November 12, 2021
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Zerto
We use Zerto primarily as a DR/Replication engine, to frequently snapshot and replicate VMWare VM's between sites. Zerto is also very useful in that it allows easy 'rollback', e.g. if something happens unexpectedly and we don't have an easy/current/fresh snapshot to roll back to, and/or on occasion, if we're not certain where/when a bust occurred, we can spin up several instances/iterations of past machine states for analysis.
- Site to Site Replication.
- Recovery of VM's from recent timepoints.
- Modification of replicated VM's to different sites.
- IP, and/or other site specific, post replication/recovery modifications.
- The GUI could potentially benefit from a standalone option, vs VCenter Plugin.
- The VRA's which are placed on Hosts are pretty 'black box' ... visibility into their activity/behavior could prove useful.
- Zerto is like having the best possible insurance ... it just works, and often provides the backups taken overnight that are key in recovering data/work between overnight backups.
- Zerto easily enabled the move of primary datacenters by allowing easy failover to a secondary site, and failback to the primary site.
I've not had to ask much of Zerto Support, which is rare compared to many other products, but recall interactions being prompt, professional, and solution-oriented!
Do you think Zerto delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Zerto's feature set?
Did Zerto live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Zerto go as expected?
Would you buy Zerto again?
It's pretty great for a VCenter Plugin and works well within that context. A standalone management interface/service might be a little more usable/friendly, and/or more easily interfaceable with other systems/environments.
Site-to-site replication is extremely useful, and once failed over to a different site, reversing the protection and replication back to the original site is extremely easy, intuitive, and useful. It's not so much a traditional backup system, e.g. not something that would compete w/ Commvault et.al for traditional file/folder backup/recovery, and/or comparison of past file/folder sets to target certain changes/versions/etc.