Tableau Server Review: "Tabeau the BI-Giant"https://www.trustradius.com/business-intelligenceTableau ServerUnspecified85171012017-04-21T19:41:41.563Z
Overall Satisfaction with Tableau Server
Tableau server is the backbone of all BI reporting in my current company and also in my previous company. We have users across the globe using tableau every day to view their KPIs and make effective business decisions. Tableau's ease of use and powerful visualization makes it an obvious choice for our business users to use it as the front end BI application for all major data-driven decisions.
- Scalability: one can easily add workers to the primary computer and thus increase performance of the enterprise tableau server.
- Security: Tableau server allows user to define security on multiple levels (server, site, project and workbook).
- Distribution: makes it easy to distribute tableau dashboards across the organization since it's web based.
- Making any change to the tableau infrastructure needs a restart of tableau server.
- Extract refresh once started cannot be canceled.
- License management is not possible using tableau server.
- Tableau is a stable and time tested product which can handle hundreds and thousands of users and a huge amount of content, plus tableau has also introduced a web authoring tool which you can [use to] edit dashboards using your browser.
- However, the recent introduction of NLP and keyword search based BI applications like ThoughtSpot and answer rocket are disruptive to the normal trend of BI technologies and hence bring to the table a new range of solutions that allow the users to generate reports on the go.
Tableau supports a whole lot of database connectors plus it can connect to datasources not listed using an ODBC connector. The connectivity options range from excel to AWS, hadoop, postgres etc. In the new version of tableau 10.2 they have also introduced the feature of blending different datasources in the data import window.
Tableau server is a web-based solution so any published dashboard can be accessed using a URL (provided the user has access to it), tableau can also be accessed using the tableau mobile app on android or IOS. Tableau has a robust security model that works on multiple levels to ensure proper access to server, site, project and workbooks. Along with sharing the new web authoring feature has made consuming tableau dashboards, even more, fun cause now one can also make changes to a dashboard on the browser provided they have access to it.
- Tableau server is well suited for hosting tableau dashboards showcasing KPIs and other business specific metrics.
- It is extremely helpful when it comes to refreshing tableau extracts on a schedule
- Tableau server is totally not able to track the licensed tableau desktop users which makes license management a pain
- Tableau should also improve the way tableau server scales up and down on a user managed cloud without forcing the user to restart it.
Tableau Server Feature Ratings
Pixel Perfect reports
Report Formatting Templates
Integration with R or other statistical packages
Report sharing and collaboration
Publish to Web
Publish to PDF
Report Delivery Scheduling
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.)
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization
Multi-User Support (named login)
Role-Based Security Model
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete)
Responsive Design for Web Access
Dedicated iOS Application
Dedicated Android Application
Dashboard / Report / Visualization Interactivity on Mobile