Monetate is a website optimization and personalization product. The company offers a strong product tailored to the needs of e-commerce and retailers. Customers are mostly enterprise brands.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/EN/2t/7AALPRLAT012.JPEGWould Highly Recommend!We use Monetate to test out optimization efforts across our 2 websites. We also use Monetate for banners to support our promotions. Finally, we use it to hotfix minor issues across the site, by modifying html or css. This is a very easy to use tool that gives a quick, easy solution without the need for the dev team to jump in.,Adding promotional banners under the top nav across the site Testing and measuring a/b efforts like PDP revisions or similar updates hiding elements that may be hindering the customer experience as a hotfix,documentation could be updated more regularly Training information and videos are very basic The overall organization can be improved,8,We are able to optimize our site. Through our testing efforts, we were able to lift both conversion rate and average order value simply by moving the layout of our pages around.,10,9,,10,Good tool for creating promotions, adding badges to the products and create a lis of relevant itemsI worked with Monetate as part of the Marketing team. The tool was used by our department only. It allowed to set up customized, location-based banners for the home page informing visitors about changes in the local stores addresses and other changes; to create special promotions and perform A/B testings of their wording; to create and insert sale budges; to add lists of recommended products.,It has great customer segmentation capability It allows to use html, css, and javascript to create promotions It has good analytical tools It is intuitive even for a novice,Sometimes it is hard to find what you are looking for (for example, how to export data) The way of specifying pages on which promotion should be displayed could be improved It is hard to organize promotions,9,Increases insight into promotions effect Increased customer satisfaction via improving their knowledge about stores changed hours and locations More precisely targeted marketing,9,9,5,9,5,Specifying a target audience Specifying products to add badges to Scheduling promotions,Specifying pages where the promotion or badges should appear,9Great tool - easy to use and powerful outcomesWe use Monetate across our 6 websites to personalise and test content/functionality/aesthetics/UX. It has helped us understand what customers respond best to and how to offer the best user experience per the different individuals/segments we can target. It has also helped us when a quick fix is needed and our IT solutions aren't able to turn around with immediate effect.,Supportive account team to help us use Monetate to the best of its capabilities Intuitive to use and learn Has a vast array of functionality options to maximise possibilities to test/personalise,Monetate-built actions are often locked down so the client user cannot amend to be bespoke for their needs. Therefore any changes wanted require a new Monetate dev ticket. This can be time consuming,9,We have seen positive growth in our two biggest KPIs - Conversion and AOV,9,9,7,9,10Easy to use, Effective and Great Customer ServiceHaving used Monetate in a previous role, followed by an alternative A/B and personalisation platform, I was so glad to move back to Monetate at my current company. The interface is intuitive. The customer support is fast and friendly, and usually my problem is resolved with the first couple of emails. Far superior to any other platform I've used in my time as a CRO and UX professional and actually very competitive on price. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Monetate as my first choice of personalisation and testing platform in a move to a new company that didn't currently utilise testing tools due to how easy it is to become acquainted with the tool. I also remember, at my previous workplace, Monetate were happy to come in and run training sessions which were very valuable. Their conferences and events have also been informative and enlightening, in my experience.,Customer service - Their customer service is far better than any of their competitors that I've used in the past. I've had detailed coding help and suggestions to improve experiences within hours of lodging a support ticket. Intuitive interface - The action builder is so easy to use, even if you don't have a good grasp on HTML/CSS and makes it possible to get launch experiences quickly which is important in a retail environment where things are so changeable. Analytics - The speed at which detailed information comes in about whether an experience is performing is great and the level of detail makes it possible to provide business cases to key project stakeholders efficiently.,Lack of ability to move experiences to another folder if you're on the main experience page - This has bugged me for ages because we do a lot of experience duplication for different campaigns every month and it would be easier if you could duplicate and move folders on the same page. Mass content upload. I may just be missing this feature somewhere but I've never been able to upload more than one piece of content at once and it's quite frustrating. More Manchester based events. This one is obviously specific to my location and I understand why London is the hub for events but it would be nice to have more frequent opportunities to liaise with other Monetate users locally.,10,Conversion rate increase AOV increase, specifically in the case of experiments with exit intent pop-ups and recommended product additions Wider acceptance of CRO within the business as important to overall goals,10,10,10,10Great Decision for Marketing Team!We use Monetate primarily in the UX/CX and site merchandising departments, but we've also created experiences for other channels like email marketing, paid search, and display ads. Additionally, we have "fixes" for bugs that aren't able to be immediately addressed by web dev. And finally, we have experiences to address prioritization of new features that are still in the development backlog.,Our Monetate team is amazing! They taught us well, are quick to answer questions, and are very organized to keep us on track. Simple-to-use interface makes it easy for business users to set up experiences with little to no web dev assistance. We've gotten some great ideas out of the Insight reports our team has provided. Some of them we tested already, and others inspired even more ideas!,We'd like to be able to use the Monetate resources to help us set up tests that require web dev (to get it out of our backlog), but they also have wait times similar to our internal ones. I realize resources are hard to come by, but this is an area we'd love to be able to utilize more if the turnaround were quicker. IE is always a problem. I know it's not Monetate-specific though, and many tools struggle with IE. We have a large percentage of our users who use IE, and I'd like to provide more experiences in IE without and additional hassle.,10,We've had great results with our tests! We've seen a solid ROI on most, and we've been able to identify areas we shouldn't be investing resources into. Our teams have really pulled together to come up with ideas and test them. Putting a monetary amount on new features has helped the company understand the value of web dev, CX/UX, and marketing campaigns.,10,8,10,9,8
Monetate

Monetate Reviews

Monetate
TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019
Filter 107 vetted Monetate reviews and ratings

Ellen Evans profile photo
February 26, 2019

Monetate Review: "Would Highly Recommend!"

• Adding promotional banners under the top nav across the site
  • Testing and measuring a/b efforts like PDP revisions or similar updates
  • hiding elements that may be hindering the customer experience as a hotfix
  • documentation could be updated more regularly
  • Training information and videos are very basic
  • The overall organization can be improved
Monetate is best used for its intended purpose, A/B testing and personalization. You should be familiar with HTML and CSS to use this product. I like that you can set up custom KPIs for testing efforts when conversion rate might not be your best indicator of performance. Overall a good testing tool.
Read Ellen Evans's full review
Irina Danilova profile photo
January 15, 2019

Monetate Review: "Good tool for creating promotions, adding badges to the products and create a lis of relevant items"

• It has great customer segmentation capability
  • It allows to use html, css, and javascript to create promotions
  • It has good analytical tools
  • It is intuitive even for a novice
  • Sometimes it is hard to find what you are looking for (for example, how to export data)
  • The way of specifying pages on which promotion should be displayed could be improved
  • It is hard to organize promotions
Monetate is a great tool when you need to run a promotion and analyze it's performance. It is also very good (although a bit time consuming) in building lists of related products or displaying information that is location-specific.
Read Irina Danilova's full review
Sheryl Newell profile photo
December 20, 2018

Monetate Review: "Great tool - easy to use and powerful outcomes"

• Supportive account team to help us use Monetate to the best of its capabilities
  • Intuitive to use and learn
  • Has a vast array of functionality options to maximise possibilities to test/personalise
  • Monetate-built actions are often locked down so the client user cannot amend to be bespoke for their needs. Therefore any changes wanted require a new Monetate dev ticket. This can be time consuming
Agile and powerful tool. We have a great working relationship with account team. They listen to requirements and work as best they can to meet them. Monetate can be restrictive but recognise most of the same level other personalisation / testing tools are at this stage in the market. New functionality is released regularly to keep up with market trends
Read Sheryl Newell's full review
Laura Neil profile photo
December 20, 2018

Monetate Review: "Easy to use, Effective and Great Customer Service"

• Customer service - Their customer service is far better than any of their competitors that I've used in the past. I've had detailed coding help and suggestions to improve experiences within hours of lodging a support ticket.
  • Intuitive interface - The action builder is so easy to use, even if you don't have a good grasp on HTML/CSS and makes it possible to get launch experiences quickly which is important in a retail environment where things are so changeable.
  • Analytics - The speed at which detailed information comes in about whether an experience is performing is great and the level of detail makes it possible to provide business cases to key project stakeholders efficiently.
  • Lack of ability to move experiences to another folder if you're on the main experience page - This has bugged me for ages because we do a lot of experience duplication for different campaigns every month and it would be easier if you could duplicate and move folders on the same page.
  • Mass content upload. I may just be missing this feature somewhere but I've never been able to upload more than one piece of content at once and it's quite frustrating.
  • More Manchester based events. This one is obviously specific to my location and I understand why London is the hub for events but it would be nice to have more frequent opportunities to liaise with other Monetate users locally.
I would recommend Monetate to a business that wants to get set up with testing and personalisation quickly, with the knowledge that they can get the support they need to learn the tool but don't need to be web developers to use it.

I would also say that in the case of wanting to set up very specific experiments, Monetate is very useful as the targeting can be quite complex and there is the ability to integrate with other applications as well as set up custom targets.
Read Laura Neil's full review
December 20, 2018

Monetate Review: "Great Decision for Marketing Team!"

• Our Monetate team is amazing! They taught us well, are quick to answer questions, and are very organized to keep us on track.
  • Simple-to-use interface makes it easy for business users to set up experiences with little to no web dev assistance.
  • We've gotten some great ideas out of the Insight reports our team has provided. Some of them we tested already, and others inspired even more ideas!
  • We'd like to be able to use the Monetate resources to help us set up tests that require web dev (to get it out of our backlog), but they also have wait times similar to our internal ones. I realize resources are hard to come by, but this is an area we'd love to be able to utilize more if the turnaround were quicker.
  • IE is always a problem. I know it's not Monetate-specific though, and many tools struggle with IE.
  • We have a large percentage of our users who use IE, and I'd like to provide more experiences in IE without and additional hassle.
I've used different testing systems, and Monetate is simple-to-use. I've been able to train interns who'd previously had little experience, too.
More complicated tests require web dev. I'd like to be able to "safely" shift and style elements in a WYSIWYG interface, but the interface provides most of what I want.
January 14, 2019

"Monetate Review"

Monetate is used by a marketing department, specifically by a web marketing team. We use Monetate to test our design strategies via its testing platform and by checking its live analytics and results from it. Depending on the result, we will then make a decision to permanently implement the design onto the site itself or to drop the idea if it fails.
  • Dynamic test to let users test several different ideas at the same time while dynamically distributing traffic to the highest ROI.
  • Live analytics to show us where the test is at and to easily compare the experiment with original (control).
  • Faster development job is done when requested.
  • I know the company has been undergoing a change but staff has changed so often that our personalized staff has changed numerous times.
Monetate is an excellent testing platform to test your ideas onto the site and see how it's working before you actually make a permanent change, and to experiment with various ideas at the same time to see which one works the best.
December 21, 2018

Monetate Review: "Better than the Other Guys!"

Monetate is used primarily within our eCommerce division, providing personalization for direct navigation, email, direct mail-to-digital, and display advertisement visitors. In most cases, we are using Monetate to execute A/B tests, but we have also used it to create quick patches for styling issues on the site to circumvent time restrictions caused when going through traditional code updates.
  • The reps are extremely timely in their responses and knowledgeable about the system.
  • Monetate has a WYSIWYG system for making changes on web pages that is extremely easy to use.
  • Reporting is clear and easy to share with others.
  • Some DIV tags cannot be selected in ActionBuilder and there is no explanation in the interface as to why that is.
  • The dataset upload tool errors out sometimes, but when you click "View Error", nothing happens.
  • When using JavaScript in ActionBuilder, sometimes it continuously fires even after closing ActionBuilder and reopening it. For example, redirect Javascript entered in ActionBuilder fires as soon as ActionBuilder is opened to edit the action.
Monetate is good for quick changes on the site and simple tests. Complex tests requiring extensive web development can be difficult to execute by business users.
December 20, 2018

User Review: "Monetate - Digital Magic Tape!"

We use Monetate across the business to create tests to improve conversation rates on our retail site, deliver marketing promotions and personalise peoples website experiences. We also use it as a temporary fix for issues that go into the business in full development phase. It allows us to test development work quickly and turn it off if it doesn't work.
  • Relatively easy user interface to use. We have separated our Monetetate hub by site - very easy to use.
  • Building tests or experiences has a good builder addressing what you are building, where it is targeting, when the experience should run and why
  • The majority fit setting provides a good low risk way of determining if a fix is a 'winner' or not
  • A very helpful and extensive Knowledge Hub
  • Searching through all the experiences or tests you put online is reliant on a very robust naming convention
  • We would like an easier place for notes for each experience or test to be stored so that these are searchable. This allows things like project briefs to be summarised for the purpose of the wider team
  • It would be great if Monetate had an improved preview function to allow you to view an experience on the device and screen resolution of your choice. Currently, to fully test your experiences, you'll need a few browser apps which allows you to mimic devices, clear cookies...
  • A smarter way of building out variations for tests would be useful. Occasionally, a test that has a lot of different variables (but ultimately quite similar) will require you to setup multiple experiences to achieve this
A simple A/B test is Monetate's bread and butter. Providing you have a developer with the technical ability to acheive what you want, you can easily manipulate page layouts, insert content , remove content to achieve a test.

Whilst the majority fit works well as a low risk way of showing that a test will work, it does not give you learning or insight as to why something does or does not work.
Steffany Winkelmann profile photo
September 12, 2018

Monetate Review: "Very powerful testing tool"

We use Monetate to test how well our product display pages convert against 2 different layouts, test conversion rate of our existing menu layout versus a radically different style, test how different promotional banner styles convert against each other, display different product images on our homepage based on a visitor's region/weather/major event, and so many other aspects of our site which has helped us really start understanding our audience better - what works and what doesn't - and apply that across our site and in other areas of our business such as email.
  • You can test virtually ANYTHING on your website. Once you know what you're doing, it is really easy to upload assets and really customize the details of your test.
  • If you have multiple websites, you can keep all of your website tests separate - for example, we manage two separate brands, both which have 3 environments we can set up tests in: development, staging, and production environments. So, we can easily manage 6 separate test groups and store the various content in the proper section, very easily.
  • The design is really clean and easy to navigate. It is easy to organize and filter your experiments, you can tag them to make filtering a lot easier (especially when you have a bunch of experiments running at the same time), and the simple function of duplicating an experiment makes minor changes to a grand experiment SO much quicker.
  • The Monetate Inspector tool (I could be using the wrong word, sorry!) also allows you to far more easily identify the unique ID of an experiment so you can find it in Monetate and make any desired changes rather than sifting one by one through your various experiments trying to figure out which one you mean to edit.
  • The learning curve is a little steep, especially if you're unfamiliar with HTML/CSS. The tool is so powerful but can be overwhelming at first. The intro instructional videos/content is helpful but it doesn't cover everything. We needed to partner with an optimization company to better understand the tool and get started.
  • Setting up an experiment for the first time isn't simple when you're a marketer who is inexperienced with any sort of web development or even just HTML/CSS. While you can easily select the area you want to create a test with, you don't have a way to easily manipulate that section without the use of HTML/CSS.
  • The first optimization company Monetate recommended us to was horrible - it really was awful working with them. We had dedicated (paid for!) hours that got wasted after the company wasted our time in each meeting (when we did have one - they often needed to reschedule) and they barely knew what our company even did despite multiple meetings. Those hours, despite the awful experience, were never fulfilled, never reimbursed, never carried over to the new (and far better) company. This left a bad taste in my mouth. While I really like this product and it does everything we need, this awful experience and lack of ownership on their end was highly disappointing. We are moving forward though - and happy with our results.
If your business is online and you have pages your visitors will interact with, Monetate can be a huge asset. You can test virtually anything! But if you don't have much capital to use, Monetate will be an expensive investment that you won't see ROI on for at least a few months. If your site is simple and more informational (i.e., no offer pages, informational-only site, etc.), Monetate will still work for you but it'll be really hard to determine ROI and make your money back.
Read Steffany Winkelmann's full review
January 18, 2018

Monetate Review: "Great testing platform"

Monetate is mostly used by our marketing & merchandising team. Monetate is used for A/B testing in a variety of different ways. We use Monetate to test customize homepages, new site features and more to better understand how our customers use our website.It helps our team change the website without using other departments for help.
  • Monetate does well with showing us the impact of a test in a clear, detailed way. There are many different tests that can be done in Monetate and the results can be broken down by conversion, bounce rate, add to cart rate etc. This has helped us create the best possible experience for our customers.
  • Monetate has tons of variety of different ways you can optimize a website. From badging, product cross-sells, navigation changes and product changes, it's now easy to completely change a portion of the website without having to go to IT for help.
  • Monetate saves and archives all tests, even after they are completed. It's nice to have the option to look at what we did the past month or year and have the results saved as well.
  • Monetate can be difficult to learn at first. I think having a clear way to access how-to guides or videos would help employees learn the tool faster.
  • A small criticism but Monetate doesn't allow you to delete any experiences. It can make the platform a bit messy because there are times where we practice creating experiences and now they can't be deleted.
Monetate is great if you're looking to create content that's targeted to specific people or places. We have done this before on occasion and have targeted different images based on customer history with us. We have also used this many times in testing between new and returning customers. Monetate is also great for creating quick website experience changes and seeing how they affect users.
September 22, 2017

User Review: "Personalization with Monetate"

We use Monetate to personalize and test experiences for different customers. It is being used by our E-commerce department Monetate addresses the different behaviors we can expect from our customer database.
  • A/B tests
  • Personalization
  • Great customer support
  • Better UX. Dashboard can be overwhelming.
  • Offer training sessions to utilize the platform.
  • Offer a mobile app.
Monetate is great to utilize to discover/address different customer behaviors on site. However, it can be difficult to utilize if you don't have the resources and are not well versed in coding.
Nick Ashton profile photo
August 21, 2017

Monetate Review: "Game changer for Marketers."

The marketing team uses monetate to display promotional banners to the appropriate customer channels, i.e. email customers get the message they received in the email on-site. My team uses monetate to A/B test different landing page setups and experiences.
  • Display marketing messages
  • Provide data
  • A/B testing
  • Custom customer segments
  • Training videos
  • Suppport chat
For marketing teams to target customers by channel - email specific sales, acquisition messaging for customers coming from various sources. Testing different email capture messages.
Read Nick Ashton's full review
Reid Mirre, CPM profile photo
August 04, 2017

Monetate Review: "Early Impressed Impressions"

Monetate is currently being used exclusively by an eCommerce focused team in an attempt to grow revenue with more relevant and personalized messaging to customers. To provide a unique customer journey to each customer is the goal. In the future, there is a strong chance that more departments or the broader organization will leverage it as a tool to reach their customers.
  • Intuitive UI. I am fairly technical but discussing the product with others on my team, they all agree that it is very easy to use.
  • Monetate has taken a complex idea like personalization and has turned it into a simple problem to solve by thinking who, what, when, etc. to each situation. This was a much more elegant way to approach the problem than other vendors.
  • They have great support and seem to really care about your success, as well as have motivation to push you, the client, to get going and find success with the tool.
  • In the pre-sales process, they really want to sell you billable hours. These hours do not transfer to the next calendar year and are not refundable. It is a poor system.
  • Their technical documentation is confusing in spots and could be improved. We followed documentation, with an eyebrow raised in some cases, and then were told to go down a different path which was not listed in the documentation (but made more sense.)
  • I can't speak to the success or not of the program, but we are currently working with a third party of Monetate (who Monetate put us in touch with, as part of our billable hours.) Its not a con per se, but feels weird.
We have not implemented a live personalization yet, so this rating is based solely on pre-sales, integration, and a handful of calls. So far, it seems promising, but I cannot share our success when we have not had the opportunity to prove it. Monetate has a strong pre-sales process and will work with you every step of the way to installation. The dashboard is intuitive and it seems promising, but I can't say if it works yet.
Read Reid Mirre, CPM's full review
Erik Ickes profile photo
July 28, 2017

Monetate Review: "We're new users but mostly happy with it so far."

We use Monetate to customize our site based on known personas within the education sector (teachers, administrators, district buyers) and to market our geographically specific workshops to visitors within range of an event.
  • Easy to use interface.
  • Seamless for the end user.
  • SEO is not affected.
  • Personalized site means greater retention and interest.
  • Doesn't always work with active or JS controlled elements on the site.
  • We use a lot of support hours to implement experiences.
It's great for straightforward swapping and moving of elements and has a nice set of pre-built experiences that make it ready right out of the box. There is also very little setup involved.

We haven't found it that effective for converting for revenue in our market but we are not in a traditional e-commerce business. A normal retail site would see bigger benefits that we do.
Read Erik Ickes's full review
August 17, 2017

User Review: "Monetate - 4 Stars!"

Monetate is being used by one department, the internet marketing department. We currently utilize the Open-time Email, Product Recs, and Onsite Content. With Monetate we are able to achieve a more personalized experience for visitors based on browsing behavior, purchase behavior, geo-targeting, weather forecast, etc. We are also able to target new vs. returning visitors, device type, and so many other options we haven't even explored yet. None of which we were able to do on our current platform.
  • Monetate's knowledge base has been so helpful! Before I send an email to our rep, I always search the knowledge base first and most answers you'll find there!
  • During implementation, there are detailed check-lists on next steps. Being the project leader I found this extremely helpful. Mostly because it was easy to delegate items to the team and everyone was held responsible for their part of the implementation timeline.
  • Monetate provides training modules to get you familiar with setting up Experiences prior to a formal training. We all found this helpful because we had came to formal training with questions about specific use cases.
  • Once you get in the UI it's extremely easy to navigate - this was something we were really excited about. We wanted the UI to be business user friendly and it completely met our expectations.
  • There seems to be very limited targeting options in Open-time Email. Onsite content has much more robust options in targeting.
  • Our rep and platform consultant aren't as responsive to questions and insights as we hoped they would be. We expect answers from them within the same day and sometimes it's days before I have to follow-up on where this is at.
  • There are limitations on measuring the true success of personalized emails. The only email analytics you see in the UI are on the clicks on the Monetate creative. We would like to know whether someone saw the personalized content and then clicked in the header or footer in the email template. Unfortunately there's no way to achieve that in Monetate. You would have to utilize your ESP to A/B test and determine the true success of a personalized email.
Monetate is well suited for personalizing onsite content. We are currently replacing content with brand affinities, category affinities, new vs. returning customers and it's doing very well. We have found it super difficult setting up personalized email campaigns. We believe that email is a new thing Monetate is new to. There are not as many targeting options as there are in Onsite Content, it's hard to measure the success of the personalized content, we still have out-standing questions on email click zones, etc.
August 09, 2017

User Review: "Monetate is the best in the industry"

We use Monetate for A/B testing, personalization, product recommendations, and for patching on our website. Monetate helps us to get to lift analysis for testing quicker, through standard A/B testing and optimization based on goal metrics. With short selling seasons, Monetate helps up to see results quicker which gets us to making decisions faster and implementing new technologies faster.
  • Fast: It's great that Monetate is a layer on top of our website. We are able to add things without code change and see the campaigns in action in real time.
  • Strong analytics: I like how Monetate guides you through the analytics and has goal levels to let users know if the engine feels confident in the results, or needs more time for testing.
  • Technicality: While not exactly something Monetate can fix, most of our tests require development from our team or the Monetate team. As a business user, it would be nice to be able to create my own campaigns outside of a development queue.
August 04, 2017

Monetate Review: "Very Solid Testing Platform"

We have several users in the Ecommerce department who use Monetate daily to address muliple areas of need. On the marketing side, the email modules gives us the flexibility to message customers differently based on their location and past interactions with our site. We update promotional messaging both on site and in emails (even after they have been received by customers) or include countdown timers to increase urgency. We test extensively using both A/B and majority fit testing. Where Montate has perhaps proved most valuable is a means of updating HTML on the fly without having to involve developers.
  • Testing
  • Personalization
  • Custom coding
  • Product recommendations
If you're looking for a product for conducting multiple tests on your site, even multi-variable, Monetate is perfect. Majority fit enables you to test without worrying about missing out on sales because you're showing too many of the losing test. It's also ideal for making quick last-second code changes. Just pick an element that you want to change, and you usually can with even just a basic knowledge of coding. If I had to identify a less ideal application, it's as a personalized product recommendation tool. At least in the version we have, Monetate is not great at identifying additional products that a particular visitor is likely to want to purchase.
July 28, 2017

User Review: "The State of Monetate"

Monetate is being used for E-commerce [website] which could be considered just one department, but on the other hand is all it could be used for (our buyers or photographers certainly couldn't get anything out of it.) The primary problem it addresses for us is easy execution of A/B tests of changes to the website. It provides other tools such as analytics and recommendation carousels, but those are otherwise available as-good or better; its A/B testing is top-notch though.
  • A/B Testing is #1 with a bullet. It can do virtually anything and gives robust data comparing groups, plus you can add new, custom metrics on top. Not to say improvements couldn't be made, though. In particular the way they handle multi-group tests is sub-optimal.
  • Badging is also useful, though more as a convenience than a necessity, as it'd be easy enough to create the effect without them. Their implementation is simple enough that our production team can change them on their own, without any dev support.
  • Some of their provided widgets aren't made with speed in mind, which critical in these increasingly mobile based days. For example, we had a recommendation carousel at the bottom of the homepage with 5 starting images (screen width allowing) that by default populated 8 pages of products--40 images total. It loaded them immediately as part of page load. It should wait until the widget scrolls into view, or the 'more' arrow is tapped.
  • Their staffing seems to be in some upheaval currently. We had one great CSM for a long time, but now in the last year we've had at least 3 different ones (I can't even remember them all), some for as little as a month.
  • Placing a widget on a page at any point other than immediately (such as only after scrolling a certain distance, or inside an opened modal) is extremely difficult currently.
+Its A/B tests are the best I've seen.
+Its insertable product carousels are good if you don't have any other source for such things. However they only display basic groups like a given category or best sellers, which leave them inferior to AI learning recommendations such as Sales Force's Einstein.
+Badging is easy to use if it needs to be handled by someone non-technical. "Just paste the SKUs in this text box" is pretty easy to understand.
-Its general analytics outside of comparing test groups are severely lacking, falling far behind even the basic level of Google Analytics, for example. (Though GA's A/B testing feature is garbage, so having both is a good complement.)
July 25, 2017

Monetate Review: "Great Platform & Easy to Use!"

We use monetate in our ecommerce department. We have 2 main users who work hand in hand to improve our website and test different experiences and creative across our site. It addresses multiple business problems, from checkout to search, to product recommendations.
  • The platform itself is extremely easy to use.
  • Weekly calls with support.
  • Ideas on how to improve and test are always welcome.
  • Reporting is a little difficult.
  • There has been quite a lot of changes with employees coming in and out of play.
Monetate is well suited if you need a quick fix/change to your website. Also if you want to test different aspects of your site it is super simple to set up a test and see the results come through. It will show when your test has reached significance and different metrics for that test.
July 25, 2017

Monetate Review: "A Great Tool for Business Users When IT is Slow"

We primarily use Monetate to A/B test experiences on our website and to implement HTML/CSS/image updates that we would need our development agency to do. It allows us to get changes to the website very quickly. We are also starting to use it for personalization purposes.
  • Allows for easy A/B(/C) testing setup and analytics.
  • Easy for business users with limited HTML/CSS experience to set up actions on the website.
  • I wish that endcaps and other opportunities for personalization weren't so manual to set up. I would like one action to be able to show an endcap on the homepage and display products from the category the user was just viewing. Instead, I need to set up "viewed this category, show this category on the homepage" for each category I want to show, which could be dozens.
  • Experiences should be able to have the same priority numbers or be able to be set to a permanent high priority. Every time I place a new banner or callout I don't want to have to go back and rearrange the banners from other experiences to be higher or lower. I'd like all "brand type" banners to be priority 1, "promo type" banners to be priority 2, etc. -- Maybe set priority by folder.
Monetate is great for setting up promotional callouts on our website. It's very strong for A/B testing and putting "band-aids" on our site, but more laborious when using it for personalization.
September 18, 2017

Monetate Review: "Room for Improvement"

It is being used in the e-commerce department for the customer experience team. It addresses customer experience issues within our direct to consumer website.
  • Client services - quick to respond to issues
  • Forward looking initiatives - early access program allows clients to test out new services
  • Training documentation - educational webinars available about how to use
  • Need dev support - web development expertise is required in order to set up tests actions.
  • QA process - they seem to test on simulators which causes issues with mobile actions and experiences. We often have to send work for further QA.
  • Client-focused - focus is on monetate, not on client. Pushes programs that might not make sense for a client in order to further new products.
Monetate is well suited for a larger testing and optimization team that has internal web development support. For lean teams without much expertise, it might not be the best option. It takes 2-4 weeks for Monetate to set up actions, so it is not the best vendor for agile groups working at a fast pace.
August 11, 2017

Monetate Review: "User friendly, flexible, marketing tool."

Monetate is being used across our Marketing department to enhance the customer experience. It is being used for targeting customers with specific promotion messaging, testing offers / creative / functionality, and lightbox messaging. It allows us to target specific customers with relevant messaging to optimize orders, traffic and revenue.
  • Monetate is very user friendly, which allows multiple departments to use the tool and be self sufficient.
  • I feel Monetate is fit our needs perfectly, so can't think of anything I would have done differently.
Monetate is great for smaller teams in that you have help from Monetate (tech, strategy, etc) and it's very intuitive, so you don't have to be a rocket scientist to use the tool or code things. Once our tech team sets it up, we're good to go using it.
August 09, 2017

Review: "Monetate has been a great UX resource for our team"

We use Monetate at my company to A/B test different experiences on our sites. Monetate allows us to back up our UX with data. Monetate proved most helpful while testing our checkout. We have multiple sites at my company, and we were able to use Monetate to flip the site tests on one by one.
  • Good project managers. They keep constant contact.
  • Good support. We have had great experience with their support team.
  • The way Monetate displays data makes it easy to read and understand.
  • More in depth help on formulating ideas to test.
It allows you to base UX off of data rather than just a gut feeling. They display the data in a way that is easy to read and understand.
August 07, 2017

User Review: "New to Monetate but great so far!"

We use monetate for quick bug fixes as well as for A/B testing and their new intelligent delivery system. They are instrumental for helping us offer a personalized experience for our consumers as well as executing special promotions. It is currently only used by the e-commerce department.
  • Great customer support
  • Easy to use UI
Montetate is well suited for businesses big and small.
July 31, 2017

Monetate Review: "Solid tool but problematic for those outside of ecommerce space"

Monetate is being used by the marketing department to test landing pages, e-commerce flows, introduce and test new experiences on our websites, and serve layer ads. Development resources are tight, so Monetate allows us to iterate on our current e-commerce and site experiences and only push those experiences through to development once they've proved valuable.
  • Serve layer ads with advanced targeting
  • Run multivariate tests with advanced targeting and segmentation
  • Easily customize onsite experience based on advanced targeting
  • Services have been an issue. The business model has changed, and services once handled by Monetate are now being outsourced. Lots of turnover on the account and services side.
  • Initial integration was painful. For full integration with our e-commerce flows, we had to add instrumented tagging. The initial integration did not meet our needs but it took a full year to realize that. Integration might not be as simple as they pitch.
  • Full page A/B testing always seemed more complicated than it should be.
For a more simple website with a shopping cart and for a user who doesn't need a lot of services, this is a good tool. The user interface is intuitive and with some effort, someone can become pretty self-sufficient with the tool. The tool would be especially useful for those who are in the e-commerce space.

About Monetate

Monetate is a leading personalization software for consumer-facing brands, used by QVC, Newegg Inc., J. Crew Group Inc., The North Face, and hundreds of other retailers. It enables brands to create individualized experiences for site visitors, with the goal of improving engagement and business performance.

The Monetate platform is open, designed to work seamlessly across the user's marketing stack. Monetate is real-time too, with machine learning capabilities to help deliver 1-to-1 personalization at scale.

Monetate Features

Has featureTesting
Has featureSegmentation
Has featureMachine Learning
Has featureData Integration
Has featureAPIs

Monetate Videos (3)

Watch Personalization Today: Everyone loves ice cream, but not everyone loves chocolate. Stop giving your customers the same flavor. This video is great for an introduction on the concept of 1-to-1 personalization.

Watch Introducing the Engine: It's not magic, but it feels a bit like science fiction. The Monetate Personalization Engine is your ticket to more ROI with less effort. Fabulous as a next touch once appetites have been whet with the concept of 1-to-1 personalization.

Watch Why Do We Need Machine Learning: Your customers are a multiverse of unique characteristics. Don't get caught in the infinite vacuum of scaling to all of their needs. A great touch to get people understanding the advantage that comes from a machine learning approach. Excellent follow up to "Introducing the Engine".

Monetate Integrations

Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics, SAP Hybris, Intershop Commerce Suite, Tealium AudienceStream, Magento Commerce Cloud (formerly Magento), Oracle DMP (Bluekai), Web Analytics Platforms, Demandware, IBM WebSphere Commerce, NeuStar PageAdvisor

Monetate Competitors