Reviews (1-25 of 78)
- Account support
- Ease of use
- DIY tests
- Exit feedback tool.
- Clarification on the KPIs tracked on each experience.
- Impact of results of experiences ran simultaneously on the same pages.
- Social proof options.
- Monetate cookie provides behavior's targets, and allows the business to provide a more relevant journey.
- The system is very user-friendly, meaning training someone new is quick and effective.
- Monetate support is always very helpful, and the account managers are keen to keep it up to date.
- A Monetate app would be great, as the mobile site is extremely hard to use.
- Matching the business product feed with the Monetate data has proven to be difficult.
- Targeting a whole categories PDP is very hard to do with Monetate, unless you have time to find the whole categories of product codes.
- Providing more Monetate training.
Targeting specific customers within Monetate, such as Google shopping customers or customers previously bought dresses etc. Completing homepage testing for personalized journeys through the AI testing tool.
Less suited to:
The Monetates analytics page is not very helpful, and it would be great to have more results. Testing sequencing within Monetate has also proven difficult.
- Easy to use.
- Tests are easily customizable within the tool, through the html, css, and js boxes.
- An excellent support system, either through Monetate support or through our contact with the account managers.
- The analytics is known to be 5% invalid when compared to GA, especially monetary measurements.
- Provide more in-depth analysis for tests.
- The AI tool should be able to better recognize smaller differences.
- Adding promotional banners under the top nav across the site
- Testing and measuring a/b efforts like PDP revisions or similar updates
- hiding elements that may be hindering the customer experience as a hotfix
- documentation could be updated more regularly
- Training information and videos are very basic
- The overall organization can be improved
- Really strong account service team who are very knowledgeable, insightful and quick to respond.
- Platform is easy to use.
- Experiences can be created internally once you have received training.
- Still not 100% across the analytics/reporting component
- Would be great if we had a local team, given the differences in time zones
- Ability to get experiences immediately online.
- Ability to compare multiple metrics for A/B testing.
- Ability to duplicate experiences.
- Custom events are not easy to use and don't get copied while duplicating experiences.
- When opening different experiences/actions in different tabs, all tabs switch to the same action/experience
- Impossible to track custom event on added element (added through Test version) with Inspector before experience is actually live.
- Differences between experience types (Majority fit vs standard A/B etc is not very clear in the interface. Inexperienced users sometimes choose the wrong experience type as a consequence.
- Bounce rate sounds sometimes incorrect. The experiment has a bigger bounce rate 90% of the time.
- Lack metrics such as Exit rates and Median order value.
- AB Testing: ease of use & ability to access metrics/analytics
- Campaigns/Promotions: preview mode is especially helpful in identifying exactly what will show up
- Customer segmentation functionality would be great in identifying the different types of customers we have
- Other ways to organize/gather data to identify different perspectives
It's efficient and easy to use.
- Targeting. We get to target different branches across the UK and also we can target users whether they are logged in or not.
- Quick Win. Changing something as a reactive response is super easy with Monetate and saves us going into our CMS.
- Analytics. We can see our each of our events perform.
- In my opinion, the only thing I would change is finding the right blog/help guide to use.
- Ability to AB test very easily.
- Very flexible/customizable lightbox tool.
- Easy to target specific users by uploading datasets.
- Lightboxes that adjust for desktop vs. mobile experiences.
- Easier integration with custom analytics we use internally.
Monetate Review: "Good tool for creating promotions, adding badges to the products and create a lis of relevant items"
- It has great customer segmentation capability
- It has good analytical tools
- It is intuitive even for a novice
- Sometimes it is hard to find what you are looking for (for example, how to export data)
- The way of specifying pages on which promotion should be displayed could be improved
- It is hard to organize promotions
- You can test virtually ANYTHING on your website. Once you know what you're doing, it is really easy to upload assets and really customize the details of your test.
- If you have multiple websites, you can keep all of your website tests separate - for example, we manage two separate brands, both which have 3 environments we can set up tests in: development, staging, and production environments. So, we can easily manage 6 separate test groups and store the various content in the proper section, very easily.
- The design is really clean and easy to navigate. It is easy to organize and filter your experiments, you can tag them to make filtering a lot easier (especially when you have a bunch of experiments running at the same time), and the simple function of duplicating an experiment makes minor changes to a grand experiment SO much quicker.
- The Monetate Inspector tool (I could be using the wrong word, sorry!) also allows you to far more easily identify the unique ID of an experiment so you can find it in Monetate and make any desired changes rather than sifting one by one through your various experiments trying to figure out which one you mean to edit.
- The learning curve is a little steep, especially if you're unfamiliar with HTML/CSS. The tool is so powerful but can be overwhelming at first. The intro instructional videos/content is helpful but it doesn't cover everything. We needed to partner with an optimization company to better understand the tool and get started.
- Setting up an experiment for the first time isn't simple when you're a marketer who is inexperienced with any sort of web development or even just HTML/CSS. While you can easily select the area you want to create a test with, you don't have a way to easily manipulate that section without the use of HTML/CSS.
- The first optimization company Monetate recommended us to was horrible - it really was awful working with them. We had dedicated (paid for!) hours that got wasted after the company wasted our time in each meeting (when we did have one - they often needed to reschedule) and they barely knew what our company even did despite multiple meetings. Those hours, despite the awful experience, were never fulfilled, never reimbursed, never carried over to the new (and far better) company. This left a bad taste in my mouth. While I really like this product and it does everything we need, this awful experience and lack of ownership on their end was highly disappointing. We are moving forward though - and happy with our results.
- Supportive account team to help us use Monetate to the best of its capabilities
- Intuitive to use and learn
- Has a vast array of functionality options to maximise possibilities to test/personalise
- Monetate-built actions are often locked down so the client user cannot amend to be bespoke for their needs. Therefore any changes wanted require a new Monetate dev ticket. This can be time consuming
Far superior to any other platform I've used in my time as a CRO and UX professional and actually very competitive on price. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Monetate as my first choice of personalisation and testing platform in a move to a new company that didn't currently utilise testing tools due to how easy it is to become acquainted with the tool. I also remember, at my previous workplace, Monetate were happy to come in and run training sessions which were very valuable. Their conferences and events have also been informative and enlightening, in my experience.
- Customer service - Their customer service is far better than any of their competitors that I've used in the past. I've had detailed coding help and suggestions to improve experiences within hours of lodging a support ticket.
- Intuitive interface - The action builder is so easy to use, even if you don't have a good grasp on HTML/CSS and makes it possible to get launch experiences quickly which is important in a retail environment where things are so changeable.
- Analytics - The speed at which detailed information comes in about whether an experience is performing is great and the level of detail makes it possible to provide business cases to key project stakeholders efficiently.
- Lack of ability to move experiences to another folder if you're on the main experience page - This has bugged me for ages because we do a lot of experience duplication for different campaigns every month and it would be easier if you could duplicate and move folders on the same page.
- Mass content upload. I may just be missing this feature somewhere but I've never been able to upload more than one piece of content at once and it's quite frustrating.
- More Manchester based events. This one is obviously specific to my location and I understand why London is the hub for events but it would be nice to have more frequent opportunities to liaise with other Monetate users locally.
I would also say that in the case of wanting to set up very specific experiments, Monetate is very useful as the targeting can be quite complex and there is the ability to integrate with other applications as well as set up custom targets.
- Our Monetate team is amazing! They taught us well, are quick to answer questions, and are very organized to keep us on track.
- Simple-to-use interface makes it easy for business users to set up experiences with little to no web dev assistance.
- We've gotten some great ideas out of the Insight reports our team has provided. Some of them we tested already, and others inspired even more ideas!
- We'd like to be able to use the Monetate resources to help us set up tests that require web dev (to get it out of our backlog), but they also have wait times similar to our internal ones. I realize resources are hard to come by, but this is an area we'd love to be able to utilize more if the turnaround were quicker.
- IE is always a problem. I know it's not Monetate-specific though, and many tools struggle with IE.
- We have a large percentage of our users who use IE, and I'd like to provide more experiences in IE without and additional hassle.
More complicated tests require web dev. I'd like to be able to "safely" shift and style elements in a WYSIWYG interface, but the interface provides most of what I want.
- Dynamic test to let users test several different ideas at the same time while dynamically distributing traffic to the highest ROI.
- Live analytics to show us where the test is at and to easily compare the experiment with original (control).
- Faster development job is done when requested.
- I know the company has been undergoing a change but staff has changed so often that our personalized staff has changed numerous times.
- The reps are extremely timely in their responses and knowledgeable about the system.
- Monetate has a WYSIWYG system for making changes on web pages that is extremely easy to use.
- Reporting is clear and easy to share with others.
- Some DIV tags cannot be selected in ActionBuilder and there is no explanation in the interface as to why that is.
- The dataset upload tool errors out sometimes, but when you click "View Error", nothing happens.
- Relatively easy user interface to use. We have separated our Monetetate hub by site - very easy to use.
- Building tests or experiences has a good builder addressing what you are building, where it is targeting, when the experience should run and why
- The majority fit setting provides a good low risk way of determining if a fix is a 'winner' or not
- A very helpful and extensive Knowledge Hub
- Searching through all the experiences or tests you put online is reliant on a very robust naming convention
- We would like an easier place for notes for each experience or test to be stored so that these are searchable. This allows things like project briefs to be summarised for the purpose of the wider team
- It would be great if Monetate had an improved preview function to allow you to view an experience on the device and screen resolution of your choice. Currently, to fully test your experiences, you'll need a few browser apps which allows you to mimic devices, clear cookies...
- A smarter way of building out variations for tests would be useful. Occasionally, a test that has a lot of different variables (but ultimately quite similar) will require you to setup multiple experiences to achieve this
Whilst the majority fit works well as a low risk way of showing that a test will work, it does not give you learning or insight as to why something does or does not work.
- Intuitive UI. I am fairly technical but discussing the product with others on my team, they all agree that it is very easy to use.
- Monetate has taken a complex idea like personalization and has turned it into a simple problem to solve by thinking who, what, when, etc. to each situation. This was a much more elegant way to approach the problem than other vendors.
- They have great support and seem to really care about your success, as well as have motivation to push you, the client, to get going and find success with the tool.
- In the pre-sales process, they really want to sell you billable hours. These hours do not transfer to the next calendar year and are not refundable. It is a poor system.
- Their technical documentation is confusing in spots and could be improved. We followed documentation, with an eyebrow raised in some cases, and then were told to go down a different path which was not listed in the documentation (but made more sense.)
- I can't speak to the success or not of the program, but we are currently working with a third party of Monetate (who Monetate put us in touch with, as part of our billable hours.) Its not a con per se, but feels weird.
- Easy to use interface.
- Seamless for the end user.
- SEO is not affected.
- Personalized site means greater retention and interest.
- Doesn't always work with active or JS controlled elements on the site.
- We use a lot of support hours to implement experiences.
We haven't found it that effective for converting for revenue in our market but we are not in a traditional e-commerce business. A normal retail site would see bigger benefits that we do.
- Monetate does well with showing us the impact of a test in a clear, detailed way. There are many different tests that can be done in Monetate and the results can be broken down by conversion, bounce rate, add to cart rate etc. This has helped us create the best possible experience for our customers.
- Monetate has tons of variety of different ways you can optimize a website. From badging, product cross-sells, navigation changes and product changes, it's now easy to completely change a portion of the website without having to go to IT for help.
- Monetate saves and archives all tests, even after they are completed. It's nice to have the option to look at what we did the past month or year and have the results saved as well.
- Monetate can be difficult to learn at first. I think having a clear way to access how-to guides or videos would help employees learn the tool faster.
- A small criticism but Monetate doesn't allow you to delete any experiences. It can make the platform a bit messy because there are times where we practice creating experiences and now they can't be deleted.
- Monetate's knowledge base has been so helpful! Before I send an email to our rep, I always search the knowledge base first and most answers you'll find there!
- During implementation, there are detailed check-lists on next steps. Being the project leader I found this extremely helpful. Mostly because it was easy to delegate items to the team and everyone was held responsible for their part of the implementation timeline.
- Monetate provides training modules to get you familiar with setting up Experiences prior to a formal training. We all found this helpful because we had came to formal training with questions about specific use cases.
- Once you get in the UI it's extremely easy to navigate - this was something we were really excited about. We wanted the UI to be business user friendly and it completely met our expectations.
- There seems to be very limited targeting options in Open-time Email. Onsite content has much more robust options in targeting.
- Our rep and platform consultant aren't as responsive to questions and insights as we hoped they would be. We expect answers from them within the same day and sometimes it's days before I have to follow-up on where this is at.
- There are limitations on measuring the true success of personalized emails. The only email analytics you see in the UI are on the clicks on the Monetate creative. We would like to know whether someone saw the personalized content and then clicked in the header or footer in the email template. Unfortunately there's no way to achieve that in Monetate. You would have to utilize your ESP to A/B test and determine the true success of a personalized email.
- Fast: It's great that Monetate is a layer on top of our website. We are able to add things without code change and see the campaigns in action in real time.
- Strong analytics: I like how Monetate guides you through the analytics and has goal levels to let users know if the engine feels confident in the results, or needs more time for testing.
- Technicality: While not exactly something Monetate can fix, most of our tests require development from our team or the Monetate team. As a business user, it would be nice to be able to create my own campaigns outside of a development queue.
Monetate Scorecard Summary
Monetate is an ecommerce personalization software for consumer-facing brands. It is used by QVC, Newegg Inc., J. Crew Group Inc., The North Face, and hundreds of other retailers according to the vendor. Monetate enables brands to create individualized experiences for site visitors, with the goal of improving engagement and business performance.
The Monetate platform is open, designed to work seamlessly across the user's marketing stack. Monetate is real-time too, with machine learning capabilities to help deliver 1-to-1 personalization at scale.
Monetate Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Monetate Technical Details