TRUE
TRUE
Scale Computing Platform

Scale Computing for the WIN!

August 12, 2022

December 18, 2020

Scale Review

December 01, 2020

HC3 works for me!

November 30, 2020

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Scale Computing Platform, and make your voice heard!

HC1200

$8,500

HC1250

$9,665

HC1250D

$15,170

Per Node

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://www.scalecomputing.com/document…

What is Scale Computing Platform?

Scale Computing offers edge computing, virtualization, and hyperconverged solutions for customers around the globe. Scale Computing HyperCore software promises to eliminate traditional virtualization software, disaster recovery software, servers, and shared storage, replacing these with a fully integrated, highly available system for running applications. The vendor says that, using patented HyperCore™ technology, the SC//HyperCore self-healing platform automatically identifies, mitigates, and corrects problems in the infrastructure in real-time, enabling applications to achieve maximum uptime even when local IT resources and staff are scarce. The vendor says ease-of-use, high availability, and TCO are key differentiators. The product works for distributed enterprises, global retailers, and SMBs alike.

According to the vendor, key features and benefits include:

• Install in less than an hour
  • Deploy new VMs in minutes
  • Built-in Browser-based Management
  • Software-defined, hybrid storage system with automated tiering
  • Fully integrated, cluster-wide resource utilization and alerts
  • Single vendor support experience, no disparate systems to integrate
  • Integrated all-in-one appliance
  • Scale-out Architecture
  • Mix and match new nodes
  • Incremental resources improve performance of existing workloads
  • Fast and easy to expand, no downtime required
  • No additional licensing required
  • Start small and grow as your business grows
  • No forklift upgrades

Deployment TypesOn-premise
Operating SystemsWindows, Linux, Unix
Supported CountriesGlobally
Supported LanguagesEnglish

VMware vCenter Server, VMware ESXi, and Nutanix Cloud Infrastructure are common alternatives for Scale Computing Platform.

Reviewers rate Usability and Support Rating highest, with a score of 9.4.

The most common users of Scale Computing Platform are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees) and the Government Administration industry.

We were looking for a solution that would allow redundancy of our servers in the case a VM host machine were to go offline in our current server infrastructure. The main thing we use our new Scale Computing Platform HC3 cluster for is the ability of snapshots to reproduce errors in other third-party applications after either an update was applied or a core change was made to the system. We have the knowledge and peace of mind to know if something bad does go on with this update or change; I can always roll back to the snapshot done prior.
  • Snapshots
  • User interface
  • Simplicity
  • Tech support
  • Ability to edit the cluster NICS for each node of the cluster
  • 2FA on users logins for the nodes themselves
While migrating from our Hyper-V solutions, we ran into some errors while using the Carbonite Migrate software on the target machine, and it kept BSOD each time it was power cycled or rebooted, and support sat on the phone for hours on end with me until the issue was resolved and this was at 11:00 pm EST on the weekend.
Every time I reach out with a question or seek some knowledge, I always get what I'm looking for. If they are not able to help right away or answer my question or concern at that given time, they will reach out to someone who does know, even if that person is a third-party vendor or third-party software support person.
We run our whole company on our Scale Computing Platform cluster. We currently run our Fileserver, SQL Server, Shipping Server, ERP Server, and 2 terminal servers for all our remote users.
We currently utilize a 3-node system made up of the Intel nucs. It now houses our servers that were once on an 11-year-old Dell server that was on its last leg. The backup solution at that time consisted of writing to a hot-swappable HDD that needed to be swapped out every morning. Moving to Scale Computing, we spun up a backup server with a solution that mirrors the backups on our local storage/NAS and moves them off-site to a cloud backup repository making them immutable and untouchable unless needed. That was the deciding factor in going with Scale Computing was the redundancy of multiple nodes limiting downtime in the event of a hardware failure.
  • Customer/Technical Service is top notch.
  • Communicate with Customers in regards to updates, news, how-to's.
  • They do not overstate the systems capabilities to simply make a sale, 100% honest.
  • Market their user community more as it is a great tool!
It is well suited for use in an environment where downtime isn't an option; production can't stop. Even for our small shop, if something goes wrong or an HDD on a standalone server fails, we need to be up and running within an hour and Scale allows this, within minutes typically having multiple nodes at our disposal to migrate a server to.
The technicians on the phone, the few occurrences I have had to call in know their systems and know my system well enough that any question I've ever had, I've received a quick and thorough response.
I currently run our domain controller, file server, and backup server in our environment. When maintenance is needed on a node or a system update is ready to be installed, simply migrate the servers to a different node and continue with maintenance while production stays going and there are no business interruptions.
Judy L. Berglund | TrustRadius Reviewer
Scale Computing has various benefits based on the use case. For HC3 it provides for storage, compute and vitualization into a single solution. This allows for simplicity, reduced foot print in the data center, reduced maintenance costs, HVAC, etc. It is a flexible platform right out of the box with minimal setup and configuration time.
  • Eliminates the need for separate storage, compute and networking.
  • Simplistic
  • Fully integrated right out of the box.
  • I do not see anything from a negative standpoint at this time, comprehensive product.
Well suited for small to medium environments, where they may have a limited IT staff. The core data center administrators are challenged to maintain 24/7 uptime and to protect the critical data that resides in the databases and file services that make up the data center that may be spread across dozens or hundreds of workloads. The infrastructure to run all of these workloads and store their data can become complex as it grows and administrators may be challenged to manage multiple server, storage, and virtualization technologies to form the infrastructure. There are a vast number of benefits of moving to a solution combining the best of both worlds.
Support in my opinion has been solid, no complaints and issues are handled in a very expedient manner.
Database such as Oracle and SQL, financial applications are great indicators where they receive the performance that they need. Some other good examples are Sharepoint which as we know can grow very large amount of data.
Scale Computing HC3 has had a huge impact on our organization. As a non-profit organization, we have a very limited amount of funding for technology needs and therefore must allocate our funds wisely. Previously we used a very complicated Microsoft Hyper-V cluster to try and accomplish what Scale Computing does out of the box with the utmost simplicity. We now have a completely redundant server infrastructure that requires very little of our time to maintain and is solid as a rock. Scale computing gets an A++ in our book!
  • Server creation
  • Redundancy
  • Migration
  • Pro services - implementation
  • Replication data compression
Scale Computing HC3 is well suited to smaller organizations that want server redundancy and simplicity of management (does not take a degree to learn the system). It is well suited for organizations that have multiple satellite locations that need redundancy for their systems that can replicate to each other. Scale Computing also offers very small footprint devices for this type of application. It is not well suited for very large and complex organizations whose server infrastructure replicates across several server farms.
I have not used support enough to give a fair assessment.
Virtual appliances, web servers, application servers SQL servers, BI/Tableau servers, other business support applications
Tom Blazek | TrustRadius Reviewer
Scale Computing is being used as our primary server cluster across the whole organization. We have it hosting 20+ servers. It's very easy to use and virtually maintenance free. It has freed up a lot of my time, to be honest, I don't even think about it anymore because it just works.
  • Setting up and provisioning a new VM is super simple.
  • I come from a VMWare environment but the Scale UI is very easy to understand. I can imagine for someone new they would be able to learn the task of managing the cluster very easily.
  • Snapshots and clones are processed super fast.
  • I would like to be able to see actual disk availability instead of the raw number of TB.
  • The ability to copy and paste from your local machine to a VM seems like missing functionality, it is very useful to have.
  • I guess it's not a problem specifically with Scale, probably more with KVM and backup vendors but I really did enjoy having a backup system that worked across the whole hypervisor, it just simplified things a lot.
  • I would like to see the breakdown of the VMs and the amount of RAM they are consuming changed a bit. If its a VM with less than 6 GB it doesn't show on the dashboard. Maybe if it was a pie chart it would be easier? Not sure but just something different would be nice so you could see all the VMs.
I feel Scale Computing is well suited for any small or medium business that needs more than 1 physical server. The ease of use and capabilities of the cluster are really unmatched for the price. I like how all the features are included for one price. I could even see it being used in a larger enterprise environment.
Support is top notch! Every time I have had to call I spoke to someone knowledgeable, and friendly. I can't remember a time when I got off the phone and my problem wasn't solved. Their tech support is one of the biggest reasons I recommend Scale, it gives me so much confidence in the company.
We run in-house Exchange, SQL, MySQL, and Apache web servers. They run flawlessly. The only problems I have are with the individual applications themselves, never at the infrastructure level. When I bought the system they didn't have SSD out yet, so I can't speak about the ability to portion out the SSD across VMs but it looks super awesome!
The Scale Computing product is very easy to use, and intuitive. Often times I dont have a need to log into the cluster for a month or more, but when I do, I have no problem remembering where i need to go to complete various tasks. I really do just set the system up and forget it. Their are a few areas of the UI I would change or freshen up, but other than that I am totally satisfied with the offering
December 18, 2020

Jon Brantner | TrustRadius Reviewer
We replaced our entire physical server environment for a virtual scale environment. It is more economical to maintain and grow than a physical server environment. It provides many additional features including automated notifications of server issues or outages, visibility of server status and ability to remotely control a server the same as a physical server.
  • Centralized server management
  • Quick visibility of the health of the server environment. It provides tools to provide a quick glance at the infrastructure
  • Increased backup/redundancy of data without additional products or implementations
  • More server statistics in the environment window
  • History of CPU usage, disk space/usage/ net traffic. It is currently being monitored but not logged.
  • Ability to customize reports and automate the e-mailing of those reports.
It is a great virtualization product for the small to mid-sized market space.
I have only had to utilize support 2-3 times however I have received exceptional and prompt support for issues.
Primarily it runs our Point of Sale infrastructure.
It performs better than expected and they continue to enhance the options and services that their product offers without additional fees.
Tracy Burton | TrustRadius Reviewer
Scale HC3 is being used across the entire organization for all our server needs. It is housing all our VMs as well as all of our network storage. It has solved the issues with VMWare licensing, an outdated SAN as well as multiple host servers required to properly run a VMWare environment.
  • The best thing about Scale is its simplicity. I used a VMWare solution for the past 5 years and never really felt like I had a grip on how to fully use it. I've had Scale in place for less than 6 months and am so confident in it, I feel as though I could almost train someone else on how to use it.
  • Scale's technical support is second to none. I've had a couple of issues with it and everyone I've spoken with is knowledgeable, friendly and eager to help resolve any issue.
  • With previous solutions, updating firmware is a large endeavor compared to Scale. Scale actually recommends doing it during production time instead of scheduling downtime during evenings or weekends. It makes managing everything easier without me having to come into work on my off time.
  • As with everything, I wish the price was a bit cheaper but by comparison to others but it's not bad when compared to similar solutions.
  • Not that it was needed in my case but the option to have a Scale engineer on site for setup might be nice for some instances.
  • The scheduling of the setup calls and training could be explained a little better and even possibly a quick overview of how to use the scheduling portion of the customer portal.
Scale definitely has a market where it fits and is a great solution (small to medium-sized businesses). Very large organizations may be better suited to a different solution. For the market that Scale fits into, it really is a perfect solution. I had compared Scale to Nutanix and while Nutanix had some additional features, I couldn't justify the additional costs. However, a large organization may find that additional feature set very useful and worth the additional costs.
They are second to none in terms of technical support. In all my time in IT, I've used a lot of different vendors' technical support and I've never had one that I would rate higher than Scale. Responsiveness, knowledge, and willingness to help until they know the issue is resolved are all aspects that Scale has demonstrated on every instance.
We run everything on our Scale solution. This includes a SQL server for our ERP software, multiple licensing applications as well as file servers and domain controllers. I even have some desktops set up for VPN purposes. Everything works flawlessly. I can't imagine a scenario where Scale wouldn't meet our needs.
It's one of the best solutions I've ever implemented. Over the time I've had it, support has been incredible and great new features have been added to make the product even better.
Ryan Elsenheimer | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our HC3 implementation is a 3-unit cluster servicing 31 active virtual machines of varying architecture (Windows Server 2012 R2>Server 2019, and custom Linux distributions). It has provided nearly 100% uptime servicing of the VMs excluding severe power outages, and has eliminated the need for 8 former virtual host servers.
  • The cluster uptime is exceptional.
  • Performance is very good.
  • There is a solid web based configuration interface.
  • Modern SSO Authentication with MFA.
  • VM Auto-start controls are missing.
It works very well in an education environment. It is well suited for databases, voicemail systems, mail filtering, domain controller VMs, DHCP VMs, web server VMs, building management system VMs, federated services VMs. I would say the only time we've seen a less appropriate instance would be extremely RAM intensive VMs, as the system ideally reserves 1/3 RAM to maintain its system redundancy against failure, so high RAM workloads cost 1/3 more in essence.
We have only had 1 issue, and it was resolved within 3 hours, with replacement hardware sent next business day.
Single print server servicing 5,000 users, building management systems controlling perimeter access and heating systems. Secure Token Service infrastructure runs on the system, domain controllers including those with FSMO roles run on the system.
HC3 is very stable and highly scalable, however it does have 2 small issues: 1) the interface poorly delineates where you available RAM utilization will exceed the redundancy threshold, and 2) the interface has a small issue with the search field auto-populating usernames to it because of the field name. Neither are significant issues, but the intent is that gives you any idea of how stellar the product has been. That is all I can find to speak to, to not be a 10. You should get a good idea of how strongly positive I am towards the system.
December 01, 2020

Scale Review

Greg Starnes | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it across the whole company. It is our virtual host for all of our servers. It also helps us manage such a large group of servers (12), and there are only two of us in the I.T. department. Management of this solutions is very easy and intuitive. We also have two cluster at a different location as our DR site.
  • Management. It is very easy to manage your environment through one pane of glass. You know the health of your hardware by just looking at the main page.
  • Support. Their support is all based here in the U.S. They are very timely to get to you, and they keep you informed throughout your issue.
  • Price. They are very well priced for what you get.
  • Compatibility. Some manufactures don't have products that will run on the KVM kernel.
Scale Computing HC3 is great for small to medium businesses and I.T. departments. They have a great pane of glass to tell what is going on in the environment. They also scale out very easily. I would also have to say they have some of the best support around.

The only thing I could think that would not be the best scenario for Scale Computing HC3 is in extremely large companies.
They keep you informed at all times throughout an issue, and the support is based here in the U.S.
We run our Exchange Servers, HVAC, Shoretel, File Servers, Scanning Servers, Domain Controllers, and I would run anything else on this hardware.
It's a great product, but there are a few 3rd party products don't work exactly like they could, but I don't feel like that is a major issue. Most products have another option for it to work.
It is being used by the whole company. It increased reliability and allowed me to separate services into multiple servers increasing redundancy.
  • Reliability.
  • Ease of use.
  • Support.
  • Expandable
  • Combined with Leostream its benefits increase drastically.
  • Backup battery interfacing for power shutdowns.
Scale Computing's HC3 system in my opinion is a must-have for businesses that have server systems.
I don't have any complaints about Scale's support. If I ever have a question or issue they are quick to respond and get my problems resolved in a timely manner. I even had a case of something I didn't agree with on their solutions and two of their developers contacted me about how I would like the solution to be, saying it would be corrected in the near future.
Our ERP system completely runs on Scale Computing HC3. I was able to break out other important services into their own servers so restarting one machine does not take down all services any more.
I dont have any issues with the system. Everything work as expected and when there is a problem its very simple to resolve. The hardest part of installing it was migrating the machines and ones that was completely understood it was easy to accomplish. I would recommend this product to anyone.
We are currently using Scale Computing HC3 across our organization. We chose HC3 due to its simplicity to implement and scale up when necessary. We started with a 3-node system and due to some necessary system upgrades we just added a 4th node to our unit. As a one-person IT department, it made virtualizing our entire environment much easier and without the annual licensing costs of VMWare.
  • Scale Computing HC3 allows me to spin up a test environment in minutes, not hours.
  • With HC3, it is easy to clone a machine, take a snap shot or backup a system. Literally just a few clicks and you are done.
  • HC3 also provides peace of mind that if one-node goes down, the other can spin up easily without missing a beat.
  • In place upgrades of the interface is great, I don't have to have a maintenance window to do routing updates to the interface.
  • I have had very few issues with the HC3 system. It did have a glitch which would not allow me to upload files to the system using the Chrome browser but tech support helped me with a work-around.
  • I don't particularly like the way the web-site knowledge base is put together but I am getting used to it. Thankfully, I haven't needed to use it very much.
The unit I have is very for small SMBs with few or no full time IT personnel, they can be remotely managed and with the new single node option you can have off-site backup/disaster recovery set up in a very time. I can see how this system can be used with multiple small offices/remote site and can scale up to larger enterprises.
Scale Computing support personnel are very knowledgeable about their system. The response time is amazing. And it is all U.S. based. The few times I have needed to contact them, they are very helpful, professional and respectful. Definitely not script-readers!

We run both VMWare and HC3 virtual servers. We are currently running our SQL Server and two terminal servers on our HC3 system. I was reluctant to move the SQL server to a virtual environment due to lag-time issues, but there hasn't been a noticeable lag in our SQL Server. We run all of our payroll, accounting and production software systems on the HC3 nodes. Next up, we will be moving our Exchange system to our HC3 platform as well.

The system is easy to use and maintain. They have an excellent support team but I have rarely had to contact them. I have migrated over with little or no trouble from and older HC3 system to a new one.
there was zero down time during the upgrade.

HC3 works for me!

As a one person IT shop the Scale HC3 system made it easy for me to manage storage and it reduced the number of physical servers I had to maintain. It is used for all departments in our organization from a file server to a mapping server.
  • Their tech support is very good, though I have only had to call a couple of times over the last five years for minor issues.
  • Their sales staff keeps in touch on a regular basis. Some vendors will only call for a sale and assume everything is fine if they aren't hearing from you.
  • The user interface is easy to learn, from creating and scheduling snapshots to creating virtual machines for running test scenarios.
  • Scale Computing HC3 has met all of our company's needs.
I have used the Scale Computing HC3 system to save time by purchasing an appropriate server operating system license and delivering a fully functional server with less time and expense of a physical server. With any purchasing decision you have to weigh out costs and benefits and this system was a perfect fit for our business. They continue to grow and improve their products, so we will be able to continue using their system into the future.
Their support is great and they are able to remote in and work on an issue without taking any of my time. We had a need for a Linux server and all of our other servers were Windows based. The support team walked me through the setup and it was up and running in no time.
We use virtual servers to house mission critical databases that are written to daily with large amounts of data with no issues. Our online backup software is able to connect with the virtual servers to add another layer of disaster recovery.
The graphical user interface makes it easy to see all of the critical information you would want to see on the system. It is easy to create new virtual machines.

Michael York | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use a Scale cluster for our internal data center. We use it for mainly corporate headquarters and have been pleased with its performance. We replaced a retiring Vmware data center setup.
  • Support is great
  • Easy to add a node
  • Snapshotting is simple
  • Recovering a VM from a snapshot is cumbersome.
Scale is good for a small to medium company's data center. Easy to deploy and maintain. If you want to keep your servers and storage separate, this would not be the best solution.
Always quick to jump on a ticket. Friendly and knowledgeable staff.
Scale provides a IO/disk latency setting you can tweak to increased performance. This can be for a specific server or multiple.
Our Scale Computing HC3 cluster is used to provide a virtual host farm for the majority of our storage and services across our small college campus. Ultimately, it is utilized by every single faculty, staff, and student with services ranging from department share folders, LDAP connections, SQL databases, and remote desktops.
  • GUI - The interface is leagues above VMware and is very easy to use. It also supports OSX, which is something we value.
  • Ease of VM setup - Once you have the ISOs and drivers loaded, it takes almost no time to spin up a new virtual machine.
  • Overview and system alerts - Scale is excellent with providing a snapshot of your system resources as soon as you log in and also sends out timely emails to notify you when there are issues.
  • Load balancing - Sometimes when a drive goes out, the entire system has to go through a lengthy re-balancing process.
  • Firmware updates - Scale does a great job at improvements on their firmware, getting a swing-cluster to make those upgrades is difficult.
  • Support - Scale has amazing phone support and always has a knowledgeable tech available for critical issues. Smaller issues seem to get lost and it can be difficult to keep track of non-priority tickets.
I think Scale is perfect for small organizations that don't want to buy virtual hosts and storage. They also don't have ridiculous software licensing costs like many other virtual providers. I am not sure where it would be less appropriate, but they are a lesser known company and there may be scenarios where more known software are compatible with other vendors.
Excellent phone support and dedicated techs. Smaller issues seem to get shuffled around, but that is not a huge issue.
We run our main LDAP, SQL, and remote desktop services on Scale. We had an aging installation of SQL server. Because we had it on Scale, we were easily able to make a replacement/upgrade VM and then seamlessly transfer everything over to the new server with no glitches. We can also spin up test VMs in no time at all. And delete them just as easily once we are finished.
Good product. Hardware seems to be a tad lower quality than when they first started. Single-pane management and ease of use between OSX and Windows machines makes it easy to access from any workstation.
We use Scale to run all the virtual servers in our environment, including Windows file servers, active directory, DNS, and Exchange. We also have a DR cluster attached where we replicate all of those servers. This allows us, as a smaller company, to save on the cost of physical servers and have a reliable virtual environment.
  • Ease of use - initial setup is very simple, and setting up and using virtual machines through their GUI is even simpler.
  • Customer Support - super fast response times, and very knowledgeable staff. I wish all support teams I deal with were as good as Scale.
  • Scaleability - adding new nodes is a breeze.
  • Difficult to resize virtual hard drives.
With a combination of great pricing, ease of use, top-notch support, and scalability, Scale Computing really hits the mark for the small and medium business market. They really make things a lot easier for companies with minimal IT staff.
Scale's support is by far the best support department I've dealt with in my many years of IT. Response times are very quick, and their staff is very knowledgeable.
The most important business-critical application we run on HC3 is Exchange. Everyone knows how important e-mail is in today's business environment. I fully trust in our HC3 environment to keep it, along with our other critical applications running 100% of the time.
The Scale HC3 user interface is very simple and intuitive. Creating VM's is a breeze, and setting up snapshot schedules is also very simple. The settings menu is simple clearly labeled, making it easy to find everything without having to drill down several layers into a menu. The update process is as simple as it gets, with all the information for available updates right in the Update tab in the settings menu. Adding and editing users is done with a few keystrokes and a couple of mouse clicks. I have found nothing about the HC3 product that I would consider difficult.
We purchased our Scale Solution to replace all our physical servers that were lost due to a flood. The cluster provides all the server access needed for our entire organization. As well as it helps supply step one in our backup plan.
  • Easy to use.
  • Best support I have ever dealt with.
  • Sales that actually listens to you.
  • I can't think of any.
No pun intended but with the way you can scale Scale I can't think of any place they could not be used.
Longest I have ever had to wait for a response from support was an hour, and that was on a stat holiday, with the tech calling to tell me they were headed to their computer.
I have a. EMR, and Laserfiche running on my cluster adding storage is just a couple of keystrokes, takes longer for the server software to add in the extra space, and my end users think each VM is on its own physical hardware.
Scale has followed the KISS principles all the way. The simplicity of setup and the feature set is excellent
We are currently utilizing an HC3 cluster for district wide applications including ADDS, DHCP, DNS, wireless controller, door access controller, VOIP, HVAC, perfSONAR, freeNAS. Previously I utilized in-house built servers running XCP-NG. This system worked well, however it was time to host more critical applications as well as a hardware refresh. Scale HC3 provided a few items I didn't have before including high availability, redundancy, an excellent support framework, all of which provide peace of mind. I did not have any support with my previous system as I built it and maintained the software with backups but no true redundancy or HA. All of these were my criteria when sourcing my new solution and in the end Scale provided exactly what I needed and with the lowest TCO.
  • High availability.
  • Support.
  • Ease of use.
  • I am used to more options to tweak. Scale's focus is ease of use but I'm used to being more in control of all options.
Less appropriate if you like to get dirty with the details of maintaining the system. Everything else is great. It does exactly what it is supposed to do and is as hands-off as it can be without being a managed service. You do not have to worry about it doing its job. This is my biggest plus. I don't have to worry about it.
Support has been perfect. They know what they are doing and aren't reading from a flow chart. If the support reps aren't engineers they are very close to it.
Active directory, DNS, DHCP, Ruckus vSmartzone, Symmetry access control, Avaya IP Office. Digital Watchdog Spectrum VMS.
Scale's interface has all of the required options to provision and manage VMs with nothing in the way that a non-expert needs to see. I would give a 10 rating if more detailed and low level options were available but this isn't what Scale is designed to do.
Greg Madden, CISSP | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is used across the whole organization. We use it as our core VM platform. It is a major component of our Disaster Recovery policy as well with live snapshot replication. The capability to live migrate between nodes and to instantly spin up snapshots made this an easy decision for my organization
  • Snapshotting - Scale is great at scheduled snapshots to add a layer of redundancy to any DR plan. it can also send snapshots to a remote scale system to act as a VM platform and a DR platform all at once
  • Cloning - If there is an issue with a machine, it is extremely easy to clone it and work on it outside of production
  • Ease of use - overall getting it set up required 2 or 3 command line commands and the nodes did all the work themselves. Uploading ISOs is easier in Scale than any other hypervisor I've ever used
  • Replication - We utilize a second set of nodes in our DR site that all core servers replicate to hourly. We have never had an issue with failed replications over a VPN
  • More support for importing VMs from XenCenter
  • I wish the main interface was more organized, I know the users can make it very organized by using tags and such, but by default, it is very chaotic
  • Better logs for admins to understand what is going on. The current logs don't let us know anything outside of knowing we need to contact support
  • The ability to expand drive size instead of requiring cloning
Any virtual environment, scale works great. highly recommended based on my experience with it
They are very quick to contact us when we put in a ticket and they work to resolution quickly
Everything from active directory to banking software. It is easy to scale up, not so much to scale down.
I was not a part of the purchase or demo team so i had never even touched it when they brought it in to our company to use. Within 3 minutes of just looking at the interface, I figured out how to do pretty much everything. It is extremely intuitive and even for those without much experience in virtualization, Scale is a wonderful solution.
It is being used across the whole company and also being used by a sister company. Each company has their own HC3 system in place, and each company uses the other for Disaster Recovery.
  • Backups. I love how I can create multiple scheduled backups for one machine so I can have hourly, daily, and weekly backups of our SQL and then can set lower backup schedule for something as simple and the Domain Controller to once a week.
  • Updates. Because we have multiple nodes, we can do the updates and the machines will auto load a balance so nothing has to be down while updating.
  • Speed. These units are fast, like bringing up a fresh install of Windows Server 2016 in 20 minutes. Including the install! I find myself duplicating machines all the time just to run small tests because creating a duplicate only takes like 1 minute.
  • I did notice when we were switching from our old servers to the HC3 that the importing process was not all that easy unless you were already running on a newer hypervisor.
I believe it is well suited for small to medium-sized businesses that need local servers for employees, web servers, and even FTP sites to store data. Large businesses who need Terabytes of storage for each machine to store data for thousands of employees would be able to use the units, but not to the full effect because that would leave them with no storage to run backups or Disaster Recovery.
Each time I have needed their assistance I have gotten a response the same day.
We use SQL as the backbone for many core applications whenever the server hard drive fills it only takes minutes to spin up a duplication of the SQL machine with expanded storage.
Runs great and it may be an OS issue and a Scale issue but wish I could add RAM on the fly.
November 25, 2020

Scale HC3 review

We use the Scale servers as our main production servers for our entire organization. We also use it for our offsite disaster recovery use. It helped our organization to quickly move to an all virtual environment and allows for future processing and storage growth. It also gives us a better disaster recovery plan with offsite storage.
  • Very easy implementation and migration.
  • Great support from Scale Computing.
  • A good path for expansion and growth.
  • Firmware is so simple, Scale technical support backs up our data, implements the updates and verifies all servers are operational.
  • I would like to see Scale allow a totally different snapshot scheduling for our offsite backups.
  • More training for end users to allow us to see potential issues.
This a great solution for smaller organizations to utilize a virtual environment that takes advantage of hyper converged environment. It has all of our CPU processing, SAN storage, and processing memory in one package that is very easy to monitor utilization and at a very low cost.
Excellent technical support. Scale support is very good at fixing issues or implementing updates. Very easy to talk with and I have never had to wait to speak to a support person.
We run all of our production applications on the Scale servers. Every department is dependent of server application uptime. We have had NO outages since moving to the Scale clusters.
Our Scale cluster was very easy to setup and to maintain. Scale support is very knowledgeable and helpful. When initially setting up the cluster we had a question and we did not have to wait on hold for a support person. He answered our questions and gave additional advise for other options. We have had ZERO issues with our servers. Very happy
Scale HC3 is used as our primary virtual host across the organization. We previously employed Hyper-V on a standard server stack. HC3 enabled us to simplify our hardware setup. HC3 has made everything from server setup and provisioning resources to cloning and snapshots much easier. HC3 also allows for scalability as our organization grows over the next few years.
  • Hardware and software support.
  • Simple user interface.
  • Rapid deployment and resource allocation.
  • Remote console is lacking in features.
  • Integration with more partners, such as Veeam.
  • No reporting.
  • HDD storage always reflects maximum usage, not current usage.
  • Sort and filter logs.
Scale HC3 is intended for organizations who are currently not hyperconverged and don't want to spend hours configuring and maintaining servers. The user interface may look a bit dated, but it is functional and not bloated. I really like the snapshots feature as it makes it quick and easy to clone VMs from a previous point in time. We are currently experiencing a 1.6 to 1 ratio of deduplication. I suspect Scale doesn't target large enterprise organizations however, as some features may be lacking in those kinds of environments. The simplicity of Scale makes it easy for smaller organizations with small IT teams rapidly deploy and maintain server infrastructure. That is where the HC3 solution excels.
Scale support has been fantastic throughout the implementation project and beyond. They are quick to respond and will try to solve any problem with their product. Usually I get a response within a few hours even for minor problems affecting non-production servers. Unfortunately, I did have a drive failure early on, but they sent another drive quickly and the process was easy overall. I did however have a few issues with a virtual desktop infrastructure partner integration they had: we simply weren't able to get it to work with our wildcard SSL so we proceeded with another solution.
We run several different software meant for small government organizations. When we made the switch to HC3, the applications all ran just as they did before, but faster. We run Microsoft Dynamics, Laserfiche, and have several SQL databases supporting these applications. We've also explored many open source Linux solutions which are very easy to deploy and run within HC3.
Scale is a very simple solution to deploy. Couple that with their support team and they had us running with new hardware within an hour. The Scale interface isn't the prettiest, but it's very easy to use and navigate. It didn't take me long to get used to using all of the tools, especially with the training they offer.
Thomas Martini | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use the Scale Computing HC3 virtual environment for our entire organization. It provides us with an efficient and inexpensive solution for us to run our 12 virtual servers and 100Tb+ of storage. It was easy to set up and implement and their assistance along the way was incredible!
  • Performance increase over previous virtual environment
  • Easy setup and configuration
  • Easy migration from previous virtual environment
  • Support from Scale Computing was fantastic.
  • VLAN setup was a bit tricky due to our current LAN environment and limitations on the number of Scale network interface cards.
Scale Computing HC3 is well suited for companies that need a lot of storage and performance, but don't have a large budget, or even for ones that do.
Support staff explain things well, are very friendly, and respond to issues extremely fast.
We are running file storage servers, SQL Servers, Reporting Service Servers, RDS Servers, and Web Servers. All have shown increased performance over the previous environment.
The Scale Computing HC3 Server allowed us to move all of our physical and virtual servers without any problems at all. The HC3 handles our extremely large volume of images and data with great speed and reliability. I have been extremely impressed by the Scale HC3.
Blaine Derek Cappel | TrustRadius Reviewer
We first engaged with Scale several years ago as our first dive into server virtualization. We were so impressed we expanded our first cluster within a few months. We have since completed a hardware refresh and to this day we continue to be extremely impressed with Scale Computing HC3! I highly recommend Scale!
  • Server virtualization
  • I/O performance
  • customer service
  • None
Any application that is I/O intensive or mission critical where a virtualized environment is beneficial. Scale Computing HC3 has been a tremendous asset to our information technology infrastructure. Reliable, efficient, easy to use and administer. We did end up taking a video security system server off this solution as it was still better suited for a stand-alone box.
On the rare occasion we have had to contact Scale Computing for any support related issues all of the support representatives have been nothing short of fantastic. Extremely knowledgeable, patient, and of a high caliber of customer service. After years of having Scale Computing HC3, we continue to be very pleased.
Our emergency room medical record system consists of five different servers that we have virtualized on our Scale Computing HC3 solution. Needless to say, these are very important servers that need to have 100 percent uptime. The robust solution that Scale Computing HC3 supplies is the perfect fit for this business critical application.
It just works. Since being introduced to their solution several years ago I have been completely satisfied. They don't over promise or under deliver. The stability, performance, and ease of use have more than lived up to the hype. Spinning up a new VM is simple and quick. The dashboard is fantastic.
David Roden | TrustRadius Reviewer
We implemented Scale clusters in both of our offices as a replacement for the prior HyperV-Based VM infrastructure. We utilize Scale's built-in snapshot and replication technology to provide VM-level backup & DR protection. All of our primary storage is now managed as part of the Scale environment. Scale integrates VM operations, management, and protection into a unified system that provides more capability at lower cost than the multi-vendor collection of products we used previously.
  • Scale's hyperconverged environment presents a single pool of resources that support our VMs. It intelligently handles decisions related to storage provisioning and load balancing across nodes.
  • Snapshots and replicas are created in a few clicks within a simple to use web interface. Gone are layers of settings found in some other products we've used.
  • The 'at-a-glance' dashboard tells me everything I need to know about the current status and utilization of the Scale cluster.
  • The ability to cut, copy, and paste into a console in a browser tab would be wonderful.
  • I appreciate the ability to click on the storage gauge on the dashboard and drill down into detail. Shouldn't that be available on every gauge?
  • The ability to schedule exports, restarts, etc from the management interface would be useful.
Scale is obviously well-suited for SMB / SME environments. Larger environments will likely find a reduced need for dedicated storage admins or VM specialists in-house. Environments that rely on SDN or very complex VLANs may find Scale's networking to be somewhat limited.
We had a lot of interaction with Scale support when we were getting started. Since then, we have only had a few (mostly routine) support issues. Every time, no matter which tech we speak to, we always feel like we are Scale's most important customer. The help we receive is excellent and well-informed. We never get the sense that someone is guessing, and most of the time we receive additional help or insight that increases our knowledge of, and appreciation for, the product. The people at Scale love their product.
Our environment is 100% virtualized and entirely on Scale Computing. This includes Main file servers; Active Directory domain controllers, SQL servers; speech processing systems; print servers; security management servers; e-discovery hosts; RDS server farms; legal application servers. Our experience is that, no matter what we ask Scale to do, it does it very well. We P2V moved our primary file server on to the Scale cluster with zero issues.
Everything you need to do is point-and-click easy. If you are the kind of admin who wants to edit every config file and endlessly customize your environment, then Scale may not be for you. On the other hand, if you just want it to work really well, and do what they told you it will do, then Scale is the ideal system.
Chris Nixon | TrustRadius Reviewer
The primary use case for the Scale Computing HC3 platform was for delivery of VDIs for a specific organisational design activity across two disparate companies. There was little integration at that point and the 2 large organisations had legacy environments that it was/still is hard to integrate (because of scale/cost).

The business team re-organisations were large scale and had been under NDA so minimal preparation could be undertaken. The project had already set a budget in advance.

Therefore we needed a quick to deliver, cost effective way of providing the environments, with DR, within each organisation, for use by employees from the other organisation.

To this end we deployed 16 x Lenovo based Scale HC3 appliances, 4 to each of 4 data centres with each pair of data centres belonging to the individual companies. In this way, we hit the timescales, hit the budget and provided a robust solution hosting, in total, circa 1200 VDIs complete with a replicated DR instance
  • As an appliance, it comes ready built and with all licenses included. No VMWare, no vCentre, no fiddly build steps
  • On site resilience is built in to the cluster - and it works; as does cross site replication for BCP/DR
  • Remote support and the pre tested upgrade facility are good and work - our outsourcers hate it as it doesn't need much outside a service desk call to have some Scale
  • Cross site VM migration is a feature on the roadmap we are looking forward to
  • When dealing with hundreds of VMs all needing the same change e.g. replication settings, being able to select those as a group or set would have been a good timesaver
  • Accessibility to external monitoring could be simpler - it takes a support call to turn it on. Whilst it is understandable that end users are kept away from the configs that make it work, some elements such as simple SNMP names and trap settings could be menu driven.
Cross site VDI or other windows/Linux server deployments
They have always been responsive and helpful when needed. Luckily, the resilience inherent in the system means it has not been necessary to overcome timezone issues.
End user compute for key business processes is what we use the platform for, not critical applications themselves.
The product is extremely easy to deploy and, as an example, I was able, during COVID lockdown, to have a new 4 node cluster deployed remotely, using Colo engineers to physically install and cable to my specifications. Once the out of band management was configured I was able to enter the very few node and cluster personalisation attributes to each node and the service was up and running.

Once the basics are known, using and managing the system is also as straight forward even through we are talking about a hyperconverged compute cluster with good performance and resilience built in.