly a quick overview of how to use the scheduling portion of the customer portal.,10,10,We run everything on our Scale solution. This includes a SQL server for our ERP software, multiple licensing applications as well as file servers and domain controllers. I even have some desktops set up for VPN purposes. Everything works flawlessly. I can't imagine a scenario where Scale wouldn't meet our needs.,Considering the short time I've had Scale, it's hard to speak to ROI but before purchasing we did compare costs of our previous solution in terms of licensing costs and future hardware costs and Scale was the less expensive option. From purely a power consumption perspective, the Scale solution is definitely a cost saving feature. I find myself with additional circuits that aren't needed any longer in my server room. Even in the short time I've had Scale in place, I can already tell that the uptime is better than with our previous solution.,Nutanix and VMware ESXiScale HC3, Hyper-Convergeance the Easy Way!We replaced our physical servers with the Scale HC3 solution at all three plants in the US. We host everything from file and print services to our ERP system and database on them. We also host a terminal server and a variety of other server infrastructure on the HC3 Cluster. Disaster recovery and business continuity are also completely managed on three clusters around our organization reducing the need for expensive and hard to manage DR solutions. Management and cost of operation of all these resources have been drastically simplified by this technology. The web management interface is simple and easy to use, yet extremely powerful and comprehensive. Because the Scale nodes have such a small 1-U footprint, we've found cooling and energy consumption has also been minimized.,Simplicity - Scale HC3 takes the guesswork and time investment out of managing a virtualized server environment and you don't need to go to expensive classes to become an expert. Performance has been stellar and reliability is unmatched. Our Scale nodes have been up and online since installation three years ago. The support staff is there to help if you ever need it and they'll look into your system at any time to make sure everything is running as designed. The virtualized environment is robust and scale-able and there's no need to do a server refresh ever again. If a node fails, the VMs migrate over to another node and no one except the IT staff knows about it. You can keep your old nodes in place until the disks fall out of them and you'll be covered.,It would be nice if we could add a storage only node with very little or no processing power. This would be nice because we wouldn't have to acquire server CALs every time we add storage.,10,10,Our ERP system runs on our Scale environment and it's flawless. Scale's data prioritization algorithm allows us to assign solid-state storage to that application so it performs with lightning-like speed. Our AutoDesk Vault application has synchronized instances across two of our locations allowing local copies of our design models for our drafting and engineering teams to have instant access to. We replicate our VMs to the nodes at the other plants so we get offsite backups which can be instantly stood up to verify their content or recover files.,We've been very happy with our decision to use Scale for our server refresh. It's been a positive experience by all accounts.,VMware ESXiScale Computing HC3 saved our IT InfrastructureThe Scale Computing HC3 solution is used across the entire organization. It replaced over 50U of traditional hardware down to 3U. Saving us a lot of aggravation dealing with multiple third party vendors for support and maintenance agreements, while simplifying our own internal support and maintenance of over 50 Virtual machines. The savings was so significant, that we realized an 18 month ROI and saved tremendously on energy costs. Additionally, a battery backup unit now provides us with over 7 hours of backup power vs. 45 minutes previously.,One point of contact for everything infrastructure, namely storage, compute and hypervisor. Updates can be applied with very little downtime if any, and no longer needs weeks/months of preparation. Recovering data is as easy as booting up snapshots, which we are now using as a backup tool. Can't wait to roll out Scale Computing at our disaster recovery site for painless failover and failback.,Wish there was flash drive when we purchased it, but they have it now, and actually have a retrofit for our existing units which we will consider implementing shortly.,10,10,We run a SQL based document management system from OpenText that manages close to 30TB of documents. Moving to Scale Computing HC3 gave users much faster search and fetch times by a factor of 5. We run 4 Exchange Servers along with 40 other application servers, which have all run seamlessly in the last two years. The hypervisor (KVM) allowed us to import old and new servers that are critical to our business. We converted many standalone servers to consolidate our physical footprint, for better management and performance.,18 month ROI, need I say more? Less time managing server infrastructure allows the IT team to focus on other projects. Increased battery backup time means "no" worry and/or stress whenever there is a power storm.,Nutanix,85,2,Yes,Price Product Features Product Usability Positive Sales Experience with the Vendor Third-party Reviews,This is one for the history books. That is how I see the decision to introduce Scale Computing to our organization a few months after joining a new organization. A lot was riding on this direction, potentially my job should things go south. That said the solution never let me down, it established a better sense of trust from the executives and the IT Team, who are all now Scale converts. Going back, I wouldn't change a thing, and will gladly deploy Scale Computing in a heartbeat today and the next.Scale: Smart, Simple, Effective, Reliable, and so much more...We implemented Scale clusters in both of our offices as a replacement for the prior HyperV-Based VM infrastructure. We utilize Scale's built-in snapshot and replication technology to provide VM-level backup & DR protection. All of our primary storage is now managed as part of the Scale environment. Scale integrates VM operations, management, and protection into a unified system that provides more capability at lower cost than the multi-vendor collection of products we used previously.,Scale's hyperconverged environment presents a single pool of resources that support our VMs. It intelligently handles decisions related to storage provisioning and load balancing across nodes. Snapshots and replicas are created in a few clicks within a simple to use web interface. Gone are layers of settings found in some other products we've used. The 'at-a-glance' dashboard tells me everything I need to know about the current status and utilization of the Scale cluster.,The ability to cut, copy, and paste into a console in a browser tab would be wonderful. I appreciate the ability to click on the storage gauge on the dashboard and drill down into detail. Shouldn't that be available on every gauge? The ability to schedule exports, restarts, etc from the management interface would be useful.,10,10,Our environment is 100% virtualized and entirely on Scale Computing. This includes Main file servers; Active Directory domain controllers, SQL servers; speech processing systems; print servers; security management servers; e-discovery hosts; RDS server farms; legal application servers. Our experience is that, no matter what we ask Scale to do, it does it very well. We P2V moved our primary file server on to the Scale cluster with zero issues.,Our Scale investment will pay for itself in 2 years with the reductions we're seeing in server licensing, management software, backup software, and online backup services. We've had zero downtime attributable to Scale.,Nutanix Acropolis and StarWind HyperConverged Appliance (HCA)HC3: Flexibility AND PerformanceScale HC3 has replaced our traditional stack of servers, storage, and networking for our entire organization. We have two clusters, a one node, and a three node. Implementation of HC3 reduced our server refresh cost by 40% and provided a flexible architecture where, going forward, we can add or replace nodes on a planned periodic basis rather than monolithic refreshes every four years. The ease of deployment and maintenance are a significant benefit to our small organization.,Simplified management. Management of the cluster is via a single web interface, it is simple and does not require extensive training to navigate or operate making it accessible to mid-level staff. The flexibility of the hardware mix within a cluster. Allowing a variety of hardware levels and ages within a cluster and the system's ability to assigned loads to best leverage this mix of hardware allows us to manage cost by not "over buying" hardware capacity to meet a few high demand workloads. Support by Scale. We have had few needs to contact support which is the first plus, but secondly, when we have had needs or questions responses have been prompt and accurate with first contact resolution.,The tools for migrating to the HC3 platform have a few issues and caused issues with some security keys and certificates. After a couple issues we ended up migrating key servers by using a fresh build and migrating data with was more disruptive but more successful.,10,10,Primary loads in our environment are databases (MS SQL and Postgress) as well as file and document management. These all have high demand and IO activity and the platform has responded well to these demands.,The platform saved us 40% at deployment vs. traditional alternative and was a substantially smaller investment that alternative hyper-convergence solutions with similar performance specifications. We have been able to reduce head-count by one with the HC3 platform in place. We have been able to eliminate the annual licensing cost associated with VMware which added to the ROI of HC3.,
Windows, Linux, Unix
Scale Computing HC3

Scale Computing HC3 Reviews

Scale Computing HC3
Filter 217 vetted Scale Computing HC3 reviews and ratings

Tracy Burton profile photo
March 12, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale is a great solution with second to none support"

• The best thing about Scale is its simplicity. I used a VMWare solution for the past 5 years and never really felt like I had a grip on how to fully use it. I've had Scale in place for less than 6 months and am so confident in it, I feel as though I could almost train someone else on how to use it.
  • Scale's technical support is second to none. I've had a couple of issues with it and everyone I've spoken with is knowledgeable, friendly and eager to help resolve any issue.
  • With previous solutions, updating firmware is a large endeavor compared to Scale. Scale actually recommends doing it during production time instead of scheduling downtime during evenings or weekends. It makes managing everything easier without me having to come into work on my off time.
  • As with everything, I wish the price was a bit cheaper but by comparison to others but it's not bad when compared to similar solutions.
  • Not that it was needed in my case but the option to have a Scale engineer on site for setup might be nice for some instances.
  • The scheduling of the setup calls and training could be explained a little better and even possibly a quick overview of how to use the scheduling portion of the customer portal.
Scale definitely has a market where it fits and is a great solution (small to medium-sized businesses). Very large organizations may be better suited to a different solution. For the market that Scale fits into, it really is a perfect solution. I had compared Scale to Nutanix and while Nutanix had some additional features, I couldn't justify the additional costs. However, a large organization may find that additional feature set very useful and worth the additional costs.
Read Tracy Burton's full review
Kyle Legg profile photo
March 09, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale HC3, Hyper-Convergeance the Easy Way!"

• Simplicity - Scale HC3 takes the guesswork and time investment out of managing a virtualized server environment and you don't need to go to expensive classes to become an expert.
  • Performance has been stellar and reliability is unmatched. Our Scale nodes have been up and online since installation three years ago.
  • The support staff is there to help if you ever need it and they'll look into your system at any time to make sure everything is running as designed.
  • The virtualized environment is robust and scale-able and there's no need to do a server refresh ever again. If a node fails, the VMs migrate over to another node and no one except the IT staff knows about it. You can keep your old nodes in place until the disks fall out of them and you'll be covered.
  • It would be nice if we could add a storage only node with very little or no processing power. This would be nice because we wouldn't have to acquire server CALs every time we add storage.
If you have more than one physical server in your environment, and you want unmatched redundancy and performance, virtualize with Scale HC3. You'll wonder how you lived without it for so long. Each node is about the same cost as a physical server depending on how you spec it.

Read Kyle Legg's full review
Dominique Joseph Chung profile photo
March 08, 2019

Review: "Scale Computing HC3 saved our IT Infrastructure"

• One point of contact for everything infrastructure, namely storage, compute and hypervisor.
  • Updates can be applied with very little downtime if any, and no longer needs weeks/months of preparation.
  • Recovering data is as easy as booting up snapshots, which we are now using as a backup tool.
  • Can't wait to roll out Scale Computing at our disaster recovery site for painless failover and failback.
  • Wish there was flash drive when we purchased it, but they have it now, and actually have a retrofit for our existing units which we will consider implementing shortly.
If cost is not prohibitive, many small business would benefit from the redundancy and cost savings through the simplicity of managing this system. Scale Computing has addressed this issue by creating a 1U standalone system thus taking advantage of their storage and hypervisor technology, but the downside is less redundancy. I understand that with the new flash drive units, the IOPS performance is stellar, which would make it suitable for much larger business than what was previously available. I think this solution is way better than anything out there if only people knew.
Read Dominique Joseph Chung's full review
David Roden profile photo
March 05, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale: Smart, Simple, Effective, Reliable, and so much more..."

• Scale's hyperconverged environment presents a single pool of resources that support our VMs. It intelligently handles decisions related to storage provisioning and load balancing across nodes.
  • Snapshots and replicas are created in a few clicks within a simple to use web interface. Gone are layers of settings found in some other products we've used.
  • The 'at-a-glance' dashboard tells me everything I need to know about the current status and utilization of the Scale cluster.
  • The ability to cut, copy, and paste into a console in a browser tab would be wonderful.
  • I appreciate the ability to click on the storage gauge on the dashboard and drill down into detail. Shouldn't that be available on every gauge?
  • The ability to schedule exports, restarts, etc from the management interface would be useful.
Scale is obviously well-suited for SMB / SME environments. Larger environments will likely find a reduced need for dedicated storage admins or VM specialists in-house. Environments that rely on SDN or very complex VLANs may find Scale's networking to be somewhat limited.
Read David Roden's full review
Marshall Curtis profile photo
February 22, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "HC3: Flexibility AND Performance"

• Simplified management. Management of the cluster is via a single web interface, it is simple and does not require extensive training to navigate or operate making it accessible to mid-level staff.
  • The flexibility of the hardware mix within a cluster. Allowing a variety of hardware levels and ages within a cluster and the system's ability to assigned loads to best leverage this mix of hardware allows us to manage cost by not "over buying" hardware capacity to meet a few high demand workloads.
  • Support by Scale. We have had few needs to contact support which is the first plus, but secondly, when we have had needs or questions responses have been prompt and accurate with first contact resolution.
  • The tools for migrating to the HC3 platform have a few issues and caused issues with some security keys and certificates. After a couple issues we ended up migrating key servers by using a fresh build and migrating data with was more disruptive but more successful.
The Scale Computing HC3 platform is incredibly flexible making it an excellent fit for most small to mid-sized organizations. It also allows for effective cost management and scaling as the organization's needs change.
Read Marshall Curtis's full review
Chris Waddilove profile photo
February 20, 2019

"Scale Computing HC3 - First Time User Review"

We use Scale across the whole organization - a trend started by our head office in Germany to fully virtualize our entire server-based network.
  • Snapshots - CoW makes things very quick and painless.
  • Replication to another cluster - Painlessly simple and reliable.
  • Replication to the cloud - Similarly simple with added peace of mind.
  • Ease of use - Even for someone highly technical, it is nice to "take a break" from the crazy options of VMWare and others to just have a basic-controlled hypervisor.
  • Cost - While I understand support/maintenance makes up a large part of it, the cost for expanding RAM, for example, in an existing cluster is several times more than if you were maintaining hardware yourself.
  • Licensing (Microsoft) - Could use assistance from Scale in determining/calculating the best Microsoft license layout (how many cores? how many CPUs? datacenter vs standard?).
  • USB - While not a complete necessity, it would be nice to have a feature to map a USB port/device to a virtual machine. The hardware itself has several USB ports but none are really usable. Digi USB Anywhere worked well for our case, but still, it would be nice to do the odd data dump/backup/restore via USB drive (ex. really old project reference from the 1990s stored on external USB).
I think it's well suited to all but the most critical workloads - VMWare may benefit from added speed using proper drive controllers and SSDs, but I find Scale Computing HC3 to be the best "run of the mill" software available.
The biggest change for us (on the engineering side) was the consolidation of our Siemens TeamCenter servers. We were able to go from 4 physical machines down to a Scale HC3 cluster of 3 nodes (3 physical machines), and on top of that, I am able to run several other servers from this cluster all without affecting the overall performance of TeamCenter. This has allowed us to ultimately turn off 11 old single-host hardware servers in place of our overall two clusters of 3 nodes each (totaling 6 physical machines). The cost savings in power alone has been pretty massive.
Read Chris Waddilove's full review
Chris Selby profile photo
March 14, 2019

Review: "Scale Computing HC3 has saved my department money and provided countless hours of needed rest!!!"

We have replaced our aging physical servers with HC3, and this has allowed us to build servers and desktops to support various workloads. Before Scale, we had a few servers that provided several application functions or services. This did not allow us to perform maintenance in a manner that did not affect several departments at once. Now if one department has an issue, we can work on their problems without affecting any other application or service.

We recently purchased and deployed a cluster to enable replication and DR for the organization. Next, we will deploy a cluster to support virtual desktops and stream applications to our end users enabling better mobility and security.

Scale was a perfect fit for our organization and we can better support our users and their needs easily and efficiently.
  • Ease of deployment and ease of administration. With limited IT staff we are able to react to changes quickly and from almost anywhere.
  • Built-in replication. This allows us to implement backup and disaster recovery for significantly less money and administration overhead.
  • Excellent performance. We are able to satisfy our SLA's without a large IT team.
  • No GPU support. Some of our users are going to need GPU support for their virtual desktops. Without GPU's it will require significant CPU horsepower to make up for it.
  • Redistribution of workloads between HC3 nodes. This is a higher end feature but would be nice in the event there was some sort of issue with a virtual machine needing resources that were available on another node.
  • Overall network performance metrics in the dashboard. Hard to know if you are having network saturation issues as you cannot see cumulative network stats per node. Actually, individual hardware performance statistics per node in the dashboard would be a welcome addition.
If you need high Availability in your workloads and have budget constraints, this is an excellent fit for your environment.

If you need GPU support or have high IO workloads this may not be the perfect fit.
Our applications are new and have not been substantially impacted as the Scale HC3 system has been available and up to the tasks we have set before it!!!

We are able to run a lean environment and Scale Computing's HC3 has allowed us to keep our users happy and unaware of any issues that have arisen.
Read Chris Selby's full review
Richard Barrie profile photo
March 12, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale: It allowed us to triple our business size without tripling our IT costs."

We use our scale systems for virtual machine hosting. It allows redundancy, failover, and DR in a simple, speedy way that we did not get from our Citrix or Windows-based virtual environments.
  • Speed of new machine deployment: using prebuilt stored clones we can deploy servers virtually within seconds and have them doing their jobs.
  • Redundancy: our DR is simplified and allowed above the 99.9999% uptime we all strive for.
  • Support: immediate support, remotely built into the OS with a very fast turnaround for any problems.
  • The GUI is very limited in its end-user scope, many times we have had minor problems that we could have fixed ourselves but needed Scale to access the system remotely to fix or advise.
  • Parts needed to come quickly, but the company is U.S. based mostly. Having more parts in UK would mean an even faster turn around.
  • When there have been more advanced problems, the GUI and reporting is quite limited. More info could be given to the end user if there was the ability to do so.
Where you require a quick creation of a virtual machine either live for scaling production or demand. Keeping clones ready to go make it very quick. It can get expensive with more nodes, but the more nodes the better the DR.
We have a production environment in the quarrying and construction business. We have expanded from around 1000 employees to over 3000 employees. In that time the number of sites and demand on our infrastructure has also increased. We choose Scale as it allowed us to easily add more nodes, more powerful newer nodes as the business grew. This has been seamless with Scale being on site with us and remotely. I don't think we would have had other solutions out there that would have been as easy to stay ahead of our growing business so easily.
Read Richard Barrie's full review
Chris Nixon profile photo
March 11, 2019

Review: "Scale Computing HC3 Hyperconverged systems enabled our organisational change"

The primary use case for the Scale Computing HC3 platform was for delivery of VDIs for a specific organisational design activity across two disparate companies. There was little integration at that point and the 2 large organisations had legacy environments that it was/still is hard to integrate (because of scale/cost).

The business team re-organisations were large scale and had been under NDA so minimal preparation could be undertaken. The project had already set a budget in advance.

Therefore we needed a quick to deliver, cost effective way of providing the environments, with DR, within each organisation, for use by employees from the other organisation.

To this end we deployed 16 x Lenovo based Scale HC3 appliances, 4 to each of 4 data centres with each pair of data centres belonging to the individual companies. In this way, we hit the timescales, hit the budget and provided a robust solution hosting, in total, circa 1200 VDIs complete with a replicated DR instance
  • As an appliance, it comes ready built and with all licenses included. No VMWare, no vCentre, no fiddly build steps
  • On site resilience is built in to the cluster - and it works; as does cross site replication for BCP/DR
  • Remote support and the pre tested upgrade facility are good and work - our outsourcers hate it as it doesn't need much outside a service desk call to have some Scale
  • Cross site VM migration is a feature on the roadmap we are looking forward to
  • When dealing with hundreds of VMs all needing the same change e.g. replication settings, being able to select those as a group or set would have been a good timesaver
  • Accessibility to external monitoring could be simpler - it takes a support call to turn it on. Whilst it is understandable that end users are kept away from the configs that make it work, some elements such as simple SNMP names and trap settings could be menu driven.
Cross site VDI or other windows/Linux server deployments
End user compute for key business processes is what we use the platform for, not critical applications themselves.
Read Chris Nixon's full review
Justin Miles profile photo
March 11, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Electric Cooperative Life Made Easier"

This is our first real virtualization project, and the Scale cluster system makes it super simple. Support has been great to work with during the deployment stages. The few little issues we have had, they have been right there all the way. It really has been a great experience so far, and I see us continuing with them far into the future.
  • Easy setup, with great support.
  • Easy configuration after initial setup. You start a VM and just go.
  • Snapshots! Taking a snapshot of a server and restoring back to it is so easy. Love it!
  • None that we have found.
Scale is doing everything we want and then some.
Our OMS (Milsoft) was the first thing we virtualized. It consists of 3 servers total, and the transition from physical to virtual was flawless. We have also virtualized our communications monitoring (Ubiquiti UNMS and airControl) and have had no issue there. Around the same time we started this project, we also started a firewall project with Fortinet. They gave us an image for their analyzer suite and it was very easy to import and start using. Overall, this setup has been amazing!
Read Justin Miles's full review
Diego Mármol Martínez profile photo
March 09, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Suitable for a small data center"

Scale H3 is being used as the virtualization solution for one of our companies that, due to technical requirements, is needing a local data center in addition to the global one. As Scale H3 is one of the easiest and lower-cost hyper-convergence systems on the market, it fits perfectly to our purposes.
  • Easy to use.
  • Low-cost hyper-convergence solution.
  • Scalability.
  • Quick installation and start-up.
  • Inflexible backup.
  • Not integrable with Veeam Backup.
  • Poor management tools.
  • Not a reliable performance with large systems.
Scale HC3 is suited for a small datacenter not requiring large systems with high performance, because of its low-cost price and its ease of use. On the other hand, if you're looking for an optimum system for a high-performance environment, you should go to a more reliable hyper-convergence or traditional virtualization system.
We actually don't manage our business-critical applications from Scale, but we have tested some design-tool servers running into Scale H3C with relative success. If we speak about critical but not high-performance applications, Scale H3C is a good solution, as it's highly scalable.
Read Diego Mármol Martínez's full review
Caswell Allen profile photo
March 09, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale HC3 -- Perfect for a business on the move"

The Scale Computing HC3 Infrastructure is being used by our organization as our Primary production platform.
It addressed all our needs for a stable, reliable, cost-effective and easily deployed and used solution for our IT Infrastructure.
  • It is easily deployed -- it comes pre-configured as a cluster and fits into your pre-configured network seamlessly.
  • All hardware is included -- What is required is sent with the purchase, and the installation is fairly straight-forward.
  • Staff Knowledge -- The technical staff knows their product, and are extremely great to work with. It's a great Company to do business with.
  • Maintenance -- Zero downtime during maintenance (Cluster configuration is perfect).
  • None -- It's perfect as is, don't change anything.
This solution is perfect for environments that require a Hyperconverged solution that is easily deployed, but is not as expensive as the other systems (i.e. VMware).
- All current production systems have been deployed on Scale seamlessly.
Read Caswell Allen's full review
Kelly Mumm profile photo
March 08, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Dumped Xen for Scale"

We use Scale to host our Windows and Linux Server VM environment.
  • Scale is easy to use.
  • Scale has a single web-based interface that allows you to manage all the operations of your VM.
  • Tech support at Scale is responsive and very knowledgeable.
  • Some of the advanced features of the KVM Hyper-visor are not available.
  • Memory overcommit would be nice.
  • The console for the VMs is very basic. I.E. no copy/paste
If you are a small to medium-sized business that wants a dead simple, redundant setup for a VM environment, then Scale is great. The fact that you can drop in a new node at any time to grow the cluster is great. If you are a larger organization that requires more advanced or exotic hyper-visor settings, then Scale may not be for you.
We run our entire server environment on Scale. When we first bought the system we were running Active Directory, SQL server, ADFS, file servers, document management servers and a host of other in house applications. A few months after the purchase, we decided to purchase a business analytics server that required a 64 GB database. One quick call to Scale and we added more memory to the cluster and had the new server running in less than a week.
Read Kelly Mumm's full review
Ben Damon profile photo
March 08, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale Computing HC3: Not your Average Virtual Environment!"

We are using Scale for our whole organization. We are currently utilizing two clusters which operate independently but replicate snapshots between them, so we have a fail over option if need be. We are running 90% of our approximately 30 application and database servers on these clusters. We couldn't be happier with the support Scale provides; they will walk you through every step of the setup and maintenance without any issues. It is the easiest solution I've used.
  • Support is # 1
  • Simple, intuitive interface
  • Consistently releases updates, and takes customer suggestions for improvements.
  • The ability to reduce hard drive size, online, would be nice.
  • The ability to upgrade old hardware's physical disks would be great.
I wouldn't use Scale for a file server, do to the fact that hard drives are not able to be upgraded and I might run out of space in the future. Of course, the newer models do handle much more disk space, so it might not be an issue for some environments. Being a virtual solution, the savings on resources are super. We are running 15 windows servers on our new 3 node Scale environment without any performance hits or complaints from our users.
We have several MS SQL databases 100GB - 300GB, an Exchange server with a 350GB mailstore, a POS system with 25 terminals. No problems with performance.
Read Ben Damon's full review
Greg Madden, CISSP profile photo
March 05, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale is wonderful, not only as a virtualization platform but for increased DR capabilities as well."

It is used across the whole organization. We use it as our core VM platform. It is a major component of our Disaster Recovery policy as well with live snapshot replication. The capability to live migrate between nodes and to instantly spin up snapshots made this an easy decision for my organization
  • Snapshotting - Scale is great at scheduled snapshots to add a layer of redundancy to any DR plan. it can also send snapshots to a remote scale system to act as a VM platform and a DR platform all at once
  • Cloning - If there is an issue with a machine, it is extremely easy to clone it and work on it outside of production
  • Ease of use - overall getting it set up required 2 or 3 command line commands and the nodes did all the work themselves. Uploading ISOs is easier in Scale than any other hypervisor I've ever used
  • Replication - We utilize a second set of nodes in our DR site that all core servers replicate to hourly. We have never had an issue with failed replications over a VPN
  • More support for importing VMs from XenCenter
  • I wish the main interface was more organized, I know the users can make it very organized by using tags and such, but by default, it is very chaotic
  • Better logs for admins to understand what is going on. The current logs don't let us know anything outside of knowing we need to contact support
  • The ability to expand drive size instead of requiring cloning
Any virtual environment, scale works great. highly recommended based on my experience with it
Everything from active directory to banking software. It is easy to scale up, not so much to scale down.
Read Greg Madden, CISSP's full review
Mike Hollingsworth profile photo
February 27, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "HC3 - A fantastic solution for all your needs."

We implemented Scale Computing HC3 to replace our aging EMC data centre. The infrastructure hosts all of our servers and file stores.
  • Extremely easy layout. I can spin up a VM within a few minutes.
  • Zero management. I rarely have to check the infrastructure and receive emails if there is a status change/issue.
  • Support is fantastic. The support team is always quick to respond.
  • To be honest, I haven't come across any negatives of the infrastructure.
HC3 is extremely easy to setup, install and maintain straight out the box. Very quick to spin up a VM and you're able to set up snapshots and replication to additional clusters. We have three clusters on site, one of which is assigned for disaster recovery. We have tested this and were able to have systems back online at the DR site within 15 minutes.
We migrated all of our physical servers to the HC3 cluster. In doing so, we have increased our system uptime stats and in the last 24 months, we have had zero downtime. The infrastructure has proved to be an incredibly resilient and reliable solution. We host all of our server farms split across two clusters and the third is assigned to Disaster recovery.
Read Mike Hollingsworth's full review
Maxim Proulx profile photo
February 19, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Make it easy on yourself."

We have modernized our entire system's infrastructure using Scale HC3. It was a very easy and straightforward transition thanks to Scale. The hardware came in as scheduled, the techs walked me through all different steps of the set-up, and I was up and running in a matter of hours. It then allowed me to focus on the virtualization and the upgrade of my internal systems. Their GUI web-based interface is brilliant in ease of use. I'm not certain of the amount of custom controls that would be available for highly customized solutions, but it's the perfect plug-and-play set-up.
  • Plug-and-play. Web-based GUI makes for extremely easy management and dynamic configuration.
  • Fast. The hardware works for you with very little overhead to run the hypervisor.
  • Budget. Great quality/price for infrastructure requiring strong performance relative to company size.
  • Linux Scripting. Define standard procedures to adapt normal installation scripts to the hypervisor disk and virtual hardware settings.
  • VM Snapshots Automatic Export. The VM Snapshots feature is incredibly easy and an ideal backup solution, but it doesn't come with an automatic export feature unless to a different HC3 Cluster.
Plug-and-play solutions, infrastructures with few admin staffs or straightforward installs. Perfect for set and forget infrastructures or high performing small environments.
We have run multi-server dependent applications with a very high level of performance while also maintaining a solid performance on all mission-critical domain services. Setting-up a complex (high degree of resources interdependence) but straightforward environment (windows and linux based OS standardized deployments) is easy and very efficient. Performance and performance monitoring are both very solid.
Read Maxim Proulx's full review
Gilberto Saldivar profile photo
February 19, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale for redundancy"

We use Scale at Royal ISD. We have over 25 Virtual Servers that are Windows and Linux based. It is used by teachers and administrators in the district and is maintained by our IT department. It has helped with storage and redundancy as we have three in a cluster. It has allowed us to get rid of many old pieces of equipment to free up rack space.
  • Creating virtual machines is very fast.
  • Moving machines if one node goes down is quick. We know this as we have shut down one node for testing to see how fast it was, and we were not disappointed.
  • IO reads are incredibly fast!
  • Being able to use kvm virtual machines would be nice to import. We currently use Aruba cCearpass and have to have this on a Windows-based server Hyper V, as Scale does not support kvm.
Scale works really well with Windows and Linux based machines. However, the only server where we were not able to import or build was kvm-based, which was our Aruba Clearpass server.
All of our SQL servers and Domain Controllers are on Scale. Never have we had an issue where speed or performance is a problem. Our security cameras are all on Scale as well, and we have over 250 cameras in the district that perform flawlessly.
Read Gilberto Saldivar's full review
Darren Schutte profile photo
February 19, 2019

Review: "Scale Computing HC3 cluster has allowed us to easily grow as needed"

We have deployed Scale Computing as our hyper-converged solution to support our manufacturing company's total business. We currently have two clusters deployed in a production and disaster recovery setup. As we have grown Scale has allowed us to easily add nodes needed without the worry of complicated licensing and operation issues.
  • Scale Support is responsive and knowledgeable.
  • Scale will grow as your company needs grow.
  • Scale is easy to use with minimal training.
  • I would like the ability to schedule exporting of VMs for backup purposes.
Scale Computing HC3 is well suited for small to medium-sized businesses that are looking for a VM environment that is easy to use and provide high availability.
We are currently running all servers and applications on our Scale HCS cluster. We have easily added new servers to our cluster to support our ERP application.
Read Darren Schutte's full review
Shane Worley profile photo
March 13, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "SCALE is Pretty Darn Awsome"

We use the SCALE platform across our whole Organization, It has helped us be more flexible , and faster to respond to issues. The smaller footprint has helped us with heating and cooling issues. Updates and patching has become less of a chore, and a more approachable task. Downtimes are becoming a thing of the past..reboots are amazing..!!
  • Implementation was smooth and their technicians were very knowledgeable
  • the training videos were very helpful
  • They responded to every issue, question, and situation very promptly.
  • Getting from our primary cluster, to our DR cluster through the console is kinda clunky, requires a login.
  • Adding different colors for each VM in the console, would be awesome ( or some way to differentiate them).
  • Possibly make it so the dashboard layouts are configurable??
For smaller facilities, pricing is attractive. We were able to move to a Virtual environment, which we likely couldn't jump to on an environment from someone like VMware. Upgrading when needed, due to space or ram requirements, looks like it could be concerning due to additional costs. Operating system licensing is very confusing..!
We are planning on moving most of our mission critical Apps to SCALE. So far our migrations have gone well, and changing resources and moving servers has been fairly easy. Cert server, DC and DHCP are up and running. Plus HUGS, ( for infant security ) all run better and have had less reboots while running on the scale platform.
Read Shane Worley's full review
Michael York profile photo
March 12, 2019

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale HC3 Review"

We use a Scale cluster for our internal data center. We use it for mainly corporate headquarters and have been pleased with its performance. We replaced a retiring Vmware data center setup.
  • Support is great
  • Easy to add a node
  • Snapshotting is simple
  • Recovering a VM from a snapshot is cumbersome.
Scale is good for a small to medium company's data center. Easy to deploy and maintain. If you want to keep your servers and storage separate, this would not be the best solution.
Scale provides a IO/disk latency setting you can tweak to increased performance. This can be for a specific server or multiple.
Read Michael York's full review
Emanuel Landsman profile photo
March 11, 2019

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale Computing Hyper-Converged Infrastructure Review"

Scale Computing HC3 is currently being used for multiple departments and is planned to be used for the entire organization. It allows near immediate spin-up and provisioning of VMs, hourly fail-over/disaster recovery, and file level backup of all VMs.
  • Of all the hyper-converged infrastructure I have tried (Microsoft, VMware, and Nutanix), Scale is the least complex and easiest to manage. It requires very little training to utilize efficiently
  • Support is top notch
  • It is a powerful tool that requires very little external management infrastructure
  • Is not BYOD compatible
Scale is well suited for anyone that needs a virtualization platform but doesn't want to spend a fortune and doesn't have time to learn a complicated system.
I have a File Server, Accounting Software, RDP Infrastructure, EMR, Accounting, PBX, and Access Control all running on Scale. Everything is snapshotted hourly giving a very granular level backup if needed. All roles get their own VM, giving flexibility when dealing with restores, troubleshooting, and testing. Since spinning up clones and new VMs are a click away, it makes scaling up very easy.
Read Emanuel Landsman's full review
Josh Meredith profile photo
March 07, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Great solution!"

We use the HC3 for server deployment across our entire organization to increase fault tolerance and our disaster recovery.
  • Support is responsive and helpful.
  • Set up of the system itself and VMs is as easy as it can be.
  • I have not run into anything yet that I dislike.
The set up for replication to a DR is terribly easy and is one of the reasons we went with Scale.
Our tax collection system is currently installed on the scale cluster and running well.
Read Josh Meredith's full review
Jerry Gerlach profile photo
February 21, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "HC3 - A Clear Choice For Our City"

[It's being used for] SANs, and ESX.

We replaced our entire data center with Scale HC3. It supports our all locations and departments. Our IT staff required zero training. We have gained valuable time now that we are no longer supporting a complex VMWare system with fiber switches, and ESX boxes.
  • Support. Support tickets are handled quickly.
  • System updates are fully automated.
  • Small footprint.
  • Simplified backups.
  • Backups. One to many is a big need for us. SQL, exchange agents would be helpful.
Scale is well suited for a company with a small IT staff. It is not suited if you have operating systems that are not supported on KVM.
Our wastewater treatment plant Uses SQL to gather 100s of inputs every 5 seconds to monitor plant SATA. HC3 does this very well.
Read Jerry Gerlach's full review
Jon Brantner profile photo
September 24, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale HC3 Review"

We replaced our entire physical server environment for a virtual scale environment. It is more economical to maintain and grow than a physical server environment. It provides many additional features including automated notifications of server issues or outages, visibility of server status and ability to remotely control a server the same as a physical server.
  • Centralized server management
  • Quick visibility of the health of the server environment. It provides tools to provide a quick glance at the infrastructure
  • Increased backup/redundancy of data without additional products or implementations
  • More server statistics in the environment window
  • History of CPU usage, disk space/usage/ net traffic. It is currently being monitored but not logged.
  • Ability to customize reports and automate the e-mailing of those reports.
It is a great virtualization product for the small to mid-sized market space.
Primarily it runs our Point of Sale infrastructure.
Read Jon Brantner's full review

About Scale Computing HC3

Scale Computing offers edge computing, virtualization, and hyperconverged solutions for customers around the globe. Scale Computing HC3® software promises to eliminate traditional virtualization software, disaster recovery software, servers, and shared storage, replacing these with a fully integrated, highly available system for running applications. The vendor says that, using patented HyperCore™ technology, the HC3 self-healing platform automatically identifies, mitigates, and corrects problems in the infrastructure in real-time, enabling applications to achieve maximum uptime even when local IT resources and staff are scarce. The vendor says ease-of-use, high availability, and TCO are key differentiators. The product works for distributed enterprises, global retailers, and SMBs alike.

According to the vendor, key features and benefits include:

• Install in less than an hour
  • Deploy new VMs in minutes
  • Built-in Browser-based Management
  • Software-defined, hybrid storage system with automated tiering
  • Fully integrated, cluster-wide resource utilization and alerts
  • Single vendor support experience, no disparate systems to integrate
  • Integrated all-in-one appliance
  • Scale-out Architecture
  • Mix and match new nodes
  • Incremental resources improve performance of existing workloads
  • Fast and easy to expand, no downtime required
  • No additional licensing required
  • Start small and grow as your business grows
  • No forklift upgrades

Scale Computing HC3 Features

Has featureSimplicity
Has featureHigh Availability
Has featureScalability

Scale Computing HC3 Integrations

Leostream, Cloud Unity - Google

Scale Computing HC3 Competitors

VMware vCenter Server, VMware ESXi, Nutanix, Hyper-V, HPE SimpliVity (formerly OmniCube)

Does not have featureFree Trial Available?No
HC12008,500Per Node
HC1250D15,170Per Node
HC12509,665Per Node
HC1250DF16,750Per Node
HC5250D25,700Per Node

Pricing shown in U.S. Dollar. Pricing for other regions available on request.

Scale Computing HC3 Customer Size Distribution