Snagit Reviews

June 17, 2020

Capture your results!!!

Snagit is being used in my organization as a primary tool to capture any screenshots and share as required.
  • Screenshots for selected regions.
  • Videos for any work flows.
  • Full page screenshots.
  • Full page screenshots are not very clear sometimes.
  • Scrolling screenshots will have issues when we scroll to take full view.
Videos and screenshots can be captured very well. You can even use audio with recordings. Scrolling screenshots are not very clear if you need to scroll multiple times on a page.
My queries are always answered.
February 24, 2020

Screen capture with Snagit

Snagit is currently being used across the organization. We use it exactly as one would use a snipping tool but we're able to add annotations, text, and shapes which makes it much easier to use than snipping tool. It just makes it easier to capture a screen in a still or video form to share.
  • Ease of use.
  • Intuitive.
  • Tool switching.
  • Context menu shortcuts.
Snagit does very well for quick captures or screenshots. I feel as though doing video capture could be a little easier. There are some issues when trying to convert it to a gif. Overall I think it does its job very well and I believe future improvements will make it perfect.
I never had to reach out to Snagit. There was only once that I actually reached out to support for assistance. They did take some time to respond but nothing out of reason. They were unable to solve that one issue but it was an advanced issue that could only be resolved by a re-image of a machine.
February 21, 2020

For Just-In-Time Instruction and detailed tutorials, Snagit can’t be beat!

I use Snagit in the creation of training materials and supporting materials. When we need detailed, picture-based instructions, Snagit is PERFECT. When you need to send quick instructions that are made on the fly to an employee via email, Snagit provides just-in-time instruction that provides not only excellent instruction but also looks professional.
  • Picture-based instruction
  • Quickly made, professional instructions for “just-in-time” training and guidance.
  • It would be great to have the ability to import designs to use as permanent, selectable effects for other pictures.
  • More keyboard shortcuts for specific effects
Snagit is the ideal tool to create instructions for the software. It is easy to design pleasing, professional instruction that is easy to view and make sense. If you need to edit a picture and remove color, etc. quickly, Snagit is also excellent. While it does not have the horsepower of something like Adobe Photoshop, it works to get the job done. And, it’s so easy to use, you can quickly throw to gather some instructions to email team members who need assistance.
I’ve had a handful of times in the past few years where I’ve had to reach out to Snagit with questions. And, every time, they’ve been helpful. They are quick to respond and are always professional and pleasant. I’ve had a question about purchasing both the product and the maintenance packages, and they are still knowledgeable and patient with my queries.
February 20, 2020

Screen-capture selection--or all--with options

Snagit has been my 'go-to' capture software for over 21 years. Simple to use, it does the job of capturing selections or scrolling open windows. I can confirm or tweak capture size as needed. Snagit lets me edit the contents later, add notes, join (paste) other capture(s), grab text (editable, copyable), and save as a .snag(it) file or other formats including PDF.
  • Dynamic selection(s) capture
  • Grab text (most useful)
  • Draw a temporary line, rotate image to that vertical or horizontal line orientation (straighten)
Snagit works extremely well for doing screen-captures of selections, windows, and auto-scrolling. Easy to save in .snag(it) editable format or other popular image formats. Snagit keeps years of snagged (recallable) images in its history library. Capturing purchase images and descriptions (like from Amazon). Very useful every day.
When I need support, Snagit is always there for me--and in a timely manner. Good Job!
Cindy Lalowski | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 01, 2019

SnagIt: Saves Time, Easy to Use and Cost Effective

My team uses Snagit to document work instructions and process instructions. This tool is very easy to use and to teach others to use. It captures real time data and allows you to insert step by step instructions right into the software you are using or a document you are creating for others to use.
  • Captures real time data from a page on your desktop that you are viewing.
  • I really like the ability to either use an arrow as a pointer or to circle certain information on the document/page.
  • In particular we use the insertion of text to enter instructions or describe what we are pointing to.
  • Sometimes there is a limitation on the size of the window we are trying to capture so it cuts off a bit.
I really like that this tool is a one stop shop that allows you to enter clear cut instructions for any user to follow. I've had very positive feedback from users describing how they like the format of the instructions and how easy it is to follow. I've actually showed employees how to use the tool and they have purchased for use in their departments.
I've actually never had to contact support as the tool is easy to use. One aspect is that they upgrade and send email notifications of the upgrades. They don't charge extra for upgrades and their enhancements fall in line with the way we use the tool. We haven't had to submit any upgrade requests as the tool already does what we need it to do.
Read Cindy Lalowski's full review
Gary Davis | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 15, 2019

Snagit provides screen capture and image editing to files and clipboard

Snagit is used primarily for screen capture to be included in HTML-formatted emails, documentation in pdf or doc format, and our HelpDesk ticket system. The IT department mainly uses this for developers and DevOps as well as the marketing department in creating tickets.
  • Snagit provides easy screen capture when tied to the PrnScrn Windows keyboard key (or other assigned key).
  • Once a region is captured, it is easily edited to reduce the image size and resolution as well as annotate with the highlighter, pointer, shape, and other "tools."
  • Captures can then either be copied to the clipboard for pasting in emails or saved as files in various formats.
  • I find the Snagit editor handy for editing existing images by cropping, resizing, annotating, etc. as an alternative to other image editors.
  • Snagit can capture images that are larger than displayed by automatically scrolling the image. Sometimes, this does not work well; either the resulting image is not complete or not scrolled at all (version 13).
  • Snagit has many functions and can get confusing. Basic functionality is easy, but some advanced features require a learning curve and viewing of tutorials.
  • I find some settings are not remembered. For example, drawing a rectangle around something to highlight may hide what's inside the rectangle. I then have to undo that shape, enable a transparent fill (instead of white fill), and try again (version 13).
I like Snagit and use it daily. I recommend the utility to everyone, including my wife and kids.
I have not had the opportunity to use customer support other than purchasing the utility and obtaining documentation and tutorials.
Read Gary Davis's full review
John Chavez | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 06, 2019

The ultimate primping tool

It is used for editing images and for creating short videos and demos. What I enjoy about Snagit is how easy it is to take something from an image, a website, even something like youtube and copy it and paste it for your own usage. Once you do that Snagit it gives you all kinds of options in order to be able to change and manipulate the image, more importantly, though it is very simple to use and anyone can learn it.
  • Ease of use, you can literally pick this up and start using it immediately without much training.
  • It has a lot of options once you cut and clip your image, do you want to turn it into a picture? Edit it? All easy to use.
  • Can change your media from an image to a graphic.
  • There isn't anything that I don't think it doesn't do well.
Snagit I think is best suited if you are an instructional designer and have to pull images from the internet because you don't have an internal marketing team or aren't a graphic designer yourself. Snagit as a stand-alone tool can help you create thousands of images/videos if you are talented enough to understand how to manipulate an image/video for your needs. It really is a very encompassing tool.
Techsmith is great when responding to questions or where to find tutorials if you need help. If you lose your key or have issues with the software they are quick with helping you, I have never had an issue with TechSmith providing help with any of their software or just answering simple questions, they are always there to help.
Read John Chavez's full review
Dinesh Selvachandra | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 29, 2019

All in one tool with a great editor.

As a software company, we often need to create user documents and presentations based on application screenshots. Snagit makes it easy to draw an illustrate the functionalities in a very clean graphical manner.
  • Full of features and many export options.
  • Editing is very easy and all the necessary tools are available.
  • there are multiple modes of capture, even video with makes it an all in one tool.
  • The software has gotten very big with new versions.
  • Unable to do partial scroll capture.
  • The quick capture tool is big, sometimes its annoying.
When you need to get some graphical document done base on screenshots, this is the best all in one solution out there.
Haven't contacted support so far, so I'm unable to comment.
Read Dinesh Selvachandra's full review
Thomas Kleinschmidt, CIM(R) | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 16, 2019

Go ahead and snag a copy of SnagIt

Right now only a few of us use Snagit. We're constantly needing to communicate complex things so a simple keyboard shortcut gets the job done in most cases and with only a few minutes in the editor to add graphics/captions/clarity.
  • Ability to have a simple keyboard shortcut and direct the image.
  • We have shortcuts to direct the capture to various programs: clipboard, Word, Powerpoint, directly just to the editor.
  • Scroll capture for long webpage clips.
  • Very useful to grab screenshots of webinars!
  • Editor top menu seems to default back to previous factory icons...it seems to lose the tools I put up manually, and I use these tools frequently.
Useful in all areas. I like the Library for things that need more editing I can pull up. Other software not as easy or can't pull up/edit images.
I only used it once and cannot recall it being on either side of neutral.
Read Thomas Kleinschmidt, CIM(R)'s full review
greg van stekelenburg | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 01, 2019

Snagit review

It's used by the sales department. Allows capture of data for developing presentation information, reports, documents.
  • Very good range capture
  • Allows basic editing to captured image
  • Allows you to save an image effectively
  • The scrolling web page capture can be a little hard to use.
  • Sometimes active drop down disappears and you have to go into app to restart it.
Very effective for capturing screen images and letting you do basic editing. Great for pointing out areas to focus on in an image with arrows etc.
Have not really had to access support.
Read greg van stekelenburg's full review
December 07, 2019

Snagit Review

Snagit is currently being used by our Learning Management System department and allows us to capture screenshots within our LMS. It gives us the ability to create job aids for our users.
  • The layout is very simple and not clustered.
  • Saves screenshots in one space to use access easily.
  • The ability to share content to our SME’s for review.
  • More options to share images.
  • More visual options.
Snagit is well suited for creating visual presentations either by using the image capture option or video recording option. The ease of use and layout within the program is very beneficial as an admin. We create visual job aids within a PDF or through video.
I have not had a need to use support, but when looking within the online help it seemed straightforward and detailed.
October 27, 2019

The perfect screenshot software

We use Snagit to principally capture screenshots. Screenshots are important in our day to day Software Validation work since it is used as evidence that software works (or not) as expected. Snagit offers a lot of editing options, which are fantastic.
  • Snagit offers a lot of editing functionality.
  • Snagit allows capturing videos.
  • 200% better that the sniping tool.
  • Honestly, I cannot figure out how Snagit could be better than that.
We use Snagit to capture evidence during software verification and software validation. The classification of screenshots, as well as the editing options, allow us clear reporting. For us, Snagit is well suited for all aspects of our daily work. I cannot identify scenarios where the application should be improved. It is a high-quality application.
The application is simple and therefore we never had to request support.
September 17, 2019

Best screenshot tool on the market, without a doubt

We use Snagit for its superb screenshot capabilities. We started buying licenses many years ago and our users love it so we kept buying and using it. Its editing features are its most loved ones. I love the modern and simple look, while still having all the features available. The zoom option allows for exact screenshotting. We not only use it for documentation but the Web Design department is also a fan.
  • Screenshot options are plenty.
  • Editing is superb.
  • Lots of export options available.
  • Can't think of a mentionable downside. Product exists for years and I think they nailed it!
Making screenshots, editing them and exporting to a variety of formats. If you need more options than the default Windows/Mac screenshot capabilities. If you create documentation this product is a must! Easily the best on the market.
I gave it a high rating because the software is so easy and stable I actually never used it.
Rick Juby | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 15, 2019

It's Easy -- It's Fun -- It's Snagit!

Snagit is being used by our small team of people. We use it for modifying and grabbing content as we send emails and having the right content in the right format is critical to our messaging. Snag it helps us modify images by cropping or adding text or simply using a screenshot with an error to show a process change.
  • Snagit allows me to quickly grab an image and save it in a graphics format.
  • Snagit allows me to capture a full-screen capture that is below the fold so I do not have to copy multiple pictures.
  • Snagit allows me to add audio to screen capture. This is very helpful for training purposes.
  • I would like to see Snagit incorporate more arrow styles.
  • I would like to see Snagit offer more creative examples of how other customers use Snagit.
  • It would be nice to have Snagit create a users group where others can show case cool things that they have done with Snagit.
Snagit is great when you need to cut an image from one document and modify it quickly so that it can be used for presenting content. I like this feature because I often need to bring images into E-Marketing software and it needs to be formatted with specific dimensions. Snagit allows me to do this quickly so I can meet my tight deadlines.

When I need to send a process training document or video. I quickly go to Snagit and record the audio and pull in an image with a voice overlay. The ability to crop a picture to a specific size with appropriate ad-hoc wording is essential in my business. Snagit helps me get this job done very quickly and efficiently.
Read Rick Juby's full review
Émilie Grenier | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 31, 2019

Precise, convenient, and user friendly

Snagit is used by the training department to create images for Powerpoint presentations. We mostly use it to capture images from our clients database so the new employees can see how it looks like while we can hide personal data. We also capture images from our website, as well as other platforms we want to show to our employees.
  • It is very precise : you can select the exact number of pixels you want to capture.
  • It has a very good array of tools you can use to modify your image.
  • It is very user friendly and intuitive.
  • I would like to be able to make the backgound of an image invisible more easily.
  • It would be interesting to have access to a lasso tool like the one in Photoshop.
  • I could not find a third one, I am very satisfied with the product.
Snagit is very useful when you need to make screen captures that need to be very precise and aesthetics. The precision with wich you can select certain areas of an image is surprising. It has the option to select exactly what you want or to select certain frames of the screen which is very helpful when you have to present frames from an application for example.
Read Émilie Grenier's full review
Lisa Durant | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 01, 2019

Easily Capture and Edit Screenshots

We use SnagIt across our organization as our standard screen capture software. I use it as a senior technical writer for both capturing still screenshots and videos. We use the screenshots in our manuals, release announcements, and training. I also use SnagIt to record meetings with screen sharing being presented (such as product demos).
  • Captures selected portions of a screen.
  • Allows immediate editing of captured images and videos.
  • Allows video trimming.
  • Allows annotation/adding arrows, etc. in an appealing format.
  • Snagit does tend to crash occasionally - especially when I go to record a video.
  • Snagit also tends to crash when I am saving large video files.
  • Snagit does tend to freeze up when handling large files.
SnagIt is my go-to tool for taking screenshots of our guides. I would absolutely recommend it for taking screenshots and for adding things like highlighting, text, and arrows to these screenshots. It's also excellent for recording short videos. The one area where it's maybe NOT the best tool would be for recording meetings. SnagIt really isn't meant for this, I don't think. I think it makes more sense to use recording software that is bundled with your meeting software to ensure you capture the best audio quality.
Read Lisa Durant's full review
Jamie Drahos | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 02, 2019

A simple choice for screen-capture

Snagit is being used by individual contributors at our organization. Clearly, the primary function is for screenshots, but it also works well for basic video editing, gif creation, and training step layouts. Techsmith continues to add useful functionality to Snagit, which makes the nominal upgrade fee acceptable. The gif creation tool has allowed us to create basic training steps by screen-recording the process and publishing to a gif. This made the roll-out of our new eCommerce solution easier with basic training on each screen.
  • Screenshot markup is fantastic and has become the standard for a simple workflow.
  • Gif creation from videos/screen-recordings is a great feature.
  • Training step layout is a promising new feature that can replace MS Word for basic process instruction.
  • Combine the capture and editor tool into one. They have always been separate, but it would be less confusing for new users if they were just one program.
  • Computer resource management. The program will take away some of your CPU and memory even when idle. I understand this for the video functionality, but I feel this is one area that could be optimized.
  • Better editor toolbar. As Techsmith adds new features to the editor, they are hidden under a sub-menu of the main toolbar. This causes me to forget about some functionality because it is not front and center.
Anyone that has to create content from screenshots and/or basic screen-recordings will find Snagit to be a valuable tool. It allows you to be more creative with your images and videos than standard Windows programs.
Read Jamie Drahos's full review
July 05, 2019

We use Snagit for primarily just one thing. But it does that thing really, really well.

Numerous people in our organization use Snagit. While it isn't automatically licensed for every employee, it's available upon request. We use it in a number of different ways, but I'd say the primary reason is being able to just not take screenshots, but also to mark them up. In Marketing (my department), I will often use Snagit to mark up screenshots of web pages, to show where text should be added/changed, etc.
  • Screenshots and markups
  • Ability to seamlessly run in the background, yet always be within reach
  • Capture scrolling screenshots of an entire webpage, for example, that doesn't all fit on the screen at once.
  • Screen recording has crashed occasionally, losing data (and causing major headaches).
  • Scrolling screen caps don't always play nicely with consistent navigation bars.
  • I don't always love that Snagit retains prior screenshots (rather than simply saving it on the desktop and clearing it from the software) but I can imagine that would be useful for others.
While Snagit is definitely a more full-featured program and can be used to capture screen recordings, I primarily use it for the very simple purpose of capturing screenshots and quickly/easily highlighting, adding text, and otherwise marking up. I made the mistake once of using Snagit to capture audio through my computer to record a podcast, and after an hour-long interview, as I clicked save, the program crashed and lost the entire interview. So, that's something I'd steer clear of.
June 05, 2019

Snag this tool if you can!

Our organization uses Snagit across multiple departments and it certainly serves its purpose, and then some. We mainly use it to capture still screenshots, but the tool also offers the ability to capture videos as well. In addition to straightforward captures of images or videos, Snagit has additional tools for editing, which makes it a multi-use tool. It's convenient to not have to use one tool to capture, and others to edit. Overall, Snagit is very easy to use and I enjoy it very much!
  • Captures still screenshots
  • Captures videos (mainly used to show step-by-step instructions in a visual format)
  • Editing tools (such as adding text, highlighting, adding shapes/stamps, etc.)
  • Saving files could be easier
  • Finding previously captured images/videos could be easier
  • Ability to categorize captures
Snagit is great for capturing images and videos. I often use it to highlight important pieces from reports, show walkthroughs, and even help with my day-to-day to do lists. I suppose it's not well suited to share images/videos in real-time, as captures must be taken, saved, and then shared separately.
June 04, 2019

Snagit is "the" tool for screen captures!

I am not sure if it's used company-wide but I personally use Snagit to support my deliverables.
  • Snagit is best used for screen capture.
  • It also has editor capabilities for callouts, text, shape, and stamp, etc which is also very handy when creating training materials.
  • You can also highlight certain sections of the capture pretty easily.
  • Snagit can be used for creating any kind of content. I have used it to create training materials and job aides.
  • There are various types of screen selections you could do such as by region, full screen or scrolling window.
  • You could also do borders and filters for effect pretty easily.
For creating training content for system users Snagit is perfect. I don't think Snagit can be used as effectively for creating videos.
May 14, 2019

Snagit! The best screen-grab software out there!

Everyone in my company uses it. It's much easier than taking a screenshot, opening an application, and then pasting it before you save the final file. With Snagit, it's completely instant. You also have so many options. You can save a video or a still image.
  • Screengrab a scrolling window so you get the entire webpage.
  • You are able to crop the image once it's been selected as well as direct email it.
  • You can grab a video of your screen, it's great for tutorials.
  • The video option does not include sound.
  • They are a bit aggressive with updates.
It's great for tutorials. The files are also super small. There are so many options you have. For example, you can add a border. It's great for someone who doesn't have a background in paint or Photoshop or who doesn't know how to post-process videos. Once you have a video, you can delete selections right from an intuitive timeline.
January 23, 2019

Snagit worth it

Snagit is a great program to use if you are limited with MS snipping tool. Snagit gives you the ability to add comments or point out items in the section you got. I recommend it for those that need to use it to make their item stand out.
  • I was able to use Snagit to grab a section on our website to pinpoint exactly with the web administrator the issues we were having on that particular area.
  • Was also able to use Snagit to grab and add a screenshot without revealing any personal information in a presentation.
  • Snagit does need to improve the ability of the different fonts that can be used, and also the size of the arrow.
Snagit works great for presentations, such as adding them to your PowerPoint slides. it can also be used to assist in pointing out specific items that need to be corrected by grabbing that particular screen.
Relton McBurrows | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 30, 2018

Snagit Captures My Praise and My Screen

Our department is focused on learning and development. We use Snagit to capture screenshots (photo and video) for use in tutorials. Outside of our department, Snagit is used to screen capture issues with systems that I help to manage for troubleshooting. Creatively, Snagit steps in where most use Microsoft's Snipping Tool. Often times for our tutorials, we need to capture a delayed still. Snagit accomplishes this task with ease.

• Snagit handles delayed screenshots extremely well.
  • Abilities to add frequent functions to your profile for quick access is a great time and effort saver.
  • Seamless connection to video editing resources is a great bonus for increasing workflow efficiency.
  • Snagit doesn't do a good job of remembering your last chosen file type. If I'm capturing and saving my images mostly to PNG, I would expect the application to save primarily to PNG.
  • Likewise, an ability to apply a naming scheme to files would increase efficiency.
  • Snagit isn't a full function image editor, but adding more tools to its belt would improve my likelihood to use this product exclusively.
Snagit is well suited to capture screens for troubleshooting and tutorial purposes. We build documents, sites, and courses with image gathered using Snagit. However, if you're looking for higher features for screen capture such as cursor highlighting, you'll need to look into spending more for Camtasia.

Snagit has limited image editing features, so it less suited for manipulating the images that you capture.
Read Relton McBurrows's full review
Sarah Holdgrafer | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 28, 2018

Snagit is the perfect screencapture tool for help content!

Currently, only my team uses Snagit. We create end-user help content on our user knowledge base and use Snagit to create all our screenshots and gifs. We also create sales and support job aids - including fact sheets, reference guides, and troubleshooting guides. All of these often need screenshots and other graphic representations, which Snagit is ideal for.
Snagit allows us to keep our screenshots consistent across all documentation and provides tools for image manipulation that are very easy to use and create good-looking images. The image library provides great image management and the annotation and other tools allow us to show, hide, and highlight the appropriate parts of the images easily.
  • simple image and video capture - you can capture regions, full-screen, scrolling regions, webpages, menus, text, etc.
  • easy sharing capabilities - share with screencast, share to Camtasia and other platforms, save directly to drive.
  • easy editing - blur, crop, fill, annotate, highlight, markup, align multiple images, size, stamp. create presets and build editing libraries for specific uses
  • library organizing - tagging is simple but there doesn't seem to be a way to bulk tag or remove tags. it would also be great to have other organizing options besides tagging
It's perfect for end-user documentation screenshots and gifs. You can do all the image editing and manipulation you need without all the Photoshop bells and whistles (and training). It's also a good image editor in general, so importing photos and doing simple image editing (markup, annotations, stamps, blurs, etc) is again much simpler than more complex programs like photoshop. And it has far more features than a free editor like GIMP.
Read Sarah Holdgrafer's full review
James Kayten | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 01, 2019

Should be much better by now, but it's not.

I use Snagit on an occasional basis when the need to provide imagery comes up. I used it extensively while learning a CAD program and for consulting support. I also use it to record any number of absurdities that arise on websites that are supposed to provide customer support.
  • It's very useful for sharing in a variety of formats
  • It can be used to create a process video
  • It's relatively inexpensive
  • The annotation and editing tools are clunky
  • The interface is unattractive and uninspired
  • Trying to do anything more than the basic task of taking a screenshot is a nuisance.
As I've already stated. The simple task of taking a screenshot or selection thereof is simple enough, but the viewer and the editing tools and interface are clunky, poorly designed and unattractive. Snagit is an application one will readily replace when something better comes along.
Read James Kayten's full review