Empowering geographically distributed teams and remote working.
November 24, 2022

Empowering geographically distributed teams and remote working.

Leyla Jafarli | TrustRadius Reviewer

Miro has been a very important part of our organisation toolkit, as we use it in various stages of our product development process both individually and as a group. As a whiteboarding tool, it accompanies us while brainstorming and documenting our thoughts. Moving forward in the design process, I use it as a wireframing tool for creating initial design concepts. It helps me to stay low fidelity, as well as easily share ideas across the team to receive feedback directly through stickies. We plan and facilitate workshops with small or big groups through Miro, and the way it is able to scale is a huge game-changer for us. One of our recent use cases is to use Miro for capturing usability testing notes to quickly organize them and do insights mapping. Apart from helping us to produce, I find Miro useful for bringing organization to meetings as well. For example, we have a dedicated board for weekly designer catchup where we update each other on our weekly goals and open necessary alignment discussions. Putting all our updates on the board brings another layer of organization and is a great material to keep up to date for those who missed the meeting.

Pros

• Performance / scalability.
  • Wireframing
  • Workshop materials.
  • Moderation tools (voting, timing, music, etc.).

Cons

• Presentation mode
  • Diagrams & flowcharts.
  • Facilitator view for workshops.
  • Increased productivity.
  • Teamwork
I have only integrated Miro once into Slack in my previous company, and it has been quite a straightforward experience.
Given that we have distributed teams across Europe, without Miro, we simple wouldn't be able to collaborate as efficiently as we do now.

The idea of FigJam was exciting since it would be a good addition to Figma, which is our design tool of choice in the organization. However, it could not deliver enough value and was less sticky than Miro, mainly because of limited functionality.
I believe what makes Miro great is the way it gives all the flexibility to the user to do anything they want with it while supporting it with handy materials to accelerate the process. I found Miro very useful in all of the use cases where I'm brainstorming, trying to produce something with the team, getting feedback, etc. Doing all these activities and putting them into a shareable format on Miro has been quite straightforward. However, when it comes to sharing things with the wider group, I have had challenges using Miro as a presentation tool. I feel like its presentation mode is not sufficient enough to replace traditional slides.

Comments