MS Sharepoint is the one collaboration tool you need.
Gene Baker | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 26, 2020

MS Sharepoint is the one collaboration tool you need.

Overall Satisfaction with MS SharePoint / SQL

MS Sharepoint / SQL Server is used as an enterprise solution to allow our teams to collaborate and share information and files. As the enterprise solution, I have used this for several very large programs that I have been in charge of the technical side. One was a massive database retooling for our application suite. The second large program was for a very large divestiture to make sure all data belonging to the divested team is identified and transmitted to the purchasing organization. We have team SharePoint sites set up for both programs and within the various work streams, each workstream had its own site.
  • Collaboration and sharing of information.
  • Security, allowing access to only those individuals with a need to know.
  • It can be a little hard to master so you need to take time to read the various primers available to know how to configure and deploy SharePoint. Do you use Foundation, 365 or Server?
At the time of the two large projects, SharePoint was the enterprise solution so we were required to use that. We have since lobbied the enterprise teams to review and consider Atlassian Confluence and were successful. Confluence is cheaper than Sharepoint which is why we wanted to bring that in. The enterprise has now made Confluence an enterprise solution as an alternative to SharePoint. After using both I think SharePoint has many more add-ins than Confluence. It has much more customization ability than Confluence. SharePoint is not good for mobile readiness. Confluence is so there is a difference that might lead you to Confluence over SharePoint. I would also say that SharePoint is very document-centric and that Confluence has better KM than SharePoint does. even with the use of SQL Server. We were told that we could not use Google Drive even though it had features we liked.
It allows you to connect to MS-SQL Server. It also allows connections to Oracle through the use of OLE DB. So I would imagine any OLE DB compliant database could be a data source. We connect to both Oracle and MS-SQL for various reasons. Both seem to work just fine with no issues.
I would say given the customization features and all of the add-ons available for SharePoint, if the cost is not the issue, this is the product to use. But as I mentioned Confluence is catching up to SharePoint an is far cheaper per my experience. I realize everything is negotiable and you get what you negotiate, but my experience is Confluence is under 1.50 per user and Sharepoint is 35.00 per user give or take. But pricing will depend on your purchasing organization. Sharepoint has great access control and we are able to restrict data and files on a need to know basis. We are easily able to share data with appropriate team members and make reports and info available as we desire. Overall I give it a 10/10. I'm not usually a big MS fan, but they did this one right.
We have used it successfully as mentioned on two large programs, but again it is an enterprise tool so I am only speaking from the standpoint of my team. Hundreds of teams across our enterprise use this every day. We keep our decision tracker out there as well as important program documents required by our SDLC process like requirements, etc. We also publish test results for the team to see. We use SharePoint to share test data across the organization as we can not just email files back and forth. We can rely on the security settings of SharePoint to allow access to only those team members that need to see the test data. And even though our test data is masked, we still control access to it. I would recommend that any team can benefit from using SharePoint and it gives a good place to store program/project files. It becomes the source of the truth and you just keep putting the most current versions and save them to SharePoint.

MS SharePoint / SQL Feature Ratings

Pixel Perfect reports
Customizable dashboards
Report Formatting Templates
Drill-down analysis
Formatting capabilities
Integration with R or other statistical packages
Report sharing and collaboration
Publish to Web
Publish to PDF
Report Versioning
Report Delivery Scheduling
Delivery to Remote Servers
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.)
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization
Predictive Analytics
Multi-User Support (named login)
Role-Based Security Model
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete)
Single Sign-On (SSO)
Responsive Design for Web Access
REST API
Javascript API
iFrames
Java API
Themeable User Interface (UI)
Customizable Platform (Open Source)