Best Virtual Classroom Tool

February 22, 2022

Reviewer Sentiment

Positive ()
Negative ()
Learn how we calculate reviewer sentiment

TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2022
TrustRadius Best of Award, Best Of Feature Set 2021

Assignments (48)

Social learning (42)

Course authoring (41)

Mobile friendly (47)

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Google Classroom, and make your voice heard!

Education Fundamentals

per student/per year

Teaching and Learning Upgrade

$4

per license/per month

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://edu.google.com/products/workspa…

Learning Management

What is Google Classroom?

Google Classroom Video

Google Classroom 101

Google Classroom Technical Details

How much does Google Classroom cost?

Google Classroom starts at $0.

What is Google Classroom's best feature?

Reviewers rate Assignments highest, with a score of 8.6.

Who uses Google Classroom?

The most common users of Google Classroom are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees) and the Education Management industry.

I use Google Classroom as a user. My college started in 2020, but because of the covid-19 pandemic, I was not able to take classes on campus. Then we started using Google Classroom as a virtual classroom for our college classes. Google Classroom is one of the best virtual classroom tools in the market.
  • It has an option "to-do list", I personally like this option because it shows us which assignments are given and when we have to submit them.
  • Google Classroom sends us emails all the time when our teachers update or add anything to the classroom.
  • It has mobile application so that we can use it at our comfort.
  • We can use all of the tools Google has with Google Classroom. For example- we can use Google Docs, Google Sheet, Google Form, Google Drive, etc with ease in Google Classroom.
  • There is another option as plagiarism checker which really help in the assignment.
  • Option "to-do list" takes a bit of time to refresh in the mobile application to show our given assignment.
Google Classroom is best suited for a virtual classroom. It is one of the best tools out there and we can use the Google Ecosystem (Google tools) with it at an ease to help and make learning better. Schools, colleges, and even personal tutors can use Google Classroom for online classes. If you are not sure about the paid version of Google Classroom you can even use its free version and check if it is best suited for you are not.
Armand Ruci | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have used Google Classroom since March 2020 with the closing of NYC public schools and all the teachers were forced to work remotely. This has been a great tool for me and many other Teachers because we post the work in the Google Classroom and then wait for the students to answer the questions. What I also like about the Google Classroom is the tabs where I can incorporate all the Unit lessons for my subject areas and have the students answer them on the platform.
  • Google Classroom does very well with its clean interface.
  • I love using the different tabs so that I can post different lessons on the website.
  • I love the integration with Google Meet as it is very important to communicate with students.
  • I think the interface needs a major uplift at some point.
  • Sometimes the Google Meet does crash.
  • Sometimes the website is not responsive.
Google Classroom has been the go-to place for online learning for myself and my students since the beginning of the pandemic in March 2020 and it does well in setting up lessons and units. Also, I think the integration with Google Meet does really simplify the learning process for the students. My only concern is the interface and I think that it does need a major face lift which should happen to make the website more user-friendly for everyone.
Subayyal Khan - SHRM-CP | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am using it for my training purposes and my 3-year-old daughter is using it, too.
This tool helped not only the students but also the teachers and trainers.
You can set the updates on the stream, check your classwork and interact with the people on the training easily during the session.
You can record the video and upload it for the trainees to see at a later stage.
  • Remote studying
  • Teacher and student interactions
  • Easy documents and timeline uploading
  • Session recording
  • Chat option
  • Naming the sessions of the training or class and uploading the data within
It helps my 3-year-old, why can't it help the elder learners?
Google Classroom serves as our academic management system for the whole university's campus. Each professor has their own Google Classroom, and every student gets online access to all of their classes using Google Classroom. Students are extremely comfortable with how Google Classroom works, and teachers can segments and sub and access all student activity.
  • Google Classroom is a great website for managing and organizing learning. i
  • It is simple to use for interface.
  • It interacts with a wide range of apps and websites; effortlessly shares, collects, and grades Google Workspace documents.
  • The young students, they usually need an adult to read tabs for them to understand; a totally visual interface would be better.
  • Using an application on a mobile device causes some lagging.
  • Not all applications make it simple to assign assignments using Google Classroom.
Google Classroom is one of the most effective and user-friendly online learning platforms for distance learning. It is a digital learning that is considerably more simple, inexpensive, and accessible for teachers, students, parents, and administrators alike. It's free, utilizes Google services like Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides, making Google Classroom simple to use and easy to share information, and helps ease student work evaluation. Up to this point, I haven't had any issues with it; I always find it simple to use but for the young students, they usually need an adult to read tabs for them to understand; a totally visual interface would be better.
June 09, 2021

Ai Ashe | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is the learning management system used by my school system. It is being used throughout the entire organization: K-12.
  • Simple to use
  • Google Quiz
  • Interconnectivity with many other learning apps
  • More user customization; e.g. Google Sites
  • Able to schedule; not post the same assignment across multiple classes
  • More tools to create custom rubrics
Well suited as a learning management system for K-12 schools. Not suited for higher education or business/corporate use
Rachel Piper | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Classroom is our educational managing system for the entire middle school on campus. Each teacher manages their own Google Classroom, and every student has access to all of their classes online via Google Classroom. Students are very familiar with the workings of Google Classroom and teachers are able to micro-manage and access all student activities. As a team lead, I am able to see all middle school classes in the event I have to problem solve.
  • Teachers have immediate access to all student assignments.
  • Live feedback and gradebook syncing.
  • Real time announcements.
  • Google calendar syncing to keep students on top of due dates.
  • There is definitely a learning curve and students benefit from explicit instructions
Google Classroom has completely changed my classroom, especially through remote learning. I'm not sure how my students would have survived received an education through COVID without it. I am able to upload directions, assignments, announcements, etc. immediately to ensure all students have access. I can see what students are changing on documents in live time, give them live feedback, and they immediately receive their grade back. It has even supported their social interactions by allowing them to comment and post to eachother!
Syed Tauqeer Haider Rizvi | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Classroom is very easy e-learning platform. Last year in COVID-19 lockdown I used this application for my nephew to attend his online school classes. You can easily move between all the lectures you have, whether you are using the application as teacher or student without any problems. Lectures will keep you informed of news about the limit and schedule you have and will always remind you of updates received. Mail alert makes it very easy for users if something new updates in application.

• Easy interface which every one can understand easily
  • Everyone has a code for attending lectures
  • Keeps me informed about the news and schedule of lectures
  • Mail alert system for any new updates in application
  • Video streaming problem
  • Voice lacking problem
  • Using application through mobile hangs little bit
  • Not all features are supported on mobile applications
Google Classroom's interface is very easy and understandable. You can find your classmates, assignments in the classrooms, and Stream where you can ask questions or talk to teachers and classmates. Sharing and downloading files is made very easy through this application. Code-protected classes secure both students and teachers; good e-learning platform.
Gabrielle Wayman | TrustRadius Reviewer
We worked with the staff and teachers to implement Google Classroom at the start of the 2020-21 school year as a solution to the new remote learning environment. Students and parents needed an organized, engaging digital environment that behaved predictably and is easy to navigate.
  • Organizing discussion threads
  • Easily accessible tabs for learning material categories
  • Customizable “fun” interface
  • We would like to see more time-related progress tracking
  • Young students still need an adult to read tabs to them—an option for a fully visual interface would be nice
Google Classroom is a great solution for remote learning when school budgets don’t allow for more robust platform purchases, such as Blackboard. It’s free! It’s customizable, but you’ll need to get a small group of users/teachers trained up on all the nuances so they can be your Champion group and help the other teachers. Love the ability to set slides as landing pages for a fun classroom picture. Kids enjoy the autonomy they have but struggle with remembering to complete all assignments if they don’t have more direct supervision. Lots of integration with other tools like Kira to allow for writing exercises and assignment submission. It’s a great stop-gap for schools not intending to remain in a remote setting, a permanent solution for organizations with low budgets that are fully remote, but not my first choice if you have a software budget and are operating fully remote at all times.
I use Google Classroom for my online meetings with my students and for online lectures. Google Classroom is very useful for a classroom involving a larger group of students. Many of my colleagues and friends across the campus use Google Classroom for their online teaching and for meetings. It helps to make the online classes run smoothly.
  • It is easy to add larger group of students.
  • Easy to setup online meetings.
  • Easy to share files and presentations.
  • So far, I have not faced any problem with it; I always find it easy to use.
Google Classroom is well suited for online presentations where one can deliver the lecture to a larger group of students. It is also useful if an instructor has to schedule meetings with students. It is very easy for an instructor to upload the study material into Google Classroom which students can easily access.
Our district is currently using Google Classroom as an educational platform for face-to-face learning, hybrid learning, and distance learning. Google Classroom is an easy-to-use way to push assignments to students and record grades. Teachers are able to assign multiple avenues of learning in one spot for the students to access. Google Classroom not only gives you realtime data, keeps up with missing assignments, and grades assignments, but it also gives you a private spot to conference with the students about lessons and let the students collaborate with each other other on assignments.
  • Organizes information by topics for user-friendly access
  • Grade assignments for students, giving them instant feedback
  • Works with so many other educational websites, making linking assignments easy!
  • Checklist within the topics for the teacher to mark off assignments the students have finished
  • Automatic notice to students when they have missing work or assignments due
  • Teacher dashboard for a quick glance at the week or day (grades, assignments, class progress, etc.)
Google Classroom is best suited in any class situation! I have taught hybrid, face-to-face, and distance this year and used Google Classroom every step of the way! It has been very easy for my middle/upper elementary students to get used to using daily. I would definitely think with practice that even the very young grades could use it daily.
Ian Hansen | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Classroom has solved a lot of the issues during COVID of making sure all assignments were in one place for our school clients that were all working through the tough changes from a pandemic. We helped implement it in many schools that we continue to support. Its integration with existing Active Directory made it very easy to add on, plus Google providing it as a free service for schools.
  • Assignment tracking
  • Collaboration of teams together
  • Organization and integration of assignments and documents
  • Permissions to non-Google users is not always intuitive
  • Managing permissions to resources outside of the organization could be improved
  • Chromebook tracking features could be improved
Lower-aged schools should look for something more like Seesaw, that's a bit easier for younger ages, but for middle and high school aged students and classrooms, Google Classroom is very good due to tying into the Google G-Suite for EDU and integration with Chromebooks and Active Directory. If looking to save on costs, this is a strong candidate.
When the COVID-19 crisis began, one of the institutions I work with began using Google Classroom in lieu of a dedicated learning management system. It is being used in at least one of the colleges at a university, but I do not know if it has spread to every college. It is being used in every department. The business problem [it] was chosen to address was the problem of conducting educational activities remotely: neither students nor faculty have been able to go to campus(es) freely, and so all educational activities need to be conducted remotely. Many of the users, both students and professors, are neither technically sophisticated nor experienced with using computerized devices in ways beyond email, popular Web applications, and some Microsoft Office products.
The Google Classroom system is now in its second year of use, and the problems manifested in the first year continue in the second. However, it is not clear whether those problems are inherent in Google Classroom or are products of administrative decisions.
The lone problem it addresses is allowing all people involved in education here to communicate asynchronously with a relatively shallow learning curve, although it currently functions only as a stopgap and cannot function as a long-term solution.
  • The system is relatively easy to begin with.
  • It is integrated with Google Drive and Google Docs, which makes recycling relatively easy.
  • It is platform-independent.
  • It is relatively speedy.
  • Tests and quizzes (in my experience) are primitive and do not allow modern testing techniques involving IRT.
  • Recycling of materials is, at best, counterintuitive.
  • Formation of subgroups is difficult.
Google Classroom is well suited for organizations without extensive computer infrastructure, as most of the storage and organization is handled in the Google system.
In the system I am experienced with (as an instructor and an observing administrator), student users have too much control over their own accounts, so that it is sometimes not clear who particular students are or, indeed, if they are supposed to be in the class or not. For schools and internal training programs in which the identity of participants is known beforehand, almost any other learning management system would be a better choice.
For simple sharing of documents, primitive tests, and collecting information from and distributing information to people, Google Classroom is adequate.
Google Classroom support resembles other Google support inasmuch as it is only skeletal.
Google Classroom is used as a content management system in our institution, since our institution is an engineering college that carves professionals, we use this application for helping our students to attend online classes with the help of Google Meet which is integrated in Google Classroom. With the help of this platform we deliver notes, provide them assignments, conduct online tests, etc. Our college has five departments, and for every subjects in each department we are keeping different Google Classrooms.
  • If we register Google Classroom with our organization's mail ID we can use the integrated Google Meet for conducting online meetings, online classes, etc, but if we are using our personal mail ID for creating a classroom then we need G-Suite for setting up Google Meet.
  • We can perform different online classwork like assignments, quizzes, and also we can conduct online exams with a proper grading system.
  • Each of the classrooms created will be associated with a separate class code, we can simply share this class code to the students and with the help of this code they can easily join our class. Another method is we can add students by manually entering their mail ID.
  • The default integration of Google Meet is absent if we are creating the classroom using our personal mail ID, and for integration we need G-Suite and we need to pay for it.
  • The UI could be little more appealing, since the existing platform uses very simple and basic UI.
  • Uninterrupted internet connection is required for proper working.
If we are considering an educational institution, Google Classroom could be a perfect choice as a content management system. It is not required to pay for using this platform since it is a free service given by Google for educational systems. It is not suited as a human resource management systems (HRMS), since it is purely built as an LMS/CMS.
Since this platform is provided by Google, the technical support is better than any others, and we are not required to bother about the space constraints for adding the contents. If we have a good uninterrupted internet facility we can access Google Classroom without any delay or lag. They have app support in both Android and iPhone.
We use Google Classroom every day in the classroom and it has become increasingly more helpful and important now that we must do digital learning from home. It makes assigning, correcting and commenting on work so much easier. It also allows sharing messages to one, or multiple classes, which is helpful right now as well.
  • Communicating with students
  • Correcting work
  • Grading
  • Maybe update the look of it, appears a little old.
  • I can’t make a document for everyone after I have posted it so I have to delete it and start over.
  • Can be glitchy at times.
This is well suited for individualized learning, small classes, big classes, and everything in between. It is easy to use and the kids enjoy it. I appreciate that I can do discussion and assign projects to certain students and not others. I also enjoy that I am able to access all my drive documents from this one site and add them and distribute them to my students at one time.
I have never had a problem with Google Classroom specifically but I know that Google, in general, has a well-staffed support team.
We use Google Classroom in our faculty to share notes with students who are absent and to ensure that official notifications of assessment tasks are delivered to students simultaneously, even if they are not present to receive hard copies due to illness or other factors affecting their attendance. The main problem it solves for me is a sure guarantee that students have access to resources when they need them.
  • It allows me to share files with all of my students regardless of their location.
  • It notifies my students via email when I share a resource or file with them.
  • It allows me to verify the time and date of the release of information.
  • I don't seem to get email notification when my students post into the classroom.
  • The ability to record voice and/or video messages easily and directly into Google classroom would be great. I would love to be able to stream and store my lessons in Google Classroom!
It's ideal for sharing resources with students. It is less appropriate for classes that need intensive explicit teaching of concepts because it lacks a convenient way to record video.
I tried to find a solution to why I would not receive email notifications as the classroom teacher when my students posted anything in the classroom stream and I was unable to find it or any simple way to access such help if it did exist.
Google Classroom is used just as the title suggests - it's a classroom within a classroom. Teachers create virtual classrooms for each class period and post assignments, create discussions, assign homework just like they would do in a regular classroom. Only with Google Classroom, it is done in virtual space, which allows for everyone - even students with attendance issues - to be an active participant in the class.
  • It allows for collaboration between students in virtual space that mimics that of the real classroom.
  • Allows for a variety of tools (i.e., educational apps) to be listed for use by students in one centralized space.
  • It is connecting to the district's learning management system to make the grade transfer process easy.
  • They are making it easier for parents/guardians to sign up for the account and monitor student learning.
Google Classroom is well suited for all modern educators because it allows us to stay current with technological advancements in the times we live in. Our students are more tech-savvy than ever, with phones and tablets persistent in the classrooms. Our students are online more often than they are offline, and to reach them, we need to get our classrooms online, which is precisely what Google Classroom does.
Google Classroom is integrated with other Google Apps, which are often used by teachers frequently. This makes Google Classroom appear more familiar, which is a massive plus for older, less tech-savvy educators. They know how to find help for Google products, making it easy to do so for Google Classroom. As a school, we did not need to reach out for support because most people were able to figure it out on their own or with the help of colleagues.
While Google Classroom is being used by a group of teachers at our School, it is not being used by all. Google Classroom has some excellent features in terms of students being able to add reflection notes with ease, to assigning/providing feedback and receiving assignment submissions (and automatically organizing them in Google Drive) and integrating with other Google Products. This really helps our Faculty manage and organize the online version of their course.
  • Integration with the GSuite of products is excellent - the automatic creation of folder structures is a huge time saver and organizational benefit.
  • From a student experience perspective, it is very intuitive and easy to use (and is the same login provided your school is a GSuite school).
  • Google Classroom lacks any meaningful integration with the major SIS providers - meaning marks/etc. are hard to pass back to gradebooks and onto report cards.
  • The grading options are limited - if your school uses IB, or AP, or standards based learning you may struggle to setup the grading features accurately.
Google Classroom is well suited to a secondary school environment where the goal is to go paperless in terms of assignments, where teachers would benefit from automated organization help and where a fully functioning LMS that is integrated with an SIS is not available. This product is less suitable in a primary years environment.
Google support, much like in all the GSuite products, is very good. Chat/Email/Phone is readily available and response times are quite quick. Unlike other products, you do not have a dedicated account manager or likewise, and feature improvements requests tend to be generally ignored; whereas other LMS providers encourage and act on customer feedback, Google does its own thing.
Shelise Hague | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Google Classroom on a daily basis with my students. They are able to log in and check their work. In addition, I assign them various tasks to complete. My team teacher and I work together to keep track of the students' work. The students are able to check their progress and even work from home as needed. I love using this platform in my teaching.
  • Access to the work from home or at school
  • Work can be graded from home or at work.
  • Not all programs make it easy to assign through Google Classroom.
  • Some students do not have technology at home to access the Classroom.
Google Classroom works well in my classroom for students who need to be able to work independently. Students who do not have technology at home can struggle to complete all the work. Google Classroom is also a great tool when I have a substitute teacher, because I can create and monitor assignments while not in the classroom. Students can be independent and work.
I am able to use Google Classroom easily. I have yet to need support.
I use Google Classroom to share links and assignments with my students on a weekly basis. Many of my other coworkers also use Google Classroom to share electronic material with their students. The biggest problem it helps to solve is sharing content with students when they are absent. Any day a student is not in school, they are able to log on at home and see what material they missed for the day.
  • Easy communication with students and co-teachers via email.
  • Easy to post new content and material.
  • Tutorial lessons on how to use it.
  • Update for teachers to see who has viewed and opened content.
Google Classroom is very user-friendly and easy to figure out. My students are familiar with it and easily integrated when signing up. Google Classroom does a great job of communicating new content to students via email. It would be even more helpful if they would receive SMS messaging through Google Classroom when new content is available.
It has some tutorials to help get you started. It is very user-friendly.
February 09, 2020

Classroom for Educators!

My entire school district, which consists of 30+ elementary, middle, and high schools, uses Google Classroom to manage student materials and assignments. Our students and teachers all have individual accounts for Google Classroom that allow us to share and organize classroom materials. Google Classroom helps eliminate the need for paper copies of materials and assignments and also makes doing or grading work convenient since these materials and assignments can be accessed anywhere there’s an internet connection. As a teacher, I love not having to carry stacks of essays with me everywhere I go. I also love that Google Classroom archives everything so I can always go back to a student’s work.
  • Allows individual “classrooms” or groups to be made to manage different groups of individuals.
  • Makes adding materials and documents easy by pulling easily from Google Drive.
  • I’d like to be able to schedule assignments for three different groups at once instead of having to go into each classroom individually.
  • It would be nice for the chat feature to be able to be turned off by the teacher/administrator on shared documents.
  • Perfect for classroom use when sharing materials that all students will need.
  • The quiz mode is great to use when trying to keep students from getting other websites during assessments.
  • It’s great that as a teacher I can always check in on the progress of my students as they work on an assignment.

When my district had issues they are resolved quickly.
Google Classroom is a program that is available to everyone in my organization; however, not everyone chooses to use it. Typically, it is used to post assignments, have students turn in assignments, and communicate with them and their parents effectively. In regards to business problems being addressed, Google Classroom makes managing the classroom much easier than with pen and paper (and it's good for the environment!).
  • Organization
  • Engagement
  • Limited integration
  • Editing problems
  • One scenario where Google Classroom is well suited is in having students respond to a prompt at the beginning of each class. Students log into the computers, go to Google Classroom, and see the prompt posted in "stream" or under "classwork." Depending on the settings, students can then comment on each other's posts, enabling a sense of collaboration with the students.
  • One scenario where Google Classroom is less appropriate is on an assignment with Google Slides. It becomes a bit wonky for students to access each time they are working on the assignment, and I have found that they frequently get lost trying to return to it.
Up until this point, I have had no issues working with Google Classroom. It is due to this that I believe I do not have enough sufficient evidence to rate the overall support. However, I do find that if there is a question I have, I can search it in Google's search engine, and results immediately pop up. So, if this counts as overall support, I would give it a 10.
Michelle McKenney | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Classroom is part of the educational suite of products our district uses. It allows for seemless collaboration between teachers and students. It provides a real-time platform for sharing information and with the available extensions it even allows for easy review and grading of assignments. It is an invaluable tool that is cost-effective.
  • Seemless collaboration
  • Ease of grading
  • Uploading of documents can be glitchy when using Google Docs.
  • Classroom management tools could be improved.
It works great in the educational or training environment. It may be less suites for other cooperate uses.
Best value for the features offered. It provides all of the tools needed to collaborate with students, and it is user-friendly.
Amy Westby | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Google Classroom as a way to connect our students to online learning. It's been a great feature to let multiple staff members join in with a cohort of students to add assignments or communicate with students. We also use it to schedule assignments and keep students accountable for keeping track of their workload.
  • Classroom content management is excellent in Google Classroom.
  • Coordinating a cohort of students among many staff members is easy.
  • Filtering assignments to search for could be easier.
  • The ability to quickly poll a class.
Google Classroom is perfect for an educational environment in which multiple staff members are working with a group of students. It's also fantastic for creating assignments and making sure students are on task with their work.
We haven't needed to use a lot of support. Their FAQ page is very helpful to find the right link to answer a question. There are also many good tutorials on YouTube.
December 11, 2019

Jack of all trades

Google classroom is being used in our device-agnostic environment to help meet the needs of student and staff training and classroom work. We do most of our staff development through google classroom. Staff are trained on it and use it in their classrooms on a daily basis. The management is made easy because of the Google backend.
  • Creating a paperless environment for staff and students
  • Helps keep the students organized by tying in with email and calendar.
  • Easy for teachers to setup and use.
  • Sometimes there are small glitches with file types on attachments.
Google classroom can be adapted very easily to suit the needs of staff development in any industry.
November 22, 2019

Google Classroom Review

Google Classroom is currently being used in several of our classrooms throughout our school, but mostly in the classrooms grades 5-8. We use it for our students to access some assignments and to communicate with the students. It provides them with updates to the curriculum as soon as a change is made.
  • It gives us a good way for the students and teachers to communicate.
  • Keeps class content ordered.
  • Easy to set up.
  • Have to manually transfer grades to the school's gradebook.
  • The interface could be designed a little better.
Google classroom works well in most classroom settings. Any time where there is a need for one person to communicate with several other people is probably where google classroom could be incorporated. It's mainly designed for the classroom setting, though. It could also work if you were hosting a workshop where you wanted people to access your handouts and then turn them back in.
I gave the overall support for Google Classroom an 8 out of 10 because there have only been a couple of times where my questions haven't been answered when I have needed their help. For the most part, they have been able to help out with whatever help I needed.