Reviews (1-25 of 39)
It is so nice to be able to answer the question "What happens if we ....?" We have not come across an idea yet that we have not been able to test in some fashion using Monetate. Personalizing our site by customer, recognizing how they found us, and displaying content relevant to them is not only possible, it's relatively easy. Hardest part is usually coming up with the creative. Being able to quickly add a block of text where you don't currently have a div setup is amazing.
You don't need to be and expert programmer to make real changes to the look and feel of your site.
- Ease of segmentation.
- Ease of action builder. You don't need to know how to code html or java to create most of your actions. Even novice users can make substantial changes.
- Support. The support that you get from your Client Success Managers make a big difference with the tool. You are not left to your own devices to figure out how best to accomplish a test. They make sure you are getting what you pay for.
- A/B testing functionality.
- Reporting analytics for A/B tests and experiences.
- Ability to provide product recommendations based upon site data, and feeding through a variety of algorithms.
- Ease of use resulting in quick and easy implementation. Team members have been able to quickly learn the tool and understand how to implement both easy and complex campaigns.
- Wonderful support with rapid response to any questions or concerns. Questions are responded to quickly and updates on progress are given regularly.
- Capabilities are endless. If you can think of it, Monetate will help you find a way to do it.
- Based on their road map, Monetate is listening to their customers and continually moving forward.
- The tool they offer is exceptional - easy to use, easy to understand the analytics
- Our support team is phenomenal. We are in touch with them regularly and they are an excellent resource for us.
- Monetate offers a variety of on-site resources, with up to date eCommerce information of everything that is going on in the industry
Just starting to use email tool - currently geo targeting to help drive to closest stores and will use to test promo language.
- Tool is very intuitive - easy to use right out of the box. Users can create tests starting day 1 AND it is so easy to build upon existing campaigns..feels like a limitless amount of things you can accomplish right away.
- Analytics - again straightforward design - easy to access and take away learnings. For example - when we tested abandoned cart messaging (adding links to customer service, etc) with no offer - saw 22% increase in add to cart and 9% decline in bounce rate. Can utilize the Monetate summary dashboard or look at data directly.
- Support team - consistent knowledgeable members who make the effort to understand client end goals - then help develop action/strategy plan to accomplish AND help execute. Whether providing / assisting with training to helping to troubleshoot to building in-house. Always accessible - whenever i've had a question/issue!
- Engage email program isn't managed the same way as Merchandiser. While our team helped get us up and running with the tool and provided support in initial programs to test, we have to go through Monetate Support for additional help. Wish it was all in one place/one team.
- As a small brand that is part of a larger corporation where other brands also use Monetate...think it's a good decision recently implemented to re-organize so that there is a team/acct lead for the corporation. There are a lot of good learnings that we needed someone to facilitate sharing across the different brands. It took a while to implement - but a good improvement.
Do you have someone in place who has the time to manage tests - creating test plans, building/or working with Monetate to build campaigns and react to results? It is easy to use Monetate to make changes to site quickly (skipping internal development) and to skip the testing - you have to be rigorous in taking advantage of that piece of the tool. Otherwise..
Do you have a clunky development process - that makes it hard to make site changes? Monetate works well for emergency quick fixes (such as updating incorrect messaging/adding a disclaimer) as well as more developmentally intensive changes such as adding Paypal to minicart. It's so easy to use that we often rely on Monetate to manage content pieces on site and mobile.
- The UI is intuitive. With very little training team members start using the tools.
- It is versatile - a testing, targeting, a second CMS, and recommendation engine which can be used virtually anywhere on the site.
- It is light. Integration is fast and does not slow down site speed. We even use Monetate to test certain 3P functionality, integrating through Monetate and testing the application to validate impact on site KPI rather than just integrating the 3P directly into the platform.
- Client Services team very proactive in helping our team identify opportunities and get quick results. Also very responsive when we need to use Monetate to quickly address issues affecting the business.
- The technology is fantastic and can help take your website and on-site marketing efforts to the next level.
- Customer service is always responsive and extremely helpful.
- Real-time reporting would be a huge improvement.
- The ability to target customers based on an on-site event is also functionality that would be great to have.
- Provide customers with the power to change what was previously unchangeable. We can now alter our site thorough Monetate when such tasks would previously take months.
- Great customer service. Any issue or question I have they answer it and look for ways to improve it going forward. They are constantly looking to improve their tool and listen to customers' pain points and feedback. Many concerns and suggestions I have had, have been implemented on the dashboard. It's nice to know my opinion and voice matter.
- Testing. Before Monetate we would alter or roll out with things based on the loudest opinion. Now, we have results to show what works and what doesn't.
- Adding Badges ("best seller")
- Adding a pop up for new email sign ups
- Adding a banner a promotional banner (Free shipping use code..)
- The reporting could be cleaner
- I wish there was a mobile preview
- More testing examples for product pages and site content
- The ease of setting up actions to add new content or remove existing content from the web site is very streamlined and even non-coders on our team can do so with ease and little difficulty.
- With the power of A/B testing on virtually anything we post to the site with Monetate we can gauge user response and acceptance and target the "better" CTR on specific designs. This expedites the creation of future designs as we know what works--and what doesn't.
- Running concurrent campaigns throughout the site is simple as you can easily pause and edit anything running on the site with little interruption to the flow of the existing site.
- The action builder interface has come a long way, but there are times when it feels intrusive. The top nav bar that is shown should be resizable to the user specifications... not on the standard sizes that Monetate dictates.
- Sharing tests with others is quite easy, however, a test should be made available to "test" automatically rather than having to build a specific link. Users should be able to set a target location and allow others to see it as part ot the set up process and that "share link" should be automatically generated upon "completion" of building a campaign. Having to click elsewhere and build a link foolish as it is nearly always a "next step".
- Capture customers' behavior real time.
- Easy to use UI.
- There are endless combination of targeting variables to utilize.
- Faster turnaround time for special targeting variable request.
- Deliver new features for the UI at the time they promised.
- Monetate's testing tool is extremely user friendly, reliable and robust. The tool itself allows us to test content and functionality in 2-4 weeks where it would normally take months for our IT team to prioritize and build.
- Monetate's service is above and beyond. They assign each client a very knowledgeable and helpful client success manager who speaks with us weekly and answers emails daily when we have questions. They are proactive about testing suggestions and ideas and are extremely quick to respond to questions.
- I can implement my tests/features with little to no HTML coding experience. It's great!
- Instant previews and instant fixes before pushing an experience live.
- Segmenting is very easy and clear of which customers will and won't see a given experience.
- Some lag when searching for experiences, but we have multiple brands all on the same account, so this is likely part of the issue. This lag was severely decreased with a recent update.
- Not being able to preview every type of experience. Some you have to push live and just use IP segmentation to preview before rolling out to segmented customers.
- Their knowledge base and university is extremely informative and helpful when you need some extra help understanding the product features and capabilities.
- The Summit is incredible in every way. All the speakers were outstanding. The entertainment and networking opportunities were also a huge value add, and the one day university helped me gain confidence using the tool and learn helpful tips from other retail customers.
- The PEOPLE! The account reps and everyone else there provide incredible service all the time and everyone I have met at the company goes overboard to make sure customers are happy with the product, using it to its fullest potential, and meeting their goals.
- The product is awesome and extremely easy to use even for non-technical people.
Review: "Monetate delivers personalized experiences to your customers, across channels and devices."
- Creating campaigns is as simple as click and point. No coding experience required.
- Building customer segments based on used behavior.
- Managing campaigns in real time.
- Analytics and actionable insights provided for each campaign.
- I love that I can easily and quickly build an action, and implement within a very small time frame.
- Troubleshooting is simple with Monetate support.
- The software is very easy for me to understand and their knowledge base is first class.
- Action builder could be simpler to use. Sometimes it doesn't seem to pull specific elements out of my native site and instead groups them together.
- I'd like to see the metrics UI updated. I recently pulled metrics for campaigns and items that had not hit significance display in a pale gray text.
- I'd like to be able to contact support via phone.
I currently use Monetate on most of our web properties, and plan on expanding. Being able to personalize the sites has helped us differentiate our sites from each other, although we still have a long way to go.
- I have really enjoyed finding out who our customer is by using Live Audience. To me, it is the closest thing to the Marketing Holy Grail that I have seen. Knowing that much information about our customers is going to be invaluable.
- The analytical aspect of the Test Lab has helped us make improvements across our organization. The ability to show conversion rates, revenue increases and Add to Cart rates have helped us move the needle on change.
- I have been impressed with the communication from Monetate. Our Client Success team is always available for questions and help. Many times contacting vendors can be very hard, but Monetate understands what we are trying to do, and knows that sometimes time is an issue. They are always eager to help, and never rude or complaining.
- Support/education - every new feature that is rolled out comes with a webinar and instruction. This is so helpful.
- Ideas - our rep is constantly evaluating our site to see if there are any new things we could try.
- Flexibility - We can do almost anything with Monetate, but if we can't, I know that they're open to the idea of adding something to their development schedule. It's nice to know that your opinion matters.
- The turn around time is fast. Two weeks usually.
- The staff is always available and helpful.
- The capabilities of the tool are fantastic. It is rare when they cannot make a campaign that I request.
- Targeting and segmentation- for those that don't have sophisticated content management systems and for those hoping to better personalize their site.
- Showing incremental lift/decrease- for things like promotions and other site enhancements, Monetate does a great job of giving an incremental dollar figure to things that top level executives are going to want to see.
- Ease of use- the UI is incredibly user-friendly and Action Builder is a great asset for people who aren't as adept with coding and such.
- Being quicker to release new features after they are announced. We often wait a year to gain access to features we are excited to use after they are announced.
- Being quicker to build out actions around the holiday shopping season.
- In terms of client support, we find that we have to sometimes remind our client service members about tests and other things discussed on update calls. A consistent follow up status email after each call or some other method of keeping track of things going on would be most helpful.
- Allows our marketing team to efficiently and effectively launch tests and manage our onsite marketing campaigns without relying on our technical team.
- More opportunity for personalization and advanced segmentation of offers.
- Client success team easy to work with and very solution oriented.
- More robust reporting and data extraction to a third party BI tool.
- There can be a fairly lengthy "flicker" at times with swapping content when using the asynchronous tags.
- Monetate is extremely powerful while minimizing it's impact on site performance.
- Monetate enables non-technical people to intelligently merchandise their sites.
- Monetate was wildly simple to implement and their staff has been very helpful
- Their backend could use some improvements. Juggling 15-20 tests makes finding and editing campaigns difficult.
- Their reporting seems a bit too basic
- Their support platforms are a bit expensive and are a little light on guidance
- Very easy to set up new tests.
- Very easy to report on these tests.
- Super quick changes can be made to your site that are automatic.
- Reporting was not always as reliable as I had hoped.
- Should be some kind of alert when you create or start a test that interferes with another.
- Site wide recommendations
- Customer Service - fast problem solvers
- Teaching how to maximize the tool
- Some tracking sources
- Being able to duplicate storefront recs to mobile instead of having to create to separate campaigns.
Easy to understand - speak your language.
They get to learn your world and how their tool will best represent your company.
Monetate is a website optimization and personalization product. The company offers a strong product tailored to the needs of e-commerce and retailers. Customers are mostly enterprise brands.
Monetate was founded in 2008 and is based in Philadelphia, with offices in London and Palo Alto, California. The company started as an offer management system focused on presenting the right offer at the right time to customers. This gave rise to the personalization engine and testing solutions that Monetate offers today. The company generally caters to enterprise customers, but recently introduced products focused on the SMB. Most of their customer base is in the United States, but they are rapidly growing in Europe. They have raised $46 million in funding since inception.
|Pricing||From $1k to $2k per month, up to ~$1m per year for large enterprises using professional services*|
|Rating Attribute||Monetate||# of Reviewers Contributing to Rating Average||A/B Testing Category Average|
|Likelihood to recommend||9||20||8.4|
|Likelihood to renew||8.9||20||8|
|Monetate Strengths||Monetate Areas for Improvement|
|Ease of use
Interface is easy to learn and use for non-technical people. In addition to testing and personalization, many users say they use the tool to make quick website changes without going through their IT department.
Users would like to see enhanced reporting and more detailed analytics.
Note: the company recently launched a more robust reporting module that may address this issue.
Monetate's support team is knowledgeable, quick to respond, and very “solution-oriented,” as one user put it.
|Speed of new feature releases
Two users mentioned that new product releases are often not launched on schedule. However, users like that the company is innovative in creating new features.
|Personalization and targeting
Users like the ability to personalize content and target specific visitors for promotions based on a number of variables, and a few specifically mentioned the geo- and weather-targeting capabilities.
Because Monetate uses an asynchronous method (meaning everything loads at the same time, to avoid a website delay), there can be a flicker effect if Monetate's code loads after the website's code.
Note: this can be resolved if the client uses Monetate's synchronous tag.
“Monetate was founded by people who took a scientific approach to marketing,” says Bruce Ernst, Vice President of Product Management at Monetate. “We were in the optimization and testing and personalization business before we knew what the name of that game was.” The tool started as an offer management system focused on presenting the right offer at the right time to customers, which then gave rise to powerful personalization capabilities.
The company incorporated testing in response to customer requests, since at the time testing tools were difficult to use, he says. “We invested very heavily in making it easy and simple for regular marketers to set up sophisticated A/B and multivariate tests.”
Ernst says the company is focused on removing obstacles to testing and personalization. “In the real world, in 25% of tests, the new treatment outperforms the original; in 25% the new treatment underperforms, and the rest of the time, the test is a wash,” he says. “Winning tests are like hitting a homerun: the more times you are at bat, the more homeruns you'll hit. We make it really easy to set up and run lots and lots of tests.”
That's why the company charges a flat fee for their tool, rather than volume-based charging, he says. “We do not charge by the number of tests or level of effort. You should run a lot of tests to get good results, and we don't want to build in a disincentive.”
Ernst also says personalization and testing are closely related. “Often the 50% of tests that don't produce a significant result—often it's because you didn't look deep enough,” he says. “Maybe new versus returning visitors reacted differently. When you test for everybody, the results tend to cancel each other out and the test is inconclusive.”
The tool integrates with third-party data systems, CRMs, and all of the major web analytics vendors, he says.
The company is focused heavily on enterprise customers, many with more than 1,000 employees, Ernst says. However, they have recently launched a new product that caters to the SMB. “Organizations of all sizes can benefit from testing and personalization,” he says.
Key verticals served include retail, travel and financial services. Most customers are located in the United States, but the customer base has grown 300% in Europe in the last year, he says.
“We have a relentless drive to make things simpler and easier,” Ernst says. For example, the company just released a product that will identify a user's top five most important customer segments. They are also planning on introducing mobile app testing, he says.
Response to Feedback from Monetate Reviews
“Our roadmap is driven by customer feedback,” Ernst says. “In terms of the flicker issue, our first goal was to never, ever hold up your site, so we ran completely asynchronously.” This meant that it was possible for regular content to beat Monetate content to the site, thus producing a flicker. Based on customer feedback, the company introduced an option for a synchronous tag, thus removing the flicker issue, he says.
“We also just released a more robust analytics component,” he says, also based on client feedback. “It's much more detailed in terms of being able to segment inside an experiment and drill down and discover specific groups of visitors, after a test has run.”