Overall Satisfaction with Tableau Online
Tableau Online is used to share and collaborate on workbooks created or generated by Tableau Desktop. In Tableau Online, you do not have to worry about hardware specifications, you simply buy the license and use it in a browser. All of the background hardware is maintained by Tableau. It is completely adapted to our organization. We have 3 sites in Tableau online for each department so that our data is not shared between the departments.
- Scalability- If you want to increase the number of users, it can be done without any hardware replacement or update.
- Flexibility- Since is maintained by Tableau, it can be adapted to any environment.
- Data source: It doesn't support many databases to run a direct query in it.
- Downtime will be very frequent [twice or three times per month] based on the region you deploy.
- Some of the configurations cannot be done as per your choice.
Talking about the connectivity to the data source, it's connectivity list is small but you can extend it by using Tableau Bridge in Tableau Online. Connecting to the data source takes hardly a few clicks in Tableau Online. Tableau Online supports live connection to some of the data sources and for remaining it extracts the data.
Tableau Online is used in an environment where Tableau Desktop creates dashboards and you want to share them and collaborate. It is best suited in a place where hardware infrastructure cannot be adopted. It is not well suited in an environment where you use certain data sources because Tableau Online only supports specific data sources.