Viewpoint of a longterm user
January 31, 2020
Viewpoint of a longterm user
Score 6 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Viewpoint Spectrum
Viewpoint Spectrum is used to record and
report the financial activities of several companies. Functionalities used are by us are:
- Accounts Receivable - For simple A/R
invoicing, contract progress billing, and the invoicing for individual asphalt
and ICC tickets that were entered into the material management module.
- Accounts Payable - To process
invoices entered directly into the A/P module and for invoices that are built
by pulling in individual material and rental tickets that were first entered
into the material management module.
- The payroll module - To track employees
and to pay for all direct and non-direct labor. Both the payroll and the
accounts payable module also link to job and equipment cost.
- The equipment module - To cost
expenses to individual pieces of machinery and to charge jobs for their usage.
- The job cost module - To track the
estimated, projected and actual cost for individual (unit priced) jobs to
generate a Work in Progress report.
- Cash management - To reconcile AP and
PR checking accounts.
- Monthly financial reports are
produced with the general ledger module.
- We do utilize document imaging
throughout the system.
- Allows for a hard-close of periods.
- Allows us to drill deeper into a record via links.
- The fact that creating custom reports requires to either have somebody in-house that knows the Crystal Reporting software needed to access the overly complicated database, or to pay a large sum of money to Viewpoint Spectrum for their services is definitely a downside.
- The Help menu is overly simplistic/not detailed enough to solve problems, and it also has limited search capabilities.
- We do not use Viewpoint Spectrum for estimating or project tracking. There has not been any incentive to do so. The results achieved using the methods already in place are at a level that it was deemed unnecessary to invest the time and money required to change.
- We do not use the Human Resources module. It is not necessary for only around 45 permanent employees. The functionality of just the payroll module covers the data we want to capture electronically. The other 400 - 500 employees we have each year are non-permanent union workers that come and go and are also sufficiently recorded and tracked with the payroll module.
The phone support staff is helpful and usually knowledgeable - if one can get through. I view the in-software help menu and online customer care functionality as part of support, I find they are lacking. The search functionality is limited and does not produce relevant results. The response time to emailed support questions is adequate. I have just begun using the chat function, so I will not include it in my review.