RDM Reviews

Emeka Obinnwa | TrustRadius Reviewer
Remote Desktop Manager is an application that enables the computer users to log unto another computer (usually company machine), in a remote location, to perform a task.

When such a task involves assisting or troubleshooting to resolve an incident, it is called Remote Assistant. Whatever the case may be, the concept is built on connecting to from a base computer to another computer in a remote location to perform a task.
  • Customer service delivery, whereby you can connect to clients to assist and resolve an incident.
  • Working from home logging onto office based machine.
  • It helps to attend to a problem more quickly, thereby saving the cost of relocation and commuting to distant places.
  • Speed and cost elements are critical here.
  • A case in point is where there are connectivity issues like congestion, poor network, or absence of it.
  • Access control or security concerns that may prevent the service giver from accessing and assisting the client.
  • Where the expected feedback may not be adequately communicated to the service giver due to the client's limited knowledge, this would be different if the assisting Technician/Engineer is physically present.
Where distance (physical location) is a factor, but there are no connectivity issues, it is well suited, but where there is connectivity issue, and the distance and commuting are no problems, physical contact instead of remote desktop is advised. It is a matter of cost and benefit, quality service, and Service Level Agreement delivery.
Read Emeka Obinnwa's full review
Chris Reddy | TrustRadius Reviewer
Remote Desktop Manager is used by many team members within my organization and I recommend it to any users I see using a Remote Desktop type product. It allows for storing and creating various different connection types. It keeps a backup of your connections. It allows for searching for your various connections. Any type of remote connection type that is needed can be accomplished with a single product.
  • Allows for storing large numbers of connection profiles.
  • Multiple connections can be performed at a single time all within a single window.
  • Can backup and restore connection settings or store in the secure cloud.
  • It can track/report on users activity.
  • It could be a little faster to load/startup.
  • It could be a little faster when connecting to remote clients.
If you have a need to support/connect to various remote computers/sites then Remote Desktop Manager is the go-to product. If you only need to connect to a few machines, and don't need different connection types, it's not really the tool to use.
Read Chris Reddy's full review
Ron van Elteren | TrustRadius Reviewer
RDM is being used by the whole organization, at least for everyone involved in remote support to our customers.
That is about 120 users. We used to create manual connections, which was very inefficient. With the use of RDM, almost all customer connections are automated now. My colleagues are now able to work way more efficiently.
  • Centralized information in SQL database.
  • 1 click connection.
  • Logging of all used sessions.
  • Notification when a user has left using a session, so others can start using it.
When a company is connecting very often to remote locations (like to customers), Remote Desktop Manager is simply the best on the market.
Read Ron van Elteren's full review
Raymond Jansen | TrustRadius Reviewer
I'm using RDM since 2011. It's a really easy program where you can store and share (securely) all kinds of connections you can think of. For smaller companies, it lacks security features like 2FA, but for some time now, you can log in to RDM using your Office365 account, where you can set it to use MFA. However, it would be better if also smaller companies could use the native security features in RDM (or DPS). Other then that, I like it!
  • Store every type of connection.
  • Share with colleagues.
  • Not all security features are available for smaller companies (like 2FA).
It's excellent for storing of every type of connection you can think of.
Read Raymond Jansen's full review
Many IT professionals use Remote Desktop Manager throughout our organization. Remote Desktop Manager is a critical component of working in many different server environments. It organizes remote connectivity to servers in such a way that it makes it easy to jump around in and out of servers to do needed work. The folder structure is similar to Windows Explorer and makes it easy to organize the servers in logical groups. Credentials can be managed easily in one place and applied to individual or groups of servers. Lots of flexibility in setting up the environment, this can be a huge time saver if utilized.
  • Remotely access hundreds of servers in a clean and organized environment.
  • Swap back and forth between several live sessions easily with tabs.
  • If using more than one monitor with different resolutions, moving Remote Desktop Manager server resolutions don't match the second monitor when moving from one monitor to another.
I recommend Remote Desktop Manager to any IT professional that needs to manage logging in and out of servers remotely. There are tons of features, but even just for simple organization of servers and credentials and the ability to work in multiple server environments and navigate freely and easily among them, this tool is outstanding.
I use it on a daily basis as my one-stop app for all my daily IT support needs, it means I have quick and easy access to all my client's sites and sessions in one app. Before Devolution's Remote Desktop Manager, I had to use several applications to do the same jobs I now do with just the one app.
  • Massive selection of entry/session/credential/notes.
  • Multiple data source types available to use, some of which are hosted by Devolution themselves
  • Has an addons manager which means if you can't find what you're looking for in regards to entry/session/credential/note types, etc., then you can probably download those via the addon manager.
  • I would like to see advanced auditing in the Devolution's drive data source like there are in some of the others. But that's just something I'd like to see, it doesn't hinder my using the app.
  • I would love to see even more addons available from even more software and service developers, but again the addon manager is great already so it's not a hindrance what so ever.

I've tried many alternatives since discovering Remote Desktop Manager by Devolution's but none have come close to all that Devolution's RDM can do. I am a freelance IT Consultant who does nearly all work now remotely. With RDM I only need the one app for everything I do on a daily basis and I've not come close to utilizing all it's able to do and, if that wasn't enough, the Devolution's Devs keep updating with new features, improvements, and fixes. Also, the Devolution's catalogue is growing and they all work efficiently with one another.

If you can't find an entry type you want to use in RDM then take a look at its add on manger which has even more useful entry types for the majority of the other big named apps out there meaning what you're able to do in one app keeps expanding further all the time.

All I can say is if you use remote desktop managers of some sort then you really must give Devolution's Remote Desktop Manager a go, I'm quite sure you will never look back!!!!!

Jon Ralph | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is used to access our electronic displays remotely. I can run around and plug in a keyboard into each of the PCs that run our electronic displays and work on them directly but it is way more efficient to log into the backend of each and make the change on each of them at the same time. I also use RDM to connect to servers and make changes on them as well. The servers have no local access because they are VMs but I can remote into them and make changes. RDM makes it possible to have all of those connections at the same time on different tabs so I can get a lot of work done is a short period of time.
  • You can connect to many different types of systems, RDP, VNC, SSH, Telnet, VPN, WebDAV, FTP, ARD and more.
  • Your session data can be stored in a cloud system to move them back and forth on multiple devices.
  • You can also send commands to the systems via actions, so if you have repetitive tasks it helps make it quicker.
  • The system takes a bit of screen real estate.
  • It takes a bit to set it up when you have many different systems that you want to connect.
  • There are more features than I will ever find and I wish I knew them all but I can't even expect to find them all.
If you use any system where you connect remotely and have to get into the system from time to time. RDM makes it so you can just make all those connections and never have to input them again. Just click the server/connection you want and you will be able to make changes.
Read Jon Ralph's full review
Andrea Denette | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 07, 2018

Cool Tool

We are using it for our PAM solution as well as other teams are using a central database for a group of servers. It gives a better way to user our PAM solution for RDP purposes.
  • The ability to connect with our PAM tool.
  • Not sure just started using the tool about 3 months ago.
It is a great tool for our PAM solution.
Read Andrea Denette's full review
Francois Fournier | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use it in multiple companies to access my resources. I also use it at home to support my customers. I've created some automatic connections so I don't have to start my VPN connections all the time. I don't have to worry if I'm on site VPNed in or not, RDM does the checking and connecting for me. It saves me time when I'm in a hurry to connect to a resource to fix an issue. Also, I use a shared data source on OneDrive so I don't have to spend my time copying my password to different laptops. Saves me time and hassle. The price is very reasonable and with the amount of time, I save it's well worth the coins. I've been using it for years and have not seen a product that makes me want to change.
  • Creates dynamic connections that don't require me to remember all my passwords
  • Creates dynamic connections that don't require to check if I'm local or remote. RDM does it for me
  • Support multiple types of connections and information repository.
  • Honestly, for my usage, I have not found any missing features. It works great and does what it needs to for me.
My best scenario is going from work to home and not having to worry about being local or needing to remote in. RDM does the checking for me. Plus with my data source on OneDrive, I don't even have to worry about an out of sync password on my different workstations. They are always all in sync even when working at different sites and for different companies.
Read Francois Fournier's full review
Simon David Williams | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Remote Desktop Manager as a business critical application by storing the password for more than 1000 corporate clients. It is used by our internal call center and project staff to connect to the different client sites and IT infrastrucutre. The reason why we use it is to keep the client password secret for our staff and protect the business if we have to replace or fire one of our techs without them knowing the actual password.
  • Prevents passwords from being leaked through the organisation
  • Centralises password information in a secure database
  • Manage our clients in one tool
  • Eventually could be used by users instead of IT staff
  • Slow to load database when you have a lot of files or documentation
Good for IT Businesses managing different IT infrastructure.
Read Simon David Williams's full review
Robin Morris | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 27, 2018

Does a great job

To my knowledge, it is being used primarily in the IT department within various roles. It addresses a need to centralize my credentials with the many servers I manage. It greatly streamlines the management and storage of machine names and credentials. When you manage several hundred to thousands of servers, this is a huge advantage.
  • Centralized repository
  • Ability for a single database for changes to machines
  • The process of linking an external credential repository could be easier
Well suited for large-scale management of server environments, especially when you need to change them frequently. I am not sure of a scenario where it is less appropriate.
Read Robin Morris's full review
I typically say this to people… “Imagine a world where all of the things your users do can be managed in one place and call that island devolution.”

Instead of these users trying to figure out what they’re doing next and having a messy blob of sessions open, everything is organized, embedded, and fast. Lawyers are demanding (and insanely expensive) so the faster production moves, the better off everyone is. I feel like RDM was a critical part of our company’s story… from start-up to the acquisition by Xerox which later split off BPO divisions into Conduent. The ability to keep people focused on the end zone kept my sanity in check and our success driven.

• Batch edit – I have far too many sessions that require user specific modifications
  • Users, Groups, Roles – Critical when fine tuning user experience/destructiveness
  • Macro/Scripts/Tools – Just plain handy and usable… continuous ping for all of those reboots.
  • Love it.
  • Ingest of endpoints/sessions - Could be easier.
  • Memory requirements... not sure there's anything they can do about that since it's not really reinventing the sessions.
Session Management – With around 2000 entries, I guess this goes without saying. I remember a time
when there were a growing number of sessions to manage and the software available was pretty
difficult to use and lacked the functionality that I needed.

User Experience/Hatemail – The interesting thing about this business is that many of the users also need
roughly the same session management tools to do production work. They focus on the applications at
the endpoint whereas I focus on the endpoint. This means that they don’t have time/energy to figure
out the sessions and if things aren’t easy for them… well… work slows and they get frustrated… at me.

Security – Due to the above, I needed to be able to figure out where/what the users were doing as well
as what they were exposed to and able to access.
Charles Eichelberger | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am using it in conjunction with VPN to manage customer servers. It is used by at least three other consultants. It addresses the need to organize multiple customers and their servers and keep organized about it along with keeping credentials in one place.
  • Store information on multiple customers
  • Keep RDP sessions organized
  • Allow multiple sessions in tabs
  • Better password management for multiple SSH hosts.
  • MySQL support
I think it is great for managing multiple desktops internally as well as externally. It is especially great for external management as you can specify to log onto a VPN before connecting to the target. If you are a small shop with just a few computers, this may not be for you.
Read Charles Eichelberger's full review
Aleese Gulick | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 31, 2018

RDM the LIFESAVER!!

Our whole department uses Remote Desktop Manager (RDM). The issues that it solves is being able to access our department servers across the campus. Since our information is sensitive having the ability to log in via RDM has shown to be very helpful at letting us present information to our customers as well as keep our information about how we run business secure.
  • Provides a secure network connection to your base computer, as well as allows for mobility.
  • Company provides great customer support and troubleshooting if needed.
  • Allows your in-house IT department to troubleshoot computers remotely, which is especially helpful in large meetings when you are having technical difficulties.
  • I have also noticed a smooth file transfer process.
  • Sometimes the connection has trouble or freezes on you and you have to start over.
  • A little more onscreen "help" would be nice for the employees that need a little extra guidance.
  • It would also be cool if the computer you are trying to access did not have to be on when you are accessing it.

RDM has saved me in meetings where I did not have the information that was needed on me due to unexpected questions. But I was able to quickly log in to my office computer and pull up the information that the customer was requesting.

Instances, where I do not think it is highly needed, is a small office environment where you do not travel, have off-site meetings, or do a lot of work from home.

Read Aleese Gulick's full review
Mauricio Diaz | TrustRadius Reviewer
My employer collaborates with over 100 companies across the province, we manage almost all our clients with RDM.
  • Remote connection to servers
  • Software license key management
  • Implementing a "favorites" tab or group
  • Allowing you to send a message to the person already connected to a device
  • Auto-disconnect from a session
Remote Desktop Manager is well suited when managing multiple clients and complex infrastructures. It is an excellent solution to keep all of this information stored and protected in one place and not having to move between different solutions to perform your work. It gives us efficiency, which clients appreciate at the end.
Read Mauricio Diaz's full review
Edwin Eekelaers | TrustRadius Reviewer
In my current role, we are not using Remote Desktop Manager but I sure wish we would. I have used RDM for awhile in the non-profit where I volunteer for IT duty. There are so many different functions and features in it that I can't understand why we aren't considering it at my current place of employment. Coming from things like VNC and others we use and have used I can only say that you should really try out RDM for yourself. No matter how many words are written that may or may not convince you to try it you should ignore those and try it out yourself. That's the only way you can truly discover the benefits from RDM. Be sure even after using it for a while you will still be discovering new and intriguing features.
  • I like the management console because you get to use the different features from one and the same place
  • Security and user management as these days good security is vital.
  • The log feature is nice as it allows you an easy overview of what was done with Remote Desktop Manager
  • Powershell cmndlet scripting as i'm a powershell geek.
  • Can't immediately think of a feature that hasn't been discussed in the Devolutions community. Suggest you head over there to check it out.
Well RDM is the sleekest looking best performing remote tool I have worked with or messed with. Nearly no lag from the remote connection. Once you dig through its security settings I'm sure you can find a configuration that will suit your needs.
Read Edwin Eekelaers's full review
Benjamin Beckwith | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use it personally to help support 25 in-house Servers and 12 cloud servers. It allows me to access all the servers (and some desktop machines) in one simple application. As I use multiple different computers, the online cloud database that Devolution offers is fantastic as I can load that one a new machine, and I have all my same access and layout right there. The options and features that the application offers is next to fantastic haven't found anything I am unable to access
  • It allows me to access all the servers (and some desktop machines) in one simple application.
  • As I use multiple different computers, the online cloud database that Devolution offers is fantastic as I can load that one a new machine, and I have all my same access and layout right there.
  • The options and features that the application offers is next to fantastic haven't found anything I am unable to access
  • Nothing that I have come across as of yet.
For an MSP that remotely connects in, it will have its issues. You can only connect to the public servers unless your machine has a VPN connection to all clients.
Read Benjamin Beckwith's full review
Thomas Higgins | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am using the full version as a personally paid version due to the significant value it provided me. I have influenced others to use the free version and make the decision for themselves, however the company has not purchased it for anyone.
  • Connects to MANY different connection types such as FTP, SSH, and RDP (to name the ones I personally used). Also interfaces with many other solutions/application to extend that connectivity to a variety of other applications such as SQL Server Management Studio, WinSCP, etc. Even tools that duplicate RDM, such as Putty, so you don't have to rebuild from scratch.
  • Maintains credentials from a variety of secured sources, both local and remote. Can link to multiple back-end credential managers as well, including KeePass, Secret Server, etc. Also offers their own RDM Server that backends RDM with Enterprise Level Credential Management, if another option is not already being used (or even if it is, actually - it supports multiple connections).
  • Can chain connections to make a single process for connecting to a specific resource. The most common example is VPN connection required before connecting to a remote server.
  • Supports many 2FA/MFA solutions including Google and Duo (the two I use currently) Others are supported but need to be looked up (don't have the list readily available).
  • 2FA solutions - Need more of the enterprise options. In particular, RSA's solution is NOT supported but used by so many as to be something that should really be added if at all possible.
  • Connection Setups - The online manual is very large due to the number of options available making it difficult to figure out what is needed to complete a connection setup. Perhaps a wizard or something to simplify setup for the most common setups would be helpful.
It is most well suited to the IT operations person managing many connections - particularly in a heterogeneous environment. In more streamlined environments, RDM may well be overkill, though the cost is low enough that it shouldn't be burdensome regardless. For smaller or less unique environments, a free version of RDM is available as well. It supports almost everything the full version does but isn't as easy to use in specific situations. For example, when having hundreds of servers, batch password change is a godsend - however, that is only a full version feature. Nothing stops you from changing them individually or scripting it via Powershell, for example, but the cost vs. time savings with this feature alone makes it worth it. (Some other enterprise specific activities are also not available).
Read Thomas Higgins's full review
Marc-Olivier Turgeon-Ferland | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 11, 2017

Best RDP Manager!!

It allows our team to share RDP config and password and prevent us from duplicating that information all on our side. It also allows us to be a lot more effective with password changes because of inherited password on folders.
  • Organize your RDP sessions
  • Enter your password once and apply it via inheritance on multiple RDP sessions (either shared or personal passwords)
  • Share RDP sessions with colleagues (stop duplicating configuration)
  • UI is hard to customize
  • So many features that are spread everywhere - makes it difficult to leverage most of them
  • A lot of UI elements seem out of place and are not really user-friendly
It is well suited if you need to share multiple RDP sessions or if you need to use the same credentials on multiple RDP sessions.

It is lesss suited if you have few server admins, few RDP sessions or multiple RDP sessions using all the same set of credentials.
Read Marc-Olivier Turgeon-Ferland's full review
Frank McCourry | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 22, 2017

RDM - My Toolbox!

We use RDM for the management of our own and certain customer systems. We began using it as a central tool repository, which allowed us to consolidate connections, sessions and information about these systems in a single location. It has since evolved into a management system where we log activity, document and perform maintenance on all of our own and customer systems. It has been a real time saver, allowing us to focus on more critical tasks and preventing redundant work.
  • Documentation and logging of systems activity.
  • Allow multiple sessions/connections an many different platforms. SSH, FTP, TeamViewer, RDP, VNC just to mention a few. You can even combine sessions with VPN's for secure activity.
  • Controlling user access to systems.
  • I would like to see a consolidated dashboard/report/logs on all system activity.
  • Real Time data collection on systems for CPU Memory and Hard Drive usage.
  • Mobile Password Management.
Well suited for managing more than a couple of servers/workstations where multiple admins are needed. It is great for creating shared resources and allowing team members limited or full access. Highly recommended for logging and documentation of your networks. Ability to use power-shell scripting is a huge plus!

Falls short on real-time reporting of resources. Albeit this can be manually updated, automation is the key.
Read Frank McCourry's full review
Ben Liebowitz | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Remote Desktop Manager on a daily basis. I use it to RDP to the servers I support; I use it to open SSH sessions to VMware hosts. I use it to launch the VMware VI Client; I use it to launch multiple websites I use regularly. I do all of these things with embedded passwords so I only have to enter my password into the credential repository once and from then on it can be used for multiple entries. Using this tool saves me from having to install multiple other tools on my PC to manage and support my environment. I'm able to quickly search for entries, use the password generator to great passwords for service accounts (choosing length, characters to include, etc), and I find the Keep Tab On Disconnect feature to be a very helpful one. As someone who works in IT and has to reboot servers on a regular basis to fix issues, upgrade, etc. This feature is great and keeps me from having to keep trying to reconnect, etc.
I don't know what I'd do without this tool! It's invaluable!
  • Manages all your entries in an organized fashion.
  • Keeps all your credentials in one place for easy management.
  • Has multiple add-ons and integrated tools to accomplish many different tasks.
  • There are so many different features it can be overwhelming. There are many I don't use.
  • It's not a complaint that I have but I've had coworkers complain, "oh, look RDM is prompting for another upgrade." To me, having to install an update once a month or so isn't a bad thing. They're fixing bugs, and introducing new features.
  • Sometimes, finding where to change a specific setting can be rough, with the properties for an entry having multiple sections, sometimes you have to make the change globally from the main settings section, etc.
Having worked in IT for many years, I've found this tool to be invaluable. I've tried some of the other tools to manage RDP sessions, but RDM manages way more than just RDP sessions! As for where it doesn't fit, if you have a small company, or you have an environment that is constantly changing (like you are a consultant constantly moving from client to client, never going back) then this may not be the tool for you.
Read Ben Liebowitz's full review
Cary Wagner | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 16, 2017

RDM - Nothing Compares

I have been using Remote Desktop Manager (RDM) by Devolutions for many years now. It is literally one of the first tools I load on to new laptops. Once you start using it, you will wonder how you ever got by without it. The functionality and capability of the product are way beyond its name. RDM is the Swiss Army Knife of utilities when it comes to connecting to almost anything.
  • Allows me to have almost any type of connection capable in one place
  • Control over the remote experience is amazing
  • There are so many features it is hard to even begin to put my favorites list together
  • Yes, it is that good!
  • I have zero complaints.
If you have to manage more than a few hosts, RDM is invaluable and worth every cent.
Read Cary Wagner's full review
Darrell Pargmann | TrustRadius Reviewer
Remote Desktop Manager is extremely useful in my day to day work and it is so much more than a tool for RDP. IT on different customer sites with different credentials and remote access types, like RDP, Citrix, SSH-Clients, Websites, etc. Remote Desktop Manager helps me to have quick access to the customer environment.
  • Organizes your Remote Desktop connections
  • Quick search lookup
  • Ability to use tabs to move to different sessions.
  • The ability to have custom themes.
  • Have a realtime connections status. Dropped packets or delays.
  • The ability to to customize the interface so it appears as a local tool.
Environments where there are a large number of systems and the need for security of login accounts are high.
Read Darrell Pargmann's full review
Carlos Daniel Casañas Bertolo ஃ | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 29, 2018

The best for IT crews!!!

To administrate all the technology assets of our internal and external clients. It simplifies the access and management of an heterogeneous equipment, with great credentials administration and security options for any level of technical users. The mobile app is a really helping tool to solve minimal problems on the go, without the need to sit in your workstation.
  • Focus on teamwork, centralized storage for access and configs
  • Security at all levels, you can grant a user with the access to an asset without sharing the password
  • Conector specific for vcenter
IT, DevOps, Infra
Read Carlos Daniel Casañas Bertolo ஃ's full review
Andrey Perepelitsyn | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 11, 2017

My RDM experience

It is not used by my organization, It is used by me personally. It speeds up my daily work, helping me to manage a lot of remote desktop connections with different sets of credentials.
  • RDM natively integrates with KeePass which I am using for storing my passwords. So then I have to only manage credential records there.
  • RDM helps to work with different RDP connection with different sets of credentials
  • RDM could be less complex in navigation
I`m working in an IT outsource company and have to set up connections with different customers, Remote Desktop Manager helps me to make it faster and separate customers from each other to avoid mistakes
Read Andrey Perepelitsyn's full review

Screen sharing (19)
File transfer (22)
9.2
Secure remote access with Smart Card authentication (12)
Access to sleeping/powered-off computers (5)
Over-the-Internet remote session (31)
Initiate remote control from mobile (19)
Remote management of servers & workstations (33)
9.8
Remote Active Directory® management (14)
9.7
Centralized management dashboard (28)
9.2
Session record (13)
Annotations (20)
Monitoring and Alerts (11)
Multi-platform remote control (27)
9.7

About RDM

Remote Desktop Manager (RDM) centralizes all remote connections on a single platform that is securely shared between users and across the entire team. With support for hundreds of integrated technologies — including multiple protocols and VPNs — along with built-in enterprise-grade password management tools, global and granular-level access controls, and mobile apps to complement desktop clients for Windows and Mac, RDM is presented as a Swiss Army knife for remote access. RDM is built to enable IT departments to drive security, speed and productivity throughout the organization, while reducing inefficiency, cost and risk.