Likelihood to Recommend
Axure is a robust tool for teams who seek a reliable, proven, and powerful prototyping tool (and have the budget for it!). Because it has been around for a longer time than some similar products, it includes a ton of features to make incredibly realistic and interactive prototypes. Teams who use Axure will likely benefit from how the tool enables users to create master designs that designers can share and reuse, saving time that may otherwise have been spent building a design from the ground up. However, this tool can be very difficult for new users to learn, so it’s not a great solution for teams who don’t have a lot of wiggle room between adopting the tool and using it to create designs on a deadline. Also, the tool is less intuitive than some of its other competitors, which can make it more time-consuming to whip up a design. For teams who often need to iterate on prototypes quickly, Axure is likely not to be the most efficient solution.
Professional in Research & DevelopmentEducation Management Company, 51-200 employees
I believe SmartDraw is a great tool for small- to mid-sized organizations for simplifying the production and management of org charts. We've also had the PMO experiment with the use of some of their flow charts as well.If an organization has an HCM with the capability of producing (good!) org charts, that is likely the best option... but many that I have used in my 30-year HR career don't. So there is definitely a need for SmartDraw in the market!
- Axure RP allows you to use adaptive views which is great for responsive design and development.
- Axure RP is a very robust prototyping tool that has the ability to add realistic interactions.
- There are numerous templates and formats available for wires, user flows, etc.
- Master styles make it easy to update design features across numerous project pages, taking out the monotonous work.
- Ability to quickly and efficiently create flowcharts and org charts that are pleasing to the eye.
- Cloud document storage always a plus. Can access work in progress anywhere.
- Ability to export in multiple formats to fit your needs.
Manager in Human ResourcesWholesale Company, 11-50 employees
- Sharing and versioning of the prototypes when working with multiple designers. It uses Subversion to checkout pages and components while they are being worked on, but issues and errors occur frequently.
- The functions that allow interactions can be basic and cumbersome so when it comes to complex animations or transitions, Axure could really use improvements. . Collision can happen with interactions causing unintended results. Workarounds have to be made to create a complex interaction to describe how the interaction should function.
- Too many interactions or a large prototype can cause slow performance. So its better to keep the prototype small. However, a larger project would need a different solution or approach to manage features. Can be difficult when aiming for consistency within the interactive wire.
Consultant in Information TechnologyBanking Company, 10,001+ employees
- SmartDraw can still be a bit slow at times. While the ability to create complex charts and and figures that have multiple connecting (and intersecting) lines has improved, there are still some instances where SmartDraw can improve in (i.e.- sometimes I'm forced to freeze lines that I don't want a newly created line to automatically connect to).
- Restructuring the ribbon to be more user friendly and intuitive could also go a long way. I am not sure why text alignment is all the way to the right of the ribbon on the user interface. It is nearly non-existent when I minimize my window. To me, the functionality in the Design ribbon does not make sense (only because I use PowerPoint and Word on a daily basis). Design is more content creation and editing, sort of like the functionality in the Home ribbon.
- Creating additional right mouse click shortcut options would also save lots of time. I don't want to have to go to the ribbon every time I need to group or ungroup different sets.
- Printing and properly adjusting printing is a nightmare. It is not intuitive, manually adjusting only complicates things, and there aren't enough options that allow for properly adjusting your window for printing. Printing functionality is too complex and a real deterrent when attempting to share content with clients.
Analyst in Professional ServicesManagement Consulting Company, 11-50 employees
Axure RP 8.0
Based on 2 answers
Axure feels like a tool that started with a simple interface that wasn't redesigned over time. Simple tasks sometimes require clicking through multiple layers. Crucial pieces of functionality are hidden under text links, or just flatly aren't discoverable. Much of the quirks of the interface only come from having screwed up numerous times, and knowing that certain things are just difficult to accomplish.
No answers yet
No answers on this topic
Axure RP 8.2
Based on 3 answers
I've never used the support for Axure but they do have an online community that can be helpful when you're unsure how to accomplish a specific bit of interactivity. Overall the community for Axure is a great benefit for the software. There are also a lot of shared library assets which can help reduce the time you spend on projects.
Based on 4 answers
They are always very helpful, we get computers every two years and I have to call them to move the license from one computer to another and they do it with a smile in their voice!
Axure is more full features than most of its competitors. We needed the interactivity that Axure provides and that others were lacking in. We also had some individuals on the team that were familiar with Axure from their prior experience and we wanted to take advantage of that knowledge to quickly roll it out.
Indigo Studio and Visio were other products used in my department.We chose SmartDraw over Visio on both features and cost.
Return on Investment
- Putting designs to paper makes it easier for those on the business side to evaluate the cost of the project beyond just looking at written requirements.
- Axure licenses are very expensive and may not be well suited for small businesses or individuals.
- Axure licenses are permanent rather than being subscription based which saves money in the long run.
- Positive impact - easier to create professional looking drawing and send back and forth to superintendent for editing.
- Easier to e-mail copies or drawing changes to our customers.
Manager in CorporateConstruction Company, 11-50 employees
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
Axure RP Editions & Modules
Additional Pricing Details—
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
SmartDraw Editions & Modules
|Multiple-Users (for 5+ users)||5.952|
- per month
- per user/per month