Splunk for new users
September 14, 2017
Splunk for new users
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Splunk Enterprise
Splunk is being used extensively in our technology department. Many applications use Splunk to monitor business activity, system resources, exceptions/failures, and to overall system status. Splunk addresses more technology-related problems but it does provide the business greater transparency into the applications which in turn gives both the business and the developer's peace of mind.
- SPLUNK has a quick learning curve and can be easily self-taught. For example, there are plenty of resources available such as tutorials and search tools. There is really no prerequisite for learning how to use Splunk.
- SPLUNK Enterprise provides plenty of useful documentation and user support which makes it easy for anyone to learn and start using SPLUNK in a very short period of time. There are also examples and user feedback that is helpful if you need more advanced implementations.
- SPLUNK is very powerful, yet simple. For instance, you can set up a dashboard in one day provided you have admin rights and access to the data you want to Splunk.
- Even though there is a search tool as a help function, you still have to read through many documentation to find the answers you're looking for and sometimes you don't find it. The help function in Splunk could be improved to be more intuitive or have a built-in help per report, panel or dashboard.
- Creating a Splunk dashboard is rather straightforward however, customization is not. Splunk could be improved to provide more tools or features for customization such as adding colors and font options for text and graphs or graphics.
- My dashboard has a lot of useful information and I want the important panels and reports at the top but there is no easy way to do this. Perhaps Splunk could be improved to allow features such as adding URL links to other dashboards or some other clever way to emphasize the important data in my dashboard without compromising space.
- I don't have any numbers to share but Splunk has positively served as a 24/7 monitoring tool that has saved hours of work by self-detecting, saving statistics and alerting problems in the system or from external interfaces as soon as they happen.
- Splunk dashboards does a solid job in collecting, analyzing data and creating reports that contain an entire day's activity and then automatically sent out to the business.
- Splunk is very easy to learn and very useful to any program or business application.
- Bash and autosys
I wanted to learn a new language that I can quickly master and implement. Splunk is easy, fun to use and best of all, it can be developed in hours not days or weeks. Splunk is fundamentally a programming language that is minimal but yet powerful enough to collect, analyze and visualize data.
Splunk is well suited for applications or companies that process and store large data. Some of these applications may be legacy but as long as you can retrieve this data, then you can use Splunk to transform this data into meaningful reports or dashboards. In addition, Splunk is great for a 24/7 monitoring operations tool that can be set up to send alerts for production support. Splunk is less suited for applications that may already have a GUI because the Splunk features would be less superior than what a graphical user interface could provide in terms of features and customization.