Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor
SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor (SAM) is being used by my organization's IT department to monitor and alert on all of our critical systems, including physical hardware, virtual servers and network gear. SAM allows us to not only get real time alerts if systems fall outside of normal thresholds but also allows for us to perform trend reporting and analysis so we can stay on top of our infrastructure needs and SLA goals.
- SAM is agentless which allows for seamless integration with newly added hardware.
- Ease of use when creating dashboards for a holistic view of your infrastructure.
- Real time alerting of critical system issues.
- Dashboard templates would be helpful instead of having to build from scratch.
- Licensing model is confusing at times.
- Deeper integration with other SolarWinds products such as Database Performance Analyzer.
- SolarWinds has allowed us to get a holistic view of all of our systems, which leads to improved troubleshooting of any performance related issues.
- Real time alerting has allowed us to be proactive in finding and resolving issues before it impacts our clients.
- SolarWinds allows us to see data trends which allows us to better estimate capacity needs.
We selected SolarWinds due to its ability to provide a holistic view of all of our infrastructure in the same place. We link SAM with Solar Wind's network monitor and database performance analyzer. This allows us to track and view performance implications of any change anywhere in our infrastructure. This allows for quite response time and improved SLA statistics.
I think SolarWinds is best suited for a larger IT group that can have dedicated personnel working on the implementation and maintenance of the system. Dashboards are a wonderful tool but can be time consuming to set up with your particular infrastructure. If you are short staffed then this can easily get left off and it's one of the best features.