Ins and Outs of Canvas
January 09, 2019
Ins and Outs of Canvas
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Canvas
We use canvas for both our students and faculty. We use it to supplement our course instruction so that there is an online learning component with our students and so they have access to course materials from anywhere. We also use canvas to provide required professional development courses for our faculty so they are able to complete them at their convenience and not be taken out of their classrooms.
- The landing page is very easy to understand and navigate to find courses.
- As an instructor, it is easy to setup my classes to include only the sections I need for my students.
- I would like to be able to add more creativity to my class page since I work with middle school students. I would like to be able to make it more inviting to keep them engaged.
- It can be difficult to navigate between pages when you go into a small group section. There are times when you simply have to go completely out of the class and start over.
- We have had difficulty accessing and printing student quizzes after they complete them to be able to include them in portfolios.
- We have had a positive impact for students to keep up with course work when absent.
- Our faculty enjoys having a platform to create extension activities to challenge students who wish to go above and beyond expectations.
- Once the classes are created in Canvas, we are able to share with others and reuse those materials.
Google Classroom and Canvas are very similar. We feel that Canvas is better suited for our older students and so we begin to introduce it at the middle school level. We utilize Google Classroom with our younger students as it is somewhat easier to navigate and understand for them. We find this approach helps our students be successful with both products.
Canvas is a great addition to our school. It has provided us with the opportunity to be able to reach students who are missing school for activities for illness, as well as provide extra content to those students who want to go above and beyond. Our students appreciate having access to course materials whenever they need it.
Canvas Feature Ratings
Evaluating Canvas and Competitors
- Product Features
- Product Reputation
We wanted to have the extra features for our high school students. Canvas was the best choice to be able to customize courses and link to other items on the web.
It takes some time to get used to how to navigate Canvas, but once you do it is very easy.
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Feel confident using