Updated December 30, 2014
Score 8 out of 10
SharePoint 2010, SharePoint Online, SQL 2008 R2
Overall Satisfaction with MS SharePoint / SQL
SharePoint is used as a document management system, for portals, team sites for collaboration, across whole organization. SharePoint solves one main problem - preserving and managing organizational knowledge.
- Simple to implement in vanilla approach
- Big community
- The main pros: it's big platform which can be customized in very simple way to relevant business need. And this is a big con too
- Good UX
- Based on implementation - not so big maintenance cost.
- Can be fully implemented as self-service approach - users can create sites/libraries/pages by themselves.
- Performance, when implementing in global environment
- Limited actions in OOTB Workflows
- No OOTB option to create Read-only columns in Lists
- No OOTB option to create dependencies between columns in the List
- Too many helper tools, need to know where to use and how to start
- Lock-in with Microsoft
We are using the product and consolidating all our on premise environment into the cloud (Office 365).
What problem do you plan to solve? If it is just one specific problem, you should find the specific product for this problem as SharePoint will be not a good solution. If you want to solve several problems by one platform, like DMS, CMS, BPM, Collaboration then SharePoint is the right solution.