https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/lK/gH/FOEFG20KWALI.JPEGScale out performsWe have moved most of our physical servers to Scale over the last few years and have added another cluster to our system for high availability. We have radius servers, domain controllers, DHCP servers, Exchange and SQL to name a few that are currently running on Scale. This cluster will be at another location as part of our DR as well. Ease of use and not having to worry about licensing is a huge plus not to mention their support is the best I have found. We serve over 8000 users each day on our network and Scale is a huge part of that.,Their support is amazing should you need. Although it has been very reliable. Ease of use. Performance Scale-ability,For most shops their dashboard gives plenty of information; however, some of the more technical users may want a little more information. With that said it is improving.,10,10,We ran a 1000 user mailbox Exchange server for 3 years on Scale and the performance was excellent. We are running about 40 different servers and they all perform very well.,ROI is huge given the lack of licensing costs and ease of use,VMware ESXiSimply Amazing, the Node Cluster that can't be beat!We use the Scale Computing HC3 across our whole organization to supply our Staff and customers with our software application. This infrastructure solves the issue we had with stability and redundancy when using servers in the past. Since purchasing and upgrading to this node cluster, we have never been happier or more confident in our solution to support our staff and clients.,Hardware redundancy. Although I haven't had a need to use it yet, I know that all main failure points of any hardware has a redundant secondary to pick up in any failures. Easy upgrade; to update the Hyper visor or installing a new node is simple and easy to do. The configuration is a simple step by step process that even a non Techy person can follow. Automatic Snapshots; with the latest update for automatic Snapshots & Backups, I can control what backup schedule I want and mange my snap shots with ease VM Creation. I am constantly creating new Virtual machines for my programmers. With the easy to use tools provided by Scale, I can have a new VM up and running in seconds.,Automatic Exports. Although they have the ability to create scheduled snap shots, I am waiting on the tool to allow us to automatically create exporting schedules to a 3rd party NAS Historical Reports, the Hypervisor allows us to see real-time reports of our cluster, but it would be nice to have detailed historical reports of this data to look for patterns in our software resources,10,10,Currently I have run the following applications critical to my business: Exchange 2013 & 2016, Active Directory 2008 & 2016, Sage CRM, Sage Accounting, LDAPs, Custom Applications, Sharepoint and many more. All applications I've installed have worked flawlessly on the Scale Computer HC3. Thanks to the assistance of their Support, I was even able to receive assistance in some of the install when I had questions about different drivers.,We have ended up saving money due to less hardware purchases from the capacity given to us during the initial purchase of Scale Computing. We went from 6 servers and 2 NAS down to a 4 Node Cluster with a single NAS for off site replication. This has dropped our Power capacity by 1/4 saving us costs with our Data Center We are able to mange the Cluster from a single portal. This has cut our management time in half and allowed us to work on other items and less worrying about our Node Cluster.,,3,1,All of my use cases are the same, Our entire network expect external backups reside on the Scale Computing HC3 cluster. Our web application is 24/7 to clients. If it goes down at any point; I can guarantee I will be getting a call from a client in seconds. With the Scale Computing HC3 cluster, we have had 0 down time due to Hardware or internal infrastructure,At this moment the only unexpected item we do with this Node Cluster is the automatic Exports to a NAS based off of using the Tag line. This is not currently a feature on the Scale Computing HC3, so their support team was able to assist me in creating what I was looking for.,Right now in my internal office (My Node cluster is at a Data Center), I have a WD NAS for a shared device between all of my staff members. I am looking at creating an FTP on the Node Cluster to be able to remove 1 more device from my infrastructure. Currently I also configure computers every time we need a new one for additional hires. I am looking into different versions of Thin Clients and would like to see if this is something I can set up on the Scale Computing HC3 to give me easier management of computers.,10,Microsoft Exchange, Sage 50 Accounting, Pivotal Tracker, Microsoft Visual Studio Team System, Team Foundation Server,Creating a Virtual Machine. Simply fill out the size and specs for what you want and click Create. It is as simple as that Media Management. Simply upload what you need and it is ready to use Snapshots. Creating a schedule is simple to do. After that, simply edit your VM and select which schedule you want it to back up on.,Historical usage reports unfortunately do not exist yet. This would be a nice to have in the future. Feature for automatic Exporting does not exist yet,10Scale Computing HC3 ReviewScale Computing HC3 is being used across the organization to host several virtual server instances. It helps address our need for multiple, specialized, virtual servers, including redundant domain controllers, file servers, document management and enterprise resource planning servers. The separation of these server roles allows for finer control of potential downtime and reduces end-user impact.,Virtual machine snapshots are an absolute breeze to create, store and recover if needed. The interface is incredibly intuitive and easy to use. Remote virtual machine management can be completed completely through a web interface rather than Remote Desktop Services, reducing our vulnerability footprint.,The amount of RAM you specify when ordering the system is not completely available for virtual machines. You need to calculate the ability for VMs to fail over to remaining nodes in the event a single node fails. Integration with backup product vendors is severely lacking, causing difficulty in backing up full snapshots off site. The interface login is a simple username and password. It would be nice to integrate two-factor authentication to increase security.,10,9,I have run Active Directory, DNS, DHCP and DFS on multiple servers with complete fail over. Additionally, I am running enterprise resource management, document management, a web server and auditing/monitoring on separate server instances all on the same Scale cluster. Overall the system is running flawlessly. Additionally, I have the peace of mind that the hardware is fault tolerant as well, providing instant fail over protection in the event a node goes down.,When considering providing the ability to provide redundancy and fail over protection, nothing comes close to Scale for overall price. As a comparison, we considered getting two physical servers as opposed to this Scale system. We found that, in order to provide the computing power needed, each server would be in the area of $15k each, before operating systems. Additionally, each server would need to handle multiple services and applications that can cause problems when run on the same machine. We have immediately felt the positive impact this system has provided as we lost the outgoing server sooner than anticipated. I was able to immediately regain control of the domain, finalize the move and retire the old system with little impact to the end-user.,HPE Synergy, Dell EMC Unity and NutanixTime to Replace VMware ESXi and Microsoft Hyper-V with Scale HC3Scale Computing HC3 is being used across the whole organization with a cluster at the corporate office configured for full two-way replication with another cluster at a branch office. This provides complete disaster recovery capability for both sites. Performance of both clusters is outstanding. Operational maintenance is almost non-existent. Setting up replication required only providing the name and administrator credentials for the remote cluster -- amazingly simple and automatic.,Firmware updates are a non-event. They are released about twice a year and when you are ready to apply the update, you just click the button to authorize it. Then it just happens automatically, rolling from one server to the next with no down time. Of course you should verify that you have a full set of backups first and probably will want to do this during a "quieter" time but you could do it in the middle of a work day with only minor performance impact. Any agent-based VM backup, like Veeam Backup & Replication, works fine. I like that the failure of a disk drive is not a critical-level event. The cluster raises an alarm, automatically ensures that all data is re-duplicated, and a replacement disk is sent to you the next day for hot-swap. During the disk failure event all you have is just a little less disk storage available. The HEAT system which automatically migrates active data between fast SSD disks and the usual spinning kind as required to meet your performance priorities, is completely hands off. The recent addition of automatic disk data deduplication means better performance and less disk space usage. Taking snapshots is almost instant and does not "cost" additional disk space. Growth is amazingly simple and easy to do -- just rack another node, add it to the cluster then walk away -- in short time it's a fully functioning member of the cluster sharing the load. HC3 Cloud Unity with Google Cloud Platform is an unmatched hybrid cloud solution. Usually hybrid Clouds require lots of very sophisticated networking to tie the local network to the cloud network -- Unity does all of this automatically and transparently -- the Cloud instance looks like it's on your local LAN. A single Scale HC3 web interface can manage your local and remote on-prem instances together with your cloud instance.,Scheduling of snapshots is fairly flexible but a little restricted when combined with Replication. Looking forward to the next major firmware release where this is scheduled to be improved. There is a single-node server available for remote offices but it would be nice to have a two-node version for those small offices to be able to avoid all down time (for updates).,10,10,If your company provides services or support on a 24x7 basis you just can't ever be down. Exchange email, SQL Server databases, web servers, ERP App Servers, File & RDSH servers -- nothing can go down because you need it all of the time. There's no time for down time to do maintenance or increase capacity. Scale HC3 gives you all of that. Also, who wants to spend so much time keeping all of that virtualization infrastructure updated -- Scale HC3 remove 90-95% of the maintenance work required to keep a VMware or Hyper-V Cluster with shared storage secure and updated.,A pending iSCSI Storage array hardware refresh cycle and VMware maintenance update can provide enough funds to replace all of that with a new Scale HC3 Cluster that also drastically reduces on-going support and maintenance costs. The ROI is under one year. Your IT staffing costs will decrease as will your outside IT support costs for running virtualized clusters with shared storage. Most businesses never actually get around to deploying multi-site replication because it's too expensive and far too hard to do and maintain. Scale HC3 makes all that easy and automatic.,VMware ESXi, Hyper-V and Virtuoso Universal ServerNet AdminWe're converting our XenServer Virtual Infrastructure over to HC3 Scale. It's faster, easier to use and takes up less space. Setting up SCALE was easy. We rack mounted it, set it up in about 20 minutes. Since purchasing our first 3 servers, we recently just cut a PO to expand to 8. Overall, it's a great product.,Its simplicity is a load off my shoulders. There are not hours of forums I have to sift through. No more licensing problems. Remote support is a super easy.,I would like to see more information about my VMs Historical Data would be nice such as 30 day chart for CPU usage.,10,8,We run our XenApp environment on SCALE and found that the speed of our VM servers has increased over XenServer 6.5. Utilizing HC3's DoubleTake Move software, we were able to migrate our VM's with just a few clicks. We also have a Domain Controller running on our SCALE Environment and login duration's have decreased dramatically.,Troubleshooting times have decreased. Support issues have decreased due to only have to call one vendor. Availability of our VM's has increased Space in our server room as increase and temperatures have decreased which is really important to us.,
Windows, Linux, Unix
Scale Computing HC3

Scale Computing HC3 Reviews

Scale Computing HC3
Filter 153 vetted Scale Computing HC3 reviews and ratings
April 04, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale out performs"

• Their support is amazing should you need. Although it has been very reliable.
  • Ease of use.
  • Performance
  • Scale-ability
  • For most shops their dashboard gives plenty of information; however, some of the more technical users may want a little more information. With that said it is improving.
It is perfect in a school setting because of the flexibility, ability to add more nodes on the fly and ease of use. They have great support available 24/7 which is extremely helpful since a lot of our work is done during non normal business hours.

I could see it being very useful in a medium business as well.
Read Patrick Taylor's full review
January 23, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Simply Amazing, the Node Cluster that can't be beat!"

• Hardware redundancy. Although I haven't had a need to use it yet, I know that all main failure points of any hardware has a redundant secondary to pick up in any failures.
  • Easy upgrade; to update the Hyper visor or installing a new node is simple and easy to do. The configuration is a simple step by step process that even a non Techy person can follow.
  • Automatic Snapshots; with the latest update for automatic Snapshots & Backups, I can control what backup schedule I want and mange my snap shots with ease
  • VM Creation. I am constantly creating new Virtual machines for my programmers. With the easy to use tools provided by Scale, I can have a new VM up and running in seconds.
  • Automatic Exports. Although they have the ability to create scheduled snap shots, I am waiting on the tool to allow us to automatically create exporting schedules to a 3rd party NAS
  • Historical Reports, the Hypervisor allows us to see real-time reports of our cluster, but it would be nice to have detailed historical reports of this data to look for patterns in our software resources
I cannot really foresee where Scale Computing HC3 is less appropriate. They have different packages for clusters that works for small to large size businesses. We resell our software to other vendors to supply to their clients and we will only support the Scale Computing HC3 cluster to install our application due to its capabilities, easy to use and amazing support from their help desk. We started off as a small to medium size business when I was introduced to Scale. From there we have been slowly increasing in our business size. Scale follows along beside us and is able to assist in our expansion at a moment's notice.
Read Brian Dunk's full review
January 23, 2018

"Scale Computing HC3 Review"

• Virtual machine snapshots are an absolute breeze to create, store and recover if needed.
  • The interface is incredibly intuitive and easy to use.
  • Remote virtual machine management can be completed completely through a web interface rather than Remote Desktop Services, reducing our vulnerability footprint.
  • The amount of RAM you specify when ordering the system is not completely available for virtual machines. You need to calculate the ability for VMs to fail over to remaining nodes in the event a single node fails.
  • Integration with backup product vendors is severely lacking, causing difficulty in backing up full snapshots off site.
  • The interface login is a simple username and password. It would be nice to integrate two-factor authentication to increase security.
Scale Computing HC3 is very well suited to the medium business running multiple, complex business applications needing separation of server instances. Additionally, the ability to create seamless fail over and redundancy make Scale Computing HC3 an ideal choice for business continuity.

Scale Computing HC3's price point makes it a difficult sell to smaller business who may have a need, but not the capital to invest at this level.
Read Travis Smith's full review
January 19, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Time to Replace VMware ESXi and Microsoft Hyper-V with Scale HC3"

• Firmware updates are a non-event. They are released about twice a year and when you are ready to apply the update, you just click the button to authorize it. Then it just happens automatically, rolling from one server to the next with no down time. Of course you should verify that you have a full set of backups first and probably will want to do this during a "quieter" time but you could do it in the middle of a work day with only minor performance impact.
  • Any agent-based VM backup, like Veeam Backup & Replication, works fine.
  • I like that the failure of a disk drive is not a critical-level event. The cluster raises an alarm, automatically ensures that all data is re-duplicated, and a replacement disk is sent to you the next day for hot-swap. During the disk failure event all you have is just a little less disk storage available.
  • The HEAT system which automatically migrates active data between fast SSD disks and the usual spinning kind as required to meet your performance priorities, is completely hands off.
  • The recent addition of automatic disk data deduplication means better performance and less disk space usage.
  • Taking snapshots is almost instant and does not "cost" additional disk space.
  • Growth is amazingly simple and easy to do -- just rack another node, add it to the cluster then walk away -- in short time it's a fully functioning member of the cluster sharing the load.
  • HC3 Cloud Unity with Google Cloud Platform is an unmatched hybrid cloud solution. Usually hybrid Clouds require lots of very sophisticated networking to tie the local network to the cloud network -- Unity does all of this automatically and transparently -- the Cloud instance looks like it's on your local LAN. A single Scale HC3 web interface can manage your local and remote on-prem instances together with your cloud instance.
  • Scheduling of snapshots is fairly flexible but a little restricted when combined with Replication. Looking forward to the next major firmware release where this is scheduled to be improved.
  • There is a single-node server available for remote offices but it would be nice to have a two-node version for those small offices to be able to avoid all down time (for updates).
The entry level configuration for a completely redundant cluster is 3 small nodes for about $35,000. Currently the maximum size is 8 much larger capacity nodes, but there is a plan to increase that. Replication between clusters couldn't be any easier or automatic. The Scale HC3 architecture makes this platform an excellent candidate to exploit the tremendous I/O performance available with NVMe.
Read Gerry Wisnoski's full review
January 17, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Net Admin"

• Its simplicity is a load off my shoulders. There are not hours of forums I have to sift through.
  • No more licensing problems.
  • Remote support is a super easy.
  • I would like to see more information about my VMs
  • Historical Data would be nice such as 30 day chart for CPU usage.
We have migrated our Citrix Xen-App services off from Xen-Server and VMWare and moved them onto our new HC3 SCALE cluster and it has suited us very well.
Read Jason Weatherby's full review
February 05, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Three year review of Scale's HC3"

The HC3 was implemented by a client as a company-wide infrastructure replacement for both physical systems as well as an existing VMware cluster. It replaced 7 physical servers that were quite old, and the two node VMware cluster had one host that was past it's prime. VMware needed to be upgraded, and after looking at the hardware and software costs, the HC3 was a simple decision.
  • Ease of Use - the interface is simple, clean, and intuitive enough that if you have ever used any virtualization platform you really don't need any training to get going.
  • Ease of Implementation - Once the hardware is mounted, a configuration was performed remotely by scale. They assisted in switch setup by providing requirements, and the cluster itself was done by a technician on the phone with you. It was really running a few commands to initialize the cluster and after that, anything that came up they took care of.
  • We had a node failure, and nobody knew. The system kept chugging along without interruption (that anyone could tell). After one phone call, we had the replacement the next day. The cluster was reinitialized and everything worked without having to schedule any downtime.
  • System updates are essentially a click of a button. Everything then is handled behind the scenes. I had one update timeout, and a quick call Later (on a Saturday no less), it was deduced that it was a timeout issue. After adjusting the timeout, the update ran fine.
  • The trade off for many of the complexities of management are taken care of behind the scenes, is that you are limited on many of the configuration options one is used to in other virtualization platforms. That is not to say it is by any means simplistic or inflexible and if you are looking for a system that does not require weeks of training and experience to manage, this is it.
  • With the simplicity of the interface, troubleshooting some issues like email notifications can become difficult.
  • If you have a small infrastructure that is moving into a hybrid cloud environment, it can be a bit cost prohibitive.
It's great if you need an infrastructure in a box. With the added benefits of being able to scale up and provide replication across multiple locations, it really does do much of what may be needed. It is particularly well suited for simpler environments where you may not need all of the virtual networking, and complex storage options in VMware.
We've run everything from Domain Controllers, to file services to ERP systems without any issues. The fact that the cluster holds up well during a node failure has really helped, especially mission critical software such as Syspro. Reboot times are very fast on virtual systems, so even if there is a software based issue, rebooting is not the inconvenience that it used to be.
Read Mikolay Bujak's full review
February 02, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "I love our Scale"

[It's being used] To host most corporate servers including AD, file, print, CCTV and app servers.
  • Ease of use
  • Superb value compared to traditional competitors
  • The time between order and delivery seems slow.
If you need to consolidate 4 or more servers, I don't know of a better way to do it currently. We currently have 10 VMs and I would dread doing it the old-fashioned way now. VMWare and its ilk seem clunky and overbearing in comparison now.
We currently host:
- Active Directory
- File Servers
- Print Servers
- Security Camera system & storage
- Stadium concession systems (critical game-day system)
- Stadium 50-50 system (critical game-day system). Our 50-50's are a huge deal in this part of the world.
Read Darren Woolston's full review
February 02, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale HC3 3 Node first time purchaser review"

We use our Scale 3 node cluster to run our 5 virtual machines that service our 4 locations. Functions include application servers, web servers and test machines that are used by all departments. The HC3 cluster gives us an easy method to backup an entire machine and is a first step in building a secondary site in which we can replicate our scale data to.
  • Scale platform updates - the scale cluster runs on its own software and can be updated in real time without causing any downtime for production virtual machines.
  • Node capacity visibility - the software provides an easy window into how much storage and RAM capacity is available on each node and simplifies being able to see how much room there is for growth for new virtual machines.
  • Snapshotting - the scheduling of snapshots works extremely well and is an easy set and forget method for backups on a daily basis.
  • While Scale handles storage and RAM utilization very well, CPU usage is somewhat hard to configure - you can configure how many CPU cores a VM gets but it's not overly simple to boost an individual VM's CPU performance.
  • The custom software that runs on the scale cluster is simple but doesn't necessarily support all backup products out there - or maybe the other backup products don't support them yet - VEEAM for example, backing up a VM outside the hypervisor isn't supported.
  • I would like to see the software made available so we can add it to other physical servers we have available - for example, say we have an old VM Ware server and we want to convert it to a Scale node - having the ability to install the software on our hardware would be a huge plus.
Scale is very well suited for small to medium businesses with workloads that are not necessarily overly storage critical - meaning small SQL and Exchange deployments can be handled fairly easily. Taking out the need to have a separate storage device added to existing physical servers running the Hypervisor simplifies the overall scope of a project
We are running a web server with an MS SQL database on the back end. The software specification made it sound like it was pretty hardware intensive and that a robust storage and physical machine environment would be required to run on an acceptable level. We took an educated chance on Scale and it has been running our applications with ease since day one with an increase in performance from our old physical server-based application.
Read Ray Vopat's full review
February 02, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "HC3 how to make your life easier."

We are using the HC3 to run several of our virtual servers. Two of the servers are our domain controllers. We are in the process of migrating more of our VMs over from VMware. The use of Scale has freed up resources that we had budgeted for VMware.
  • Very easy to install and migrate existing VMs over from VMware.
  • Support is seamless and remote help is a click away.
  • Support is US based and never a problem getting in touch with a technician on the first try.
  • The only thing that was missing when we purchased the unit was remote replication. They have addressed this with a cloud offering.
If you are looking to save money on your virtual environment then Scale will help you accomplish this. We have not had one issue in two years of running the system.
We have several of our domain controllers running on the HC3 and the migration was seamless. We are ready to move other mission-critical systems over to our HC3 cluster.
Read john Galotta's full review
January 30, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Honest review of Scale Computing's HC3x"

Scale Computing's HC3x has allowed us to virtualise 100% of our company's server infrastructure. We've used the technology for the last 5 years and it has been as solid as a rock. The biggest benefit is its simplicity because we are a small IT department and don't have the time to maintain a more complicated solution such as VMWare or Hyper-V.
  • The simplicity of the technology is its biggest strength.
  • There aren't different licensing levels and so all features are available in the standard licensing costs.
  • Their support team is second to none. Everyone I've spoken to is extremely knowledgeable about their product.
  • The only drawback is that if you need extra storage, your only option is to purchase another node. On other platforms, you could just install extra storage space.
Scale Computing for us has been a life-saver. Spinning up new virtual machines takes seconds with minimal configuration required. I suppose the only scenario that Scale Computing HC3 wouldn't be suitable is if you need USB/com pass-through as they can't [be] presented to the virtual machines.
We run four SQL servers hosting our business systems, terminal servers, domain controllers, deployment servers and file & print servers.

Spinning up new servers is incredibly simple and can be started within seconds.
Read Adam Hassall's full review
January 29, 2018

"Scale Computing HC3 - Review"

Scale Computing HC3 has been implemented as a replacement for the client's old VMware environment. The client wanted a more substantial and reliable virtual platform for their business. They have multiple remote sites and remote uses, in which they wanted to provide a seamless user environment to all users. They have 6 virtual servers and 16 virtual desktops. The HC3 platform has fulfilled the client's current needs and should carry them well into the future.
  • Relaibility
  • Rapid systems deployment
  • Excellent fault tolerance, backup, and recovery
  • Easy overall management
  • Snapshot management has room for improvements, more recovery options, export options, etc.
  • Image import/export could encompass more virtual image types.
Any business with greater than average amount of servers or remote desktops would be an excellent opportunity for deployment of the Scale Computing HC3. Small businesses with one or 2 servers, in my opinion, would not enjoy the benefits that the Scale platform affords.
Read Robert Leno Jr's full review
January 29, 2018

Review: "Scale Computing HC3 - Give it a look before going with the "usual suspects""

We use HC3 to virtualize ALL server assets. High performance, delegatable interface.
  • Super easy to use, easy to delegate to technicians
  • Much lower cost than most competing products
  • Excellent support
  • Could use better integration with UPS's. Currently UPS shutdown has to be handled by a separate windows system
  • Sometimes, migrating other vendor's VM appliances can be a bit "fiddly"
Small to mid-sized organizations looking for higher performance, and the advantages of virtualization with little of the added administrative pain and cost.
The system makes it very easy to allocate additional resources (RAM, CPU cores, Disk space) as needed, and simply.

We run our DNS and LDAP servers, on HC3, and found the the VM was under-supplied with disk space. Very simple to add more storage.
Read Jefferson Davis's full review
January 29, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale Review"

We use Scale to house all our Windows servers, roughly 25 total. The reliability has been tremendous. Only real problem we have had is resizing hard disks in our VMs.
  • High availability. We have had no unplanned downtime.
  • Technical support is amazing. Very responsive.
  • Easy to expand and grow.
  • Can only use static memory
  • Too cumbersome to expand hard drive in VMs
  • Too hard to manage snapshots and storage
Perfect for small business that needs high availability, but cannot afford traditional clustering technologies.
We run our terminal server which all company users use to access our accounting system and our ERP.
Read Jamie Yennie's full review
January 23, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale Review"

We use it across the whole company. It is our virtual host for all of our servers. It also helps us manage such a large group of servers (12), and there are only two of us in the I.T. department. Management of this solutions is very easy and intuitive. We also have two cluster at a different location as our DR site.
  • Management. It is very easy to manage your environment through one pane of glass. You know the health of your hardware by just looking at the main page.
  • Support. Their support is all based here in the U.S. They are very timely to get to you, and they keep you informed throughout your issue.
  • Price. They are very well priced for what you get.
  • Compatibility. Some manufactures don't have products that will run on the KVM kernel.
Scale Computing HC3 is great for small to medium businesses and I.T. departments. They have a great pane of glass to tell what is going on in the environment. They also scale out very easily. I would also have to say they have some of the best support around.

The only thing I could think that would not be the best scenario for Scale Computing HC3 is in extremely large companies.
We run our Exchange Servers, HVAC, ShoreTel, File Servers, Scanning Servers, Domain Controllers, and I would run anything else on this hardware.
Read Greg Starnes's full review
January 22, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Fantastic first experience with virtualization!"

HC3 is used to consolidate some of our services and reduce our server footprint. It was the perfect replacement for our aging Citrix farm (and other applications) and has reduced our cooling, rack, and power requirements as well as unused resources (CPU, memory, storage). Also, the DR cluster gives us some peace of mind and a faster recovery.
  • Reduced licensing costs
  • Single pane of glass
  • Consolidation of storage, virtualization and management
  • None yet!
Organisations with limited IT resources/budgets.
We are currently hosting multiple applications including Domain controllers, Quickbooks, Helpdesk, Remote Desktop Servers, and Electronic Medical Records. The critical data is automatically replicated to a second cluster for disaster recovery. Our experience has been great with no issues with any of the Windows VM's running in Scale.
Read Hiten Patel's full review
January 19, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale helped consolidate our network needs into one solution"

We are using Scale HC3 as a 3 in 1 solution. We use the Scale virtualization software for our servers, including a VDI server. We utilize a 16TB SAN for all of our Virtual servers, user files, etc. Finally, we use a 2nd Scale cluster at our 2nd location as a Disaster Recovery solution between sites.
  • Disaster Recovery using snapshots. Easy clones and restores.
  • Virtualization of servers is seamless and very intuitive.
  • San is provisioned internally by HC3 eliminating dead and wasted space.
  • Control panel is intuitive and easy to use
  • Would like to see ability to expand partitions without Scale Support.
  • Would like to be able to have restores to folder or file level
Scale works well for my company of 150 users. The scalability of the cluster in terms of memory and hard drive space means we are able to upgrade as needed without changing out the entire system or vendor.

Space wise, the Scale footprint is relatively small compared to the space that would be required if we used 3 different solutions for our SAN, DR and virtualization needs.
We are running our VDI for desktops on the Scale servers and expansion is relatively easy with the current solution.
Read Scott Poole's full review
January 16, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Good for simple deployments."

It is being used across an entire physical location, around 100 people. It hosts the core virtual machine infrastructure, which is 100% Windows.
  • Simple
  • Good Support
  • V2V is a complete nightmare. We ended up just giving up. This is half the reason we don't recommend Scale any longer.
  • Backups are a pain. VEEAM spoils you. With Scale you have to manage each endpoint at its layer. Frustrating, and the other half of the reason we don't recommend Scale.
Great for environment with simple needs and light-touch IT staff. It really is very simple and does what it does quite well.
Active Directory and other critical systems. Unfortunately, the greater cost of the Scale setup is only compounded by the extra time you spend managing backups.
Read Jean-Paul Jordan's full review
January 25, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale Rules"

It is used in our department for a variety of services. We have created different data storages and even created VM machines.
  • Their service technicians are very professional. They assisted us with issues that we have encountered with our Scale product.
  • At the present time, I do not see any missing functionalities with this product.
I am not sure if I would use Scale to create VM machines, because I know we could always use more space to store our data.
We do not run any business critical applications on the HC3.
Read Gerry Charriere's full review
January 30, 2018

Review: "Scale Computing HC3 - You won't Be Sorry"

Our servers, physical and VMware VMs, have all been migrated to Scale HC3. Our engineering, assembly and machining departments depend on our Scale system for access to their 3D data. Our self-developed ERP system and in-house Wiki both exist in our Scale environment as well. Additionally, our software and training departments request VMs to be created to aid in development and testing of our applications.
  • Scale provides a solid worry free VM environment for any SMB. We were looking to upgrade our VMware environment and found it quite daunting trying to piece together all the components necessary for a vm environment as well as the inevitable support contracts that would be scattered across different vendors. Scale combines everything you need into one turnkey solution. One appliance, one vendor, one support contract.
  • Companies with a limited IT staff or who would rather free their staff from the administration concerns of a typical vm environment will benefit greatly from a Scale HC3. It truly is plug and play. Even the system updates are automated, moving vms around the nodes in realtime while each node updates with no disruption to the VMs.
  • Built in High Availability, built in Load Balancing. Storage, Servers, VM os.. it's all self contained.
  • Working with the VMs (creating, deleting, cloning) is easier on an HC3 than on anything else I have seen.
  • I would like to have some access to the host system itself but I can see why it is locked away from the user. One of the main selling points of the system is it's hands free reliability. End users mucking things up would work against that.
  • I would like to see a bit more robust back up system to have a truly 100% self sustained VM environment. The system allows you to create snapshots very easily, both manual and scheduled. But it would be nice to be able to set up a backup/restore with deduplication to external locations.
We switched to Scale from a VMware environment and we couldn't be happier. Servers, Storage and Host OS are all combined into one self-contained system. If you are looking for a hands-off completely worry free VM environment I highly recommend Scale Computing. If you like to tinker and tweak your VM environment though you might not be happy with this because outside of the VMs themselves the system is 100% hands-off. You can create, remove, and clone VMs. You can configure their virtual hardware (number of nics, number and size of drives, etc.) You can import and export VMs as well as create snapshots manually or scheduled.

As far as the host system though, it just works. High availability is built in. Load balancing is built in. You can manually move VMs around if you wish but there is no need to. System updates are completely painless. You click to apply the update and the HC3 moves the VMs around to apply the updates to each node one at a time with no downtime or interruptions to the guest VMs. If a node does go down (which has not happened to us yet) you just replace the node and you're done.
Our engineering data needs to be available to our machinists, cnc programmers, and assemblers as well as our engineers. We run Autodesk Vault on a Windows Server vm on our HC3 and we have no issues with access to the data.
We also run a complete ERP system of our own design and development. This system handles everything from employee clock in/out to inventory to scheduling, to accounting, to HR. It is the lifeblood of our company and it runs on a dedicated vm in our HC3 system. An internet facing version of this ERP system also running in our HC3 is being set up for demo'ing to potential customers.
We also run various other systems unique to different departments (an inhouse wiki, JIRA issue tracking, customer support, software R&D)
February 01, 2018

Scale Computing HC3: "Scale Computing review"

Scale Computing is hosting all our company virtual servers. It was deployed to replace the old VMware setup we had using separate ESX hosts, switches and SAN.
  • Because the Scale Computing is a converge storage, it's much more cost-effective to support and maintain vs. out old ESX cluster setup.
  • Installing updates is easier to do vs. a system that setup using separate ESX hosts, switches, and SAN because we just have to deal with one appliance.
  • The support service has been good so far. Every time we had an issue or question we will get someone on the phone in a few min and they are knowledgeable about the product.
  • One of the biggest drawbacks of the current Scale solution is its limitation when it comes to VM management. For example, options that are available in VMware for years like the ability to expend a virtual drive live does not exist.
  • The Scale management portal is nice and very easy to use because it's very simple, but it's limited in how much information it provides.
  • Because the hypervisor OS is a custom software, it does not allow for more advanced management. any changes or issues that need to troubleshoot requires opening a ticket with support.
If your virtualization needs are basic and you don't need any advanced features I think that the performance/cost is a good proposition. It's also fairly easy to add another node to the cluster to increase your resources.
We run our primary file server, SQL server, and accounting software on the Scale. The requirements are basic and the performance is as expected for the model we use.
January 30, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale HC3 is the way to go."

HC3 hosts the core servers for our entire network.
  • Firmware updates are dead simple
  • Tech support is easy, fast and thorough
  • Building Servers only takes minutes
  • Server performance when logged in seems sluggish.
  • Even though we got discounted pricing it may not be the cheapest solution but the benefits definitely are worth it.
  • They say that parts will arrive next day but in our remote locations they (like other vendors) don't seem to realize that there is no such thing as "next day" delivery.
Scale HC3 is great in so many situations. If you want a small physical footprint but have the ability to spin up dozens of servers in minutes then it is fabulous. They also have an offsite replication package. You have 2 sets of nodes in different sites and the main site replicates to the offsite backup. If something catastrophic happens to the main site you just point everything to the offsite locations and nothing is lost because the offsite is an exact replica. Almost no downtime and no data loss.
SQL, Exchange, Active Directory. I haven't found anything that doesn't really work yet.
January 26, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "True Hyperconvergence with Support that will WOW you!"

Scale Computing HC3's hyper-converged platform is the heart and soul of our on-premise infrastructure. With it we are able to run numerous virtual servers on a small cluster of hardware and manage it all from a single pane of glass.
  • The HC3 platform is very stable. In 4 years our Scale Computing HC3 cluster has never gone down.
  • The HC3 management console is straightforward and extremely easy to use. Plus, network, server, and storage resources are all managed from that single pane of glass.
  • Scale Computing's support is, hands down, the best I have ever experienced in 18 years in IT. They are proactive, responsive, and very thorough. They go above and beyond every time.
  • While it is not extremely important to me, their VDI integration solutions are lacking. However I know from conversations with them that they are working on it.
  • Advanced management of virtual networking inside the solution is not as robust as other solutions.
Scale Computing HC3 would be a great solution for small/medium-sized organizations that have typical to moderately advanced computing needs. On the other hand, organizations which are extremely large and/or have highly advanced networking/system needs would likely not be able to achieve their goals with Scale Computing HC3 alone.
We have run all of the following systems on HC3:

• Universe Database
  • Document Imaging
  • IIS
  • Apache

All of these systems have run as well, or better than on our former VMware platform.
January 26, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale HC3 is the Best"

We have utilized Scale Computing HC3 to virtualize our entire server environment for our whole organization. This solved the issues of hardware related failures since the Scale Computing HC3 is in a cluster. It also solved the issue of us needing to update our hardware and provided us with a single pain of glass to view everything on it at once.
  • Speed - Scale has increased our server performance drastically.
  • Ease of use - The system is so easy to use and set up!
  • Support - The scale support team is awesome and really knows their product.
  • PRICE - You can't touch their price elsewhere for the performance that you receive.
  • Make it easier to migrate from other hypervisors to scale without having to buy third-party software.
Scale Computing is well suited for anyone who is looking to create a virtualized server environment that values price, performance, and reliability. The footprint of the hardware makes it so that it can be placed in even the smallest of racks and give you the performance and scalability of the larger companies at a fraction of the price.
Our entire company runs off of scale computing, I can easily scale out our company by cloning servers and having the new ones up and running within minutes. I can also add more hosts in a matter of a phone call and a few screws and wire connections. It is a great product!!!
January 24, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale is worth a look!"

The Scale cluster manages the virtual machines which all employees utilize.
Currently only the IT team, which consists of 6 members, interacts with the Scale environment directly.
  • Simple VM management interface
  • Provides easy access to support streams
  • Immediate system performance and alerting
  • A granular user management system is required. The Scale interface lacks the ability to add user accounts with limited access to manage individual or groups of VMs. Remote access is an all or nothing security model.
  • VM export is missing. An ability to export a VM from a cluster for external backup or transfer to another cluster which is not linked is also not supported.
Scale is a user friendly VM cluster which offers redundancy across hardware devices which protects against a full system failure. This is well suited to environments with multiple servers.
We operate our custom manufacturing, shipping, accounting and customer ERP system as a VM within a cluster. We've not had performance or systems issues while running our critical software under this platform.

On another cluster we operate our internal web sites and system monitoring platform again without faults or performance loss. Increasing system resources - such as allocating additional RAM or drive storage is as simple as moving GUI sliders or allocating containers for new drives.
January 22, 2018

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "My Weigh In on Scale Computing"

We currently use Scale Computing HC3 as our central cluster for all of our VMs. It's mostly just our IT department that controls and uses it daily, while everyone around us benefits from the centralized product. We run web servers, point of sale, and network distributing virtual machines with our cluster. It provides a great and convenient interface that makes it easy for anyone of any networking background to manage and operate. It has been of great service towards our company in the past couple of years!
  • Scale Computing HC3 provides a very efficient GUI, that makes it easy for us to maneuver from VM to VM.
  • The displayed information of disk usage and RAM space helps us determine in what capacity we can use our cluster.
  • We have dealt with the cosmetic issue for our individual VMs, where the disk space is showing incorrect on the interface, in contrast to the actual disk space showing within the VM itself.
I believe that Scale Computer HC3 has been amazing for the structured environment it provides. Since it allows you to organize the VMs into groups, it makes it much easier to find exactly what you're looking for due to the purpose of the VM. Whenever you're looking for some specific information about disk space, RAM, or any other specs, the descriptive interface provides that quickly without having to dive into the computer and search for it.
We solely run our POS system on our Scale cluster. Ever since we switched to Scale and used the cluster for our central POS database, it has been nothing short of amazing. It gives easy access, we can connect anyone needing to connect to it with ease, and eliminates the use of an actual machine at the locations.

About Scale Computing HC3

Scale Computing’s HC3 virtualization platform is a complete ‘datacenter in a box’ with server, storage and virtualization integrated into a single appliance to deliver simplicity, availability, and scalability at a fraction of the cost.

According to the vendor, key features and benefits include:

• Install in less than an hour
  • Deploy new VMs in minutes
  • Built-in Browser-based Management
  • Software-defined, hybrid storage system with automated tiering
  • Fully integrated, cluster-wide resource utilization and alerts
  • Single vendor support experience, no disparate systems to integrate
  • Integrated all-in-one appliance
  • Scale-out Architecture
  • Mix and match new nodes
  • Incremental resources improve performance of existing workloads
  • Fast and easy to expand, no downtime required
  • No additional licensing required
  • Start small and grow as your business grows
  • No forklift upgrades