SPSS Statistics is a software package used for statistical analysis. It is now officially named "IBM SPSS Statistics". Companion products in the same family are used for survey authoring and deployment (IBM SPSS Data Collection), data mining (IBM SPSS Modeler), text analytics, and collaboration and deployment (batch and automated scoring services).I trust SPSS for my analytic needs.SPSS is used only within our Member Insights Department and is used as our primary quantitative analysis tool. We use SPSS to handle all of our survey data needs, except for data collection. We use it to extract data out of our membership SQL database, pull a random sample of relevant members, match up to our collected survey data with relevant stored member data, and analyze the survey results to include in our reports and presentations. Our analyses always include descriptive measures (frequencies or means/medians), often include inferential measures (e.g., chi-square, ANOVA), and less frequently predictive measures as well (e.g., logistic regression).,Biggest advantage: allows us to save all of our data manipulation and analysis instructions (SPSS calls it "Syntax") so that we can understand what we did, say, one year from now. This can be critical, especially if you are conducting year-over-year comparisons, or re-analyzing data in a new way after the primary reporting has been completed. Pretty tough to understand what was all done, say, in an Excel spreadsheet. Has all of the analytic capabilities we have needed so far (well, except for Random Forest). We use the Tables module a ton to create most of our crosstab kind of results, and SPSS gives you a lot of flexibility to create different kinds of tables with the same set of data. I learned SPSS when only Syntax was available, but I really appreciate being able to browse through the menus, and then just paste the Syntax you need. It also comes in handy when you're just playing, trying out different ways to look at the data.,SPSS has for a long time touted it's "new and improved" graphing capabilities, and while they are that, they still have flexibility issues (or I just haven't found how to correctly use the software). For instance, why are data labels in a bar chart restricted to appearing only within the bar itself? Sure, you can have them at the bottom, middle, or near the top of the bar, but why not, say, just above the bar? When dealing with qualitative data, say comments from survey respondents, occasionally we run into characters likely typed by the respondent, which SPSS doesn't know how to handle, so it converts it to a space. It took me a while to figure out that it wasn't a space at all, and was wondering why my Syntax wasn't working (still assuming it was a space). It would help if SPSS could convert unknown characters to something more obvious. Biggest headache using SPSS is dealing with the IBM hierarchy when needing customer support or even upgrading to the new version (which comes out annually). In order to upgrade to v26 in April 2019, I eventually found out I needed not just an Authorization Code, nor a Full License Code, but also a Lock Code and spent way too many hours attempting to straighten this out with IBM customer support. I handle purchasing the upgrades too, and that task is not straightforward either. I miss the SPSS support before they were acquired by IBM.,8,We are able to efficiently conduct new or recurring projects by reusing stored Syntax.IBM SPSS: A Senior Stats Swiss Army Knife That Scales With YouAs an IT professional in the Student Affairs division of the California State University system, I recently had the opportunity to undertake a data research project examining the impact of computer- vs. paper-based administration on writing proficiency assessment scores, across a large number of demographic dimensions. Being fortunate to have access to a very large number of cases (greater than 40,000), I needed to upgrade from spreadsheet statistical analysis packages to a professional statistical product -- both to expedite the overall number-crunching, but importantly to take advantage of automation opportunities such software packages can provide. I chose SPSS as it enjoys substantial support on my campus.,SPSS has been around for quite a while and has amassed a large suite of functionality. One of its longest-running features is the ability to automate SPSS via scripting, AKA "syntax." There is a very large community of practice on the internet who can help newbies to quickly scale up their automation abilities with SPSS. And SPSS allows users to save syntax scripting directly from GUI wizards and configuration windows, which can be a real life-saver if one is not an experienced coder. Many statistics package users are doing scientific research with an eye to publish reproducible results. SPSS allows you to save datasets and syntax scripting in a common format, facilitating attempts by peer reviewers and other researchers to quickly and easily attempt to reproduce your results. It's very portable! SPSS has both legacy and modern visualization suites baked into the base software, giving users an easily mountable learning curve when it comes to outputting charts and graphs. It's very easy to start with a canned look and feel of an exported chart, and then you can tweak a saved copy to change just about everything, from colors, legends, and axis scaling, to orientation, labels, and grid lines. And when you've got a chart or graph set up the way you like, you can export it as an image file, or create a template syntax to apply to new visualizations going forward. SPSS makes it easy for even beginner-level users to create statistical coding fields to support multidimensional analysis, ensuring that you never need to destructively modify your dataset. In closing, SPSS's long and successful tenure ensures that just about any question a new user may have about it can be answered with a modicum of Google-fu. There are even several fully-fledged tutorial websites out there for newbie perusal.,SPSS syntax is somewhat archaic, no doubt due to its long tenure and a desire to maintain backwards compatibility, so it may add to the learning curve for otherwise experienced script writers. The syntax editing window is somewhat unwieldy when compared to modern IDEs, and can be laggy; sometimes mouse cursor accuracy is unpredictable when one attempts to select a particular word or line of syntax. Counterintuitively, perhaps, SPSS has so many ways to achieve the same ends -- GUI, syntax, legacy functions vs. updated functions for visualizations, etc. -- that it can be hard for new users to find the "right" (quickest, simplest, most transparent) way to do things; it's an embarrassment of riches that may confuse and overwhelm novices.,8,Personally, SPSS allowed me to complete a complex and demanding statistical analysis project for my institution in a far shorter time than it would have taken with free statistical analysis packages; it gave me the ability to succeed without extensive training, and allowed me to dimensionalize and analyze my dataset with a very high level of confidence in the results. Importantly, I was able to quickly complete my analysis project across many dozens of dimension thanks to SPSS syntax, which I was able to quickly duplicate and modify as needed, dimension by dimension.,SPSS facilitated my analysis project, which allowed me to deliver evidence of statistically-significant testing mode effects to my institution. My research is expected to influence testing administration policies and procedures going forward, ensuring that student test-takers are appropriately, efficiently, and effectively served in future. Because I was able to deliver sophisticated and significant analysis quickly and easily, my department has received a great deal of positive attention from various university officials.,,Tableau Desktop, Navicat Premium, MySQLIBM SSPS- the way to success!We use IBM SSPS both as a department wide tool and within our smaller lab group. It is primarily used to handle larger statistical analysis problems than can be handled with more simple programs such as Microsoft Excel. The geospatial aspects of it are especially useful and are accessed very regularly.,Geospatial analysis functions Large dataset capability Smooth modeling,Difficult user interface Hard to switch between programs Better export of visual aids,8,IBM SSPS has greatly improved our ability to calculate statistical analysis codes on our geospatial data. We have found that both time management and quality of products are increased when we use IBM SSPS versus when we use another program. It has been an invaluable asset to our work and production.,In addition to having a decided positive impact on our operational efficiency and speed, IBM SSPS has allowed for a much improved seamlessness between what we produce and what we send out to the customers. This has allowed us to spend more time focusing on our data quality and less time on the program issues that are solved with IBM SSPS.,RStudio, RapidMiner Studio, Maplewave, KNIME Analytics Platform, Microsoft R (formerly Revolution R), DataRobot and Alteryx Analytics,DataRobot, Microsoft R (formerly Revolution R), KNIME Analytics Platform, Maplewave, RapidMiner Studio, Alteryx Analytics, Alteryx Analytics Gallery, Alteryx Connect, RStudioReliable companionIBM SPSS is used for various statistical analysis. It is a software that is mostly used throughout the company for varying degrees of research, analytical and some sorts of reporting. For the statistical department, it is mostly used for analyses such as regression analysis, analysis of variance (ANOVA), chi-square and more. Non statistical departments used it for more subtle analysis which are mostly descriptive.,Easy to use Compatible with IT infrastructures Cheaper to own easy to learn,Requires good knowledge of statistics for statistical analyses It requires users to learn how to write CLEM codes,10,it helps to Improve customer services and satisfaction It saves operational timeIt improves operational efficienciesIt improves staff productivity levelit is easy to learn for new employeesit is very compartible with existing databases and other IT it is also compartible with open source packages and other softwareit is very good in generating reports and other outcomes.,Due to the fact that IBM SPSS is used mostly throughout the company for varying degrees of statistical analyses, including research and report generation, it helps tremendously in the reduction costs that are associated with the acquisition of software. Also, due to the comprehensive capability of IBM SPSS, it is used by different departments in the company for various functions, thereby enhancing quick decision. This also helps in saving cost and improve staff expertise.,,JMP Statistical Discovery Software from SASSPSS: An effective business solutionIBM SPSS is only used within the data and evaluation department at my organization. I am the director of the department and when I came on board 3 years ago, I made the decision to use this software based on my experience having used it in the past. I recently hired someone about 2 months ago and requested that she have a license for the software as well - luckily she also had experience with the software. In terms of solving business problems, SPSS helps us analyze large datasets. It is able to do a lot more than Excel or Salesforce - such as statistical testing. We have integrated SPSS with Salesforce and are able to push data into SPSS for easy analysis.,SPSS has both point and click as well as syntax options. I was trained by someone who had worked in SPSS for many, many years and only knew SPSS syntax so I learned how to write code myself. However, it is helpful to have both options. SPSS has great resources online for syntax and defining certain functions/processes. SPSS integrates with SalesForce and allows for a streamlined process by pulling data for easy analysis.,It's my understanding that SPSS cannot do very complex analysis like SAS can. But I personally have not had the need to use it so it hasn't affected me yet. Sometimes SPSS has little quirks that are rules built in that are difficult to get around. Like when you set values to missing (or something related to this) the original string variable cannot be more than 8 characters long.,9,Significant time is saved by using SPSS and SF integration. This includes the actual analysis happening in SPSS and not in Excel. Rather than exporting data from SF into Excel and then importing the Excel file into SPSS. There are a few places where things could go wrong and this would certainly be an operational efficiency. Also the fact that I can do advanced data clean up and manipulation is a huge operational efficiency.,SPSS has allowed my organization to have more advanced tracking and reporting of metrics. It has allowed us to answer various research questions such as likelihood that something will happen or how strong an association is between two things. As a result of these research, there is improved decision making across the organization. It also helps us identify gaps or needs as well as opportunities.,,Salesforce for Nonprofits, GoToMeetingSPSS is a great tool that can handle big datasets and run advance stats. Takes a bit of time to learn.We use SPSS to analyze our survey data. It is solely used by our research department. It helps us organize and analyze our data which we use to create reports.,Handles big datasets. One can use either syntax or dropdown to create variables. Does almost any statistical testing, equations, or modeling desired. Can save datasets into numerous other file extensions. Has various extensions that can be purchased to assist with analysis and visualizations.,Can be a steep learning curve. Not that innovative. Need to update versions every few years. Some in the business say it is antiquated and would rather use other programs. Seems mostly used in survey research and psychology research.,9,Since we all have SPSS backgrounds, it makes our lives easy to work together. And we use Qualtrics for our online surveys, which has an option to upload our data directly into SPSS. This way, we don't have to do all kinds of forming and manipulating of data to get it into SPSS.,It simply makes things more efficient for us. Especially since we have the custom tables module, which allows us to run crosstabulations showing significance between columns.,,JabberIBM SPSS data analysis tool for objective decision making.It is used by the engineering department to prepare reports, investigations, forecasts, systematization, analysis, presentation and for the organization of professional quality data for decision making. Currently, it is used to carry out multiple linear regression analysis for the purpose of forecasting the value of goods and for the application of mathematical financial techniques in order to determine what the alternatives are thay pay towards the efficiency and profitability of the company.,Application of descriptive statistics technique to work with demography. Application of inferential statistics techniques for the investigation of operations with aims that the company is every day more optimal. It offers a spreadsheet for data entry, organization, analysis and reporting of results that allows understanding the behavior of the values, and consequently interpreting the results. It facilitates the analysis of complex data sets for compliance with advanced statistical procedures, offering results of high precision and reliability. It provides the possibility of importing and exporting different types of files, ignoring hidden Excel columns and rows, removing leading and trailing spaces from string values, exporting value labels to a database, and many specific options. that allow us to work in the analysis of data that support decision making.,I do not like graphics tools, I think they are very basic, it would be pertinent to evaluate the graphics tools of other similar programs in order to improve the image of such presentation. Other aspects that I do not like very much is the quality of the results reports because they are not easy to understand and interpret accordingly. I consider that IBM SPSS should look for ways to design a module to improve the presentation of the results. Other things that are cumbersome is the historical results because it has to confuse because the information is disorderly. The reports are very basic, little colorful and confusing. I have used graphics tools to show certain results, personally I do not like them very much, I think they can improve their presentation.,7,The use of IBM SPSS tools has been very important for objective decision making because it has made it possible to analyze complex data [and we] have been able to identify potential elements for the growth of the company. These strategies have brought positive change in the economic indicators of the company because it has been more efficient in the use of time, more efficient in the fulfillment of tasks and activities, and to be more coherent in personnel changes and distribution of the company.,The application of the techniques of IBM SPSS has brought a commercial impact considering that it is used for the analysis of data of complex situations. The tool for decision making is very favorable considering the accuracy and reliability of the results. The application of statistical techniques through the use of IBM SPSS has been very favorable for the growth of the company because now it is more efficient, consequently to obtain better income and greater profitability.,RStudio,Wrike, Skype for Business, Tableau Desktop, WordPressGreat tool for statistical analysisI was in the School of Communications at BYU, and for statistical analysis, SPSS seemed to be the standard. While I didn't ask every professor about it, SPSS was the only tool taught in the quantitative methods class at the graduate level, as well as the undergrad research class. It is a powerful tool used for running statistics for research, and while not the most user-intuitive, it is a standard in the academic community. Much like a calculator, it allows for researchers to run numbers and decide if their hypothesis is true or not.,Regression analysis Chi-square analysis One-way ANOVAs Descriptive statistics Huge data sets,The user interface is unwieldy Macros are used to fill holes in the functionality of the software (which is good and bad, these things should later be implemented) The learning curve is ridiculously steep,9,Well, without SPSS many academics would have trouble running the numbers. While there are many stats professors who could manage, most of us in the social sciences would have to resort to other tools (such as R) to do our statistical analysis. SPSS allows for the crunching of data to happen at record speeds, giving professors the leg up on pushing out their publications.,Like I mentioned earlier, with IBM SPSS quantitative research can be much quicker and more efficient than its counterpart, qualitative. While not always the case, it is often just a matter of pushing a few buttons to get the results. While a lot more analysis and synthesis of what these numbers mean are required for the research aspect, it is comforting that as a business, the School of Communications benefited greatly with SPSS as a tool.,Qualtrics, MailChimp, Google Analytics, Zoho Campaigns, JIRA SoftwareIBM SPSS ReviewIBM SPSS is an analytics software, also used for data mining that enables users to conduct basic and advanced statistical analyses. I used SPSS departmental for a period of time to facilitate a team outside my main organisation to cross-validate results coming from different tools. The platform proved quite easy to get used to and the simplicity of the software made the research convenient.,Ability to handle large volumes of data User-friendly that makes the software easy to understand No special technical knowledge is needed since everything, from testing statistical models to predictive analytics, is already implemented The simplicity of the interface make the teaching process to other members of the team very fast and efficient,There are other great statistical software packages that are open source The simplicity and user-friendliness of SPSS comes with a functionality trade-off The functions of SPSS lack in terms of graphical capability which can be a major obstacle to a novel data analyst,7,Using SPSS has proven to be very time saving and efficient when it comes to training staff to use the software. There is little room for mistakes which makes analysis results trust-worthy especially compared to results deriving from large amounts of hand written scripts.,The fact that results are produced quickly and team members are fast to teach combined with the opportunity I had to use the software for free, made this a good experience.,,RStudioIBM SPSS is a great tool for beginners as well as experts.We use IBM SPSS for our small start-up business. It helps us see where we started, what we have accomplished, what we need help on, and what is expected to occur next, according to our data.,Very easy to use. The interface is easy for beginners. User-friendly. It has a broad range of statistical uses, especially when dealing with large data sets.,The visual output depiction is not at the quality I would expect. It has taken extensive amounts of time to find syntax issues. I have to use other programs for things like visuals, and that is not time effective.,9,It has had a positive impact on customer retention, and we have had an increase in new clients as well. Our client quantity and retention prediction have been mostly accurate as well. Not the best on time savings because we use a different program for visuals.,IBM SPSS has positively impacted and improved our decision-making, identification of new opportunities and competitive advantages for our small business, and we have experienced revenue growth.,IBM API Management, FourKites Predictive Visibility Platform and Google Ad Manager,Google Ad Manager, Google Ads (formerly AdWords), Google AnalyticsSPSS is suitable for entry level analystsI am the only one I am aware of who uses SPSS for data analysis. It allows me to calculate statistics of dataset easily. So it saves me time.,Easy to use, the user interface is intuitive to me. Can be suitable for entry level analysts. Easy to learn, I can drag and drop items in the interface. User friendly.,Does not have very technical features in R and other sophisticated statistics software. Sometimes I experience lags to load large datasets. Data visualization on SPSS can be improved now that we have Tableau as a competitor for data visualization,8,SPSS saves me time on getting basic stats of dataset. Otherwise, I'd have to calculate through Excel, which takes more time and is not streamlined.,It saves me time on basic data calculation, so I could focus more on the analysis part rather than the calculation part of projects.,SAS Advanced Analytics,SAS Advanced Analytics, Tableau Desktop, RapidMiner Studio, SAS Enterprise MinerSPSS is versatile, user-friendly, and robust!We use SPSS to analyze data and generate information for reports. We use it to facilitate communication with contacts. Our department is one of the only ones in the organization using SPSS.,SPSS creates helpful output that can be adapted for producing report and presentation content. SPSS allows the novice to use drop-down menus and the expert to use syntax. It also helps novices become experts by allowing you to paste and adapt syntax to meet needs. SPSS has a wide variety of analytical techniques that are available in the statistical package. It is user-friendly.,A visual presentation of output in SPSS is lacking. I would never use graphs and charts as they appear in SPSS output unless I had no other alternative. If I am working from a file that is located on a networked drive and I leave the network, SPSS frequently crashes. SPSS is a large application that consumes significant resources. Especially if certain errors are present in complex and lengthy syntax, SPSS can take several minutes to process, even on a top-tier computer system.,10,It's impossible to tell how much time we are saving by using SPSS. I can't imagine any process or software that could function as efficiently or effectively and accomplish the set of tasks that we accomplish by using SPSS. SPSS is extremely versatile and adaptable. New hires immediately get immersed in SPSS, they learn quickly, and they continue to learn throughout their experience in the organization. SPSS facilitates productivity at all stages of one's developing abilities in research.,We have been able to evaluate the effectiveness of multiple product alternatives designed to serve communities and groups of people throughout the world. As we discover the most effective methods of serving the people and uncover the greatest opportunities for improvement (through our use of SPSS), we provide information that helps in the process of making informed and inspired decisions.,SAS Advanced Analytics,QualtricsAnalysis and Accurate Statistical Studies.The product is used by the entire organization as a tool to detect deficiencies and efficiencies in productivity and improve decision making through statistical reports on the productivity of workers. In the field of business, you can detect failures through statistics and solve them on time.,Generation of charts and graphs with statistical precision. I get what it takes to perform data analysis without using other similar software. It adapts to the needs of the statistical study that is intended to be carried out.,It slows down when using large volume of information. The license seems expensive to me. Being a specialized software requires prior knowledge in the area of statistics to make the most of it.,10,The application of the product has had a positive impact motivated to the improvement in the decision making based on the analysis and statistical studies of the processes carried out by the organization, measures have been taken to improve the productivity of the workers and have been solved operational failures thanks to the monthly statistical evaluation.,Regarding the impact on the commercial, the product has generated a vision of growth, the workers to see monthly the numbers of their productivity are motivated to improve their capabilities and address those deficiencies in which they may be incurring. This software is really a great tool to improve the management.SPSS - although outdated, it's still efficient and useful.SPSS is used by the entire organization for our data analytics after retrieving the data from the field (online or phone surveys), as well as used for sample management. Its capabilities are used to discover trends and percentages of the data.,High capabilities - crosstabs, frequencies, descriptive statistics, quartiles, automatic recoding, etc. Easily understood - it may take a moment to understand its capabilities, but once you start to understand, you can pick up fast. Powerful - can handle a lot of data at once.,Outdated - the aesthetics are pretty bad and the functionalities aren't descriptive enough sometimes. Doesn't always perform the way you want it to - sometimes I would run something while the file was split, but it wouldn't work. Syntax is not always intuitive - finding an error in the syntax is difficult Data is needing to be configured in excel after pulling from the SPSS output - there's a lot of formatting that takes place and isn't adjustable in SPSS.,9,It's what drives our clients and our success. Without it, I'm not sure what we'd use.,SPSS is used for all the reports that we've created for our clients. These reports drive our clients' strategic plans for their success.,Qualtrics, Delivra, SurveyGizmoPerhaps the best GUI stats suite for beginners available todayI'm an instructor in the English Department and the IT/research tools staff in the Linguistics Lab. I use SPSS to analyze linguistic data and I also help students use the software. We use SPSS in our Linguistics Lab primarily for statistical analyses of social sciences data, especially related to Sociolinguistics and Teaching English as a Second Language.,SPSS offers powerful functionality for virtually any statistical operation one needs (at least in my field, the social sciences). There's also tremendous and versatile online support from both IBM themselves and others who have created helpful walkthroughs for performing various statistical analyses. The output also looks nice and is fairly customizable.,The interface isn't very intuitive at all and is mostly just a bunch of drop-down menus with little direction. Bottom line: You really need to know about stats before you use this software. However, because it is the leading GUI stats software, there is abundant documentation for this software both from IBM and from universities and others that detail how to do various operations (and interpret the output).,9,SPSS has proven to be an invaluable tool for running basic statistical operations (we can do much more advanced and specific things in R), and helps us to introduce linguistics students to statistical analyses of language data.,N/A,R Studio,TeamViewer, OneNote, Zoom, Qualtrics, Google DriveIBM SPSS - Great data analysis toolIn my workplace, we tend to gather as much data as we can about our coworkers. By doing so, there's plenty of data to be analyzed. Even more, I also do research and data analysis regarding client's briefings. As such, SPSS helps me analyze relationships among variables, by performing regression analysis, ANOVAs, etc.,SPSS is a pretty easy to use software. It comes with many available actions that will allow you to do many analysis. It you feel like something is missing, you can always do some coding on the syntax in order to "tell" SPSS specifically what you are looking for. It allows you to download and use addons that make it an even more complete software.,The data visualization options are really poor. The software is great for data analysis, but when you think about making a presentation or something like that, you will have to rely on other softwars to do so. It can take a while for a newbie to master it. The price is a bit high, specially for a single customer.,10,SPSS makes it easier for the intelligence team to analyze data from our gathering partnerships. Most market research companies do not provide a deep analysis on the data they gather; instead, they just gather it and send a simple report. When that is the case, we ask them to send us the original database and, when they do, SPSS allows us to do a deeper analysis.,Obviously, as being a tool that allows us to get a better understanding of the data (and, thus, of people), IBM SPSS makes us a more profitable organization, since it provides us with the tools to get the knowledge regarding customer's consumer habits, customer's beliefs and how parallel variables moderate such behaviors.,Microsoft Power BI,Microsoft Power BI, Slack, DropboxSPSS Great ToolSPSS is used by a variety of our senior-level scientists and Directors to perform ad hoc analysis of data. The sources of data include manufacturing information, clinical trial information, and preclinical information. It avoids having to go back to our consulting biostatistician for items that we are straightforwardly able to accomplish. This results in lower cost and more fluid turnaround time.,A broad variety of statistical tests Handles various types of data Relatively easy to use and share,Some degree of validation assurance - ala an FDA perspective on validation of the system - would be very helpful More cost-effective options in using SPSS,8,In the recent analysis of clinical trial data, it allowed us to mine data quickly and make midstream corrections in the data analysis and approaches. Had we had to send every inquiry to our external consultant statistician, it would have taken much time, cost lots of money for each additional analysis and our people would not have gained the insight into the data which they gained by reviewing and analyzing these data themselves.,See prior question comments. We believe the impact was significant in decision making and identification of new insights into how this new drug molecule worked that we had not previously anticipated.,,JMP Statistical Discovery Software from SAS,10,1,Human clinical trial data ad hoc analysis Preclinical data analysis Manufacturing stability data trends and analysis,Supplement biostatistical analysis often done in SAS,Broader use for rapid turnaround analysis by users,9Good transition software for dealing with mixed-methods data for first timersI use SPSS to combined datasets, easily modify individual cases, input quantitative data, collect/ modify qualitative data, and conduct quick parametric and non-parametric analyses.,Imputing mixed-methods data Quick user-friendly analyses Non-parametric statistics,Limited coding capacity for modifying the analysis Need to manually add in code for follow-up analyses Not easy to modify and track database management Only prints up to 2 decimals in the output,7,SPSS has made it very easy to convert our datasets into multiple types of formats like SAS. In addition, it reads multiple types of formats like Excel and SAS.,We use it to track data collection to provide process evaluation data for intervention programs.,JMP Pro and SAS Advanced Analytics,QualtricsSPSS the best menu-driven statistical program.SPSS is used in various pockets throughout the institution by both researchers and administration. It is far from the only statistical tool in use, but because many of the administrators were trained in colleges of education it is the most commonly used tool. Further, as a menu driven tool, the learning curve is easier for new users who enter administrative departments. Note that in MOST cases SPSS is being used as a desktop product.,Menu-driven interface allows for new, non-programming users to become productive quickly. This capability is significantly stronger than competing products, whose menu-driven interfaces often lack many important analytical features. Syntax (code-based) interface allows for coding of repetitive analysis and automation. While most tools have this, it is an invaluable piece of the software that allows for access to less common options and provides a clear way of documenting any process. Further, SPSS puts the syntax for each command into the output file, making it easy to see exactly what command resulted in what output. The output from SPSS commands has been enhanced to provide most of what an analyst needs in order to make a decision. This is helpful for new analysts, as it can guide them in the direction of a more complete analysis. SPSS is rock solid. This is a well-established product with 24 versions under it's belt.,While substantial improvements have been made, the graphic capabilities remain opaque syntax-wise and relatively rigid through the menu driven interface. You need to know what you are doing, and even then the graphs created are not necessarily the best looking. I tend to extract the data and build presentation graphs in other tools. Data mining capabilities are provided, but at a HUGE cost in a different tool. As a non-profit, SPSS Modeler is out of our price range. Picky thing - SPSS does not compute marginal effects. Tools like SAS, STATA and R either provide those calculations automatically or at the very least make them trivial to get at. SPSS can't do it at all. From an econometric perspective, this is a HUGE drawback. I'm not sure we need a new version with new licensing every single year. This is especially the case if you aren't pushing the limits of the feature set.,9,SPSS provides the ability to get new analysts up and running more quickly than programming-oriented language, while still providing the flexibility you would expect in a code-able tool.,Depends on the department - Improved decision-making throughout the organization, but also student retention and progression improvements, financial savings in procurement and other tasks.,SPSS has made repeatable (yearly) analysis a reality, with minimal maintenance and therefore substantially less analyst time after the first year. It's hard to put time saved into $$ but the increase in time available for other tasks has been statistically significant.,SAS/Access and JMP Statistical Discovery Software from SAS,Tableau Desktop, Microsoft Office 365,500,,Statistical analysis of research projects Predictive models using logistic regression,none that I can think of.,None for base SPSS - new ways to use it will involve purchasing SPSS modeler.,10,No,Product Features Prior Experience with the Product,No change, since it was skills I learned prior to this position that drove the selection. If I didn't know ANY tools, however, I don't know whether SPSS would have won out or not. Never underestimate the power of teaching your tool to college students.,Implemented in-house,No,Change management was minimal,A new version is released every year and keeping up with those versions and their licensing has proven a challenge in a large organization.,8,No,7,No,Menu-driven interface makes nearly everything easy to do Built in identification of duplicate records based on one or more criteria,You cannot get marginal effects,No,9SPSS - Simple, Easy to Use but PowerfulAt my current and previous organizations, SPSS was used primarily for data analysis, typically for small to medium sized data sets. From what I know, SPSS is one of several statistical software packages used at my current and previous organizations.,Very user friendly - the point and click interface of SPSS allows users to complete their activities simply and efficiently. Unlike other statistical programs, SPSS doesn't require knowledge of specific code. Very easy to pull in data from multiple sources or enter in data manually. Clean, simple format and it's clear where to go when you to view data and where to go to view the variables and their labels.,Limitations with incorporating weights (when using data from nationally representative samples). From what I understand, SPSS doesn't handle large amounts of data particularly well. I find it more useful as an analysis tool than a data management and cleaning tool.,8,For research purposes - SPSS is a streamlined, easy to use analysis software. Allows analyses to be conducted in an effective and efficient manner. Saves time and resources needed to learn and train staff on coding for specific platforms (like R or SAS).,SAS, Excel and JMP,25,Administrative outputs Analysis of national datasets Analysis of primary data (experimental),5SPSS - a great interface and easy to use for basic statistical analysisIt is being used across the organization. IBM SPSS is used for analyzing quantitative data. Specifically within our department, it is used to conduct t-tests, various types of ANOVAs, regressions, and mediation/moderation analysis. It provides the opportunity to conduct statistically rigorous data analysis that can then inform trends in the field of marketing. We use it for publications in academic journals. The problem it addresses is identifying new ways to conduct marketing that are more effective than previous methods. By running experiments to look at product evaluations before and after marketing changes, we can use IBM SPSS to identify if one marketing tactic is better than another. It helps academics, students, and practitioners alike.,Dialogue boxes. I love that IBM SPSS has drop down menus, which are much better than some of the other statistical packages that require you to write purely in code. Customizable. You can add in dialogue boxes of your own or from other users in your field. Specifically for the field of marketing, a macro known as PROCESS is used to conduct mediation analysis. This is not standard with SPSS, but the program is customizable so I can add this custom dialogue box to my set of menus. Dual Licenses. I appreciate that when I purchase SPSS, I get a license for my laptop and another for my desktop. This helps keep costs down, but enable accessibility from wherever I need access to the program. Fast. The speed of SPSS has definitely improved over the last several versions. Running stats tests are very quick, usually just a matter of seconds.,Renewal licenses. I didn't like when SPSS turned from purchasing the program outright to 6 month licenses. In the long run, it makes things more expensive as each change seems to be incremental. I could still run all of my necessary statistical tests on a version that was 2 or 3 versions ago. If you are running structural equation modeling (SEM), you may find it easier to operate solely in another program. While they do allow data transition from AMOS to SPSS, sometimes it can be clunky. Processing capabilities. If you have a slow computer, SPSS is going to be a pain to run. Installation takes up all the memory on one of my even faster computers, so I have to not try to run excess items while running SPSS.,9,SPSS has contributed to more research being produced at our institution which contributes to the reputation of our university. It also saves time over computing tests by hand. Mostly though, it allows for happier employees who are able to use software that functions well and is intuitive for the user to operate.,SPSS has improved the content of research produced by the university. Users of the software are able to run stats tests very quickly, have reliable results, and can also communicate with colleagues at other institutions that use the same software. This allows for a competitive advantage in the sense of employees wanting to stay at the current institution.,It has enabled our university to attract better students who seek a university high in the rankings from academic publishing (and SPSS is required for the data analysis for those publications). With the increased costs of 6 month or 12 month licenses, it has decreased ROI on student fees because more money is spent on renewing licenses to the program. It has also increased ROI as we are able to attract better talent that desire to have this as the base program they use.,stata, amos and lisrel,Snagit, Adobe Acrobat DC, Google Drive,500,,Research. Assists with academic research to identify trends in the industry. Education. Teaches students how to use research software that they may use in their future careers. Information. Provides in-depth information regarding behavior of employees and clients.,Analyzing trends in student test scores. Understanding how climate influences employee happiness. Comparing accuracy of current work with past work.,Better conducting re-tests of prior studies to verify accuracy that could have been conducted with different software. Better train undergraduate and graduate students alike in how to use the software for their future careers.,10SPSS Statistics 23--First Choice for Novice & Experienced Researchers!I use SPSS Statistics 23 to complete and to guide personal as well as student research projects at the doctoral level. The entire graduate school has access to this software and most graduate students choose to use it in assignments and projects. We use it to analyze data and to teach research. In an educational environment, it is essential that students be provided guided experiences when learning about statistical analyses. For many graduate students, a capstone project, doctoral study, or dissertation is their first opportunity to do independent research. Across our university, SPSS is the go-to software that we provide access to and that we recommend for student researchers. It provides a uniform platform for educators and students alike to explore different analyses and learn to interpret their findings and results. As there are many ancillary supports and guides available, it is easy to find tutorials or support for students (or colleagues!) that may need guidance in using SPSS or in learning a new analysis.,SPSS provides a menu-driven board from which to select the appropriate analysis and variables. Having user-friendly processes is key in creating accurate data analysis, especially with new researchers. SPSS offers advanced analysis processes for advanced users; novice users can simply "ignore" these bells and whistles until they are needed. Having the versatility to support experienced and new researchers is an important niche in education. SPSS provides exportable graphics that can enhance external reports and communication of findings. This feature is super helpful, especially for new researchers who need to include graphics but who may not know how to make them from scratch. SPSS continually updates their software, enhancing it to meet user needs or changes in the research field. As educators working in an ever-changing environment, having software that keeps pace with the culture and field is imperative.,Some new researchers are still overwhelmed by "all the choices" and menus in SPSS. Students may feel insecure or indecisive about how to explore it and properly complete assignments or research outcomes. Although there are many external you tube how-to videos and support via a quick Google Search, the internal "help" tools are sometimes as complicated as the original problem. Creating "How to Run SPSS for Dummies" that is available INSIDE the product would be wonderful! Any support that is "on-site" builds confidence and security in new users. Sometimes the terminology inside SPSS does not exactly mirror the research language a student or novice researcher finds on other websites. If SPSS provided a glossary of research terms and interchangeable meanings etc it would be a great support. I have found many resources to support or explain SPSS integration into research courses. I think it would be a tremendous benefit to have some of these ancillary support websites or services noted and recommended from within SPSS. Although this offering may require collaboration or partnership with other organizations or products, I see the relationship as an opportunity to enhance the user-friendly nature of SPSS and also improve SPSS's reputation as a software for educators.,10,Although I do not participate in the use of SPSS for our internal number-crunching and analyses for retention and productivity, I do know that SPSS is used to accomplish these tasks. In the day to day lives of me and my colleagues, SPSS saves us time by providing a platform that we can share with our graduate students and work through research tasks. Without it we would have to find new software or use just a spreadsheet that we embed our own functions into. I am grateful for SPSS's sofphistication and even it's visual capacitiy that allows results of analyses to be exported into tables or figures that are easily APA compliant. These characteristics are big improvements over old versions of SPSS and allow the output to work well with APA formatted research or publications.,Without SPSS, our department would lack the appropriate flow of feedback and growth that is expected to occur in an asynchronous environment between facilitators and graduate students. As we all have access to this software and can install it on our laptops or PCs once employment or enrollment is verified, it is essential in online meetings, discussions, and problem solving during the research process. It is a huge factor in my productivity with my students.,In education, we do not quantify our objectives in that we have 10 new SPSS users or productive researchers etc. However, we do regularly introduce students to SPSS through classwork assignments, support their use in their personal research projects, and also supervise them as they become independent SPSS users. 100% of all my graduate and doctoral students choose to use SPSS for their personal research while in school and also after graduation! Their positive experiences with SPSS in school create a framework that encourages them to continue using SPSS for their data analytics. Although all students do not continue to do personal or job-related research post-graduation, those that do choose SPSS! Using SPSS allows me to asynchronously interact with my graduate students so that I meet the objectives of teaching and instructing in methodology as well as data analysis.,excel,MindGenius, Adobe Acrobat DC, Taskstream-Tk20, SumTotal elixHR Platform,,,I use SPSS to run any quantitative analysis for my personal research. I meet with my online graduate students online or by phone and we work through homework or research issues using SPSS. I use SPSS to create visual output from analyses for publications and research studies. They are easily adaptable for APA formatting etc. SPSS is also the software used to run institutional numbers relative to enrollment, attrition, and productivity.,I do not think our use of SPSs is innovative in that the software is designed to complete all the tasks that I try to use it for! To me, innovation is about using something in a creative way other than what it was intended for. SPSS is so well-designed, it is suitable for everything I try to do! I used SPSS to create a quantitative analysis of qualitative data sets. I entered responses into a spreadsheet and coded them by characteristic or topic. I was then able to create subgroups in my sample and run analyses between subgroups to show differences, trends, and patterns. These were helpful in better understanding the predictive behavior I was investigating in the study.,Any time we need an analysis of data, we turn to SPSS first. I know I will continue to do this, even if the task does not seem to fit the standard protocol.,10SPSS is essential for quality data analysisIBM SPSS is used by our organization for data analysis and reporting procedures. We evaluate various social programs and use data to support social programming across the state and nationally. This gives us the tools to easily summarize data and find statistically significant information to share with our stakeholders, policy makers, and social service providers.,Summarizing descriptive statistics Labeling variables and input data Utilizing programming language to easily generate reports,Learning curve is steep for some users Interface can be complex at times Does not run well on older computers we sometimes have to use,8,IBM SPSS is the statistical package universities hope to use for quantitative data. Without SPSS, we would be hand counting or using spreadsheet software to find statistical meaning and creating charts. IBM SPSS is a one stop shop for analysis and presentation in charts, graphs, and visuals. Without this, we would use up many more work hours trying to present data.,IBM SPSS is the statistical package provided to us by the larger university departments. It helps us in our grant writing, evaluation services, and in making recommendations for policy and procedure change, helping us fulfill our mission and doing so with a solid knowledgebase.,Trello, Google Drive, Tableau PublicSPSS is okay. Better alternatives out there for the priceI used SPSS for a semester as a student and explored it, as an individual, as an alternative to the current analytics software we are using. The business problems it can address are similar to other analytics software. SPSS is overall a powerful tool that can be used to for segmentations and regression analysis with their own 2-step segmentation analysis for segmentations.,Segmentation Regression Tech support,Very clunky in the user interface. Old. Creating value labels Very expensive,6,Good to learn analytics though it isn't my first choice of analytics software and the options out there Very expensive Requires a huge time investment to get up to speed on how to use it.,JMP Statistical Discovery Software from SAS and Tableau Desktop,JMP Statistical Discovery Software from SAS, Tableau Desktop,2,2,Statistical analysis Creating charts Banner reports,Nothing really,Predictive modeling,10,No,Product Features Product Usability Prior Experience with the Product Existing Relationship with the Vendor,If I could get in my preferred software, I would use that over SPSS. But, it's good enough to get the job done. SPSS simply just needs a massive overhaul on the user interface. Also, if they could add in other analysis capabilities such as conjoint analysis and creating DOE, that would sway my design more over the interface.,Banner reports Significance testing,Nothing is too difficult to use. Interface is a little old and not too intuitive.,No,6SPSS for the health care researcherI use it to statistically analyse clinical research data for publication. I teach doctors to use it as well as academic researchers. I teach SPSS statistics to PhD students in a number of graduate schools, in the UK. SPSS is great entry to statistics and data manipulations for non-statisticians. It is simple to use with its online help manuals, only a click away.,The menu driven functionality makes it easier for non-statistician to use the software. Easy to import Excel files into SPSS, for powerful analysis. The built-on tutorials using the sample files and scenarios, are useful for self learning.,The newest version has so many choices to choose from that may intimidate a new user. The landing page of the newest version 24 is less crowded.,9,Its save time previously thrown away at manipulating data in Excel.,Speed at which data is converted into information is great.,It save time to use SPSS compared with Excel The statistics are more accurate.,,10
IBM SPSS

IBM SPSS Reviews

IBM SPSS

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019
Filter 141 vetted IBM SPSS reviews and ratings

Do you use this product? Write a Review
Chris Keran profile photo
July 30, 2019

I trust SPSS for my analytic needs.

• Biggest advantage: allows us to save all of our data manipulation and analysis instructions (SPSS calls it "Syntax") so that we can understand what we did, say, one year from now. This can be critical, especially if you are conducting year-over-year comparisons, or re-analyzing data in a new way after the primary reporting has been completed. Pretty tough to understand what was all done, say, in an Excel spreadsheet.
  • Has all of the analytic capabilities we have needed so far (well, except for Random Forest).
  • We use the Tables module a ton to create most of our crosstab kind of results, and SPSS gives you a lot of flexibility to create different kinds of tables with the same set of data.
  • I learned SPSS when only Syntax was available, but I really appreciate being able to browse through the menus, and then just paste the Syntax you need. It also comes in handy when you're just playing, trying out different ways to look at the data.
  • SPSS has for a long time touted it's "new and improved" graphing capabilities, and while they are that, they still have flexibility issues (or I just haven't found how to correctly use the software). For instance, why are data labels in a bar chart restricted to appearing only within the bar itself? Sure, you can have them at the bottom, middle, or near the top of the bar, but why not, say, just above the bar?
  • When dealing with qualitative data, say comments from survey respondents, occasionally we run into characters likely typed by the respondent, which SPSS doesn't know how to handle, so it converts it to a space. It took me a while to figure out that it wasn't a space at all, and was wondering why my Syntax wasn't working (still assuming it was a space). It would help if SPSS could convert unknown characters to something more obvious.
  • Biggest headache using SPSS is dealing with the IBM hierarchy when needing customer support or even upgrading to the new version (which comes out annually). In order to upgrade to v26 in April 2019, I eventually found out I needed not just an Authorization Code, nor a Full License Code, but also a Lock Code and spent way too many hours attempting to straighten this out with IBM customer support. I handle purchasing the upgrades too, and that task is not straightforward either. I miss the SPSS support before they were acquired by IBM.
SPSS is well suited to our survey data and analysis needs (but not data collection). It also works well for our data mining needs. Most of the staff I hire were exposed to SPSS in college, but either way, there is a learning period to understand how to document your work using Syntax (even if pasted from the menus) and I utilize mostly online resources to help them get up to speed.
Read Chris Keran's full review
Benjamin Plotkin profile photo
June 28, 2019

IBM SPSS: A Senior Stats Swiss Army Knife That Scales With You

• SPSS has been around for quite a while and has amassed a large suite of functionality. One of its longest-running features is the ability to automate SPSS via scripting, AKA "syntax." There is a very large community of practice on the internet who can help newbies to quickly scale up their automation abilities with SPSS. And SPSS allows users to save syntax scripting directly from GUI wizards and configuration windows, which can be a real life-saver if one is not an experienced coder.
  • Many statistics package users are doing scientific research with an eye to publish reproducible results. SPSS allows you to save datasets and syntax scripting in a common format, facilitating attempts by peer reviewers and other researchers to quickly and easily attempt to reproduce your results. It's very portable!
  • SPSS has both legacy and modern visualization suites baked into the base software, giving users an easily mountable learning curve when it comes to outputting charts and graphs. It's very easy to start with a canned look and feel of an exported chart, and then you can tweak a saved copy to change just about everything, from colors, legends, and axis scaling, to orientation, labels, and grid lines. And when you've got a chart or graph set up the way you like, you can export it as an image file, or create a template syntax to apply to new visualizations going forward.
  • SPSS makes it easy for even beginner-level users to create statistical coding fields to support multidimensional analysis, ensuring that you never need to destructively modify your dataset.
  • In closing, SPSS's long and successful tenure ensures that just about any question a new user may have about it can be answered with a modicum of Google-fu. There are even several fully-fledged tutorial websites out there for newbie perusal.
  • SPSS syntax is somewhat archaic, no doubt due to its long tenure and a desire to maintain backwards compatibility, so it may add to the learning curve for otherwise experienced script writers.
  • The syntax editing window is somewhat unwieldy when compared to modern IDEs, and can be laggy; sometimes mouse cursor accuracy is unpredictable when one attempts to select a particular word or line of syntax.
  • Counterintuitively, perhaps, SPSS has so many ways to achieve the same ends -- GUI, syntax, legacy functions vs. updated functions for visualizations, etc. -- that it can be hard for new users to find the "right" (quickest, simplest, most transparent) way to do things; it's an embarrassment of riches that may confuse and overwhelm novices.
SPSS is well-suited for academic environments, given the strong foothold it has in the educational and research institutions of the world; it helps if your institution has a licensing agreement as it is not free to use indefinitely (although a 14-day free trial is available). As it is a powerful and complex statistical analysis package, it is a good fit for large and otherwise unwieldy datasets and analytical projects.

SPSS is probably not a great fit for individual users doing simple statistical analysis, as much of this level of work can be accomplished at no cost using Google Sheets and an add-on such as the XLMiner package.
Read Benjamin Plotkin's full review
Shelby Bowden profile photo
August 09, 2019

IBM SSPS- the way to success!

• Geospatial analysis functions
  • Large dataset capability
  • Smooth modeling
  • Difficult user interface
  • Hard to switch between programs
  • Better export of visual aids
IBM SSPS is one of the best geospatial analysis tools on the market, possibly only exceeded by ArcGIS. It is very good with handling large and complicated datasets and manipulating these for statistical purposes. Unfortunately it can be a little non-user friendly and takes quite a bit of time to get used to.
Read Shelby Bowden's full review
Olayinka Awoyemi profile photo
March 20, 2019

Reliable companion

• Compatible with IT infrastructures
  • Cheaper to own
  • easy to learn
  • Requires good knowledge of statistics for statistical analyses
  • It requires users to learn how to write CLEM codes
  • It is used by the research and development department for the entire benefit of the organisation. Some other individuals outside the research and development department also have it.
  • It is mostly used for data preparation, including coding and data migration; It is also used for data presentation.
  • It is used to prepare staging tables and platforms for other applications.
  • Above all, it is used for various statistical data analyses.
Read Olayinka Awoyemi's full review
Jillian Papa profile photo
December 17, 2018

SPSS: An effective business solution

• SPSS has both point and click as well as syntax options. I was trained by someone who had worked in SPSS for many, many years and only knew SPSS syntax so I learned how to write code myself. However, it is helpful to have both options.
  • SPSS has great resources online for syntax and defining certain functions/processes.
  • SPSS integrates with Salesforce and allows for a streamlined process by pulling data for easy analysis.
  • It's my understanding that SPSS cannot do very complex analysis like SAS can. But I personally have not had the need to use it so it hasn't affected me yet.
  • Sometimes SPSS has little quirks that are rules built in that are difficult to get around. Like when you set values to missing (or something related to this) the original string variable cannot be more than 8 characters long.
I would say if you are not proficient in other statistical software packages and only want to use point and click, SPSS is the product for you. If you want to do more complex analysis, SPSS may not meet your needs.

I think other than those two things SPSS is well suited and you can use SPSS in all scenarios
Read Jillian Papa's full review
Dennis Junius profile photo
November 16, 2018

• Handles big datasets.
  • One can use either syntax or dropdown to create variables.
  • Does almost any statistical testing, equations, or modeling desired.
  • Can save datasets into numerous other file extensions.
  • Has various extensions that can be purchased to assist with analysis and visualizations.
  • Can be a steep learning curve.
  • Not that innovative.
  • Need to update versions every few years.
  • Some in the business say it is antiquated and would rather use other programs. Seems mostly used in survey research and psychology research.
Great for large datasets and running advance stats. Once you learn how to use it, it is nimble. It doesn't produce the best viz and is difficult to get into viz programs like Tableau.
Read Dennis Junius's full review
JESUS EDUARDO MEZA RAMIREZ profile photo
October 19, 2018

IBM SPSS data analysis tool for objective decision making.

• Application of descriptive statistics technique to work with demography.
  • Application of inferential statistics techniques for the investigation of operations with aims that the company is every day more optimal.
  • It offers a spreadsheet for data entry, organization, analysis and reporting of results that allows understanding the behavior of the values, and consequently interpreting the results.
  • It facilitates the analysis of complex data sets for compliance with advanced statistical procedures, offering results of high precision and reliability.
  • It provides the possibility of importing and exporting different types of files, ignoring hidden Excel columns and rows, removing leading and trailing spaces from string values, exporting value labels to a database, and many specific options. that allow us to work in the analysis of data that support decision making.
  • I do not like graphics tools, I think they are very basic, it would be pertinent to evaluate the graphics tools of other similar programs in order to improve the image of such presentation.
  • Other aspects that I do not like very much is the quality of the results reports because they are not easy to understand and interpret accordingly. I consider that IBM SPSS should look for ways to design a module to improve the presentation of the results. Other things that are cumbersome is the historical results because it has to confuse because the information is disorderly. The reports are very basic, little colorful and confusing.
  • I have used graphics tools to show certain results, personally I do not like them very much, I think they can improve their presentation.
I would say that it is an ideal integral program for the application of descriptive and inferential statistical methods and for the systematization, analysis, evaluation and organization of data for decision making.

It offers multiple options for analyzing results that allows individuals or organizations to understand or present a report of a certain situation.

I would tell you if you want to make quality charts and easy to understand report look for another program.

It contains a multifunctional easy-to-use and understandable spreadsheet that offers the possibility of working with any database, as well as options that allow a lot of content to be left in rows or columns and perform the respective statistical analyzes.

I recommend inferential statistics tools because they are very complete, which allows people or organizations to obtain complex results ideal for making strategic decisions.

Read JESUS EDUARDO MEZA RAMIREZ's full review
Jared Hansen profile photo
August 24, 2018

Great tool for statistical analysis

• Regression analysis
  • Chi-square analysis
  • One-way ANOVAs
  • Descriptive statistics
  • Huge data sets
  • The user interface is unwieldy
  • Macros are used to fill holes in the functionality of the software (which is good and bad, these things should later be implemented)
  • The learning curve is ridiculously steep
IBM SPSS is well suited for quantitative analysis of academic research. In doing qualitative research, it falls rather short. It has great tools and functionality to meet the needs of both students and professors (across all skill levels) when doing statistical analysis. It works great with Qualtrics which allows you to download your data as an SPSS save file.
Read Jared Hansen's full review
February 08, 2019

IBM SPSS Review

• Ability to handle large volumes of data
  • User-friendly that makes the software easy to understand
  • No special technical knowledge is needed since everything, from testing statistical models to predictive analytics, is already implemented
  • The simplicity of the interface make the teaching process to other members of the team very fast and efficient
  • There are other great statistical software packages that are open source
  • The simplicity and user-friendliness of SPSS comes with a functionality trade-off
  • The functions of SPSS lack in terms of graphical capability which can be a major obstacle to a novel data analyst
Overall, I can see how IBM SPSS can be used by teams with simple objectives when it comes to analytics. It is similarly very appropriate for teaching students about basic notions of applied statistics. However, compared with other statistical software and programming languages, it does not come with great advantages in terms of computational capabilities and customization.
February 07, 2019

IBM SPSS is a great tool for beginners as well as experts.

• Very easy to use. The interface is easy for beginners.
  • User-friendly.
  • It has a broad range of statistical uses, especially when dealing with large data sets.
  • The visual output depiction is not at the quality I would expect.
  • It has taken extensive amounts of time to find syntax issues.
  • I have to use other programs for things like visuals, and that is not time effective.
Overall, it is best suited for determining the value of our products and services, and determining how the value of those products will hold. It is also great, in that respect, for decision making. We rely on it a lot for the organization of our statistical data. Like I have mentioned before, we do not rely on it for visual representations of our data.
December 13, 2018

SPSS is suitable for entry level analysts

• Easy to use, the user interface is intuitive to me. Can be suitable for entry level analysts.
  • Easy to learn, I can drag and drop items in the interface. User friendly.
  • Does not have very technical features in R and other sophisticated statistics software.
  • Sometimes I experience lags to load large datasets.
  • Data visualization on SPSS can be improved now that we have Tableau as a competitor for data visualization
SPSS is suited for entry-level analysts and even managers who prefer to get a little more technical. It is not suitable for sophisticated stats analysis with a large data set.
Mark Jackson profile photo
June 22, 2018

SPSS is versatile, user-friendly, and robust!

• SPSS creates helpful output that can be adapted for producing report and presentation content.
  • SPSS allows the novice to use drop-down menus and the expert to use syntax. It also helps novices become experts by allowing you to paste and adapt syntax to meet needs.
  • SPSS has a wide variety of analytical techniques that are available in the statistical package. It is user-friendly.
  • A visual presentation of output in SPSS is lacking. I would never use graphs and charts as they appear in SPSS output unless I had no other alternative.
  • If I am working from a file that is located on a networked drive and I leave the network, SPSS frequently crashes.
  • SPSS is a large application that consumes significant resources. Especially if certain errors are present in complex and lengthy syntax, SPSS can take several minutes to process, even on a top-tier computer system.
SPSS is useful in analyzing quantitative data to evaluate relationships among variables or groups of variables, to evaluate group differences in individual variables or groups of variables, to evaluate the psychometric properties of a measure or item, to manipulate and process data for use in reports and articles, to document analytical processes, and creating easily digestible analysis output. I use it in studies with thousands of participants responding to hundreds of questions. It enhances my ability to manage and use data.
Read Mark Jackson's full review
Rafael Mejias profile photo
May 30, 2018

Analysis and Accurate Statistical Studies.

• Generation of charts and graphs with statistical precision.
  • I get what it takes to perform data analysis without using other similar software.
  • It adapts to the needs of the statistical study that is intended to be carried out.
  • It slows down when using large volume of information.
  • The license seems expensive to me.
  • Being a specialized software requires prior knowledge in the area of statistics to make the most of it.
It is suitable for analyzing statistical data and formulating statistical quality analyzes. Suitable for generating charts and graphs that represent or summarize the statistical study. Highly suitable for performing complex statistical studies. Inadequate to perform simple tasks, this software is specialized and to make the most of it, it is best to use it in studies that require statistical precision.
Read Rafael Mejias's full review
Rebecca Lynn Kouroupis profile photo
May 23, 2018

SPSS - although outdated, it's still efficient and useful.

• High capabilities - crosstabs, frequencies, descriptive statistics, quartiles, automatic recoding, etc.
  • Easily understood - it may take a moment to understand its capabilities, but once you start to understand, you can pick up fast.
  • Powerful - can handle a lot of data at once.
  • Outdated - the aesthetics are pretty bad and the functionalities aren't descriptive enough sometimes.
  • Doesn't always perform the way you want it to - sometimes I would run something while the file was split, but it wouldn't work.
  • Syntax is not always intuitive - finding an error in the syntax is difficult
  • Data is needing to be configured in excel after pulling from the SPSS output - there's a lot of formatting that takes place and isn't adjustable in SPSS.
I can't think of any scenario where SPSS isn't appropriate. Each tool has a different function, and this platform covers a lot of tools.
Read Rebecca Lynn Kouroupis's full review
Ho'omana Nathan Horton profile photo
March 01, 2018

Perhaps the best GUI stats suite for beginners available today

• SPSS offers powerful functionality for virtually any statistical operation one needs (at least in my field, the social sciences).
  • There's also tremendous and versatile online support from both IBM themselves and others who have created helpful walkthroughs for performing various statistical analyses.
  • The output also looks nice and is fairly customizable.
  • The interface isn't very intuitive at all and is mostly just a bunch of drop-down menus with little direction. Bottom line: You really need to know about stats before you use this software. However, because it is the leading GUI stats software, there is abundant documentation for this software both from IBM and from universities and others that detail how to do various operations (and interpret the output).
If you already know about statistical tests - which to choose, how to run them, and what they mean - this is an outstanding basic statistical suite. I feel that it's prohibitively expensive for an individual unless you're really doing a huge amount of complex stats, but for a university or other institution, this is a nice tool.
Read Ho'omana Nathan Horton's full review
Bernardo Cavalheiro profile photo
February 27, 2018

IBM SPSS - Great data analysis tool

• SPSS is a pretty easy to use software.
  • It comes with many available actions that will allow you to do many analysis.
  • It you feel like something is missing, you can always do some coding on the syntax in order to "tell" SPSS specifically what you are looking for.
  • It allows you to download and use addons that make it an even more complete software.
  • The data visualization options are really poor. The software is great for data analysis, but when you think about making a presentation or something like that, you will have to rely on other softwars to do so.
  • It can take a while for a newbie to master it.
  • The price is a bit high, specially for a single customer.
SPSS is well suited for work in which you have to establish several relationships among variables (regressions, ANOVAS, MANOVAS). It is also suited to work side by side with Excel, since they complement each other. Therefore, SPSS is suited for both academic and professional/organizational setups, as if provides different ways to solve many problems.
Read Bernardo Cavalheiro's full review
June 18, 2018

SPSS Great Tool

• A broad variety of statistical tests
  • Handles various types of data
  • Relatively easy to use and share
  • Some degree of validation assurance - ala an FDA perspective on validation of the system - would be very helpful
  • More cost-effective options in using SPSS
Ad hoc analysis when you need a quick answer as to whether a particular pathway is worthy of pursuing further. It can provide quick assessments of various multiple paths for analytical considerations -- many may prove to not be worthy of further pursuit in depth. This allows the user to provide rapid feedback and avoid additional downstream costs.
May 01, 2018

Good transition software for dealing with mixed-methods data for first timers

• Imputing mixed-methods data
  • Quick user-friendly analyses
  • Non-parametric statistics
  • Limited coding capacity for modifying the analysis
  • Need to manually add in code for follow-up analyses
  • Not easy to modify and track database management
  • Only prints up to 2 decimals in the output
SPSS is great for small datasets, students, or people who struggle with statistics. It is not good for large database management.
Rebecca T Barber, MBA, PHD profile photo
January 15, 2018

SPSS the best menu-driven statistical program.

• Menu-driven interface allows for new, non-programming users to become productive quickly. This capability is significantly stronger than competing products, whose menu-driven interfaces often lack many important analytical features.
  • Syntax (code-based) interface allows for coding of repetitive analysis and automation. While most tools have this, it is an invaluable piece of the software that allows for access to less common options and provides a clear way of documenting any process. Further, SPSS puts the syntax for each command into the output file, making it easy to see exactly what command resulted in what output.
  • The output from SPSS commands has been enhanced to provide most of what an analyst needs in order to make a decision. This is helpful for new analysts, as it can guide them in the direction of a more complete analysis.
  • SPSS is rock solid. This is a well-established product with 24 versions under it's belt.
  • While substantial improvements have been made, the graphic capabilities remain opaque syntax-wise and relatively rigid through the menu driven interface. You need to know what you are doing, and even then the graphs created are not necessarily the best looking. I tend to extract the data and build presentation graphs in other tools.
  • Data mining capabilities are provided, but at a HUGE cost in a different tool. As a non-profit, SPSS Modeler is out of our price range.
  • Picky thing - SPSS does not compute marginal effects. Tools like SAS, STATA and R either provide those calculations automatically or at the very least make them trivial to get at. SPSS can't do it at all. From an econometric perspective, this is a HUGE drawback.
  • I'm not sure we need a new version with new licensing every single year. This is especially the case if you aren't pushing the limits of the feature set.
[IBM SPSS is well suited for] Statistical analysis, fast descriptive statistics and crosstabs, and any area in which those tasks are to be performed by an inexperienced or non-technical analyst. I would lean toward places that are new to applying statistical tests to their analysis, and send people with specific needs for highly complex analysis to other tools.
Read Rebecca T Barber, MBA, PHD's full review
Angela Falisi, MPH profile photo

SPSS - Simple, Easy to Use but Powerful

• Very user friendly - the point and click interface of SPSS allows users to complete their activities simply and efficiently. Unlike other statistical programs, SPSS doesn't require knowledge of specific code.
  • Very easy to pull in data from multiple sources or enter in data manually.
  • Clean, simple format and it's clear where to go when you to view data and where to go to view the variables and their labels.
  • Limitations with incorporating weights (when using data from nationally representative samples).
  • From what I understand, SPSS doesn't handle large amounts of data particularly well.
  • I find it more useful as an analysis tool than a data management and cleaning tool.
From my experience, SPSS is particularly well suited for the analysis of small to medium sized data sets. Also, it is particularly useful for individuals with a good understanding of statistics and the tests that they want to run on their data, but aren't familiar with coding formats (like R or SAS).

I don't find SPSS to be as well suited for managing larger or more complex (weights) data sets.
Read Angela Falisi, MPH's full review
Elizabeth Minton profile photo
January 08, 2018

SPSS - a great interface and easy to use for basic statistical analysis

• Dialogue boxes. I love that IBM SPSS has drop down menus, which are much better than some of the other statistical packages that require you to write purely in code.
  • Customizable. You can add in dialogue boxes of your own or from other users in your field. Specifically for the field of marketing, a macro known as PROCESS is used to conduct mediation analysis. This is not standard with SPSS, but the program is customizable so I can add this custom dialogue box to my set of menus.
  • Dual Licenses. I appreciate that when I purchase SPSS, I get a license for my laptop and another for my desktop. This helps keep costs down, but enable accessibility from wherever I need access to the program.
  • Fast. The speed of SPSS has definitely improved over the last several versions. Running stats tests are very quick, usually just a matter of seconds.
  • Renewal licenses. I didn't like when SPSS turned from purchasing the program outright to 6 month licenses. In the long run, it makes things more expensive as each change seems to be incremental. I could still run all of my necessary statistical tests on a version that was 2 or 3 versions ago.
  • If you are running structural equation modeling (SEM), you may find it easier to operate solely in another program. While they do allow data transition from AMOS to SPSS, sometimes it can be clunky.
  • Processing capabilities. If you have a slow computer, SPSS is going to be a pain to run. Installation takes up all the memory on one of my even faster computers, so I have to not try to run excess items while running SPSS.
IBM SPSS is well suited for basic data analysis for market researchers, academics, and students. It performs all the basic functions (t-tests, ANOVAs, regression, correlations) that people would need to do. However, if you want to get into hierarchical modeling or assessment of data within groups, it can be tougher to run in SPSS and other programs may be more beneficial.
Read Elizabeth Minton's full review
Anissa Harris profile photo
January 08, 2018

SPSS Statistics 23--First Choice for Novice & Experienced Researchers!

• SPSS provides a menu-driven board from which to select the appropriate analysis and variables. Having user-friendly processes is key in creating accurate data analysis, especially with new researchers.
  • SPSS offers advanced analysis processes for advanced users; novice users can simply "ignore" these bells and whistles until they are needed. Having the versatility to support experienced and new researchers is an important niche in education.
  • SPSS provides exportable graphics that can enhance external reports and communication of findings. This feature is super helpful, especially for new researchers who need to include graphics but who may not know how to make them from scratch.
  • SPSS continually updates their software, enhancing it to meet user needs or changes in the research field. As educators working in an ever-changing environment, having software that keeps pace with the culture and field is imperative.
  • Some new researchers are still overwhelmed by "all the choices" and menus in SPSS. Students may feel insecure or indecisive about how to explore it and properly complete assignments or research outcomes.
  • Although there are many external you tube how-to videos and support via a quick Google Search, the internal "help" tools are sometimes as complicated as the original problem. Creating "How to Run SPSS for Dummies" that is available INSIDE the product would be wonderful! Any support that is "on-site" builds confidence and security in new users.
  • Sometimes the terminology inside SPSS does not exactly mirror the research language a student or novice researcher finds on other websites. If SPSS provided a glossary of research terms and interchangeable meanings etc it would be a great support.
  • I have found many resources to support or explain SPSS integration into research courses. I think it would be a tremendous benefit to have some of these ancillary support websites or services noted and recommended from within SPSS. Although this offering may require collaboration or partnership with other organizations or products, I see the relationship as an opportunity to enhance the user-friendly nature of SPSS and also improve SPSS's reputation as a software for educators.
Not to be cliché, but SPSS suits ALL MY RESEARCH NEEDS. It is advanced enough to manage the most complicated quantitative parametric or non-parametric analysis and also clear enough to run a simple t-test for a graduate homework assignment. I have used it departmentally to run metrics on student interactions and academic progress as well as to determine department functionality in working with our students etc. I suspect it would not be suited for someone without any research basics as the menu choice would not make sense at all. I just returned from a week long national conference and everyone I talked to uses SPSS. It is the "go to" in educational research!
Read Anissa Harris's full review
Ember Urbach, LMSW profile photo
January 25, 2018

SPSS is essential for quality data analysis

• Summarizing descriptive statistics
  • Labeling variables and input data
  • Utilizing programming language to easily generate reports
  • Learning curve is steep for some users
  • Interface can be complex at times
  • Does not run well on older computers we sometimes have to use
IBM SPSS is well-suited for summarizing large data sets, comparing data and variables, and finding correlates between and among data sets. SPSS allows individuals to share data sets and work collaboratively. SPSS is not well-suited for analyzing qualitative data or data sets that have not yet been coded, except for small variable changes. SPSS also does not have real-time editing so collaboration cannot occur at the same time.
Read Ember Urbach, LMSW's full review
Si Wong profile photo
January 08, 2018

SPSS is okay. Better alternatives out there for the price

• Segmentation
  • Regression
  • Tech support
  • Very clunky in the user interface. Old.
  • Creating value labels
  • Very expensive
SPSS is great for segmentations and provides a robust platform using the 2-step clustering providing great insight on significance of the clusters. The regression function is great too though. One of the pitfalls of SPSS is that the user interface is rather "old" and could use an update compared to other competitors such as JMP.
Read Si Wong's full review
Elizabeth Wiredu - Data Solutions Services profile photo
January 18, 2018

SPSS for the health care researcher

• The menu driven functionality makes it easier for non-statistician to use the software.
  • Easy to import Excel files into SPSS, for powerful analysis.
  • The built-on tutorials using the sample files and scenarios, are useful for self learning.
  • The newest version has so many choices to choose from that may intimidate a new user.
  • The landing page of the newest version 24 is less crowded.
For learning and teaching statistics using scenarios. Non-statisticians, learning to read in data, editing, importing, manipulating and running summary statistics. Also for advance user, using the syntax to run repetitive routines.
Read Elizabeth Wiredu - Data Solutions Services's full review

About IBM SPSS

IBM SPSS is a predictive analytics software solution that aims to provide users with more meaningful insights from their data and predict what is likely to happen next. This solution offers advanced techniques designed to help companies find new opportunities, improve efficiency and minimize risk.