December 17, 2018
Score 8 out of 10
IBM Clound Functions are used to validate and analyze raw data that its arrival time and size hard to be predicted, since it depends on real world activities.
- Validate raw data files - check the validity of raw data input to the system, to make sure we analyze only the relevant data. The raw data stream rate is hard to be predicted, since it depends on real world activities.
- Analyze raw data - analyzing of valid raw data, described above.
- Insert data to LOCAL data base.
- APIs - cloud functions are charged based on usage time and needed computing power, when response time is something you can't enforce, like when using 3rd party APIs, you might pay for just waiting for reply.
- Services - when using function for services, make sure it is really needed ... sometimes a legacy VM service will do the best job.
- Programming languages - not all languages are supported (but you can run binary files if needed).
Read this authenticated review
Cloud functions are best for usage for infrequent or unpredicted events when you care about performance scalability and cost. Cloud functions are less appropriate when we running time depends on 3rd party and the functions might be waiting for a response for long periods, and are actually idling.