Overall Satisfaction with Magento Community Edition
Magento is the primary CMS used for e-commerce across the market for good reason. It's open source and built specifically for e-commerce, and the best part of this CMS is it's FREE! It's not as popular a CMS as WordPress, but WordPress isn't built specifically for e-commerce and is well know for it's security issues. It's a great place to start, and can scale with your business as you grow. The benefits of being able to start out for free and grow your online business are difficult to beat.
- As stated before, it's open source and it's free.
- Magento CE is scalable as you continue to grow your online business.
- It is high performance, and highly scalable.
- A key benefit to being open source is that there's a large community and plenty of developer support.
- If you have a large number of products, performance will degrade continually. 10-20 products is no problem but 20,000 or more and there's a noticeable slowdown.
- Your site will not load quickly with community edition.
- It's difficult to roll back changes if you make a modification by mistake. Backup/restore options are not great with CE.
- It has made calculating tax owed much simpler overall compared to other e-commerce CMS we've used.
- Compared to using the Enterprise edition it saves $15,000/year in licensing fees.
- It has increased our customer retention by over 50% compared to our previous platform because we can provide better product updates end to end.
In the past, I've used Shopify, WordPress + Woocommerce and Drupal + Drupal Commerce. Magento CE is much easier to use since it's open source and it's bundled together in one package. It's built specifically with e-commerce in mind so there are no worries about add-ons/integration unless they are completely necessary for a specific type of functionality no included in the primary software package.
If you're looking to get your e-commerce site off the ground Magento CE is a great place to start. It's highly flexible and supports all different kinds of devices for end users. It's multi-tenant so with one backend, several different sites can be setup within it. Lastly, it's very easy to integrate Magento with 3rd party tools.