A Must Have for Consulting
October 16, 2019
A Must Have for Consulting
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Harvest
I was a part of a small engineering consulting group that used Harvest for time and expense tracking as well as tracking budgets for specific projects. We used Harvest for both Time & Materials projects and Firm Fixed projects. Everyone in the company used it for tracking their hours spent on each project. Project lead and managers used Harvest for making sure each project was on budgetary schedule. The owner of the company also looked at the reports generated from Harvest.
- Easy to use for everyone in the organization.
- The reporting that can be done for projects, clients, and employees is really helpful.
- You can use a mobile app, desktop app, or the website to do expenses and time tracking.
- The expense reporting is much easier than any other solution I have used.
- The interface and expense reporting doesn't allow you to do much customization if you need specifics.
- The desktop app is very basic so everyone in our company just had a tab open in a browser for Harvest.
- Some of the admin features like adding/removing people from projects and defining their roles is not intuitive.
- Our company relied heavily on Harvest and used it for all projects.
- The ease of use meant we could focus on billable work or generating new business rather than back-end tracking and reporting.
- Using Harvest let us quickly know which projects and clients were profitable for us and which we needed to re-evaluate.
I currently use Daptiv PPM by Changepoint for time tracking and it is a much less enjoyable experience than using Harvest. It does allow some more customization but the user interface is much worse and it is difficult to search and organize based on projects. We used Harvest to track individual tasks within a project but Daptiv is just tracking overall time for each project.
I never actually used the support for Harvest. The company probably did when we first signed up for it but it's so intuitive that we didn't need it within the 4 years of me being with the company.
Do you think Harvest delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Harvest's feature set?
Did Harvest live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Harvest go as expected?
I wasn't involved with the implementation phase
Would you buy Harvest again?
If you are an individual consultant or a small company who needs to be able to track spending/hours on a variety of projects then Harvest seems like the gold standard to use. There is minimal setup and it comes with a variety of useful tools out of the box that can get you started right away. It becomes less appropriate as the company gets very large and needs a lot more customization for reporting, expenses, etc. If it has what you need out of the box, great, but if you need anything else then customization makes it worth looking elsewhere.