Microsoft Exchange is a secure email / messaging gateway with file archiving and encryption / data loss capability, available as a hosted service (Exchange Online) or installed (Exchange Server).https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/mK/6e/DXT05AHQHPFP.jpegMicrsoft Gives Your Company a Positive Outlook!To be clear, I'm reviewing Microsoft's desktop email application "MS Outlook 2016". I find the term "Microsoft Exchange" to be a bit confusing, because it refers to an underlying platform for which there are several clients. MS Exchange is used for email and scheduling meetings at my company, so it is at the heart of keeping us organized and in touch. If a meeting wasn't scheduled (and accepted) on our Exchange calendar, then it's not a legitimately booked meeting.,Flexibility of user interface: for me, being able to completely customize the commands and layout of the ribbon menu is a huge productivity booster. I surface the functions I need to use often, and hide the rest. Setting up meetings and appointments, and color-coding them so I can see at-a-glance what my day is going to look like. Pop-up reminders for meetings are absolutely invaluable, and without them I have a hard time making the meetings I've committed to attending.,I sometimes get confused about availability for appointments. I use my Outlook calendar not only to schedule meetings with others, but also to remind myself to complete tasks on a specific day. Not sure how this could be more intuitive, but it's something I've run into a few times before. When the details for a meeting change several times in a short period, as can happen when someone has trouble booking a room, or working within the availability of all the attendees, I get many messages in my inbox and it's a) annoying and b) a bit hard to understand what's going on. Maybe some kind of digest for those cases could help there. The setting to strip out formatting when pasting from another application does not actually work, which is annoying since I send HTML-enabled messages. I need to right click and choose the special paste option to get around this.,9,Exchange has a huge positive impact, I would imagine, on our business objectives. I don't know how much we pay for it, but it's difficult for me to imagine running our company efficiently and effectively without it.,,JIRA Software, OneNoteExchange It Up!In my current position, I am responsible for migrating our United States origination from Lotus Notes to Microsoft Exchange 2016. This includes the Exchange architecture, setup, migration and management. Exchange 2016 is now our primary (and only) email solution for our entire origination across multiple continents. The reason we switched to Exchange from Notes, is because Exchange provides up-to-date email technology, redundancy/failover, low cost of ownership, scalability and excellent performance.,Exchange provides protection of sensitive data though DLP (Data Loss Prevention) and compliance regulations. Exchange makes use ease of access by integrating with Lync/Skype For Business/SharePoint as well as personal archives and large mailbox support. Exchange provides multi-layered anti-spam protection keeping your users safe from email threats. Exchange provides email anywhere through the use OWA, Outlook Anywhere, and mobile devices support with ActiveSync. Exchange provides different levels of admin access by using RBAC (Role Based Access Controls) to allow administrators and helpdesk to manage mailboxes and users efficiently.,The main issue I have with Exchange is the web-based Administrative Center. Compared to the Exchange Management Console prior to Exchange 2013, it's slow and you don't have as many options. That being said, is the reason every Exchange admin should learn PowerShell to do their job efficiently. Exchange is quite the resource hog and does need some initial investment into server hardware/VM infrastructure and storage. Luckily Exchange can run on big, cheap disks quite well. Depending on the environment it does take quite a bit of knowledge to setup and configure. There are tons of guides out there to get you where you need to be.,10,We have achieved 99% uptime for email services using Exchange 2016. By using a Database Availability Group (DAG), email is highly available and partnered with a load balancing solution, you can even run maintenance during production hours. Exchange makes it possible to work from anywhere by using Outlook On The Web (OWA) or Outlook Anywhere by providing external access to email. While on the go, Exchange provides email connectivity to devices and phones, so you never miss that important email. Exchange provides an excellent return on investment by providing "always on" email services with the benefit of being able to run on cheap storage - this allows for giant mailboxes allowing users to keep emails forever.,IBM Notes,Skype for Business, MS SharePoint, Windows ServerMicrosoft Exchange - The Industry Standard for a ReasonMicrosoft Exchange being used by the entire organization. Our entire email infrastructure is Microsoft Exchange, including alerts and notifications. Our current system is Microsoft Exchange 2010, which is on-premise. We are in the process of upgrading to Microsoft Exchange 2016, which will also be on-premise. We have it deployed in multiple data centers for redundancy. It provides dependable, reliable email for the entire company, across a wide variety of devices. We also have Exchange access on all of our mobile phones, which is managed by Airwatch MDM. I also used Exchange at my previous employers, and it has always worked very well and provided solid, dependable email access. We prefer on-premise to hosted, as it gives us absolute control of both the architecture of our Exchange environment, as well as very granular control over the Exchange servers themselves. All of our Exchange servers on virtualized in VMWare ESXi, as well. Exchange is simply the best email solution available, and on-premise is the best version of that product.,Integration with mobile devices. It's fast, simple, and effective Integration with Microsoft Outlook. There's no better product in the business if you use Microsoft Office, period. Simple user management. It's easy to create, delete, and move mailboxes & distribution lists. Excellent active directory integration. Again, best of breed here.,Cost. Exchange is expensive, both in terms of hardware costs and especially software costs. Complexity. It is not something that you have a novice setup or administer. You need admins trained in Microsoft Exchange. Problems can be difficult to troubleshoot. Some problems that pop up are not especially intuitive, even for seasoned Exchange Admins.,9,Availability. It has enabled us to have predictable, reliable, and robust email. Email cannot go down, and we have never had a major outage as a result of the way our system is architected. Powerful email administration. Adding new mailboxes, DL's, and even Exchange servers, is not difficult. It enables us to grow our environment as needed, without any painfully long outage periods. High availability. It's not simple, but it is effective. HA Exchange setups are best of breed.,,Microsoft Office 2016, GoToMeeting, VMware Horizon ViewMicrosoft Exchange is a Must for Outlook UsersMicrosoft Exchange is used by our entire organization, and is a great way to manage your email away from the office, whether working from home or on the road.,Microsoft Exchange gives me complete access to my email and features. I can compose emails, use and manage email signatures, send attachments, etc. Everything I need, I can do it through Exchange. Exchange gives my emails a more professional feel than using my phone or tablet to compose and send email. If I need a more polished, professional feel to my message, I like using Exchange. I'm able to access my calendars, make appointments, set my out-of-office automated responses, and check my team's calendars through Exchange. I don't have to sacrifice any functionality.,Message formatting, especially with bullets and numbering, is compromised with Exchange. You can still do basic bullets and numbering, but you don't have the same look and feel [as] when using Outlook. This isn't necessarily a complaint against Exchange, but just a fact. If you're using your personal device to access Exchange, you're not going to have access to all of your documents on your work device. So if you're looking for a document to attach, you need to have it on the device or in the cloud to access it. I wouldn't want to use Exchange as my primary way to access my email. It's nice in a crunch, or if you're working from home or on the road, but Outlook is much easier for me to use.,10,It's made our organization more effective. We can keep track of our email communication from home and on the road at any time of the day. It allows my team to constantly be up-to-date for all email communication. Exchange allows my team to create calendar invites and events to ensure we're as productive as possible.,IBM Lotus Notes and Novel GroupWise,Microsoft Access, Blue Box, Proto.ioMicrosoft Exchange: A Great Tool for Business And/Or Personal UseMy previous and current employers utilize Microsoft Exchange throughout the entire organization to communicate both internally and externally. It helps us share information, view each other's calendars and schedule meetings easily.,The threaded emails allow me to easily find and follow a conversation history when necessary. I can easily add an email to my task list, calendar and contact information.,I shared a general email account with my team, and while my iPhone allowed me to easily set up my own Exchange account on it to check emails, the general/shared Exchange account could only be viewed from my phone. I was unable to reply to emails from my phone.,10,There have been times that Exchange is unable to connect with the server and emails do not get sent. While it is rare and could possibly be an issue on our end, it is inconvenient in a corporate environment regarding efficiency and productivity.,,Articulate Storyline, Google Drive
Microsoft Exchange

Microsoft Exchange Reviews

Microsoft Exchange
Filter 386 vetted Microsoft Exchange reviews and ratings
February 02, 2018

Microsoft Exchange Review: "Micrsoft Gives Your Company a Positive Outlook!"

• Flexibility of user interface: for me, being able to completely customize the commands and layout of the ribbon menu is a huge productivity booster. I surface the functions I need to use often, and hide the rest.
  • Setting up meetings and appointments, and color-coding them so I can see at-a-glance what my day is going to look like.
  • Pop-up reminders for meetings are absolutely invaluable, and without them I have a hard time making the meetings I've committed to attending.
  • I sometimes get confused about availability for appointments. I use my Outlook calendar not only to schedule meetings with others, but also to remind myself to complete tasks on a specific day. Not sure how this could be more intuitive, but it's something I've run into a few times before.
  • When the details for a meeting change several times in a short period, as can happen when someone has trouble booking a room, or working within the availability of all the attendees, I get many messages in my inbox and it's a) annoying and b) a bit hard to understand what's going on. Maybe some kind of digest for those cases could help there.
  • The setting to strip out formatting when pasting from another application does not actually work, which is annoying since I send HTML-enabled messages. I need to right click and choose the special paste option to get around this.
MS Exchange is well-suited for managing emails and meetings. I feel that's where it really excels.

It's less appropriate for keeping track of tasks and follow-ups. I get the feeling that Outlook has many more features than I actually use, and I recall trying out tasks but they never really stuck. I like to use MS OneNote for my to-dos.
Stacey Branham profile photo
April 04, 2017

Microsoft Exchange Review: "Exchange It Up!"

• Exchange provides protection of sensitive data though DLP (Data Loss Prevention) and compliance regulations.
  • Exchange makes use ease of access by integrating with Lync/Skype for Business/SharePoint as well as personal archives and large mailbox support.
  • Exchange provides multi-layered anti-spam protection keeping your users safe from email threats.
  • Exchange provides email anywhere through the use OWA, Outlook Anywhere, and mobile devices support with ActiveSync.
  • Exchange provides different levels of admin access by using RBAC (Role Based Access Controls) to allow administrators and helpdesk to manage mailboxes and users efficiently.
  • The main issue I have with Exchange is the web-based Administrative Center. Compared to the Exchange Management Console prior to Exchange 2013, it's slow and you don't have as many options. That being said, is the reason every Exchange admin should learn PowerShell to do their job efficiently.
  • Exchange is quite the resource hog and does need some initial investment into server hardware/VM infrastructure and storage. Luckily Exchange can run on big, cheap disks quite well.
  • Depending on the environment it does take quite a bit of knowledge to setup and configure. There are tons of guides out there to get you where you need to be.
In a nutshell, Exchange is well suited to any organization that uses email. This includes Exchange on-premises or hosted on Office 365. In my experience, it bests any other email solution in performance, cost of ownership, reliability, and redundancy, and ease of use for end-users. On-prem Exchange might less appropriate for very small organizations, but those can easily be set up on Office 365.
Read Stacey Branham's full review
Kurt Ferguson profile photo
April 04, 2017

Review: "Microsoft Exchange - The Industry Standard for a Reason"

• Integration with mobile devices. It's fast, simple, and effective
  • Integration with Microsoft Outlook. There's no better product in the business if you use Microsoft Office, period.
  • Simple user management. It's easy to create, delete, and move mailboxes & distribution lists.
  • Excellent active directory integration. Again, best of breed here.
  • Cost. Exchange is expensive, both in terms of hardware costs and especially software costs.
  • Complexity. It is not something that you have a novice setup or administer. You need admins trained in Microsoft Exchange.
  • Problems can be difficult to troubleshoot. Some problems that pop up are not especially intuitive, even for seasoned Exchange Admins.
Microsoft is very well suited for medium to large businesses. It is robust, powerful, and reliable. If you want the best email in the business, you want Microsoft Exchange. There is literally no better product out there in this regard.

It may be cost prohibitive for on-premise Exchange for many small businesses. Office 365 is a hosted Exchange option that is a good alternative for small businesses that still want the power of Exchange, but cannot afford the costs of installing and maintaining an on-premise instance of Exchange.
Read Kurt Ferguson's full review
Richard Crane profile photo
April 18, 2017

Review: "Microsoft Exchange is a Must for Outlook Users"

• Microsoft Exchange gives me complete access to my email and features. I can compose emails, use and manage email signatures, send attachments, etc. Everything I need, I can do it through Exchange.
  • Exchange gives my emails a more professional feel than using my phone or tablet to compose and send email. If I need a more polished, professional feel to my message, I like using Exchange.
  • I'm able to access my calendars, make appointments, set my out-of-office automated responses, and check my team's calendars through Exchange. I don't have to sacrifice any functionality.
  • Message formatting, especially with bullets and numbering, is compromised with Exchange. You can still do basic bullets and numbering, but you don't have the same look and feel [as] when using Outlook.
  • This isn't necessarily a complaint against Exchange, but just a fact. If you're using your personal device to access Exchange, you're not going to have access to all of your documents on your work device. So if you're looking for a document to attach, you need to have it on the device or in the cloud to access it.
  • I wouldn't want to use Exchange as my primary way to access my email. It's nice in a crunch, or if you're working from home or on the road, but Outlook is much easier for me to use.
I'd use Exchange when working from home or on the road when my work device is unavailable. If I have my work device and Outlook is available, that's what I'd prefer to use.
Read Richard Crane's full review
Aaron Itczak profile photo
March 27, 2017

Review: "Microsoft Exchange: A Great Tool for Business And/Or Personal Use"

• The threaded emails allow me to easily find and follow a conversation history when necessary.
  • I can easily add an email to my task list, calendar and contact information.
  • I shared a general email account with my team, and while my iPhone allowed me to easily set up my own Exchange account on it to check emails, the general/shared Exchange account could only be viewed from my phone. I was unable to reply to emails from my phone.
Microsoft Exchange contains all of the features needed from both business and personal communication aspects. It is a Microsoft product, so copying/pasting and formatting from other Office applications is seamless. I feel it comes down to user preference. Exchange is competitive and offers great features and integration offered by most email account providers.
Read Aaron Itczak's full review
Tim Goetz profile photo
March 28, 2017

Review: "Microsoft Exchange - there is no substitute!"

I use Microsoft Exchange for almost every aspect of my day to day business. From Emails to calendar appointments to synchronization to Salesforce, to the WebEx meeting connector. It is easy to use and I especially like the search features to find emails from prior dates. It is an all around total solution for my day to day business.
  • I like the integration with several business applications like Salesforce. Make for seamless workflow.
  • I like the search feature of past and current emails to be able to look up something with the ease of a search.
  • I like the integration of the Calendar to be able to set appointments and create WebEx meetings all in the one application. iI makes life easy.
  • Can't think of any improvements at this time.
Well suited in any business environment.
Read Tim Goetz's full review
Sue Tree profile photo
March 27, 2017

User Review: "Microsoft Exchange: good & bad"

Across entire organization for communication on and off site
  • Very easy to access off-site.
  • Intuitive to use.
  • Efficient in contacting multiple respondents.
  • Can be confusing if you're not used to it: I am.
  • Could have priority marks next to the email header.
  • For new users: could be easier to set up multiple recipients.
[It's] good in an institutional setting where it's used frequently, not so good for infrequent users.
Read Sue Tree's full review
Chris Hansen profile photo
March 22, 2017

"Microsoft Exchange Review"

Microsoft Exchange is used by everyone in our organization to manage email and our calendar and we recently upgraded to Office 365 to manage all our information company wide.
  • Exchange manages email well and is easy to use across multiple platforms including desktops, laptops, mobile phones and tablets.
  • I don't care for the default email setting that picks which emails to show you and buries others, but this is easily turned off.
Microsoft exchange is well suited for mid-size to large businesses that rely on heavy email traffic to operate.
Read Chris Hansen's full review
Dafna Laskin profile photo
March 17, 2017

Microsoft Exchange Review: "Just the Basics!"

It allows employees to access and utilize their email.
  • Good categorization of inbox folders
  • Allows to sort between important and unimportant emails
  • Nice expansion of other products particularly in terms of design items
  • Can sometimes load very slowly
  • Would prefer not to have all emails in a chain confined to one email in the inbox
Great for working remotely
Read Dafna Laskin's full review
April 11, 2017

Microsoft Exchange Review: "Robust Email System for real businesses."

Microsoft Exchange is used by several of our customers. It's an extremely robust email system that is easy to manage. From mobile device access to shared calendars; all of it is easy to use and offers businesses a great tool to enhance the way they do business.
  • You can easily manage end users' mailbox sizes with rules and archiving.
  • Keep track of all email with journal accounts. This can be huge when looking for an old, lost email.
  • Provides several ways to access email and calendars on all mobile devices. You can be connected and working wherever you are.
  • Keeping up with Office and Exchange versions can be a task. You really need to know what you are doing when migrating so you can avoid downtime.
  • The cost of Office and Exchange can certainly get up there at times. Great product, but not cheap.
  • Keeping up with patches and testing can be a hassle.
If email is important to your company and you need the tools to manage mailboxes, calendars, etc., then Microsoft Exchange is the go-to email software. For smaller companies, with smaller budgets, this type of system may not be the best.
March 28, 2017

Microsoft Exchange Review: "Exchang(e)ing my view and opinions ..."

Microsoft Exchange is used across our entire organization with tens of thousands of users connecting on a daily basis. Until about 5 years ago we had a predominantly on-premise environment and only made some use of OWA and mobiles (Blackberries and ActiveSync). We then decided to move into a cloud approach and have moved our core mail system to Office 365 hosted by Microsoft. Exchange is primarily used for email between employees and other stakeholders, but also for calendar bookings and of late for room management for our extensive meeting and video conference facilities.
  • I like the simplicity of the design. It fits in well with the other portions of Office 2016 and it is normally quite straightforward and easy to find - with some caveats...
  • There is a lot of support for Microsoft Exchange out there. If you have a simple issue you will easily find the answer by searching on the internet. This includes videos, forums and a wide variety of sources for help. Sometimes there are more than one answer for what might be wrong but then there are normally experts you can consult.
  • Microsoft has taken years to work on this product, and it probably provides the services that the market requires. I think it hardly sets a gold standard or benchmark in terms of innovation, but it is a good reference in terms of a stable and continuing evolving environment.
  • I believe in some areas the way that Microsoft calls stuff it does make it intuitive for users to find. When I need to find the right option to tweak I find that I am often searching for other terms and generally just browsing through the options available hoping to find one that makes sense.
  • With the advent of cloud I feel that Microsoft has been pushing quite heavily with cloud only options. The way this is implemented is not always that simple, and you might be in for a rough ride if you don't have the requisite infrastructure i.e. networks to support it. I suggest that most mailboxes should be set to only sync the latest 3-6 months worth of info, but I have run into some seriously unresolved issues when Microsoft deals with trying to resolve sync conflicts and doesn't do so very sharply.
  • I thoroughly dislike the new functionality around @mentions - from what I have read it doesn't seem possible to switch this off at the moment. This style of introducing new functionality without offering people the ability to remove it again is a big risk when a product is as embedded as Microsoft Exchange. This breaks the update cycles, and the ability of IT management to ensure a stable and consistent platform remains available.
I think Microsoft Exchange is good for medium to large enterprises, and especially if you are already interested in making use of Office 365. The level of integration and functionality between the Office productivity suite and Microsoft Exchange is useful and the recent addition of Skype for Business presents a reasonable offering. It should, however, be noted that the alternatives such as Gmail, and open source systems such as Ubuntu, Citadel, Open-Xchange, Zimbra and SOGo are starting to offer some real value.
March 17, 2017

Microsoft Exchange Review: "Who doesn't use Exchange?!?!"

Exchange is used our entire organization. We do have 2 branches, one in Seattle, WA and the other in Kansas City, MO, as well as a few employees who work onsite in a variety of states. Exchange is used to communicate with these employees all at once to make sure everyone receives the same information without having to call or spend money mailing various literature.
  • We use the calendar function the most. With 8 managing partners, and 40 staff members it helps us keep track of who is in the office, who is in a meeting and which conference room is being used. It is also used to keep track of who is using video conference so we can keep the streaming down during those moments.
  • I personally love that the email files you can create to organize your emails. I am balancing several different functions so it necessary to be able to quickly access and locate emails.
  • We use group emails the most. It is a great tool to have for our project managers. When you have larger projects with several different consultants and team members, it is easier to create a contact list of all those involved than to remember each persons email ever time you need to send something out.
  • When using a grouped email list, if you want to see who is in that list you have to expand it. However, a warning comes up that tells you once you expand it you cant collapse it. So the only way to verify who is in that list is to go into the properties of it and click through the list. It would be nice if the collapse feature was still available.
Jeremy Rochow profile photo
February 12, 2016

Review: "Microsoft Exchange - In House Extraordinaire"

Microsoft Exchange is currently being used by our entire organization for e-mail communication. We also use Microsoft Exchange for scheduling purposes within Outlook and for keeping track of contacts using Exchange ActiveSync. We recently also began using the built-in Exchange archiving feature, which has worked wonderfully at helping some of our users keep a better handle on their mailbox sizes.
  • Provides a platform that easily integrates with other Microsoft products, namely Outlook.
  • Provides built-in Exchange Mailbox archiving solutions that are easy to manage for both the user and the administrator.
  • The maintenance that is required as the organization grows can be difficult to keep up with (offline mailbox defragmenting).
  • A lot of the configuration work needs to be done in PowerShell now as opposed to the EMC, which might be difficult for some users.
Microsoft Exchange is well suited for an organization that would like to keep their e-mail and communication platform in house. That being said, it should not be used in very small environments, as the cost for Microsoft Exchange for a small organization (under 25) is too much compared to a hosted platform.
Read Jeremy Rochow's full review
Scotty Glover profile photo
December 10, 2015

User Review: "Microsoft Exchange"

Microsoft Exchange is our choice for our messaging platform. It is utilized by the entire organization (approx 45,000 seats). Microsoft Exchange provides a platform for communication as well as file sharing and collaboration. It also provides calendaring, contact management, task management, and notes management.
  • Calendaring - Exchange is great at managing meetings and appointments. It provides the ability to look at attendees' free/busy data so you can effectively plan meetings based on many busy schedules.
  • Web mail interface is easy to navigate and provides users with a rich experience. Many users do not require a fat client.
  • Mobility - Exchange provides the ability to synchronize your mobile devices with your account so you can easily take your mailbox with you.
  • Updating the environment can be cumbersome. As your environment grows the amount of time required to patch or update can be challenging.
  • Calendar corruption, we have experienced challenges with calendars staying sync' between mobile devices. Meeting corruption can be difficult to clean up.
Microsoft Exchange is an enterprise messaging solution. For smaller organizations this may be too much and they may not have the necessary resources to effectively administer the solution.
Read Scotty Glover's full review

About Microsoft Exchange

Microsoft Exchange Integrations

NovaBACKUP, Turbonomic (formerly VMTurbo)

Microsoft Exchange Technical Details