Currently the best cloud file option on the market
Updated April 09, 2020

Currently the best cloud file option on the market

Nicolas Hubert | TrustRadius Reviewer

Overall Satisfaction with IBM Cloud File Storage

IBM Cloud File Storage is being used to store large amounts of data across the organization. We use it to retrieve data easily and store it in different chunks. It is not used by all departments, just IT-related departments, and mostly by engineers. It addresses problems related to big data, data processing, and analysis.
  • Adjustable/extensible volume of stored data - You can really scale up.
  • You pay for what you use and it is very transparent.
  • Hard to master because of a lot of different functions.
  • Documentation is not so helpful.
  • Huge time gain.
  • Large learning curve.
We selected IBM Cloud File Storage because of the company's reputation as a good provider of cloud file storage solutions and more generally, my company at that time relied heavily on IBM software. We hesitated a little bit with Amazon EFS which had some key features that IBM did not have, but all things considered, IBM was our best alternative.

Do you think IBM Cloud File Storage delivers good value for the price?

Are you happy with IBM Cloud File Storage's feature set?

Did IBM Cloud File Storage live up to sales and marketing promises?

Did implementation of IBM Cloud File Storage go as expected?

Would you buy IBM Cloud File Storage again?

IBM Cloud File Storage is well suited for storing and retrieving data in large organizations. In smaller organizations, I would recommend choosing another solution that is lighter and easier to administrate.
For example, I had to retrieve all the financial transactions from Jan 2018 to August 2018 that had some specific features, so that I could run my ML algorithms on it. It was pretty quick to retrieve that data even though it was stored in different locations.

IBM Cloud File Storage Feature Ratings

Pre-defined machine images
Operating system support
Security controls

IBM Cloud Support and Implementation

The implementation of IBM Cloud Storage took more time than expected, not because of wrongly doint it, but rather because due to the plentifulness of functionalities, you have to tweak every parameter to customize your own file storage system. It is painful at first, but once it is done you will have a full, tailored cloud file storage system.
One day, the access to our Cloud file storage was somewhat frozen. We then called IBM and they delivered us a quick solution (within 2 hours). We did not experience any other issue. Which is good; it proves how reliable IBM Could file storage can be. Also note that if you happen to encounter any issue, the IBM support is quite responsive and helpful.
Basic (free) - We thought that in any case IBM solutions are very robust, so the need for premium service seemed useless.
  • Central Documentation and Learning Hub
  • IBM Cloud Docs
  • IBM Cloud product demos and tutorial videos
  • Chat with Watson
I just had one issue requiring contacting the support. People were very friendly and helpful. I cannot rate better because I have not been exposed to other similar situations (just had one single issue in 6 months), and cannot rate lower because this proves that IBM is trustworthy. I think it is fair.