https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/p4/9k/46VA54FDTAHN.pngDon't go without CarboniteCarbonite backs up all my personal and business data. This is a disaster recovery measure. Multiple local backups protect from day-to-day data loss.,They keep versions of data. If files change, they store the old version with the new. This is a great way to protect against encryption viruses and deleted data. Backup is seamless. As files are changed or saved, they are immediately added to the upload and saved to Carbonite servers. Files are easily identified as backed up or not. Customers can easily add/remove files from carbonite with the context menu (right-click).,Upload/recovery is time-consuming. Not much you can do for that, but if you need to recover data, it may take a while.,10,The cost of Carbonite is low enough that it doesn't make sense for a small business not to use it. For larger organizations, the price can get a bit high depending on what you need to protect.,MozyBasic backup service but little customization for file typesI use Carbonite to back up all of my files and data on my business computer. Previously, I had been using Mozy which I LOVED, and Mozy was recently acquired by Carbonite, so I am now using that. Backups have saved my business from losing all of its data at least once before when I had a complete hard drive failure. And it's made moving my data from one computer to another a breeze as well.,You know what's being backed up by the status dots that appear on each icon. Green means the item is backed up and yellow means the item is in the queue to be backed up. No dot means that the item will not be backed up. This lets me know very quickly what's safe Unlimited backup: the plan that I have offers me an unlimited amount of storage so that I do not have to pay more each time my files outgrew available space Incremental backup: each file is continuously being backed up so that the minute there are changes, Carbonite puts it in the queue,Carbonite indicates which files are being backed up by its dot system so that you can easily backup a single file that you don't see the dot on by selecting that option from the file's context menu. But there is no place for me to go to select entire folders or data sets so that it will back up everything in that folder, regardless of file type. Carbonite automatically backs up a majority of files types by default but does not take into consideration specialized file types like font files. These files are very important for a designer like myself and I can't afford to lose my fonts. But I also don't want to have to select the option to back them up one by one. I have over 1,000 of them! So there is definite room for improvement here. The cost is significantly more than what I paid for Mozy, almost double. For the first year, they are giving old Mozy users a deal comparable to Mozy's pricing, but after that my pricing will be almost double what I used to pay.,5,Overall, a backup service is a necessary tool for any business that relies heavily on their data and files. And having a backup service in the past has definitely saved my business a couple of times. Once, my hard drive failed completely and I would have lost all my work had there been no backup in place. Definitely well worth the cost, even if it is more expensive.Carbonite Realtime Replication SolutionCarbonite is a powerful migration and replication solution that really help my partners to help their customers. Carbonite provides an end-to-end data protection and synchronizes real-time with zero data loss and fewer downtimes.,Real-Time Replication OS Replication that consists of a database, storage, application and data One Too Many Licensing schemes. One License (physical/virtual) can be replicated into multiple targets Competitive Pricing Pro Active Carbonite Vendors in terms of support,Needs to be identical from both side of DC and DRC, but it doesn't affect us too much,9,Carbonite, in terms of ROI, is very positive. This Solution is very beneficialDecent backup but keep an eye on itCarbonite was used here to backup servers and a few C-Level individuals. I needed a backup solution that was simple, easy to use and deploy and provided a comprehensive dashboard that allowed me to see my environment. This did all those things and worked pretty well. I would not use it again as it's alerting system left something to be desired.,Install and config is simple. Backups run pretty much on their own once installed - without user intervention. Restore is relatively easy to manage with only a little training needed (for me). This is a pretty fire and forget tool.,Alerting was very terrible - alerts would come late or not at all with regard to backups. The local then cloud backup can suck up a good chunk of space. The restore process, while simple once learned, does take some training to understand.,6,The cost is not prohibitive for a small business. Backup and restore are both relatively easy to manage. Alerting is terrible - going 3 days without knowing that a backup is stuck or failing was the deal breaker for me.,CrashPlan, Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance and Arcserve Backup,Barkly, FortiAP, Microsoft Office 365,100,100,Server backup User backups Server Restores User restores,user level backups staff-wide,1Carbonite ReviewWe are a reseller of Carbonite. It is an easy to use a cost-effective product to backup your data. For a user wanting to back up their personal data, it is a great fit. Restoration is straightforward and quick (depending on download speed). We do not recommend this for business-critical data or system state, SQL databases or Exchange.,Backs up local files to the cloud Easy to access/restore files when/if misplaced or deleted Inexpensive,I do not recommend this for critical business data (only personal use). Cloud only backup option could take a VERY long time to restore (depending on your bandwidth). Retention in the cloud limited to only 30 days.,5,Cost-effective Easy backup/restores Initial sync can take a very long time,Mozy Pro and Dropbox for Business,Mozy Pro, Dropbox for Business
Carbonite

Carbonite Reviews

Carbonite
Filter 49 vetted Carbonite reviews and ratings

Troy Alcorn profile photo
February 15, 2019

User Review: "Don't go without Carbonite"

• They keep versions of data. If files change, they store the old version with the new. This is a great way to protect against encryption viruses and deleted data.
  • Backup is seamless. As files are changed or saved, they are immediately added to the upload and saved to Carbonite servers.
  • Files are easily identified as backed up or not. Customers can easily add/remove files from carbonite with the context menu (right-click).
  • Upload/recovery is time-consuming. Not much you can do for that, but if you need to recover data, it may take a while.
Carbonite is well suited for anyone that wants an off-site backup. Small businesses are especially vulnerable to being put out of business if data is lost and this will keep that from happening.
Read Troy Alcorn's full review
Ruby Javaid profile photo
January 29, 2019

Carbonite Review: "Basic backup service but little customization for file types"

• You know what's being backed up by the status dots that appear on each icon. Green means the item is backed up and yellow means the item is in the queue to be backed up. No dot means that the item will not be backed up. This lets me know very quickly what's safe
  • Unlimited backup: the plan that I have offers me an unlimited amount of storage so that I do not have to pay more each time my files outgrew available space
  • Incremental backup: each file is continuously being backed up so that the minute there are changes, Carbonite puts it in the queue
  • Carbonite indicates which files are being backed up by its dot system so that you can easily backup a single file that you don't see the dot on by selecting that option from the file's context menu. But there is no place for me to go to select entire folders or data sets so that it will back up everything in that folder, regardless of file type. Carbonite automatically backs up a majority of files types by default but does not take into consideration specialized file types like font files. These files are very important for a designer like myself and I can't afford to lose my fonts. But I also don't want to have to select the option to back them up one by one. I have over 1,000 of them! So there is definite room for improvement here.
  • The cost is significantly more than what I paid for Mozy, almost double. For the first year, they are giving old Mozy users a deal comparable to Mozy's pricing, but after that my pricing will be almost double what I used to pay.
The biggest issue for me is the inability to select complete folders or data sets for backup. The backup is simple and easy to use, but until I can be sure that everything I want is being backed up, I can't really recommend this solution wholeheartedly. The online dashboard is lacking these options as well as the desktop application.
Read Ruby Javaid's full review
Sunery Yang profile photo
September 26, 2018

Review: "Carbonite Realtime Replication Solution"

• Real-Time Replication
  • OS Replication that consists of a database, storage, application and data
  • One Too Many Licensing schemes. One License (physical/virtual) can be replicated into multiple targets
  • Competitive Pricing
  • Pro Active Carbonite Vendors in terms of support
  • Needs to be identical from both side of DC and DRC, but it doesn't affect us too much
Carbonite High Availability is very good to be used in Banking Financial Industry where it's core banking needs less downtime and also a standby DRC with the same value of data from the DC. The transaction flow can be saved by Carbonite when something happens with the DC.
Read Sunery Yang's full review
Nathan Venno profile photo
December 14, 2017

Carbonite Review: "Decent backup but keep an eye on it"

• Install and config is simple.
  • Backups run pretty much on their own once installed - without user intervention.
  • Restore is relatively easy to manage with only a little training needed (for me).
  • This is a pretty fire and forget tool.
  • Alerting was very terrible - alerts would come late or not at all with regard to backups.
  • The local then cloud backup can suck up a good chunk of space.
  • The restore process, while simple once learned, does take some training to understand.
One of the few wholly online backup solution that provides and appliance-free backup (they do have that option as well). It does backup well - once running it really does what it needs to do with little need for intervention. Add/removing folders is simple. It offers an app that allows you to see your backups in pretty-near real time (if you are that obsessed).
Read Nathan Venno's full review
December 22, 2017

"Carbonite Review"

• Backs up local files to the cloud
  • Easy to access/restore files when/if misplaced or deleted
  • Inexpensive
  • I do not recommend this for critical business data (only personal use).
  • Cloud only backup option could take a VERY long time to restore (depending on your bandwidth).
  • Retention in the cloud limited to only 30 days.
Carbonite is a good solution for a stand-alone PC, a home PC or a laptop that leaves the office and has data on it. Definitely not an enterprise solution, even though they do provide higher-end packages, I would not recommend it to a client. I also question to call this a disaster recovery solution as it's retention is only 30 days.
Rob Rotundo profile photo
July 18, 2017

Review: "Carbonite - Go To Backup for Small Non-Domain Businesses"

Carbonite is a cheaper alternative for smaller businesses who may not be in a domain environment and want to backup data offsite. It's nice to know there are cheaper options. It's fairly stable and support for it is good. Most places implement it on a particular PC, and not company wide. Perhaps a PC that has critical data on it. This is where it comes into play for a smaller business.
  • Backs up offsite with unlimited data
  • Support is good
  • It's cheap
  • Would like to see an easier restore process
  • Would like to see an option for better management of a company rather than having individual computers in the list
  • Would like to see a better management console for IT providers
Carbonite is good for smaller businesses which don't have a domain environment with redirected profiles. If there is a computer running something like Quickbooks, that data is critical, and Carbonite is an easy way to ensure the data is backed up offsite in case of a disaster.

It's not as good for a larger domain environment. Restores and management would be cumbersome.
Read Rob Rotundo's full review
Mahmoud Dahy profile photo
April 05, 2017

User Review: "Carbonite is great for backups"

I use Carbonite for work these days. My company has been using Carbonite to backup our files for the past four years. Carbonite has been a lifesaver for many of our employees who have lost their files. I recently upgraded my hard drive and wanted a clean copy of my files so I asked Carbonite to send me a hard drive with all my files. The process was smooth and straightforward.
  • Backup in the background.
  • The ability to access files anywhere including mobile devices.
  • The ability to get all your files on a hard drive so you don't have to wait to download all your files.
  • The ability to backup mobile device data.
  • The ability to manage teams online.
  • It works well with high speed Internet.
  • Speed. Carbonite is slow at backup and retrieve. It would be nice to backup files without having to wait for days.
  • Better user interface for their desktop application and web based.
  • Integrating with third party applications like Microsoft Office 360.
Carbonite is great at providing backup at very low price for individual use. If you have a team of many employees who have so much data, it can cost a lot to backup everyone as Carbonite cost is based on how much storage team needs.
Read Mahmoud Dahy's full review
Nathanial Holt profile photo
March 31, 2017

User Review: "Carbonite for peace of mind"

We use Carbonite to keep our computers backed up so we never have to worry about anything we are working on for clients. We try to keep as many backups as possible and it's reassuring that it's backed up off-site.
  • Peace of mind
  • Easy setup
  • Lower cost
  • Faster backup speed
I think it works best as a way to keep your system backed up. I'm never afraid Im going to lose anything.
Read Nathanial Holt's full review
April 05, 2017

User Review: "Peace of Mind from Carbonite"

Many employees use it to ensure that we won't lose data during a computer crash. It is also helpful to be able to access our backed up files remotely (i.e. from my phone.)
  • Back up files
  • Provide remote access
  • Consistency
  • Option for backing up large video files
  • Ease of restoring files
  • Better mobile app
It is amazing to help provide peace of mind. Most computers will crash at some point, and having Carbonite lets you know you're protected.
Robb Glietz profile photo
February 15, 2017

Review: "Carbonite for the win for multi reasons"

The primary use of Carbonite is to back up our Database; Carbonite grabs the data from our SQL Database then puts it on a NAS device and then during the middle of the night it grabs that data and fires it off to the Carbonite cloud for storage.
The second use is we have several computers in remote locations that we back up on a constant basis.
  • Doing multi schedules to pull for multi-databases.
  • Backing up data to multi devices on a schedule.
  • Using the same dashboard to check on computer backups at remote locations.
  • Emails don't always come out when they should; sometimes it is several hours later.
  • When a critical error occurs emails will sometimes not show up and you have to log in to see what happened.
  • Better error handling when it comes to when the application thinks there are multi backups.
Can set it up to pull from multi data sources at various hours and place it on different media at different times with just a few mouse clicks, user-friendly. Able to check on computer backups and to get emails from Carbonite about computers that have not been backed up in some time.
Read Robb Glietz's full review
Sean Ursulo profile photo
September 28, 2016

"My honest review of Carbonite for Business"

We use carbonite for our mobile employees that are out of the office often or are working remotely. Because they are not in the office during regular onsite backup hours, we use Carbonite to backup their systems to ensure we do not lose any of the critical data that our employees are storing locally.
  • Manages backups of files in real-time. Any time there is an addition, deletion or modification of files, the software backs it up immediately.
  • Web interface makes it very easy to see current storage, users and settings so all necessary modifications can be done anywhere with an internet connection.
  • Mobile applications are available so users can access their important files from cellular phones if needed.
  • I would like to see a business management application for Android.
  • As an administrator, it may be nice to browse the member files from an application without having to sign in as the user.
  • It would be nice to be able to archive old files on a local computer easily.
Carbonite is best suited for laptops and remote users that do not have a stable connection for onsite backups. This solution has worked perfectly to ensure I do not lose any data even if my computer is destroyed, lost, or stolen. It is a bit costly (storage-wise) if considered to be used locally or when onsite backups are an option.
Read Sean Ursulo's full review
Tina Cline profile photo
June 23, 2016

User Review: "Carbonite great cloud storage"

Carbonite is a great way to make sure your backups are done for your personal or business environment. Cloud storage assures you the data is available for disaster recovery.
  • Offsite cloud storage
  • Inexpensive
  • Easy to set up and use
  • Updates that won't break install
  • Custom retention ability
  • Account management
  • Faster notification of failed backups
Carbonite is making strides on the business needs but is not quite perfected for servers and enterprise. For simple small business or home backup needs, it is a good product.
Read Tina Cline's full review
Anthony Shane profile photo
February 23, 2016

Review: "Carbonite from a Consultant's perspective."

I'm an IT consultant and use Carbonite for many different companies. It's being used for entire companies and used for file-level backups.
  • Provides a simple way to start backing up immediately.
  • Gives a great graphical indication that files are backed up without having to go into the application. This is represented by a green or red dot over the file icon.
  • Provides a simple way for users to restore data without asking IT.
  • Pricing could be more competitive with the current market.
  • Email notifications are not as in-depth as I'd like them to be.
While Carbonite is well suited for business and home use, it's definitely a better solution for home users. It's quick and easy, and doesn't require an IT department to manage it.
Read Anthony Shane's full review
September 19, 2016

User Review: "Carbonite"

Carbonite is being used by remote users and those in small offices for data backups and to increase data accessibility. This allows us to switch out the hardware they use without worrying about data loss.
  • Simplicity. The intuitive design allows even the least tech savvy users to back up and retrieve data with little help desk intervention.
  • Our users are backing up potentially confidential files. Carbonates security let's us do this with confidence it will not be disseminated.
  • Mobile accessibility is also key to our usage of Carbonite. The ability to access files across several pcs allows us to share data easily.
  • No ability to back up network drives.
For small offices or small businesses Carbonite is a good choice.

About Carbonite