- Great UX: pretty, approachable, easy, mobile-friendly.
- Essential functionality: forums, knowledge articles, support requests.
- Social is built-in: profiles with names and photos, easy subscriptions, social media links, voting.
- Easy to add videos, for self-serve training.
- Hard to incorporate externally-produced documentation, for browsing and search.
- Zero barrier to entry: Nothing to support/install, and can do a proof-of-concept implementation for nearly no cost.
- Participation rates are strong and increasing.
- Speed of organizational response is within hours and even minutes.
It uniquely delivers a turn-key site for self-service, community help, and technical support.
What I should stress is how empowering this proved to be for our support folks. Zendesk lets them be public heroes, jumping in and solving problems (as well as building relationships). As soon as they discover a trick or workaround, they can post the article to their users, with no great effort. We also benefited by implementing a product suggestions area, which users, resellers, and our own support staff make good use of.