Harvest Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Sarah Porter profile photo
All employees use Harvest to reflect time worked on projects for clients. Our whole organization uses it. We use it as a tool to show clients how much time is used to complete projects, requests, and brainstorming. This answers the question clearly for ourselves and our clients; which is helpful when we decide on how much to charge clients for projects.
  • Offers several options on using the tool, for example, you can use the app on your phone, the app for desktop, or simply have the website open.
  • The timer integrates with other platforms. For example, our team uses Asana as our project management tool. Now, in real-time, I can know which projects my team is working on and whether we're implementing good time management strategies to meet our goals.
  • The summary break downs are wonderful! You can view an individual's hours as well as project hours. There are even notifications you could receive when your team is getting close to reaching the allotted time for a client's project.
  • Personally, I don't care for the app on the desktop. It might be my computer, but it times out frequently. I do, however, like the function that it'll notice you've been away from your desk (idle) and gives you options to remove that time or keep the time.
  • Maybe have templates people could build for themselves! I add the same first three time entries daily, they're tasks that I do throughout the day that I start & stop. It'd be nice if they're built into my own 'daily template' so that I wouldn't have to manually add them daily.
A project with many people working on it can be broken down into manageable chunks of time that can be TRACKED! It's nice that all of us on that project will receive a notification if we're close to the time allocated for that project, this way we need to speed up what is remaining for the project and stop brainstorming and get creating!

We do NOT use Harvest for tracking employee hours for the day. We don't use it as a time card tracking purpose when used that way, it becomes too cumbersome and we found it could water down actual time worked on projects, because people will utilize project time for bathroom use, coffee refills, etc.
Read Sarah Porter's full review
Laura Cain profile photo
Our entire organization uses Harvest. For one, it gives us a good idea of how much time on average each employee is working in a given week. Most importantly, however, it gives us a good idea of work is being spread across clients - are we spending too much time on a certain client, or not enough on another? Additionally, we compare the time data to revenue data to see if there is anything to learn or improve from our pricing model.
  • Consistently making updates to better serve their wide variety of users
  • Allows for a decent amount of customization - you can put in different tasks for different departments, you can put in project costs on a one-time or recurring basis to compare time to money, etc.
  • It's pretty easy to pull customizable reports to fit what data you want to look at.
  • Sometimes it can be difficult to find the item that you're looking for, as there are tabs for time, projects, team, reports etc. and it's not always clear where the item you're looking for will be housed.
  • It would be nice if things could be broken out more clearly by department, as sometimes the entire organization will be added to a new project when really only a couple of people should have.
Harvest is pretty customizable to your needs, and even if you don't do any sort of performance reviews around time tracking (we don't), it's a very helpful tool to give insights on how time is being spent. Additionally, it's given us insights that we wouldn't have even expected, like that reports were taking significantly longer than they should have to build, which led us to implementing a new tool to help streamline report building.
Read Laura Cain's full review
Brie Goumaz profile photo
Harvest is how my company managers multiple clients as a digital marketing company. I am able to send invoices, and track time all in one location. Not only can you send detailed invoices for hourly clients but you can auto send retainers. Some of my clients also don’t want to think about paying their bill each month so they opted into auto pay which takes out the money each month for them.
  • Billing
  • Time tracker
  • Managing clients
  • Autopay could be easier to implement.
If you need a way to time yourself and have multiple clients who pay in different ways then Harvest is great for you. You don’t have to create invoices every month, as they can be auto created and sent. This wouldn’t be for you if didn’t need a timer to go along with your invoicing.
Read Brie Goumaz's full review
Joe Hallissey profile photo
As our non-profit continues to grow both in mission and personnel, senior leadership desired to understand how some key groups spent their time. Specifically, how many work hours are spent on revenue vs. non-revenue projects. Harvest has helped quickly and easily provide reports to back up what were a rough estimation of hours spent on projects in the past.
  • Track time -- it just works. From starting and stopping a timer to entering hours after the fact, Harvest is a quick and easy solution for time tracking needs.
  • Setting up clients, projects, and tasks. Within your dashboard, there's a top-level tab to show all your open projects by client. Each project can be opened to drill down to tasks, budget, and people assigned.
  • Reporting -- whether you need a very basic report like us, or something more complex, Harvest has it all. From the reports tab, you can easily sort by person, task, project, and more.
  • Good pricing. At only $12 per month/user, it can fit in the budgets of even the smallest organizations that need time tracking.
  • No way to batch assign time to multiple employees. As a "project manager" within the system, I can go into any employee's timesheet and add or remove hours, but a situation I frequently face is that several employees are all working on the same task. I wish there was a way to assign them all the same entry in one go.
If you are a freelancer or a small team looking to track time worked across projects, then Harvest is a good tool for you. It easily allows each person to select the client, project, and task with enough flexibility for a variety of use cases. Admins can choose what tasks are shown on a per-project basis or standardize across all projects.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if Harvest is the right tool for large organizations. There are too many small things an admin needs to do to each project/client that it would be difficult to do so across many people and clients.
Read Joe Hallissey's full review
Erin Harris profile photo
Harvest is used by the owner of Cantle Tech, Inc. so she can control payment to her employees and how many hours and time to bill individual clients and projects. It's easy for her to manage and it's easier for me to track my time through this online portal than to create and manage individual invoices for hours worked on various projects.
  • Specific project tracking
  • Daily hour tracking
  • Historical time tracking
  • I need to put in quarters, military time (.25, .5, .75) as opposed to time quarters (.15, .3, .45) which confuses me.
  • I need to have the owner often assign me to a project that I've been working on before I can put the row in my list of projects.
Harvest is well suited for teams that are located in different geographic areas. My time is communicated remotely through the system easily as long as I'm connected to the internet, I can track my time and it's instantly sent to my manager. It's easy to use and it's not overwhelming to manage and keep up with.
Read Erin Harris's full review
Lynzee Jablonka profile photo
Harvest is used by everyone at our agency. We use it to track our time and productivity as well as managing scopes of projects to monitor profitability. Harvest allows us to get a better understanding of the time restraints and requirements associated with each type of campaign or project our agency takes on.
  • Integrates with other project management apps (i.e Asana)
  • Allows us to allocate specific amounts of time to various tasks
  • Gives the managers a better sense of what part of our process is most time consuming
  • The mobile app lacks a lot of the functionality that the website offers, if I were to change anything, I'd definitely update the mobile app
Any time that you need to track hours to compare billable/nonbillable time or manage profitability, Harvest can be helpful. I'd imagine most agencies need to make sure their employees are mostly (if not 100%) billable so this would be a great tool to help manage that. The function that allows you to scope out a project by hours/task is great monitoring the time each task in the process takes as well as informs any educational opportunities to better train the staff for efficiency.
Read Lynzee Jablonka's full review
Blythe Warwas profile photo
We use Harvest across our organization to track all of our time on our own projects, client projects, and really, everything else that goes on! It helps us really understand where our time and money are going, and it's user-friendly for everyone in our organization. I have been using it for almost 2 years, and it has become second nature to switch timers and keep everything on track.
  • Easy to learn.
  • Connects easily to other important software as we use, such as Asana.
  • Highly organizable for all types and sizes of projects.
  • We would like to be able to see on a clock when you started and stopped each time. Harvest will show you this number while the timer is running, but not after the timer has been stopped.
  • Better functionality to warn you when you are almost done with the time you had put in a timer would be good.
  • In the search projects function, it would be nice to be able to view an entire project instead of just the timers within that project.
Harvest is ideal for when we have a big project such as a promotion because we can divide up all of the time into what each department might need. This might include a specific few hours for graphic designers, a specific few hours for social media managers, etc. Later, we can see the specific record of where the time went.

Harvest is sometimes less appropriate when you have a very large number of projects that a lot of people need access to. It still functions well, but it can be difficult to find the specific timer you need mixed into the fray.
Read Blythe Warwas's full review
McKay Salisbury profile photo
We use Harvest for our time tracking, invoicing, and some billing. Our business uses billable hours so we use the harvest app to track the time we spend on each client. We can set different billable rates for different people or rates for different tasks. It also handles flat-rate projects, recurring monthly fees, and retainers quite well. At any time, we can see our billable time, how much each client owes, and how much of that has already been invoiced. Twice a month we invoice everyone for what they owe using Harvest. It's pretty simple to use and reliable.
  • Tracking billable time - You can set different rates for different people on each project. Or you can charge for the task type. It also will track expenses that you can bill on to clients.
  • It will make invoices really quickly. This is the reason we switched to Harvest. We track our time and then simply send them the invoices. We can also set up automatic reminders for late payments. Clients can click the invoices and pay electronically which is nice.
  • It's quite simple to set up a project and to use it. The apps are great and function very well and reliably.
  • I would like to have a way to track the "total work time" instead of it just adding the time altogether. For example, often there is time that is not billable but then you also don't really want to track either. It would be nice if each day workers could clock in and out for payroll purposes.
  • Right now if you switch the rate you want to charge a client for a specific person, you can't, it would affect the past charges. You have to create a new project. It would be nice if they had an option to change the rate, but only have that affect changes in the future.
  • It would be great if they integrated with real merchant accounts. Right now it just uses things like Stripe and PayPal but usually, we charge the credit card ourselves so it would be nice to be able to do that ourselves through Harvest.
  • I would love to be able to have more options for minimum billing increments. Right now it lets you choose 1 hour, 30 minutes, 15 minutes, or 6 minutes. It would be great to use 10-minute increments but that's not an option with Harvest.
Any firm that needs to track billable time will get great use out of Harvest. Also, if you want to manage your time and billing in one place, Harvest may be great for that.
Read McKay Salisbury's full review
Lark Ismail profile photo
We use Harvest for individual team members to track time spent on client projects. Then, on our billing side, we manage invoices based on entered hours or just a flat project rate. From within the program, we can update the invoices, send them to the client with a customized message, and mark paid once payment is received.
  • Easy time tracking with browser add-ons/plugins.
  • Invoice management (sending/receiving invoices).
  • Invoice status - clear dashboard that shows a client's status and unpaid invoices.
  • Stronger contact management, possibly more like a CRM.
  • Automatic project creation (I currently use third-party automation software to do this in a roundabout way).
  • Harvest on Mac is able to give a notice when the timer has been left on and keep track of how long it appears to have been running ideally. This would be great if possible on other devices and browsers.
I've recommended this to clients in the past looking for a time tracking solution. It's easy to recommend to everyone because it has a low price point to start and is available on all devices and browsers with no conflicting issues. I use integrations with Harvest for my team, but the most ideal scenario for Harvest may be for freelancers since they may not need any additional features or other programs to run this side of their business.
Read Lark Ismail's full review
November 11, 2019

Harvest Review

It is being used by all employees and officers of the company. It addresses the tracking of time to projects, which provides data for billing.
  • Non-complicated user interface.
  • The ability to place notes along with time and project & task headings
  • Reminders can be set that are helpful for making sure everyone keeps on top of posting their time and notes.
  • Much, much to generic-simple (e.g. Client addresses are a SINGLE data field, making it almost useless for export to other organizational software such as Outlook or Quickbooks).
  • Only 3 security level settings where at least 5 or 6 are needed (this has caused a MAJOR amount of ADDED workload for admin work, therefore MAJOR ADDED OVERHEAD EXPENSE and difficulty in being efficient).
  • Can only have one Attention To person when creating an invoice (should be a pull-down menu of all related contacts); this has caused UNNECESSARY duplication of client and project records to cover our needs when billing.
  • Over the past 4 years, we have repeatedly requested the key items that would be of help to be improved or changed ... we ALWAYS get the same response that they "are not working on this area at this time, nor have any plans to do so in the near future".
  • Someone at Harvest decided to change access/security rules AFTER we were using the system ...this change has BLOCKED use of particularly important areas from the only users (Admin Assist) available to perform the needed work ... which NOW HAS TO BE DONE OUTSIDE OF HARVEST (where it was possible to stay inside the program previously) NOTE: when asked why they changed this, there was no really good explanation and we were told they do not have plans to fix it back or create a better fix.
  • If the Admin (with full access) creates a Draft Invoice, a Project Manager CANNOT see it to help add to it or proof it.
A small company where there are no concerns the CEO is really the only person needing to have full access rights because he/she does all the work that requires full access (set up of clients, management of projects, set up of users, creating and sending billing, receiving payables).
We use Harvest for the entire company. We are small online business owners who support multiple clients. Harvest allows us to log our hours so we know how long each project is taking. Then, once the projects are complete, we are able to view how long each project took us. If it is a retainer project, Harvest will send you a warning email to let you know when you are about to use up your hours for the retainer. It is a great resource for small business owners. It also sends invoices which is great so you don't need multiple apps.
  • Managing multiple users time clocks.
  • Harvest has a checkbox that allows your clients to direct pay their invoice on the due date recurring each month. It allows for streamless billing.
  • Harvest allows you to break up each client into projects and tasks. You can overview exactly where your employee's time has gone.
  • Invoicing could be a little easier to use. The retainer invoices are a little confusing.
  • The pricing for multiple users is a little high.
If you have multiple projects and are billing customers on a monthly basis then harvest would be a great option for you. It's a great option for small online businesses. In a company with over 20 employees, it might get confusing.
Harvest is being used to track employee time, contractor time, manage project details, and manage/reconcile client budgets. It is being used across the whole organization for time tracking but project and account managers use it more thoroughly to manage project details as it pertains to resource and budget. It allows our organization to have access to resource allocation that is easily viewed in report format for audits and billing.
  • Track time.
  • Generate reports on resource allocation.
  • Manage budget.
  • More options/alternatives for complex contractor time submission.
  • More robust reporting functionality.
  • Integration to Slack.
Harvest is a great tool to track team resources within an organization's project scope. It allows employees and contracts to submit their time (manually or by using an integrated timer) to various projects. Project and account managers can use this information to reconcile against project budgets. Harvest also allows approved members to generate reports that consolidate resources, budget and other project details.
I was a part of a small engineering consulting group that used Harvest for time and expense tracking as well as tracking budgets for specific projects. We used Harvest for both Time & Materials projects and Firm Fixed projects. Everyone in the company used it for tracking their hours spent on each project. Project lead and managers used Harvest for making sure each project was on budgetary schedule. The owner of the company also looked at the reports generated from Harvest.
  • Easy to use for everyone in the organization.
  • The reporting that can be done for projects, clients, and employees is really helpful.
  • You can use a mobile app, desktop app, or the website to do expenses and time tracking.
  • The expense reporting is much easier than any other solution I have used.
  • The interface and expense reporting doesn't allow you to do much customization if you need specifics.
  • The desktop app is very basic so everyone in our company just had a tab open in a browser for Harvest.
  • Some of the admin features like adding/removing people from projects and defining their roles is not intuitive.
If you are an individual consultant or a small company who needs to be able to track spending/hours on a variety of projects then Harvest seems like the gold standard to use. There is minimal setup and it comes with a variety of useful tools out of the box that can get you started right away. It becomes less appropriate as the company gets very large and needs a lot more customization for reporting, expenses, etc. If it has what you need out of the box, great, but if you need anything else then customization makes it worth looking elsewhere.
Working for lots of clients, it's important to track my time effectively and be able to relay to clients what I've been working on. Using Harvest allows me to categorize my work by project and by task. It's great for helping me stay on track with my assignments and ensure I'm not going over budget on projects.
  • Harvest is great for tracking time and putting a certain amount of time into a certain project or task.
  • Having the desktop app to Harvest makes it easy to start and stop projects without having to log in to the website.
  • Sometimes Harvest has the tendency to get really slow if I haven't restarted it in a few days.
  • The reporting in Harvest is okay, but could be a bit more detailed and easy to use when it comes to mapping out times on certain projects.
Harvest is great if you have project-by-project work or work for various clients. It's great, especially for freelancers to track how much time is being used on a certain task or project.
Dave Seeman profile photo
Harvest is used in our organization to track time and expenses and invoice clients. If you work on a project by project basis and need to know if you're spending your time profitably then Harvest is a great tool to implement. We put our team of full-timers and contractors on there to track both billable and nonbillable time and billable and non-billable expenses so that we have complete insight into the profitability of each project. We also use their timesheets to pay hourly employees and contractors and use their reports to regularly evaluate the health of our business. The invoicing feature is simple and effective and we prefer it because it minimizes fees compared to other invoicing and payment methods.
  • Time tracking in harvest is excellent. You can start and stop timers from their desktop applications, from the browser, and even using API integrations like slash commands in slack. It is easy to adjust entries as necessary, submit timesheets for approval (if you need to) and track time in whatever way works for you.
  • Harvest's invoicing is excellent. The automatic messages are very simple to setup, the invoices are easy to pay and have very low fees when using paypal (50 cents), and the invoices are easy to create and track.
  • Harvest has excellent support that is extremely responsive.
  • Our complaints are few and Harvest is still better than most, but improvements to time tracking could be made that allowed each individual user to have their best setup instead of making that a company-wide setting.
If you work on a project by project basis and need to evaluate the profitability of projects that are billed cost plus, time and materials, retainer, hourly, or whatever, it's great.
Read Dave Seeman's full review
Aislinn Kenyon profile photo
We use it primarily for time tracking -- making sure our employees are counting their time in categorized buckets so we can accurately budget how much time is spent on each internal project.
  • Project and task organization.
  • Clear visuals of budgets.
  • Easy start/stop of timers.
  • A pop-up if you are logged in during regular work hours, but you aren't tracking any time, as a reminder to those who get sidetracked.
Harvest is well suited for companies who have remote workers. The ease of starting and stopping timers keeps tabs on the remote workers, and allows them the freedom to take pauses when they need to without wasting company time. It's not as useful for offices where everyone is there for a specific time period, or those who have a very generalized role, such as secretary.
Read Aislinn Kenyon's full review
Joy Reschke profile photo
Harvest allows our business to track time and expenses efficiently. It is used across our entire organization to analyze daily, quarterly, and yearly productivity. The data supplied is critical to assessing our profitability, and we are able to track business success by reviewing metrics every month. We are able to plan with for a successful future!
  • Harvest keeps our projects on track by showing our team how much time we spent on any given project and compares this to our estimate.
  • Harvest has an easy-to-use interface, making it an accessible tool for our entire team.
  • When we review our annual performance (time vs. profitability), Harvest is the primary tool we use.
  • I would love to improve the search function in the drop-down menu so that more clients can be viewed at a time.
  • The process of starting a new project is great! However, I would prefer that the Time & Materials rates would always default to a standard setting rather than defaulting to what was last used.
Harvest is the ideal tool for any size company. Our design and accounts team use the service to track our time, and our finance department is able to compare our time with the estimate for each project. This allows our company to lay the groundwork for present and future profitability in real time.
Read Joy Reschke's full review
Chris Hecox profile photo
December 17, 2018

Review: Harvest

We used Harvest for time tracking at two previous jobs I held within the past five years. Harvest was able to implement time tracking for various projects and make for more accurate quoting for future projects.
  • Harvest is easy to use and has multiple avenues. You can use it in browser, as an add-on/extension for your browser, as a standalone application, or even on your phone for mobile time tracking (meetings, etc.).
  • Harvest breaks time down into every aspect of a project, based on how the system management decides to break things down. Projects can have multiple categories (editing, meetings, pre production, etc.) and each can be selected when starting your time tracking.
  • Harvest breaks down statistics and averages very well. This makes for an excellent spectrum of time to look over average project times and determine more accurate quoting for future projects. Being able to see detailed breakdowns is very, very helpful and saves time and money.
  • Harvest can be implemented into other software like Slack, Trello, and Teamwork, so it's easy to continue tracking with whatever workflow you are using.
  • As with all time tracking software, Harvest puts stress on employees to either report their time extremely accurately, or buffer time to bloat their schedules and make themselves seem more productive. This is an unavoidable issue with time-tracking software, but at least having access to it on multiple devices makes it simpler.
Harvest is great for a mid-sized business with many working parts. 1 or 2 managers can handle the system and input project categories allowing for users to quickly log their time in projects.
Read Chris Hecox's full review
We use Harvest across the entire organization to accurately track billable (and non-billable) time for our clients and management purposes. When implemented properly I was able to increase our billable rates by over 50%, simply by improving the accuracy of the data using Harvest. Harvest has a lot of integrations with other major tools, and we used those integrations (and built our own) to again increase the accuracy of the data.
  • Lots of integrations
  • Good pricing
  • Lack of permission sets (need more flexible or customizable permissions)
  • Adoption by the team (not the software's fault, time tracking in general is tough to implement)
It works really well when you do repeat work for customers. Setting up new customers is not terrible, but if you have thousands, it will be tedious. I've found that if you get too granular with the data, projects, and tasks, then you will find it to be less accurately selected by team members. Keep It Short Simple (KISS).
We use Harvest to track all of our work activities. We track all billable (client services) and non-billable (admin function) work in order to get an accurate picture of how time is being spent across the agency.
  • It is easy to set up categories by client and activity.
  • The timer function is helpful for tracking how time is spent.
  • I don't think that either Harvest needs to improve or that the user needs to improve, but sometimes the categories are a little restricted.
  • Color coding would make it easier for users to differentiate between categories/clients.
Harvest is well-suited for users who are working on multiple clients and need to track each client's work. I could also see users who are working on single clients benefiting from using Harvest because you can get really granular in the tracking.
Tegan Jenner profile photo
Harvest is used by every employee at my company. We use harvest for expense tracking and for hour tracking against all of our different client contracts. Harvest allows us to customize how we track our time, and makes pulling detailed time reports very easy. The user interface is very easy to use, and a vast improvement over our previous time-tracking software we were using.
  • Easy to use -- simple user interface which leaves little room for error.
  • It's got a personality -- for example, at the beginning of a day, before you log any time, there is a different quote each day that relates to time.
  • It's extremely flexible -- everything within the tasks can be altered and manager so that it's personalized to fit your client/project needs.
  • I really don't have anything bad to say about Harvest. It does everything I need and more, and it was extremely easy to learn to use.
We have a client > Project > task style system at work where contacts are based on hours spent by a cross-functional team. Harvest is able to organize our hours by client, project, task, user, etc. This way, we can pull reports on time spent by function, by project, etc -- which is extremely helpful to measure over/under burn against our contracts.

We also use Harvest as part of our expense tracking, and similar to the time tracking, it's sleek and easy to use. Even the less-tech-savvy people in our office have easily mastered Harvest.
Read Tegan Jenner's full review
Chris Lesner profile photo
Harvest has helped us with keeping track of our individual team member's time and also helped us with keeping track of finances as it relates to any project. Hypothetically people also use it for sending invoices and proposals, but we haven't found that feature to be as helpful as others have said it is.
  • Easy to use time tracking
  • They have probably the best/simplest app out there.
  • Their export features on timing are great for sending out invoices and keeping track of what's billable and not billable.
  • Their pricing is pretty expensive.
  • It doesn't integrate with many products (outside of Basecamp from what we know of).
  • They don't allow for people to be admins for specific clients, it's all or nothing.
We have a marketing company. We don't want to pressure our team into working like crazy, but we do need to provide a breakdown in time spent on any task we work on for our clients. We need it to be easy to track along the way and to get notified if we are getting too close to being over budget in a given week on a few month long process.
Read Chris Lesner's full review
Brian Alonzo profile photo
We are using Harvest to track time on all projects. This tracking allows us to manage expenses and bill our clients at an accurate rate. We also use Harvest for building project estimates that don't require a full proposal. We use Harvest for all invoicing. This has helped our business keep all our financial reporting in one easy to access location.
  • Harvest tracks time. Enough said. There is a great desktop and mobile tracking app for Harvest that makes it very easy to track all billable time.
  • Harvest is easy invoicing at it's best. We are able to create invoices based on project tracked time and quickly get paid from our clients.
  • Harvest also allows us to build estimates for smaller projects giving the client the ability to accept the estimate online. This helps us kick off smaller projects faster.
  • We would love to see Harvest build a feature for more detailed proposals that could be signed by the client and then automatically be turned into a billable invoice. The estimate falls short of this for larger projects.
  • Sending an invoice directly to the client from the Harvest dashboard can sometimes fail. Because it's coming from a spoofed email- some clients never get the invoice because it get's trapped in their spam folder.
Harvest is perfect for small to medium-sized companies with multiple users working on multiple projects. It allows business owners to easily manage invoice and expense tracking without the need of hiring for a bookkeeping position. Larger enterprise companies may find the features useless if they already have an accounting department in place.
Read Brian Alonzo's full review
Caleb Kingston profile photo
Our entire company (5 people) uses Harvest. We use it to track all internal and project time to get a glimpse into where our time is going and also to bill our client. We don't use the internal Harvest invoices. We copy the invoice into QuickBooks and then email it to our clients. We love setting project budgets and measuring our time.
  • Enter time anywhere. I love that there is a desktop app, iPhone app, and web app, and also that you can enter your time from other programs you're using like Trello or Asana. You don't even have to have harvest open to track your time which eliminates duplicate entries.
  • Reporting is very simple. Get a diary glympse of what your team has worked on that week. At the beginning of each week, I print this out and go over key questions with my team.
  • Very inexpensive. We found the cost of harvest to be much cheaper than competing software without limiting what features we could access.
  • I would like to see better integration between quickbooks and harvest. I have to create a harvest invoice and then copy to quickbooks but when that is finally paid, none of that info transfers to harvest so I have a ton of "unpaid" invoices in harvest.
  • It would nice if my team could request to be part of a project. There are many times I have a team member jump on a project but then they enter their time in the wrong place because they didn't have access to the project. If they could click a button to request access and I get an email that I can approve them with, it would help things a ton.
For project or service based companies this is a winner. Being able to estimate time and costs and measure actual vs estimated for future projects is the biggest winner for me.

Might be less ideal if you're a product based company. but still useful.
Read Caleb Kingston's full review
Mike Incavo profile photo
Our group uses Harvest to track time we spend. In a smaller group like ours, it's not always clear where everyone is spending time. With Harvest, we're able to keep tabs on it.
  • Manual additions and auto count-up from manually entered time
  • Native desktop app with play and pause buttons
  • Cannot track time for anything other than specific, existing projects
  • No reminders to check progress or enter tasks you're working on
I think that if one is trying to ascertain how much time is being spent on particular broad projects or clients, Harvest can be useful. However, I would prefer a tool that proactively asks me for information about what I'm working on, and one that allows for time tracking outside of specific projects.
Read Mike Incavo's full review

About Harvest

Harvest is an expense management, time tracking, and budgeting tool from Harvest in New York. It supports many accounting solutions as an add-on (e.g. Quickbooks, Xero), or it can function in a standalone fashion for some small businesses that have simple expense tracking and also invoicing needs. It's time tracking feature is its core, though it also automates invoices, with estimates, integration with commonly used gateways (e.g. Paypal), multiple currency support, automated reminders, and recurring billing.

For $12 per month the Solo plan supports up to 3 users with unlimited invoicing, clients, and projects. The $49 per month Basic plan supports up to 9 users and adds timesheet approval. The $99 per month Business package supports unlimited users. A free 30-day trial is available for all solutions, and a perpetually free version permits one user to manage up to 4 clients and 2 projects.

Harvest Integrations