Overall Satisfaction with SQL Sentry
We are using it to monitor our SQL Server instance with customer data on it. It enables me to review the load on our server and also monitor high cost SQL Statements.
- Capture costly SQL Statements
- Alert the Database Administration Staff to deadlocks, blocking and other important issues
- Able to provide management with performance statistics on the database and server
- Some issues monitored to generate a health score I find to be misleading. One example would be % of free space when you have the data files set for autogrowth.
None, I've used SQL Sentry at another job in the past and recommended it to be used at my current job.
SolarWinds SQL Sentry Feature Ratings
Using SQL Sentry
- Provide automated alerts for many conditions
- To help find the most costly SQL Server statements
- Provide ability to track disk peformance
- Provide trending use of disk space
- I can't say we are doing anything innovative, the basic features are rich and I'm sure I'm missing some interesting base functions.
- We are getting ready to set up Availability Groups, this will allow me to monitor them much better than SQL Servers standard functionality
- Better customer service as it alerts me automatically to loss of service issues so I can react and either get things fixed before it impacts the customers or to let my management know as soon as possible
- It helps me find expensive SQL so our customers get better performance and we make better use of our resources
Evaluating SQL Sentry and Competitors
- Product Features
- Product Usability
- Prior Experience with the Product
Prior experience was the most important, I knew how good the product was and the value it provides.
SQL Sentry Implementation
Implementation was quite easy, SQL Sentry also provided a dedicated support person to help me out and follow up shortly after the initial implementation.
SQL Sentry Support
I have always received prompt, professional support. Without fail, they are able to answer my questions and get things up and going.
Problems get solved
Kept well informed
No escalation required
Immediate help available
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
The support staff provided me excellent support when I had to start supporting SQL Server instances on a different domain. The online documentation was incorrect, so the support team was able to find a solution for me that resolved my problem.
Using SQL Sentry
Once you get over the inital hump, SQL Sentry is very easy to use, but also has a great deal of information that is very configurable.
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Feel confident using
- Setting up a new SQL Server Instance to monitor
- Updating the license key
- Modifying the metrics used to alert me
- Sometimes it gets a bit confusing on how to separate global versus local conditions and settings