SPSS - a great interface and easy to use for basic statistical analysishttps://www.trustradius.com/predictive-analyticsIBM SPSSUnspecified8.31461012017-03-29T21:34:30.431Z
Updated January 08, 2018
SPSS - a great interface and easy to use for basic statistical analysis
Score 9 out of 101
- IBM SPSS Statistics
- IBM AMOS
Overall Satisfaction with IBM SPSS
It is being used across the organization. IBM SPSS is used for analyzing quantitative data. Specifically within our department, it is used to conduct t-tests, various types of ANOVAs, regressions, and mediation/moderation analysis. It provides the opportunity to conduct statistically rigorous data analysis that can then inform trends in the field of marketing. We use it for publications in academic journals. The problem it addresses is identifying new ways to conduct marketing that are more effective than previous methods. By running experiments to look at product evaluations before and after marketing changes, we can use IBM SPSS to identify if one marketing tactic is better than another. It helps academics, students, and practitioners alike.
- Dialogue boxes. I love that IBM SPSS has drop down menus, which are much better than some of the other statistical packages that require you to write purely in code.
- Customizable. You can add in dialogue boxes of your own or from other users in your field. Specifically for the field of marketing, a macro known as PROCESS is used to conduct mediation analysis. This is not standard with SPSS, but the program is customizable so I can add this custom dialogue box to my set of menus.
- Dual Licenses. I appreciate that when I purchase SPSS, I get a license for my laptop and another for my desktop. This helps keep costs down, but enable accessibility from wherever I need access to the program.
- Fast. The speed of SPSS has definitely improved over the last several versions. Running stats tests are very quick, usually just a matter of seconds.
- Renewal licenses. I didn't like when SPSS turned from purchasing the program outright to 6 month licenses. In the long run, it makes things more expensive as each change seems to be incremental. I could still run all of my necessary statistical tests on a version that was 2 or 3 versions ago.
- If you are running structural equation modeling (SEM), you may find it easier to operate solely in another program. While they do allow data transition from AMOS to SPSS, sometimes it can be clunky.
- Processing capabilities. If you have a slow computer, SPSS is going to be a pain to run. Installation takes up all the memory on one of my even faster computers, so I have to not try to run excess items while running SPSS.
SPSS has contributed to more research being produced at our institution which contributes to the reputation of our university. It also saves time over computing tests by hand. Mostly though, it allows for happier employees who are able to use software that functions well and is intuitive for the user to operate.
SPSS has improved the content of research produced by the university. Users of the software are able to run stats tests very quickly, have reliable results, and can also communicate with colleagues at other institutions that use the same software. This allows for a competitive advantage in the sense of employees wanting to stay at the current institution.
- It has enabled our university to attract better students who seek a university high in the rankings from academic publishing (and SPSS is required for the data analysis for those publications).
- With the increased costs of 6 month or 12 month licenses, it has decreased ROI on student fees because more money is spent on renewing licenses to the program.
- It has also increased ROI as we are able to attract better talent that desire to have this as the base program they use.
- stata, amos and lisrel
IBM SPSS is the easiest to use program of various statistical software packages. It may not be able to run the most complex models (e.g., hierarchical modeling or modeling in groups) as easily, but for someone who just needs to run basic stats (e.g., t-tests, regressions, ANOVAs), it is the most user-friendly with great drop-down menus and a great graphical user interface (GUI).
IBM SPSS is well suited for basic data analysis for market researchers, academics, and students. It performs all the basic functions (t-tests, ANOVAs, regression, correlations) that people would need to do. However, if you want to get into hierarchical modeling or assessment of data within groups, it can be tougher to run in SPSS and other programs may be more beneficial.
Using IBM SPSS
500 - They mostly represent academic research. University statistics uses them for other information regarding student behavior I would think. These are basic functions of research-based employees as well as students that are learning how to use research software for jobs in the future. They have definitely helped with basic job functions.
We don't really have in-house support for SPSS other than going to other colleagues and asking questions. Shop around for the best price too because in-house pricing for the software is sometimes more expensive turning the support to the organization where the software is purchased from. Skills of detailed knowledge of how to work the program are needed.
- Research. Assists with academic research to identify trends in the industry.
- Education. Teaches students how to use research software that they may use in their future careers.
- Information. Provides in-depth information regarding behavior of employees and clients.
- Analyzing trends in student test scores.
- Understanding how climate influences employee happiness.
- Comparing accuracy of current work with past work.
- Better conducting re-tests of prior studies to verify accuracy that could have been conducted with different software.
- Better train undergraduate and graduate students alike in how to use the software for their future careers.
It is essential for performing research. Other programs (e.g., STATA, SAS) work too but are less intuitive for the user. The drop-down menus and easy to understand formatting make this program favored by many researchers. There are also custom dialogues that can be added for those desiring more advanced features and functionality.