Snagit Reviews

Cindy Lalowski | TrustRadius Reviewer
My team uses Snagit to document work instructions and process instructions. This tool is very easy to use and to teach others to use. It captures real time data and allows you to insert step by step instructions right into the software you are using or a document you are creating for others to use.
  • Captures real time data from a page on your desktop that you are viewing.
  • I really like the ability to either use an arrow as a pointer or to circle certain information on the document/page.
  • In particular we use the insertion of text to enter instructions or describe what we are pointing to.
  • Sometimes there is a limitation on the size of the window we are trying to capture so it cuts off a bit.
I really like that this tool is a one stop shop that allows you to enter clear cut instructions for any user to follow. I've had very positive feedback from users describing how they like the format of the instructions and how easy it is to follow. I've actually showed employees how to use the tool and they have purchased for use in their departments.
Read Cindy Lalowski's full review
Gary Davis | TrustRadius Reviewer
Snagit is used primarily for screen capture to be included in HTML-formatted emails, documentation in pdf or doc format, and our HelpDesk ticket system. The IT department mainly uses this for developers and DevOps as well as the marketing department in creating tickets.
  • Snagit provides easy screen capture when tied to the PrnScrn Windows keyboard key (or other assigned key).
  • Once a region is captured, it is easily edited to reduce the image size and resolution as well as annotate with the highlighter, pointer, shape, and other "tools."
  • Captures can then either be copied to the clipboard for pasting in emails or saved as files in various formats.
  • I find the Snagit editor handy for editing existing images by cropping, resizing, annotating, etc. as an alternative to other image editors.
  • Snagit can capture images that are larger than displayed by automatically scrolling the image. Sometimes, this does not work well; either the resulting image is not complete or not scrolled at all (version 13).
  • Snagit has many functions and can get confusing. Basic functionality is easy, but some advanced features require a learning curve and viewing of tutorials.
  • I find some settings are not remembered. For example, drawing a rectangle around something to highlight may hide what's inside the rectangle. I then have to undo that shape, enable a transparent fill (instead of white fill), and try again (version 13).
I like Snagit and use it daily. I recommend the utility to everyone, including my wife and kids.
Read Gary Davis's full review
John Chavez | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is used for editing images and for creating short videos and demos. What I enjoy about Snagit is how easy it is to take something from an image, a website, even something like youtube and copy it and paste it for your own usage. Once you do that Snagit it gives you all kinds of options in order to be able to change and manipulate the image, more importantly, though it is very simple to use and anyone can learn it.
  • Ease of use, you can literally pick this up and start using it immediately without much training.
  • It has a lot of options once you cut and clip your image, do you want to turn it into a picture? Edit it? All easy to use.
  • Can change your media from an image to a graphic.
  • There isn't anything that I don't think it doesn't do well.
Snagit I think is best suited if you are an instructional designer and have to pull images from the internet because you don't have an internal marketing team or aren't a graphic designer yourself. Snagit as a stand-alone tool can help you create thousands of images/videos if you are talented enough to understand how to manipulate an image/video for your needs. It really is a very encompassing tool.
Read John Chavez's full review
Dinesh Selvachandra | TrustRadius Reviewer
As a software company, we often need to create user documents and presentations based on application screenshots. Snagit makes it easy to draw an illustrate the functionalities in a very clean graphical manner.
  • Full of features and many export options.
  • Editing is very easy and all the necessary tools are available.
  • there are multiple modes of capture, even video with makes it an all in one tool.
  • The software has gotten very big with new versions.
  • Unable to do partial scroll capture.
  • The quick capture tool is big, sometimes its annoying.
When you need to get some graphical document done base on screenshots, this is the best all in one solution out there.
Read Dinesh Selvachandra's full review
greg van stekelenburg | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 01, 2019

Snagit review

It's used by the sales department. Allows capture of data for developing presentation information, reports, documents.
  • Very good range capture
  • Allows basic editing to captured image
  • Allows you to save an image effectively
  • The scrolling web page capture can be a little hard to use.
  • Sometimes active drop down disappears and you have to go into app to restart it.
Very effective for capturing screen images and letting you do basic editing. Great for pointing out areas to focus on in an image with arrows etc.
Read greg van stekelenburg's full review
Snagit is currently being used across the organization. We use it exactly as one would use a snipping tool but we're able to add annotations, text, and shapes which makes it much easier to use than snipping tool. It just makes it easier to capture a screen in a still or video form to share.
  • Ease of use.
  • Intuitive.
  • Tool switching.
  • Context menu shortcuts.
Snagit does very well for quick captures or screenshots. I feel as though doing video capture could be a little easier. There are some issues when trying to convert it to a gif. Overall I think it does its job very well and I believe future improvements will make it perfect.
I use Snagit in the creation of training materials and supporting materials. When we need detailed, picture-based instructions, Snagit is PERFECT. When you need to send quick instructions that are made on the fly to an employee via email, Snagit provides just-in-time instruction that provides not only excellent instruction but also looks professional.
  • Picture-based instruction
  • Quickly made, professional instructions for “just-in-time” training and guidance.
  • It would be great to have the ability to import designs to use as permanent, selectable effects for other pictures.
  • More keyboard shortcuts for specific effects
Snagit is the ideal tool to create instructions for the software. It is easy to design pleasing, professional instruction that is easy to view and make sense. If you need to edit a picture and remove color, etc. quickly, Snagit is also excellent. While it does not have the horsepower of something like Adobe Photoshop, it works to get the job done. And, it’s so easy to use, you can quickly throw to gather some instructions to email team members who need assistance.
Snagit has been my 'go-to' capture software for over 21 years. Simple to use, it does the job of capturing selections or scrolling open windows. I can confirm or tweak capture size as needed. Snagit lets me edit the contents later, add notes, join (paste) other capture(s), grab text (editable, copyable), and save as a .snag(it) file or other formats including PDF.
  • Dynamic selection(s) capture
  • Grab text (most useful)
  • Draw a temporary line, rotate image to that vertical or horizontal line orientation (straighten)
Snagit works extremely well for doing screen-captures of selections, windows, and auto-scrolling. Easy to save in .snag(it) editable format or other popular image formats. Snagit keeps years of snagged (recallable) images in its history library. Capturing purchase images and descriptions (like from Amazon). Very useful every day.
December 07, 2019

Snagit Review

Snagit is currently being used by our Learning Management System department and allows us to capture screenshots within our LMS. It gives us the ability to create job aids for our users.
  • The layout is very simple and not clustered.
  • Saves screenshots in one space to use access easily.
  • The ability to share content to our SME’s for review.
  • More options to share images.
  • More visual options.
Snagit is well suited for creating visual presentations either by using the image capture option or video recording option. The ease of use and layout within the program is very beneficial as an admin. We create visual job aids within a PDF or through video.
We use Snagit to principally capture screenshots. Screenshots are important in our day to day Software Validation work since it is used as evidence that software works (or not) as expected. Snagit offers a lot of editing options, which are fantastic.
  • Snagit offers a lot of editing functionality.
  • Snagit allows capturing videos.
  • 200% better that the sniping tool.
  • Honestly, I cannot figure out how Snagit could be better than that.
We use Snagit to capture evidence during software verification and software validation. The classification of screenshots, as well as the editing options, allow us clear reporting. For us, Snagit is well suited for all aspects of our daily work. I cannot identify scenarios where the application should be improved. It is a high-quality application.
We use Snagit for its superb screenshot capabilities. We started buying licenses many years ago and our users love it so we kept buying and using it. Its editing features are its most loved ones. I love the modern and simple look, while still having all the features available. The zoom option allows for exact screenshotting. We not only use it for documentation but the Web Design department is also a fan.
  • Screenshot options are plenty.
  • Editing is superb.
  • Lots of export options available.
  • Can't think of a mentionable downside. Product exists for years and I think they nailed it!
Making screenshots, editing them and exporting to a variety of formats. If you need more options than the default Windows/Mac screenshot capabilities. If you create documentation this product is a must! Easily the best on the market.
Thomas Kleinschmidt, CIM(R) | TrustRadius Reviewer
Right now only a few of us use Snagit. We're constantly needing to communicate complex things so a simple keyboard shortcut gets the job done in most cases and with only a few minutes in the editor to add graphics/captions/clarity.
  • Ability to have a simple keyboard shortcut and direct the image.
  • We have shortcuts to direct the capture to various programs: clipboard, Word, Powerpoint, directly just to the editor.
  • Scroll capture for long webpage clips.
  • Very useful to grab screenshots of webinars!
  • Editor top menu seems to default back to previous factory icons...it seems to lose the tools I put up manually, and I use these tools frequently.
Useful in all areas. I like the Library for things that need more editing I can pull up. Other software not as easy or can't pull up/edit images.
Read Thomas Kleinschmidt, CIM(R)'s full review
Rick Juby | TrustRadius Reviewer
Snagit is being used by our small team of people. We use it for modifying and grabbing content as we send emails and having the right content in the right format is critical to our messaging. Snag it helps us modify images by cropping or adding text or simply using a screenshot with an error to show a process change.
  • Snagit allows me to quickly grab an image and save it in a graphics format.
  • Snagit allows me to capture a full-screen capture that is below the fold so I do not have to copy multiple pictures.
  • Snagit allows me to add audio to screen capture. This is very helpful for training purposes.
  • I would like to see Snagit incorporate more arrow styles.
  • I would like to see Snagit offer more creative examples of how other customers use Snagit.
  • It would be nice to have Snagit create a users group where others can show case cool things that they have done with Snagit.
Snagit is great when you need to cut an image from one document and modify it quickly so that it can be used for presenting content. I like this feature because I often need to bring images into E-Marketing software and it needs to be formatted with specific dimensions. Snagit allows me to do this quickly so I can meet my tight deadlines.

When I need to send a process training document or video. I quickly go to Snagit and record the audio and pull in an image with a voice overlay. The ability to crop a picture to a specific size with appropriate ad-hoc wording is essential in my business. Snagit helps me get this job done very quickly and efficiently.
Read Rick Juby's full review
Lisa Durant | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use SnagIt across our organization as our standard screen capture software. I use it as a senior technical writer for both capturing still screenshots and videos. We use the screenshots in our manuals, release announcements, and training. I also use SnagIt to record meetings with screen sharing being presented (such as product demos).
  • Captures selected portions of a screen.
  • Allows immediate editing of captured images and videos.
  • Allows video trimming.
  • Allows annotation/adding arrows, etc. in an appealing format.
  • Snagit does tend to crash occasionally - especially when I go to record a video.
  • Snagit also tends to crash when I am saving large video files.
  • Snagit does tend to freeze up when handling large files.
SnagIt is my go-to tool for taking screenshots of our guides. I would absolutely recommend it for taking screenshots and for adding things like highlighting, text, and arrows to these screenshots. It's also excellent for recording short videos. The one area where it's maybe NOT the best tool would be for recording meetings. SnagIt really isn't meant for this, I don't think. I think it makes more sense to use recording software that is bundled with your meeting software to ensure you capture the best audio quality.
Read Lisa Durant's full review
Jamie Drahos | TrustRadius Reviewer
Snagit is being used by individual contributors at our organization. Clearly, the primary function is for screenshots, but it also works well for basic video editing, gif creation, and training step layouts. Techsmith continues to add useful functionality to Snagit, which makes the nominal upgrade fee acceptable. The gif creation tool has allowed us to create basic training steps by screen-recording the process and publishing to a gif. This made the roll-out of our new eCommerce solution easier with basic training on each screen.
  • Screenshot markup is fantastic and has become the standard for a simple workflow.
  • Gif creation from videos/screen-recordings is a great feature.
  • Training step layout is a promising new feature that can replace MS Word for basic process instruction.
  • Combine the capture and editor tool into one. They have always been separate, but it would be less confusing for new users if they were just one program.
  • Computer resource management. The program will take away some of your CPU and memory even when idle. I understand this for the video functionality, but I feel this is one area that could be optimized.
  • Better editor toolbar. As Techsmith adds new features to the editor, they are hidden under a sub-menu of the main toolbar. This causes me to forget about some functionality because it is not front and center.
Anyone that has to create content from screenshots and/or basic screen-recordings will find Snagit to be a valuable tool. It allows you to be more creative with your images and videos than standard Windows programs.
Read Jamie Drahos's full review
Numerous people in our organization use Snagit. While it isn't automatically licensed for every employee, it's available upon request. We use it in a number of different ways, but I'd say the primary reason is being able to just not take screenshots, but also to mark them up. In Marketing (my department), I will often use Snagit to mark up screenshots of web pages, to show where text should be added/changed, etc.
  • Screenshots and markups
  • Ability to seamlessly run in the background, yet always be within reach
  • Capture scrolling screenshots of an entire webpage, for example, that doesn't all fit on the screen at once.
  • Screen recording has crashed occasionally, losing data (and causing major headaches).
  • Scrolling screen caps don't always play nicely with consistent navigation bars.
  • I don't always love that Snagit retains prior screenshots (rather than simply saving it on the desktop and clearing it from the software) but I can imagine that would be useful for others.
While Snagit is definitely a more full-featured program and can be used to capture screen recordings, I primarily use it for the very simple purpose of capturing screenshots and quickly/easily highlighting, adding text, and otherwise marking up. I made the mistake once of using Snagit to capture audio through my computer to record a podcast, and after an hour-long interview, as I clicked save, the program crashed and lost the entire interview. So, that's something I'd steer clear of.
Our organization uses Snagit across multiple departments and it certainly serves its purpose, and then some. We mainly use it to capture still screenshots, but the tool also offers the ability to capture videos as well. In addition to straightforward captures of images or videos, Snagit has additional tools for editing, which makes it a multi-use tool. It's convenient to not have to use one tool to capture, and others to edit. Overall, Snagit is very easy to use and I enjoy it very much!
  • Captures still screenshots
  • Captures videos (mainly used to show step-by-step instructions in a visual format)
  • Editing tools (such as adding text, highlighting, adding shapes/stamps, etc.)
  • Saving files could be easier
  • Finding previously captured images/videos could be easier
  • Ability to categorize captures
Snagit is great for capturing images and videos. I often use it to highlight important pieces from reports, show walkthroughs, and even help with my day-to-day to do lists. I suppose it's not well suited to share images/videos in real-time, as captures must be taken, saved, and then shared separately.
I am not sure if it's used company-wide but I personally use Snagit to support my deliverables.
  • Snagit is best used for screen capture.
  • It also has editor capabilities for callouts, text, shape, and stamp, etc which is also very handy when creating training materials.
  • You can also highlight certain sections of the capture pretty easily.
  • Snagit can be used for creating any kind of content. I have used it to create training materials and job aides.
  • There are various types of screen selections you could do such as by region, full screen or scrolling window.
  • You could also do borders and filters for effect pretty easily.
For creating training content for system users Snagit is perfect. I don't think Snagit can be used as effectively for creating videos.
Everyone in my company uses it. It's much easier than taking a screenshot, opening an application, and then pasting it before you save the final file. With Snagit, it's completely instant. You also have so many options. You can save a video or a still image.
  • Screengrab a scrolling window so you get the entire webpage.
  • You are able to crop the image once it's been selected as well as direct email it.
  • You can grab a video of your screen, it's great for tutorials.
  • The video option does not include sound.
  • They are a bit aggressive with updates.
It's great for tutorials. The files are also super small. There are so many options you have. For example, you can add a border. It's great for someone who doesn't have a background in paint or Photoshop or who doesn't know how to post-process videos. Once you have a video, you can delete selections right from an intuitive timeline.
Émilie Grenier | TrustRadius Reviewer
Snagit is used by the training department to create images for Powerpoint presentations. We mostly use it to capture images from our clients database so the new employees can see how it looks like while we can hide personal data. We also capture images from our website, as well as other platforms we want to show to our employees.
  • It is very precise : you can select the exact number of pixels you want to capture.
  • It has a very good array of tools you can use to modify your image.
  • It is very user friendly and intuitive.
  • I would like to be able to make the backgound of an image invisible more easily.
  • It would be interesting to have access to a lasso tool like the one in Photoshop.
  • I could not find a third one, I am very satisfied with the product.
Snagit is very useful when you need to make screen captures that need to be very precise and aesthetics. The precision with wich you can select certain areas of an image is surprising. It has the option to select exactly what you want or to select certain frames of the screen which is very helpful when you have to present frames from an application for example.
Read Émilie Grenier's full review
Relton McBurrows | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our department is focused on learning and development. We use Snagit to capture screenshots (photo and video) for use in tutorials. Outside of our department, Snagit is used to screen capture issues with systems that I help to manage for troubleshooting. Creatively, Snagit steps in where most use Microsoft's Snipping Tool. Often times for our tutorials, we need to capture a delayed still. Snagit accomplishes this task with ease.

• Snagit handles delayed screenshots extremely well.
  • Abilities to add frequent functions to your profile for quick access is a great time and effort saver.
  • Seamless connection to video editing resources is a great bonus for increasing workflow efficiency.
  • Snagit doesn't do a good job of remembering your last chosen file type. If I'm capturing and saving my images mostly to PNG, I would expect the application to save primarily to PNG.
  • Likewise, an ability to apply a naming scheme to files would increase efficiency.
  • Snagit isn't a full function image editor, but adding more tools to its belt would improve my likelihood to use this product exclusively.
Snagit is well suited to capture screens for troubleshooting and tutorial purposes. We build documents, sites, and courses with image gathered using Snagit. However, if you're looking for higher features for screen capture such as cursor highlighting, you'll need to look into spending more for Camtasia.

Snagit has limited image editing features, so it less suited for manipulating the images that you capture.
Read Relton McBurrows's full review
Sarah Holdgrafer | TrustRadius Reviewer
Currently, only my team uses Snagit. We create end-user help content on our user knowledge base and use Snagit to create all our screenshots and gifs. We also create sales and support job aids - including fact sheets, reference guides, and troubleshooting guides. All of these often need screenshots and other graphic representations, which Snagit is ideal for.
Snagit allows us to keep our screenshots consistent across all documentation and provides tools for image manipulation that are very easy to use and create good-looking images. The image library provides great image management and the annotation and other tools allow us to show, hide, and highlight the appropriate parts of the images easily.
  • simple image and video capture - you can capture regions, full-screen, scrolling regions, webpages, menus, text, etc.
  • easy sharing capabilities - share with screencast, share to Camtasia and other platforms, save directly to drive.
  • easy editing - blur, crop, fill, annotate, highlight, markup, align multiple images, size, stamp. create presets and build editing libraries for specific uses
  • library organizing - tagging is simple but there doesn't seem to be a way to bulk tag or remove tags. it would also be great to have other organizing options besides tagging
It's perfect for end-user documentation screenshots and gifs. You can do all the image editing and manipulation you need without all the Photoshop bells and whistles (and training). It's also a good image editor in general, so importing photos and doing simple image editing (markup, annotations, stamps, blurs, etc) is again much simpler than more complex programs like photoshop. And it has far more features than a free editor like GIMP.
Read Sarah Holdgrafer's full review
James Kayten | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Snagit on an occasional basis when the need to provide imagery comes up. I used it extensively while learning a CAD program and for consulting support. I also use it to record any number of absurdities that arise on websites that are supposed to provide customer support.
  • It's very useful for sharing in a variety of formats
  • It can be used to create a process video
  • It's relatively inexpensive
  • The annotation and editing tools are clunky
  • The interface is unattractive and uninspired
  • Trying to do anything more than the basic task of taking a screenshot is a nuisance.
As I've already stated. The simple task of taking a screenshot or selection thereof is simple enough, but the viewer and the editing tools and interface are clunky, poorly designed and unattractive. Snagit is an application one will readily replace when something better comes along.
Read James Kayten's full review
Melissa Odom | TrustRadius Reviewer
Snagit is used at my organization on a per user requested system so I'm not sure how wide-spread it is since I'm not in IT. I know the majority of people on my two teams of HR and Learning & Development use it and love it. I have often used it while in a meeting or demo and people have asked what it is since it was so many more features that the Snippet tool and then they request it from IT.
  • Quick screen grabs to refer to later. They can reside in the library or be saved out in many different formats. I often grab a screenshot to have it one monitor while I move to a different part of the system I grabbed the screenshot from as a reference when making system changes.
  • Once you capture the screenshot you can highlight, magnify, blur out, add a big red arrow etc. This is perfect for a quick email to someone to help support what they are trying to do or add to your documentation.
  • The ability to select a region, window or many other quick tools really helps narrow down what you want to show.
  • Panoramic capture is the bomb! You select your area, then start the capture then scroll through the data and it captures it all in one screenshot!
  • You can create a quick video with a voice over and save as MPEG to send to a user or tech support to better explain than typing out what problem you are seeing.
  • So easy to use and intuitive!
  • I seriously can't think of one thing yet each time they have a release it has some new cool thing. I've been using them for 20 years and 3 different organizations and cannot live without this software.
I use this multiple times on a daily basis and can't think of anyplace I would not find it appropriate. I use it to create technical documentation, show a colleague something I am seeing (way better than words!), create a step by step problem recreation for tech support, capture a scrolling error message, and the list could go on endlessly.
Read Melissa Odom's full review
Bart Caylor | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 26, 2018

Snagit...Lifesaver

We use Snagit to show small videos and tutorials of how to update websites. We also use it to illustrate updates in design and for art direction on websites and design files.
  • Very good at quick screen captures
  • Great a explanatory videos
  • Good to point out issues and proof design documents and provide direction
  • I also use it to annotate sketches and illustrate concepts.
  • Sometimes the scrolling feature doesn't work the way it should. I often have problems when capturing a website through the scroll feature.
  • I just downloaded the newest version and I think it will address some of my concerns with layering. Sometimes a base layer is hard to manage.
  • I would like to capture YouTube videos and have the ability to download them. I use other software now for that.
Explanatory videos, demos, short explanations.
Read Bart Caylor's full review