PagerDuty Reviews

Derek Owens | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 03, 2020

Why PagerDuty enables my team

PagerDuty is utilized on select teams within our IT department. My team uses it to manage an on-call rotation. This has permitted the team to distribute work load and by taking advantage of the escalation features of PagerDuty we're assured that someone on the team will always be reached.
  • Scheduling.
  • Escalation of notifications.
  • Needs UI improvements in the scheduler to simplify updates.
  • Escalation policy UI can be confusing to new administrators.
Management of an on-call rotation for a team, including intersection of specific team members per service, is fantastic. I can use PagerDuty to ensure the correct team of support personnel are contacted and escalate to a next team as appropriate.
We have configured PagerDuty with an email integration to permit our users an easy method to contact our team's on-cal duty officer. This has improved our response time to our users and increased satisfaction.
Working with support when required has been a fantastic experience.
Read Derek Owens's full review
Moshe Cohen | TrustRadius Reviewer

Recommending PagerDuty

• My company consults for another where PagerDuty is used by most of the engineering departments.
  • It is used to notify about operational issues.
  • Notification on any channel and device you can think of
  • Good GUI for clearly retrieving the relevant information
  • Easy scheduling and escalation rules.
  • I would just like to be able to change the sound clip used in the mobile app alert notification. I can't even tell what the voice is saying, but it is a very annoying sound.
  • In the mobile app, I cannot know the number of open alerts, unless I do an "acknowledge all" and then see the number in the confirmation dialog. Just put that number in the title of the list.
PagerDuty is suited for any alert that needs to be managed, possibly urgently, but maybe not.
We have escalation rules starting from engineer on duty, and going up the hierarchy when issues are not acknowledged.
I never really used PagerDuty support, so giving a ten because I guess that is a good sign.
Read Moshe Cohen's full review
Michael Jenkins | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 01, 2020

Pager Duty is My Team's Central Point for Notifications

We use Pager Duty to communicate alerts generated by infrastructure monitoring. It's used by teams across our entire organization. It solves the problem of centralizing alert notification by giving us one place to collect and distribute alerts. Also, it does a great job with escalating alerts.
  • Multi channel notification.
  • Incident management
  • On-call schedule management.
It's well suited for having teams with multiple people on-call. One primary and a backup, for example. I do know that PD has incident management end to end so I am inclined to believe it is well suited for that as well. I'd like to see our team doing more incident management within the tool but we're not quite there yet.
Our workflows are not automated that I know of. If this is an example though, I have my notifications set up to alert mobile, send a text immediately, then call my phone within 5 minutes if the alert is not ack'd.
Any issues we've had with PD have been quickly addressed and resolved.
Read Michael Jenkins's full review
Rajeshh Raghavan | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 12, 2020

Makes life easier for on-call workers

It is used by multiple IT departments. It is used for raising production databases/applications related to critical alerts to the respective on-call personnel according to the schedules created in PagerDuty.
  • Having a one-time schedule created with different users and specific timings.
  • Schedule overrides are pretty simple.
  • Snoozing all the alerts simultaneously for the required time is difficult in the app.
PagerDuty is really good for organizations running critical databases/applications that can't be down for a long time. If the alert systems are set right then it's easy to keep the systems up and running all the time.
We don't have a cross-team incident response workflow but we do use the escalation policy. If the on-call doesn't acknowledge within 30 mins then the incident gets escalated to the manager. If the manager doesn't acknowledge within 30 mins then the incident is escalated to the director.
I haven't had any reason to reach out to support but I believe my co-workers had no problem in taking assistance from the support when they had to.
Read Rajeshh Raghavan's full review
Brad Metzler | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 28, 2020

PagerDuty is a must-have for any operations team with on-call personnel!

Our Information Technology Services Operations department uses PagerDuty in combination with system and operations monitoring and alerting platforms to aggregate alerts and deliver them to the appropriate on-duty persons.
  • The user interface for managing users, schedules and escalations is clear and easy to use and manage!
  • The integration options for delivering information to PagerDuty are great. We use both API and email integrations (from legacy systems).
  • The cost for having more users and features has kept us from leveraging more of the capabilities.
If you have systems that alert you, but those systems do not have good controls for whom/when you are alerted, then look at PagerDuty. If you have cases where you have multiple alert sources and need one app to aggregate all of those alerts and notify the correct person/persons based on varying schedules, PagerDuty is a must!
We use PagerDuty escalations to ensure that if someone flakes out on an alert or is slower than planned SLA to respond that the next best responders are alerted in a timely manner. We've never needed this due to a PagerDuty issue, but we certainly have leveraged these escalations to overcome human error!
We have rarely had a need for technical support, the product is rock solid! Our product and account management support folks have always been a pleasure to work with.
Read Brad Metzler's full review
Gabriel Vinokur | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 28, 2020

PagerDuty is the tool to ensure you are treating your customer issues the right way

PagerDuty is used throughout the organization to manage customer-facing problems. Each group or team at Medallia can have their own escalation paths. It is easy to find the right person to respond to a given escalation based on the group they belong to. PagerDuty helps us to keep track of response time SLAs for problems and escalating when necessary. PagerDuty also has the right integration endpoints with other tools used in the organization to seamlessly integrate with all required workflows.
  • Manage multiple escalation paths.
  • Ensure complete 24/7 coverage for all areas of the product.
  • User interface - Searching directly in PagerDuty can be complex.
  • Organizational mapping - PagerDuty groups needs to be done offline (in the head of someone). One great thing would be if it could integrate with systems like Workday to define groups/teams and escalation paths.
PagerDuy is well suited for DevOps support in current world engineering organizations. I feel it is of utmost importance to be able to locate and escalate problems to specific teams in a timely manner. Once configured properly, the tools provided by PagerDuty allow me to do it without much effort. I don't have to think about how to get ahold of someone, I know PagerDuty is the answer when time is of the essence.
One of the key metrics is the SLA to acknowledge a situation (indicate a person is aware of it and starting to investigate). It is trivial to do this from a cellphone. It is also easier to indicate that you cannot acknowledge the situation and that the escalation path needs to proceed. This is key as it avoids unnecessarily waiting for a predefined time period before following with the escalation path.
I haven't interacted with PagerDuty support.
Read Gabriel Vinokur's full review
Sam Kemp | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 27, 2020

PagerDuty is a service no MSP can live without

PagerDuty handles all our alert management for our support team. Initially we just used it to handle critical alerts for the on-call people and started super cheap by only setting up one account and on-call techs rotate through it. However we started getting to the point where that wasn't an option anymore so we put all our tech in and moved to the team plan which has saved a ton of time for us.
  • Alert Management. This is where it shines. We are just starting to get into parsing types of alerts and more advanced API drive events.
  • Integrations with hundreds of applications
  • Team Schedule automation
  • They don't have integrations with some of our key support tools but I don't think that's a problem with PagerDuty but more so the other toolsets.
  • Price. As you continue to add features the cost of the product can get rather pricey. Still worth it just have to be watched.
This is a fantastic product for an MSP where on-call rotations and alerts are critical keeping happy customers. One man shops, even though its cheap may not have be the best use of money.
I haven't worked with support too often but when i have they are prompt and I didn't leave the conversation with more questions or concerns.
Read Sam Kemp's full review
Anthony Aziz | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 23, 2020

PagerDuty offers DevOps teams the ability to stay on top of production issues

We use Pager Duty to manage on-call responsibilities and keep on top of production issues. We aggregate alarms from AWS Cloud Watch as well as use it as an internal page utility (for support to page an engineer).
  • Aggregates alarms from various sources.
  • Manages on-call schedules, maintenance windows, and users.
  • The phone app could be improved. We've had a handful of incidents where pages didn't go through and the app had to be reinstalled.
Pager Duty handles all of our operational alarm needs. It is useful for triggering based on any automated alarms or metrics (we feed AWS alarms to it via SNS) and notifying the people that need to handle the situation. It also manages our on-call rotation and schedules and exceptions. Pager Duty is not really meant to be used as a support tool for user issues, but it does double as a last-resort tool when a support staff member needs to get immediate attention from the engineering team (via email pages).
PagerDuty support has always been really quick to respond to any tickets we've submitted, and helpful in their responses.
Read Anthony Aziz's full review
Brian E Jones | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 20, 2020

Easy to integrate, well-crafted notification system

It is used as a notification system for engineers and technicians on call, receiving alarms from many other feeds including but not limited to network monitoring systems.
  • Escalation policies.
  • Configurable on-call preferences.
  • Billing/legal agreements.
  • Maintenance renewal.
In a situation where you have various teams supporting multiple services and you want a centralized way to allow different team leads to build and maintain their own escalation policies for support notifications while maintaining administrative oversight, PagerDuty is an excellent solution. PagerDuty is not a CRM tool, so it is not well suited to provide a public/customer-facing interface.
I have had really great success in working with PagerDuty support. Quick responses, friendly staff, and if they don't know the answer they don't try to snowball you, they tell you that they are seeking the people who can help resolve the issue or answer your questions.
Read Brian E Jones's full review
Julie ODonnell | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 15, 2020

PagerDuty nails it

We implemented PagerDuty for our Support and Operations teams to handle outages and P1 customer issues. It was awesome. Super easy to set up, use, administer. Never had a problem with it at all in six+ years. If I ever need something similar, I'll go straight back to PagerDuty.
  • Easy admin - add and change users.
  • Good team and escalation options.
  • Schedule setting was confusing at first.
  • Temp overrides could be made quicker.
We had a three-tiered escalation model where if the engineer on call missed the page (asleep, driving, etc.), it would page the next in the chain 10 minutes later, then the next (V.P. level) after that — worked great. No one wants the V.P. to get a page :)
I never had to use it, which is a good thing - the product is reliable.
Read Julie ODonnell's full review
Stephen Groat | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 07, 2020

The market leader in alerting on everything!

PagerDuty is used across the entire engineering department to assure that software that engineers write is well tested and monitored. By having engineers be responsible for their own code after it has been pushed to production with PagerDuty alerting, even during off-hours, there's more of an assurance that the code being deployed is a higher quality.
  • Quality UI and mobile apps.
  • Infrastructure as code support (Terraform).
  • Expensive.
  • Trying to integrate other categories (analytics) that don't work very well.
PagerDuty is a great fit in organizations that want to drive responsibility for code quality down to the engineer writing it by forcing them to experience downtime and outages with those production engineers. By trying to remove an entire category of engineers from an organization, there can be significant streamlining and efficiency gained.
The support for PagerDuty has been excellent in my experience. I've experienced 2 specific cases, one problem with the PagerDuty Terraform provider (which was fixed very quickly) and another issue around a PagerDuty integration (where PagerDuty spent specific time and was very prompt with updating and alerting on the progress towards the fix). Some of the best support I've received on a SaaS product, very transparent.
Read Stephen Groat's full review
Chris Denning | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 01, 2020

Well-designed for aggregating alerts

We use PagerDuty as the single point to aggregate all our alerts and fan out notifications to relevant staff via email and/or mobile app notifications.
  • Reliable
  • Focussed
  • US-centric, so UK SMS alerts are chargeable as international.
Does exactly what we need it to, the international text charges is just a small gripe
Not sure we've ever needed customer support.
Read Chris Denning's full review
Dimitar Drenski | TrustRadius Reviewer

Excellent product!

PagerDuty is used by my department. We use it to notify selected teams or team members for issues that need immediate action. Most of the time the alerts come from our monitoring jobs but also it's used when other teams need our help.
  • Can send multiple types of alerts.
  • Easy schedule configuration.
  • Easy confirmation of the alert through all methods.
  • The only issue that I notice so far is that sometimes I don't receive a call and only get a text message. Not sure if this is the application's problem or a phone issue. It has been confirmed by other colleagues as well.
It fits perfectly for us when someone is on call or when immediate help is needed. I think that what the application was designed for.
Read Dimitar Drenski's full review
Ben Slater | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 26, 2020

Reliable and great feature-set for the job

We use PagerDuty to manage all our 24x7 alerting across our fleet of managed servers and inbound customer requests.
  • Good management of on-call schedules.
  • Overall feature set fits the need of a 24x7 operation within our organization.
PagerDuty works very well for 24x7 operations. It is still up to you to make sure your alerting is tuned and alerting on the right stuff.
Read Ben Slater's full review
Ari Orlinsky | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 26, 2020

Solid product delivers as promised

PagerDuty is used by the IS and Development teams as the alert mechanism for all technical support issues. It has been a solid tool and decreased our resolution time.
  • Multi-channel alerting.
  • Wide variety of input sources.
  • Slightly better pricing than competitors.
PagerDuty works great for all of our technology teams for important issue tracking but does not apply for the rest of our teams.
We keep fairly simple workflows for resolution using PagerDuty in coordination with our project management ticketing system.
We have not had much need for customer support, but have been satisfied when we have reached out.
Read Ari Orlinsky's full review
Gilad Karmy | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 11, 2020

PD is an awesome tool!

We are using PD for our escalation process once a server has been triggered by Newrelic/Nagios or via emails by our partners.
  • Light weight integrations with monitoring tools.
  • Easy to handle crises
  • Scheduling part: the first phase when it automatically assigns team members, I need to override each one separately. I would like to be able to create my own schedule from scratch.
Crisis management is easy to handle via PD with the ability to send back resolved commands from mobile.
Newrelic alerts to PagerDuty: calling the oncall person and managing the event via PagerDuty.
Did use ps support
Read Gilad Karmy's full review
Felix Vaisman | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 15, 2020

PagerDuty Review

We use PagerDuty to manage escalation policies and communicate to make sure production pipelines are always up.
  • Integration with other systems.
  • Flexible escalation policies.
  • User-interface could be improved.
  • More enhanced incident analysis - Allow user tagging for incidents and exporting data for external analysis. Maybe even ML powered suggestions within the product.
PagerDuty is great for when you have a process that you need to keep in a stable state.
Generally it's been good when required, but there haven't been many instances that warranted contacting them.
Read Felix Vaisman's full review
Dawud Bey | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 14, 2020

My experiences with PagerDuty

Currently using PagerDuty as per the product intended,
1) Users, teams, on-call schedules
2) Monitors, Alerts
3) Extensions (ServiceNow, Slack, Pingdom, Datadog, etc.)

It addresses infrastructure needs as per the product.
  • On-call schedules, user & team management.
  • Alerting & incidents.
  • Expand new business services features.
  • Enhance the PagerDuty mobile app to allow additional functionality. Ex. Slack integration.
The product works well, and the support team and community are extremely helpful. The support site, knowledge-base is vast.
Each time I have logged support cases, the support team has been very good, professional and very responsive.
Read Dawud Bey's full review
February 14, 2020

PagerDuty - Far Beyond the Generation of Pager Support

PagerDuty is used as an incident management tool across the entire technology organization. It is also used for facilities and crisis management, which is more rare. It is a tool used for oncall support rotations and escalation.
  • Easy user interface to setup oncall rotations
  • Oncall rotations for application and infrastructure support
  • Build up local support team
Easy interface that our users understand with limited training. Good mobile app, flexible contact methods of phone, text, voice.
Our incident response workflow is designed to flow from application and infrastructure monitoring to an event console in the NOC, monitored 24x7, the NOC alerts trigger a PagerDuty alert to the selected oncall resource, and is integrated to create a ServiceNow ticket. The oncall resource receives alert on mobile device, can acknowledge, work the ticket, and close on the mobile, which then closes ticket in ServiceNow.
Excellent support. Out TAM provides regular training, goes above and beyond what we request.
March 10, 2020

Nobody loves getting paged... but it would be even worse if the page never arrived when it should have.

PagerDuty is being used across our company. We have many cloud services that require 24/7 uptime that our customers are depending on. PagerDuty helps us respond immediately to any blips or outages in any part of our cloud.
  • Makes scheduling on call rotas very easy across teams
  • Having detailed information on the page about the issue is very useful so that you can immediately dismiss any false alarms
  • Rescheduling or filling in for somebody while on holidays etc. is very easily done
  • From a user point of view, it's very easy to see your full on-call schedule if you are on call for multiple policies
  • The calendar feed lets me view my upcoming rota, however sometimes I am only interested in one particular schedule. It would be nice if I could get my calendar feed for a given schedule instead of an amalgamated view
Well suited to large teams with complex routing hierarchies. Probably a bit overkill for a smaller company as they wouldn't need this level of fexibility and it would be overly complicated for their needs.
We have several on-call policies for various services that span multiple timezones. This is a very complex schedule to maintain. There are multiple escalation levels, from engineering teams to management and beyond. It would not be possible to achieve such a complex response workflow if it were not for PagerDuty.
I've had to reach out to them for a few minor things. Each time, I arrived at a positive outcome.
March 07, 2020

A reliable and well-featured enterprise alerting system

We are using PagerDuty in a large department (700+ services configured) to enable monitoring and alerting on services that we are building. PagerDuty allows for automatic alerting integrated with standard tools such as Grafana as well as manual alerting for incidents and troubleshooting. It helps to ensure timely responses when someone is needed urgently.
  • Flexible notification rules via a variety of channels allow users to set up alerting as they prefer.
  • Escalation policies allow flexible scheduling and generally useful ability to override when providing cover for another team member.
  • The basic events API is easy to trigger so automatic alerting can be set up easily.
  • Services have a range of options such as high or low priority alerting, so only those notifications which need to wake someone up can do so.
  • The web interface can be unintuitive, though improvements have been made to it recently. When configuring an override, it tries to be helpful by not letting you select an end time before the start time, but this often causes me to submit an entirely wrong override. It also does not warn if you override someone with themselves (which is pointless and an error). Validation for overrides should be done when you press submit (or by displaying non-blocking warnings), not just ignoring the input you made.
  • The mobile application (I use Android) is awkward to use for anything other than basic tasks. For example, setting up an override on the mobile app is quite tricky to do. It's typically easier to turn on a laptop.
  • The mobile application does not seem to understand time-limited. Do Not Disturb settings on Android, so if it overrides Do Not Disturb (essential for prompt notifications), it leaves Do not Disturb switched on permanently rather than turning itself off again at a later point.
  • Your personal contact information is visible to all other users of PagerDuty in your organization, and there is no option to hide it. I would prefer this to be an option.
PagerDuty is well-suited for simple alerting and incident management, which is what we use it for. It allows incidents to be created quickly and closed easily, and the notifications are useful and generally reliable. If you need to make sure that a team member is available at all times, then it is a good choice. The scheduling is flexible and relatively easy to amend. If you have a small team, you may not need something as fully-featured. PagerDuty scales well to large teams.
We have not used the full incident response workflow provided by PagerDuty. We find that each incident is so different from the next that a standardized procedure is likely to be too cumbersome.
I had only used PagerDuty's support some time ago, and it was both prompt and helpful. The service is generally reliable enough that no support is required!

Great tool for 24/7 support

• In our studio, each department that needs live monitoring has its own escalation policy and schedule.
  • For example, the R&D department will have their schedule with dev-ops and developers if production machines misbehave. The BI/BA department will have their schedule with data engineers if some dashboards such as revenues or in-game economy start showing irregular patterns.
  • The game produced in our studio is monitored 24/7, and every aspect of it is covered, including the technical monitoring and business monitoring. The schedules are built with rotations in the team, with two lines of support in case someone is temporarily unavailable. This is all managed by PagerDuty, removing the need to remember who is on-call manually. PagerDuty notifies 24 hours in advance when someone will become on-call, so nobody is surprised when it is his turn.
  • It also provides a clear escalation procedure to communicate between departments outside of business hours. We simply trigger an alert, and the person on-call for this department will be available in the next minutes.
  • Creating a clear and straightforward escalation path
  • Creating schedules with no empty period
  • Creating alerts to contact people on-call is extremely simple, as is the integration with any monitoring system that we currently use.
  • Price is the major problem for large organizations since every user on the rotation needs to have a monthly paid account.
  • PagerDuty works very well for 24x7 operations.
  • The difficulty is not PagerDuty itself, but making sure that the monitoring is done right.
  • Any organization that needs to be notified in real-time about hardware failure or degradation of business KPI will find that PagerDuty is a very suitable tool.
  • Our current escalation policy is that the first line of support is receiving the alerts on their PagerDuty account.
  • This team is working 24/7 in shifts and covers all studios of the organization around the world.
  • When they do not know how to handle the alert, they will escalate to the second line of support through the PagerDuty application.
  • This second line is typically a developer from the studio where the alert is coming from.
  • If he needs help from other departments, he will create an alert for the right department in PagerDuty.
  • Everything is done through the website or the application.
I never need it, but I know it's there.
March 06, 2020

A fine product for alerting your on-call engineers

PagerDuty is used to handle our alerting policies and to handle our availability shifts. It is used for the tech department to alert on-call engineers when they need to look at the platform's health and availability.
It helps us keep the machine running.
  • The on-call rotation is clear
  • Everyone is alerted when going on/off call
  • It allows you to be contacted and respond to different devices and channels (Slack/SMS/phone).
  • The incident view could be more transparent and have space for custom links other than policies.
PagerDuty is an industry-standard for alerting. PagerDuty's main job is to contact people that are on call, and it does it well.
  • If you get a call during the night, you have just to press four on your dial-pad to acknowledge and a different number to escalate.
  • You get a voice message with the violated policy, which is very useful.
I never used it, never needed it.
February 26, 2020

Efficient and gets out of the way quickly

Our whole organization uses PagerDuty. We use it to manage on-call rotations and to quickly contact engineers in case of an outage. Oncall engineers can see the current incidents, and can also prioritize or group them if they refer to the same problem. The fixed page phone number makes it really easy to get notified even at night when the do-not-disturb is otherwise enabled.
  • User-interface.
  • Mobile app.
  • Group similar alerts.
  • Richer and more consistent alert UI.
Well suited:
- Manage on-call schedules.
- Contact on-call engineers.

Not well suited:
- Managing documentation about alert runbooks etc.
Being able to respond to alerts from a phone is critical in quickly addressing and assessing the severity of an incident, and in responding faster.

PagerDuty works for me!

We have a number of monitors plugged into PagerDuty to alert us when sites are experiencing issues. This allows our engineering team to respond to issues as soon as they start happening and to mitigate downtime for major production systems. In the past, our incident management team has utilized this to spin up a bridge to communicate and coordinate resources to resolve the issue. PagerDuty also allows us to quickly reach out to other members of the team that have the application.
  • Allows us to add additional responders.
  • Coordinate oncall schedules and allows for over rides and for secondary contacts to be engaged.
  • This is more a limitation of the phone app - if too many incidents come through then a mass acknowledgment has to be done through the web app. They can still be hacked individually but that can take some time.
When we had a larger team, it was very useful to go to the secondary on-call person and have backup responders. The real failing is with people not responding. The app does do what it's supposed to do and ping the on-call person.
We have a very simplified workflow. Monitors get alerts and PagerDuty rings out. We have not had a chance to look into the automation process yet.
We haven't had to utilize PagerDuty support but their reps were very informative in giving us advice on what services we could use.

About PagerDuty

PagerDuty is an enterprise incident resolution service that integrates with ITOps and DevOps monitoring stacks with the goal of improving operational reliability and agility. From enriching and aggregating events to correlating them into incidents, PagerDuty streamlines the incident management process by reducing alert noise and resolution times.