MindTouch - is it right for your business?
February 02, 2016

MindTouch - is it right for your business?

Software Version

MindTouch 4

Overall Satisfaction with MindTouch

We use MindTouch to manage the content on our support portal. Content is either created by myself, or a member of our customer success team. When content is approved it's published instantly on the portal - there's no additional distribution required. The portal is mainly read by our customers who need help with education or troubleshooting our product. As a DIY SaaS platform, giving our customers a self-service support option helps customers find answers quickly, as well as reduces our customer service work load.
  • SEO - Compared to other platforms, MindTouch has auto-generated sitemaps, custom URL structures, meta tags, etc. They've got all the SEO features needed for a comprehensive content strategy.
  • Account management - The team at MindTouch is really engaged with their customers, and have always been friendly and helpful.
  • In-product help - MindTouch has a great system for opening context specific help articles in-product. This has been the main differentiation between MindTouch and other platforms.
  • The MindTouch CMS' WYSIWYG editor sometimes adds arbitrary styles and formatting to your article. So many times I have to go into the source/code editor to clean this up. I feel for the price, MindTouch should really do a better job of this.
  • Despite the number of times MindTouch has attempted to explain Genius link to me, I still don't understand the business case/benefit of it. Just make a great support portal - this seems unnecessarily complex.
  • The biggest con is the price. MindTouch is NOT a cheap platform. Be careful, because once your content is in and set up, moving is very painful.
  • We've seen a lot of traffic come to our portal from the in-product help. We don't have any quantifiable way to measure the impact of this.
  • The ticket deflection form has been useful, and we feel this has helped deflect support ticket submissions - but again, there's no real way to quantify this.
  • Including in-product help has been a big selling point on some of our business development deals.
Where MindTouch really stands out is the in-product help. None of the other solutions have comparable in-product help. In fact, when I called and spoke with a Desk.com rep, she wasn't even sure what I was talking about and had to check with a supervisor.
MindTouch's largest disadvantage is the price, when compared to the other systems. If you don't have a support team, the MindTouch might be the way to go.

But if you have a support team on Zendesk or Freshdesk, you're looking at a comparable annual cost to MindTouch - but you get ticketing as well as a support portal. MindTouch does have some nicer SEO features, but is it that difference alone worth the cost?
Nope, we have not. We use MindTouch strictly as a support platform - it does not touch the customer experience through renewal and upsell. If this is part of MindTouch's master plan, I don't really understand how this is implemented. We have a support portal...but that doesn't magically give us all these benefits.
MindTouch hasn't really affected our strategies at all. Other than the fact that we have a support portal, and we refer customers to articles/tutorials we have posted there. How is MindTouch supposed to affect our marketing and sales efforts? As a longtime user, I this is still not clear to me today.
MindTouch seems to be better suited for enterprise documentation. For small, agile startups - MindTouch is really overkill. The article organization and structure doesn't really make sense for what small teams would expect out of a support portal. As a platform for developers to update documentation, this would make more sense.