TestComplete - Making it easy to save time and money
Bernhard Rohrbacher | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 01, 2019

TestComplete - Making it easy to save time and money

Overall Satisfaction with TestComplete

The development team and I noticed we spent a lot of time manually testing everything in our product before it went out the door. Specifically, the sanity test that we conduct before we release a new version.

It was decided that we needed to automate this long and costly procedure. So, I spent some time looking for options and TestComplete seemed like the perfect solution.
  • Keyword test is really easy to use. Anyone can figure it out in a couple of hours.
  • The support they provide is amazing. Their customer service is top notch and they have a lot of resources for beginners to more advanced users.
  • More advanced features are provided and come in handy.
  • TestComplete can easily integrate with your development workflow.
  • Beta testing for major releases would be nice. In other words it would be nice to see what our tests will do/ won't do for every release.
  • A learning feature that is built into the product. Something like what Postman has done recently to their newest version. This would help up newbies as well as more experienced users.
  • Saves us time which saves us money. I have cut down the sanity test from hours to minutes which allows me to test other areas of our products.
  • There was kind of a steep learning curve for more advanced testing procedures which ate up a bit of time.
  • Creating the tests through TestComplete has allowed us to catch issues in our products that we normally wouldn't test for.
The problem we had was cutting down the time it took to go through the sanity test. It takes more than a business day since our applications are so complex.

TestComplete pretty much cut down the time from hours to minutes. It was pretty astounding how quickly TestComplete went through the tests that we manually did and at the same time report on exactly what it did.
The keyword test is heavily used right now since it allows us to hit multiple applications at once. We are more involved with desktop applications at the moment but one of our products is web-based. So, it's really easy to create a keyword test that is testing our main application and then when it hits our web-based application nothing extra really has to be done. Essentially the keyword test feature keeps the ball rolling and makes the tests cases that we develop very flexible.
Testing time has decreased tremendously which allows us to focus on newer features of our product. I can't stress enough how much time it has saved us because we were spending way too much time on tests that could easily be automated. Also maintaining these tests is very easy since TestComplete has a lot of organizational features and it easily integrates with your development workflow.

I would also say that collaboration between the testing team and the development has improved. They like that they can use the test teams test cases via TestExecute or through TestComplete whenever they want to test out something they have changed.
I have briefly used TestExecute but since I am the only tester I have been running all of my tests through TestComplete. I have been keeping an eye on other products that SmartBear provides but for what our organization is doing right now TestComplete is the best solution.
I would recommend this product to anyone looking to automate multiple applications and/or large scale applications.

I feel like this product wouldn't make a lot of sense for very small applications. However, they could provide testing services geared towards start-ups. If TestComplete made a "lite" version I could see is the product being used for start-ups as well as for smaller organizations.