Overall Satisfaction with Projectplace
Our Professional and Managed Services department uses Projectplace in two phases of our business timeline:
- Preparing large, complex commercial proposals
- Delivering projects
- Document management: The structure and up/download approach is straightforward. The level of control over access is useful and powerful.
- Messaging/communication: Being able to send messages to individuals or groups, associated with a workspace, or with direct links to a document folder or even a single file is very convenient and flexible.
- Kanban boards: This relatively new replacement for the Tasks tool has taken our team some time to get used to, but one of its virtues is the visual model of seeing the status of everyone's jobs/tasks.
- Risk management: The Issues tool inside Projectplace just isn't sufficient to record and track project risks. Risk management is a key aspect of project management, so it's surprising that Projectplace have never incorporated such a facility.
- Project closedown/archiving: The facilities to move a whole project from Projectplace once it has completed, are weak. There should be a way to package up the important information and documents and download them in once go, rather than with many separate actions.
- Account administration: The tools provide to account administrators are limited. It would be valuable to be able to report on different aspects of how Projectplace is being used, by workspace/group/etc over time.
- Planning: The plan tool is fairly simplistic. Its tasks hook into boards and cards, but it's a closed Projectplace environment. PMs who prefer to maintain their plan using MS Project have only an import option.
- Mobile apps: The Android app provides a poor experience compared with the web interface. I can't vouch for the iOS app (but I suspect it's better!)
- Teamwork Project Manager
TeamworkPM: More modern interface and feature-rich than Projectplace. Cheaper than Projectplace. Weaker on document management.
It's good if you want to run projects with disparate team members, inside and outside your organisation. Choose projects which will benefit from Projectplace's strengths: document management, task management and messaging. Look for other or complementary solutions if you have a very large, complex project or you need to manage resources.