Likelihood to Recommend
Altru shines in capturing constituent data. If you are looking for a product to collect user info and their use patterns then this database works. The challenge is getting the data out in a format usable for decision making and application. Reporting can be a bear. The preloaded key performance indicators and reports are useful but may not fit your need. Every institution is different, and every department has different needs. This product tries to bridge the gaps to create communication between areas, but at a cost. This will not serve any of the departments at 100% of what is wanted out of a database. Altru is a whole institution choice for the benefit of cross-department collaboration.
If your primary goals are: the ability to accept online donations [best/easiest to use donation form I've seen], acknowledge donors, and keep constituent data in one location - and you're willing to look for integrated solutions for other specific uses based on your needs - Kindful is for you. Bonus: Pricing for Kindful makes it easy to find the budget for other integrated solutions... because even if it doesn't do it all - it is still really inexpensive for what it does accomplish.
- Cloud based database provides access from anywhere we have internet access across our 40 acre campus.
- Constituent tracking provides powerful data tools to understand all points of contact with visitors.
- Basic and in-depth training programs offered, providing staff with the knowledge they need for successful use of the product.
- We particularly love the flexibility of Kindful's donation pages and donation plug-ins. They make it possible for us to accept donations on our website, without having donors have to leave the website.
- Kindful effectively streamlines back-office functions including acknowledgements for gifts - which saves our small 2-person team vital hours each week.
- Kindful integrates to a variety of valuable platforms, allowing us to manage all of our data in one place. Currently, we integrate with MailChimp [so all email recipients are segmented in Kindful, emails are sent from MailChimp], Fundraising Report Card, and several custom integrations through Kindful's open API [including one that tracks volunteer events and another that connects to CauseVox].
- Kindful's basic metrics and "dashboard" give us instant access to live fundraising results that are shown against historical information - giving us the ability to see how we're doing at all times.
- There is no online sales for merchandise.
- The way you have to set up events that span multiple days (such as camps) is currently very clunky and not user-friendly for online registration.
- The online shopping experience needs improvement. Visitors expect Amazon-level ease-of-use and Altru just isn't there yet.
- While Kindful is the best at tracking and showing us what interactions have happened in the past with our constituents, it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of planning next actions for major gifts fundraising. There is some basic functionality, but we have resorted to planning future actions outside of Kindful and entering them into Kindful as they occur.
- The "households" in Kindful can be a challenge, which goes hand-in-hand with the challenges with soft-credits. You can show these things, but when reporting, there can be errors since Kindful treats a "transaction" differently than a "credit. So if I ask for a list of donors whose largest gift is over $1,000 - It can miss people who give through Donor Advised Funds. But since it will generally pull in the donor advised fund, I can usually extrapolate and find the missing records.
- The "Organization" accounts in Kindful could be more robust. But since Kindful offers "Custom Fields" - that can be used to pull reports - we've been able to work around this.
- Kindful does include a peer-to-peer fundraising tool, but these are very basic and we ended up using a different tool to do our peer-to-peer. That being said, we still use that open API to bring all of that information into Kindful... which works wonderfully!
Having used multiple databases to collect data from visitors across all of our points of contact, we found we had information, but no comparison between areas. It was possible to have a volunteer who made a donation, bought a membership, made purchases in the shop, and attended a workshop, but only visited the galleries 1x a year. The result was to have power users without knowing it. While each of the products we had used were fine in their own right, they lacked the ability to tell us what we most needed to know - how often we were used across all of our points of service. Altru gave us that.
Return on Investment
- The biggest change at the RISD Museum is that everyone now has access to data. We don't have to guess what our constituents are doing -- we can actually look it up and base decisions on real visitor needs.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
Altru Editions & Modules
Additional Pricing DetailsAltru’s pricing information is catalogued below, as supplied by the software provider or retrieved from publicly accessible pricing materials. Altru is priced as an annual subscription. This includes hosting, unlimited users, access to unparalleled product support – everything you expect from a complete cloud solution.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
Kindful Editions & Modules
1. 0-1000 Contacts
2. 1001-5000 Contacts
3. 5001-15000 Contacts
4. 15001-25000 Contacts
5. 25001-50000 Contacts