Overall Satisfaction with BambooHR
BambooHR has been a solid blanket HR solution for us. It provides the basics of managing our prospective hires and active employees, but it also goes far beyond that. It stores our HR documentation records, emergency contact information, personnel data, and work histories. It has a thorough system that allows for easy changes to job roles with an extensive history system. It allows us to manage hierarchies in multiple departments very easily. We also use it for managing time-off requests and time balances. It integrates with our scheduling solution, Deputy, behind the scenes in a seamless way thanks to its API features.
- It provides an extensive system for setting up time off accruals and managing their balances.
- It has a powerful system for managing user permissions to allow supervisors access to necessary areas and limit the access of employees.
- It provides a very useful set of auditing tools and reports, both for tracking changes to employee profiles and who made the changes.
- It has a clean UI that makes it easy for less tech-savvy users to interact with their HR data.
- It could use the ability to create default profile settings for new employees to allow them to default to having certain time off and permissions settings.
- The API could use some more work on the time tracking side of things. It is very limited in that area.
- The reporting is not as user-friendly as it could be and can feel tedious for less tech-savvy HR users.
- Managing the accurate accrual of time off benefits
- Managing and organizing HR information and emergency contact information
- Providing a way for managers to see who is out for a day and why
- Having an audit trail of an employee's work history, performance, reprimands, etc
- Reduced HR hours on filing/managing by 60-70%
- Streamlined Time Off requests significantly; Eliminated all miscommunications in under 2 months.
- Decreased onboarding time by nearly 4 hours per employee.
- Provided on-demand access to staffing/job data to all managers
- Deputy and Chronus
We ended up going with BambooHR because it handled its side of things smoothly and effectively, with a UI our team could use easily. We ended up pairing it with Deputy because Deputy handles the time clock, schedule management, and payroll side much more effectively, but didn't handle HR at all. They integrate behind the scenes for us to provide a comprehensive solution in our case. When we compared BambooHR to other solutions we found that overall it was less expensive than some of the other options, even with Deputy paired with it. Their support has been exceptional along the way, and their developer documentation is significant.
Do you think BambooHR delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with BambooHR's feature set?
Did BambooHR live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of BambooHR go as expected?
Would you buy BambooHR again?
Overall BambooHr has excelled in satisfying our needs. It performs well as a one-stop-shop for HR challenges. It has benefitted us as an excellent repository for personnel information both in processing prospective and new hires, as well as existing employees. It provides a fairly simple, but [the] straightforward system for managing and using time off. Some areas do need some work, however. There is no ability to set up a default set of time-off types/accruals for a new hire, which means this has to be done manually for each new employee. This creates a lot of opportunities for human error. It also has a very opaque and unhelpful API when it comes to the management of the time data; Whereas the rest of the API is exceptional. Lastly, the ability to request time off only allows for a flat number of hours in a day; it doesn't allow the employee to request specific times. As a result, we rely on the employee and manager to communicate the time successfully in the notes field. There is a big difference between arriving 1 hour late, leaving 1 hour early, and stepping out for an extended lunch.
BambooHR Feature Ratings
80 - We have a Chief Operating Officer, and a number of divisional managers who all use the system. Additionally we have 3 IT professionals who act as in-house support, and full system admins. We then have around 70 manufacturing staff who interact with the system to manage their personnel data and time off balances/requests.
3 - We have 3 skilled IT administrators with varied backgrounds in programming, UI/UX design, graphic design, and data analysis. They help our team get the most out of BambooHR when they may not understand how they can use the system to its fullest.
- Time Off Management (Accruals and Requests)
- Personnel Data (Work History, Emergency Info)
- Onboarding (New Hire Applications, HR paperwork)
- Who's Out Calendar to cover scheduling deficiencies
- Time Off alerts to supervisors/key employees
- Backend integration for payroll auditing
- Tracking performance plans
- Annual reviews
- Tracking cross-team training for promotion opportunities
Overall we have not had any reason to discontinue our use of BambooHR. We have not found a better solution, and there is no pressing reason that we would want to move away from the product. If they should fail to continue to improve their features over time, I could see this changing down the road, but for now I would say we are very satisfied with them. We would definitely like to see continued growth of their product however.