Microsoft Excel

Microsoft Excel Reviews

Do you work for this company? Learn how we help vendors

Josh Collier, Website Designer | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Microsoft Excel for so many things from personal to my small home business to my day job that I am an office manager at. Many times I will just use excel for quick calculations really not even to save the document, but I use it instead of the calculator quite often. I love Excel and am amazed by all the things it can do. I have personally made a custom payroll system to calculate payroll with all of the deductions and taking from one page and calculating to other pages. It was not an amazingly complex payroll system but it worked when you only had a few employees. I have used it to keep track of vacation days and also to keep track of union fees and dues in my day job. Pretty much anything accounting can be used for and it is really fun to be able to have a complex function with multiple lines that takes from many different pages. I love excel and my wife calls me a nerd for it.
  • I think it works really well for making home budgets especially if you are doing like an every dollar system.
  • It can easily be used to make simple invoices when you have a template.
  • Using it when you have said an American Express credit card invoice to break that invoice into the correct departments to be able to add to the correct account in your other accounting software works well.
  • I also use it for calculating my payroll tax.
  • There are probably some integrations from other data sources that pull the info automatically that could come in handy though.
  • There is very little I think it lacks, but I barely touch the surface of what it can do even though I am a decently skilled user.
I think really any small accounting things that aren't super complicated, would probably be faster and better to use than many other things. If you have a server that you can share the documents with other work colleagues I think it works very well. Though to have live sharing and changes of documents you need to have Microsoft 365 which is annoying that it is a subscription, where if you have office 2019 you can not do this. So if you don't have 365 Google Sheets may be a better option for making changes at the same time as it is free and close to Excel I just don't like it as well.
Very complicated things like doing payroll for 100 employees is probably not going to be the best thing to do with excel as there are going to be many better alternatives specifically made for that at an ok price.
But I would definitely recommend excel to anyone that has a small business as it is so versatile.
September 21, 2021

Excel excels!

Mike Baucom | TrustRadius Reviewer
Excel is an integral part of our business. Most file sharing, and data reports are all communicated through Excel. It is something I use every day. Other employees use the tool as well for various functions. We work with significant amounts of data and Excel makes our work so much simpler and streamlined.
  • De-Dupe
  • Filters
  • Text to columns
  • More tutorials on various functions
  • Simpler work around to "text stored as number"
  • Like to see some auto-reports available in future
It is ideal for data cleansing, file sharing, and reporting of data. The interface has gotten so much more advanced over the years it is a great tool we use daily. It is less appropriate for formal reports, or presentations. For imagery, graphics and key takeaway points you are better served using PowerPoint.
  • no training
I have not had to use it often, but it is good.
No down time, was easy update and did not disrupt our work.
Gregory Hunter | TrustRadius Reviewer
Excel is used in a number of ways. It takes data exported from other software packages and allows us to run more sophisticated analyses than we can with other software. We can also create various graphs and charts to better illlustrate the information we want to present.
  • standard spreadsheet work
  • charting and graphing
  • data analytics
  • data importation and manipulation
  • Excel is so comprehensive that it almost impossible to learn all of its capabilities
  • Help functionality is good but could be improved. the search functionality is limited.
Excel is excellent for creating spreadsheets and manipulating data. The downside is as the spreadsheets grow more complex the opportunity for formula errors and misinterpretation grows. Extreme care must be taken with very complex models to ensure data integrity.
It is used heavily within all our departments. Allows us to analyze quickly and effectively
  • Formula use is invaluable
  • Allows us to create tables and graphs
  • Allows quick visibility to data
  • Some formatting is confusing and must be tweaked to update information
  • Easier tutorials to follow
  • Suggestions for errors are very obtuse
We use it all day every day for analyzing financial data.
I would not use it for simple lists that do not need to be sorted, added, etc.
Mujtaba BALOCH | TrustRadius Reviewer
As for the uses and concerns of Microsoft Excel: it is being used in my department as well as my company's every department.

Microsoft Excel is an essential tool for all types and in all businesses, that are either small businesses or large ones. The spreadsheet tool stood at the top and the excellent ever seen items of this amazing software tool are being practiced in job sites all over the world. Acknowledging to appropriately use this software (MS Excel) adds great value to everyone in accomplishing a successful business and assets.

• In the case of practice in Microsoft Excel when you are not online, then your internal data set can be controlled by the Excel workbook. Furthermore, this empowers that list item data when the operator saves would be capable and to be stored within the workbook, which makes it easy to get to even if the user is offline. This avails the user the skill to edit the content despite the fact that he is offline.
  • Microsoft Excel is one of the advanced software tools specifically for the purposes of statistical analysis & visualizations, meanwhile many formulas are created and saved in Microsoft excel software. Microsoft Excel has tremendous features for any data/details required to get just use filters and search specific data to work on.
  • Microsoft Excel software provides auto-input functions that perceptively make users able to write the cells and rows, and that drags and expands the selection box. An additional feature for Microsoft Excel's attractiveness amongst all of the researchers is that the creation of charts is much easier to handle and control in Microsoft Excel Software.
  • Lots of business experts have experimented with software that is like Microsoft Excel, though a small number of users have only become proficient on this platform. Microsoft Excel is a complex software utilizing loads of functions and practicality underneath its surface, also this can look unapproachable to pick up. Nevertheless, Microsoft Excel cannot be concluded as tough to become trained in as lots of folks consider.
  • Microsoft Excel spreadsheets are not fitting for old data storage purposes. As soon as an association agrees to bring up to date the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet for handling it, then they might have to take the danger of losing massive extents of past data. Therefore, that vast data damage might make issues in data analysis and data comparisons, consequently creating it to a certain extent risky to ascertain developments.
  • Microsoft Excel makes available spreadsheet solutions. However, Microsoft Excel cannot simply share and is a challenging collaboration tool as soon as you and your group members are capable to open and work on a similar Excel workbook. Therefore, that we can title collaboration. Once you are a co-author, at that point you become able to see every person’s changes sharply in a period of seconds. Furthermore, with definite versions of Microsoft Excel, you will become able to see other people's picks in different colors. As a result, the collaboration tool needs to be updated according to other software available in the market for easy and more options for collaboration.
1. This software tool Microsoft Excel is available in a package with MS Office software and is convenient to set up. In Microsoft Excel, you can easily create spreadsheets and alter those according to your needs. Furthermore, you have the opportunity to make tables, charts, adjust cells, create formulas, etc. Microsoft Excel permits you to make very big/small data’s, reports and to accommodate easy work life.
2. Although working with massive and big data files, it hangs the system and is stuck for some time. Creating formulas in [Microsoft] Excel is a little bit uneasy and in that case, it needs some more classes and training to become skillful. In Microsoft Excel, there are very few templates to choose from, hence it has a shortage of lots of customization features. From time to time the application gets cracked and in consequence, it may leave the job unsaved which is disadvantageous. The collaboration feature in Microsoft Excel software is poor.

Microsoft Excel is used company wide with everything from production planning to accounting and shipping and receiving. Many of our documents are generated in Excel format and having the abilities to create formulas, vlookups and other formulas are essential to all aspects of our company. Excel is a important part of everyone's role.
  • Formulas
  • Invoices
  • Organization
  • Training tutorials
  • New user help
  • Additional formulas
Excel offers probably the best service and is the best software to use for data management purposes. The only improvement they can make is by adding some instructions or some process layouts so that new users can easily use and navigate through the application. I cannot think of a scenario where Excel isn't an appropriate tool.
Shehroz Akram | TrustRadius Reviewer
Software that we are using in our daily routine in our professional life, [the] scope of its usage is across the organization. The purpose of the usage of [Microsoft] Excel is to maintain records through data entry, perform basic and advance level analysis, comparison of data, show depiction by using charts and graphs that show valuable results.
  • Excel is the leading tool for data entry system.
  • It is used to prepare the summaries of huge data.
  • It makes easier to perform analysis by using its built in options such as pivot table.
  • First of all, there should be direction or navigation available to use the tools for the basic users.
  • Some tutorials or user guides maybe create values that can provide ease to the users.
  • There maybe some more criteria included to recover the lost files of excel.
Excel is best suitable when the user is maintaining the records, monthly summaries, and statements of their businesses.
It could be less appropriate to draft a message/memo or any other written document.

Besides, the options and available tools in [Microsoft] Excel cover most of the needs of the users which is remarkable.

Corey Olsen | TrustRadius Reviewer
We handle illustrations for Insurance companies and use Microsoft Excel for checking our computed results against what the client sends us. We use a lot of the functionality of the software to sort, compare, pivot tables, etc.
  • Organized data well, so you can find it quick
  • Pivot tables are extremely useful with the large amount of data we use
  • Filtering and sorting on particular columns of the data sheet is useful
  • I'm not a big fan of their find and search feature because it is hard to tell what cell the data is on that you searched for.
  • Can be slow or glitchy if you are working with big databases
  • Changing tab names can sometimes be cumbersome and not as easy as it should be.
Microsoft Excel is the gold-star spreadsheet data organizer. I have tried others, but my preferred is Excel. It does a good job of organizing large amounts of data and letting you quickly navigate through the file to find what your are looking for. My company depends on Excel to aid us in checking our calculated results against what our client sends us, so we can easily report discrepancies. There is a reason why it has been the dominant spreadsheet program for so long.
Jai Soni | TrustRadius Reviewer
MS Excel offers great support in analyzing numerical & alpha-numerical data. Our department is using this very frequently for our sales & customer data analysis. The best part of this software is the pivot table & v-lookup. Moreover, We can also add our own features/formulas. The help and support feature also covers almost all parts of the software. We can also generate MIS, reports, trends, charts, etc by MS Excel. It has also linked with Email, pdf, a printer which gives portability to the generated reports. I would report it best when we talk about user-friendliness.
  • Sales tracking
  • Customer analysis
  • Trend analysis
  • order status
  • material usage reports
  • shipment analysis
  • Toggle between Sheets
  • While analyzing complex formula, we cant find out where & which tab was used while pressing F-2
Pivot table, Charts & V-look up are best for analysis of given data. Excel cannot be used in the analysis of alphabetical/qualitative analysis.
However, the software is so vast that we can always quantify the values & perform the analysis.
Serena Ma | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Microsoft Excel daily for reporting, whether automated or ad hoc. In addition to Adobe Analytics, the Report Builder extension allows us to automate reports using Microsoft Excel to send to business stakeholders either hourly, daily, monthly, or quarterly. We use Microsoft Excel across a multitude of departments such as Marketing, Analytics, Finance, and more.
  • Reporting
  • Design
  • Automation
  • Easier shortcuts
Microsoft Excel is well suited for creating reports/spreadsheets/dashboards. Inputting formulas is easy and allows us to see information readily and easily. It is best to see reporting at a glance and is less optimal for reporting that needs to be constantly updated.
Syed Ali Hasnain | TrustRadius Reviewer
In my company, all departments use this software for record management and data analysis purposes. With the help of Excel, we solve many, even all problems, of data management and analysis. In my current company all data analysis and report management are being done in the Excel sheet. The sales department performs all sales analyses including sales forecasting, individual employee targets, and actual sales delivering in Excel sheets. The HR department manages all employees' personal and company data in Excel sheets. HR also runs the complete employee payroll cycle and prepares cost sheets in Excel. Further, the finance department manages all their financial data in Excel sheets. Total company budgeting is also managed in Excel sheets. If I described it in a summarized way, Excel performs all company tasks related to data. Either it is data recording, data analysis, forecasting, or financial reporting. Excel contains all the features which help you to perform all data-related tasks. This software also helps you to present data in a graphical way. It has multiple graph option including bar charts, pie charts, and trending lines of different data.
  • In Excel, it is very easy to manage extensive data.
  • In Excel, you can perform multiple analyses of your data, for better understanding.
  • In Excel, you have unlimited built-in formulas, which help you to perform all data analyses. Further, you can also collaborate on different formulas, as per your data analysis need.
  • In my opinion they should increase the limit of row and column cells.
  • Make formulas more simple for quick learning of new users.
  • Add built-in automation forms in software, like inventory and cost valuation, for ease of users.
Excel helps me in data management and data analysis. I am an HR Professional and I manage all company employees' data in Excel. Excel is very suitable for data management and data analysis. It helps me manage employee attendance, employee personal information, and company records. However, in some scenarios where you want complete automation form Excel is less appropriate to use. For example, I have to perform an appraisal for all company employees. For this purpose, I need to develop automation form, but despite my continuous effort I couldn't build complete automation form due to Excel's uncontrollable sheets, and sometimes data might get lost.
Microsoft Excel has everything we want to manage data and analyze for decision-making and presentations to our company board of directors. Excel solves every problem related to data management and data recording.
Alex Whittlesey | TrustRadius Reviewer
Excel is a critical tool for our organization in most departments and at all levels, but very heavily within our department. From the finance and accounting perspective, it is largely used for modeling. This includes business process models on the accounting side (loading journal entries, uploading calculating and uploading invoices based on data extracts) and predictive modeling on the finance side (modeling forecasts, customer retention, and cash flow analysis). We also produce reports using excel until development can be done to create these reports within business systems.
  • Modeling - very versatile in the way data can be summarized, calculated, compared
  • Loading data - easy to convert models into CSV files
  • Organizing data - able to created mini relational databases using lookup fields
  • Retaining formatting - it is challenging to keep the formatting the same when opening files
  • Identifying duplicates in a lookup
  • Creating warning when referential information is broken
Overall, the tool is pivotal to our organization. Modeling within excel is very powerful and flexible. Within a few hours, you can pull, summarize, and create a predictive model that can be used to make business decisions quickly. However, you have to know when you have overloaded the program. The system does not warn you well against formula errors or referential integrity which can lead to spreadsheet risk. One bad formula can do some real damage if left unchecked. Consider migrating complex models into more robust forecasting systems.
Qamar Abbas | TrustRadius Reviewer
It was really annoying for me and my team to update a whiteboard manually on a daily basis for aircraft maintenance forecasts. We started using Microsoft Excel for this purpose, shifted all maintenance activities onto a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, and it really worked for us. Microsoft Excel eased our daily routine and brought accuracy, competency, and authenticity to our work. It reduces the workload and extra burden on manpower. Moreover we can recall the previous maintenance records is a matter of seconds now, which was a time-consuming activity earlier. We calculate fuel consumption, flying hours, and component life in no time. I am enjoying my experience with Microsoft Excel with my team.
  • Microsoft Excel has a wide range of mathematical formulas to ease calculations.
  • It highlights the overdue activities for us--otherwise they would not be carried out in time.
  • Microsoft Excel requires less manpower and reduces the load on our HR department.
  • It's a fast and accurate medium to convert your important data on spreadsheets.
  • Microsoft Excel spreadsheets are a secure way to keep our data, as each spreadsheet can be password protected.
  • Its integration with other Microsoft tools is very easy.
  • Microsoft Excel always needs a comprehensive training to use its formulas correctly; an easy, step-by-step guideline procedure should be introduced instead of the current support system.
  • More offline features to be introduced for working on Microsoft Excel in the absence of internet connectivity.
  • While working on a spreadsheet, auto suggesting options for different formulas can make implementation of formulas easier.
Microsoft Excel is suitable for creating spreadsheets for more precise calculations. It can be used in a variety of workplaces--not specific for any industry, but can be used everywhere according to the requirements. It has the features to suit every organization, so Microsoft Excel is a need of all departments.
Kevin Clarke | TrustRadius Reviewer
Working in Compliance we use Excel for our initial dives for testing. It is very useful for going through samples data sets. Simple easy tools and formulas available in Excel make for an easy tool for quick analysis. When using our self-service BI tool I am able to pull data into excel and send it to other users as well making the communication of data simple.
  • Quick data analysis and formula creation
  • Graphs and charts for reporting
  • Great tool for running and checking calculations
  • Excel data capacity. Anytime a data set gets too large excel struggles to run.
  • Sharing capabilities are not as good as other systems. In that when working locally the inability to share without sending out emails.
Especially for users who are not as technically prepared as others. There are a lot of great tools for people who are more experienced, but Excel is a great starting point for anyone. Being a self-taught coder I learned the basics using Excel and VBA. These tools helped me to improve my analytical thinking process. I highly recommend it for anyone who is interested in data analytics because it is a great stepping stone.
August 04, 2021

Excel--still the best

Microsoft Excel is used throughout our entire financial department as an analysis tool. It is a well known user-friendly product that has been around for quite some time, so many of us have good training and practice with it. It can also handle large data files that other spreadsheet tools simply cannot manage. As a multinational company, there is a lot of data to include, so this is key. Pivot tables make simple work of large data sets.
  • Ability to handle large data sets
  • Easy-to-use formulas
  • Pivot tables that can work seamlessly with data modeling downloads
  • Organized and easy-to-follow help guidance for using formulas that are unfamiliar
  • Multi-user shared files are only available within networks specifically set up by IT departments within the same server. Cannot include out-of-company users. Web-based multi-user sharing on other platforms--specifically Google Sheets--has been invaluable.
Microsoft Excel is a detailed, well thought through product that has supported most of my analysis needs. It is great for handling things like large national sales and invoicing files. Easy-to-use pivot tables and graphing tools allow for quick analysis of trends and growth patterns. Linking graphs to PowerPoint allows for easy updates to share with other teams. So many good features--I cannot even list them all. Microsoft Excel has been the tool that I have used for 20+ years while others have come and gone.
Prashast Vaish | TrustRadius Reviewer
Microsoft Excel is being used across the organization for various purposes.
I particularly use Microsoft Excel for analysis and visualization.
It helps me find important insights and share it across with clients.
It is also used for data manipulation or aggregation of data. Other departments use it for data storage and sharing.
  • Data manipulation.
  • Data visualization.
  • Excel functions are super handy.
  • More data storage capability should be added
  • It slows down for large files
  • More graph options can be added
Microsoft Excel is well suited when you have a small data set and you want to do quick analysis and present it to client in form of a dashboard.
It is not well suited when you have a large data set because Excel cannot handle it and slows down. Overall it is good for short analysis.
We currently use Excel to manage projects and track data. Most of our departments leverage Excel for at least some part of their process.
  • Formatting
  • Formulas
  • Sorting
  • Multiple Sheet Reporting
The formula functionality of Excel is beyond any other product I have used. While it takes time to learn, it is extraordinary in its capability. With the formatting and design, I can make Excel look like anything I like. For presentations or for daily work, it is easy to adjust how it looks to understand what is being viewed.
Connor O'Hanlon | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Microsoft Excel for a variety of topics including client reporting, billing and and internal organization
  • Organizes data
  • formulas
  • creates graphs and charts for presentations
  • can be difficult for new users
  • advanced functions are hard to learn
  • can integrate better with other microsoft products
We use Microsoft for client report and it does a great job breaking down data that we can use in presentations for calls and meetings. It is less appropriate for small data sets
Shawn Dehner | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Microsoft Excel to generate specific state level energy code calculations for architectural purposes.
  • Excel is excellent for setting up calculations.
  • Excel does an excellent job of supporting Washington state energy code forms.
  • The export function could be improved. It is easy to use but not intuitive at first!
Excel is excellent for performing mathematical calculations for energy design in architecture. I use it extensively for state code compliance and PassivHaus design calculations.
September 14, 2021

Excel Changed our Lives

It is used across the whole organization, but mainly by my department. We use it to track metrics and trends. Some of my favorite features are the conditional formatting, and pivot tables, as well as allowing other sheets to communicate with each other. The other issue Excel addresses for us, is allowing us to stay organized and keep our data in one place.
  • Tables
  • Functionality
  • Conditional Formatting
  • Allow to conditionally format charts
  • Ease of macros
  • setting up things for exports
This is very good if you are tracking limited data, and can automate it. If you are tracking large amounts of data that cannot be automated for whatever reason, a different software should be used. Also, sometimes things go wrong with macros so if you do not have a background in programming it would be very hard to fix the issues if they are more complex.
[Microsoft] Excel is used extensively throughout our organization and across all the departments. The major reason for using is its ease of adding and maintaining data and the ability to analyze large amounts of data. Data organization becomes a lot easier and very useful for visual data representations. Formula features and Macros are precisely the major reasons for using [Microsoft] Excel widely.
  • Data organization
  • Formulas and Macros
  • Visual representation of data
  • Many formulas make it hard to learn
  • Only available in Windows and Mac OS
  • Cannot detect human error during data entry
[Microsoft] Excel is best suited for handling and organizing large amounts of data. For its analysis and visual representations. It is also widely used for tracking sales, creation of detailed reports, graphical representations, and for Finance & Accounting purposes. [Microsoft] Excel is not recommended for doing statistical analysis and it doesn't give the results with the required efficiency. It shouldn't be shared with the team to make updates simultaneously as this often causes data to be overwritten.
MS office is used on a daily basis for our production . The daily reports and data processing is done with the help of Excel . Now we are using the online version for share and collaborating data from peers. It is used by whole organization depending upon their functionality. It really helps in data managing in an organized manner. Processing data and the formulas makes it easy to work in excel .
  • Fast
  • Large data management
  • Ease of use
  • Need hands on to understand the tool
  • Good learner guides
  • More feature to be added in online excel
Data storage and processing is made easy . Excel can handle a huge amount of data in a single file. It feels like is have a unlimited in case of data storage. The main use for me is processing reports for projects and day to day activities. really helps to consolidate and provide results with data.
I am using Microsoft Excel for creating log sheets and industrial reports. Microsoft Excel is used in our organization for creating reports and data sheets.

I faced some problems in Microsoft Excel, like showing a formula instead of its results. One common problem I faced is the page break when I receive Excel files in printable format. This are common problems I am facing but there are also solutions to each one.
  • Data analysis
  • Time saving
  • Easy to use and understand
  • VLOOKUP
  • VBA
  • Dashboard
Microsoft Excel is easy-to-learn and easy-to-use software. It is well suited in almost every organization to keep and maintain data in organized way. It is also well suited for administrative work.

It is less appropriate in project management because it is time consuming and difficult to track the progress of running projects.

Microsoft Excel Scorecard Summary

What is Microsoft Excel?

Microsoft Excel is a spreadsheet application available as part of Microsoft 365 (Office 365), or standalone, in cloud-based and on-premise editions.

Microsoft Excel Pricing