Power BI is quickly becoming an industry leader
Overall Satisfaction with Microsoft Power BI
- Power BI is constantly evolving because Microsoft is pushing updates to Power BI on a regular basis. This means you'll have all of the newest features or functions without having to upgrade or pay anything extra.
- Power BI is very cost friendly to cost conscious CIOs and organizations. Power BI is priced at a fraction of some of the competing products.
- Power BI has built in connectivity with a plethora of mainstream cloud based data sources. The real bonus is that after you connect to them, Power BI creates a default dashboard for you that is unique to the data source you are connecting to.
- Row based security is not yet integrated with Power BI. To have row based security you need to use Power BI in conjunction with another Microsoft BI tool. The good news is that if you own SQL Server you already own the other tool that you need.
- Power BI is not as mature as some of the competition and some of the visualization features are a bit behind the competition. Power BI is rapidly catching up, however.
- At this point in time, Microsoft only offers cloud based dashboard sharing. Microsoft's strategy for onsite Power BI continues to evolve.
If your organization is bound by very strict rules and regulations regarding cloud based solutions, then Microsoft Power BI may not be for you. In many cases though, the infrastructure behind Power BI is more secure than your onsite infrastructure, but it can be difficult convincing your IT security team that this is true.
Power BI has proven to be a great fit in manufacturing, transportation, retail, and non profit organizations just to name a few. Generally speaking though, Power BI can be a fit for any company that is open to cloud and is especially a good fit for companies that are already invested in Microsoft technologies.