My Opinion on SolarWinds SAM
Tim Kovars | TrustRadius Reviewer
Updated July 24, 2020

My Opinion on SolarWinds SAM

Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor

The IT department uses SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor to monitor our entire server environment, both physical and virtual. We are mainly a Windows shop and do additional monitoring of Active Directory, SQL, Citrix and custom apps or specific services we are looking to monitor. It keeps track of server up/downs, memory/CPU and application outages.
  • Server health, using insight through WMI for what Microsoft is seeing from within the box.
  • Monitoring services/apps through AppInsight and being able to add specific services not included or for other applications.
  • Sometimes and easy button would be nice to simplify the views and data collected.
  • Sales calls are persistent for anyone who has any involvement, which is just plain annoying.
Once you have it dialed in and have everything you want it is great to monitor the different pieces of our environment. It's easy to log in and see what systems are critical and what has alerts. We use it heavily to send out an e-mail when there is an issue. The thresholds are easily configured to add overhead if needed for storage or CPU/memory.
We don't have the full stack installed so we don't have full insight. None of our issues (luckily) have been the type that insight between SAM and network have helped resolve them.
  • Being able to see servers in a down state to resolve them before it is an issue/a major issue.
  • Not having an outage because a disk becomes full.
Single pain of glass (everyone loves that term) to see health on network and on servers. Easy place for both teams to see what is down or if there are active issues.
None, it was in-place when I got here.
I feel it shines in monitoring a mix of virtual and physical servers. There are other products that have issues with that physical piece, but SAM doesn't care which one it is. While a bear to maintain at times, the custom-ability is another place it does well. Being able to monitor things not included/out of the box is a key feature. The user community is strong and has a lot of useful input.

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Feature Ratings

Application monitoring
Database monitoring
Threshold alerts
Application performance management console
Collaboration tools
Out-of-the box templates to monitor applications
Application dependency mapping and thresholding
Virtualization monitoring
Server availability and performance monitoring
IT Asset Discovery

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Premier Support

They have been responsive and able to fix the issues for the questions I have answered. At times the process has moved a little slower than I would have liked; but overall the issues I've had have not been critical so that has been acceptable. It's been easy to communicate with support and get updates and provide updates.