Great merchandising and analytics tool for retail companies
March 28, 2018

Great merchandising and analytics tool for retail companies

Overall Satisfaction with Tableau Online

Tableau is currently used by our analytics and marketing team. I currently use it for merchandising purchases, it is a great tool to see what items are selling and what the inventory status is all in one. I have filters in the tool that are flexible to what I need and I'm able to merchandise our products online more efficiently.
  • What I love about Tableau is that I can filter items by SKU performance. We have tons of items that feature different colors and designs and I am able to see which option is selling the best and provide that information to our buying team.
  • Being able to see the currently available units, excess and inventory projections has saved me the time when it comes to picking which item I should feature when I am merchandising.
  • There are many filtering options within the tool so it is easy to personalize data and export results that you need.
  • I'm not sure if this is standard for everyone but our Tableau is updated twice a week so the information may not be the most up-to-date possible.
  • There's no search function in the tool which would help me a lot if I am seeking information about a specific item.
  • There are frequent software updates which require you to completely reinstall everything.
Tableau updates twice a week for us so it is not in real-time. The tool is merged with our inventory and planning system which give us the access to see every item and category performance. Having it in real-time would be beneficial, especially during the holiday season, to get quicker results on how things are selling.
There is a lot of data that can be exported to Excel, however, this can be slow at times and can take a few minutes to download. Our marketing, merchandising and analytics teams have used Tableau reporting for presentations and for personal use before. The data on the Excel sheets are easy to read and format.
Tableau is really useful for merchandising the website and homepage. If I have no clue what to feature, I can easily open the software and search which categories or items are performing the highest and also make sure I have enough inventory to support it. I guess it would be less helpful if I were searching a specific item because I would have to do a lot of filtering since there is no search capability.

Tableau Online Feature Ratings

Pixel Perfect reports
Customizable dashboards
Report Formatting Templates
Drill-down analysis
Formatting capabilities
Integration with R or other statistical packages
Report sharing and collaboration
Report Versioning
Predictive Analytics
Multi-User Support (named login)
Role-Based Security Model
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete)
Single Sign-On (SSO)
Customizable Platform (Open Source)