TestComplete review from a user in the workspace
March 13, 2019

TestComplete review from a user in the workspace

Score 10 out of 101

Overall Satisfaction with TestComplete

I am a lead on the Automation Team. TestComplete is used among my organization for various products. We build upon what TestComplete offers us as our core with our code application-specific frameworks and scripts for sanity, smoke, and regression testing. QA are trained against the TestComplete tool, the FWK and coding to learn how to script, execute, debug, and analyze the results. TestComplete helps greatly to catch defects, DEV changes, design flaws, and performance before releasing to our clients. These issues can only be caught if the scripts are coded in a smart fashion and TestComplete helps with the functionality it provides.
  • The ObjectSpy tool is the best I've seen for an automation tool. Gives a lot of details on an element to know how to handle it for automation purposes.
  • TestComplete is an easy tool to play around with and learn how to use. Fantastic help from documentation and code examples.
  • SmartBear forum provides great support on questions and issues.
  • Great support of Third party packages used by webpages, windows applications, and browsers.
  • Great control in organizing your code and scripts.
  • I rarely come across anything that I cannot do in TestComplete. SmartBear does a great job in keeping up with the latest in the industry as new releases come out.
  • SmartBear maintains a list of suggested functionality or improvements that they discuss and agree to develop and add to TestComplete per clients likes.
  • Any issues I may come across, the SmartBear forum has many users that provide support back to me. These are users as well as SmartBear employees on this forum.
  • If you plan out correctly how you want to use TestComplete for testing, this will control how your ROI will be. If poorly used, you will have bad ROI, but if correctly used you will have great ROI per your area of testing and how often you run your testing.
  • A great ROI is achieved if you maintain your automation FWK(s), scripts, environments, and data.
  • Negative ROI is achieved if the person(s) doing automation fail to test as required per the development cycle to release. And if no issues are detected, be sure the scripts are again designed to think outside the box for positive and negative testing scenarios.
Yes, my company needed automation in place for various products and that has been achieved over the time I have been with my company.
I used TestComplete for front end UI testing for windows and web-based applications. And because SmartBear maintains TestComplete against what is out in the market for use (latest browsers, OS, 3rd party web add-ins), I can count on what I need in TestComplete to automate. Open source tools lag behind for support like this. Granted I am paying for a maint. period with TestComplete, but if I encounter an issue I can create an issue report to SmartBear and a support person works with me to supply a patch fix back when appropriate.
My testing does catch and expose developments issues. It does decrease testing time if the QA understand not to run the manual testing that has been automated. We use Team City for Continuous Testing to see what happens from day to day dev changes. Discussions between Dev, QA, and Automation team exists to creating understand feature functionality to test appropriately.
We also have a Selenium-based internal framework recently created in-house, but compared to TestComplete it is now up to the level of what TestComplete contains and MS Visual Studio(using Selenium) to me is a development tool and not a testing tool like TestComplete is. Keep things simple is a key point in automation. There is a cost for both ways. A maint. license with TestComplete for the latest updates and support. With MS VS(Selenium) you do have to pay for the MS Visual Studio, and Selenium being open-source, broken content may/may not be fixed anytime soon.
TestComplete covers a wide range of functionality like UI testing, SOAP testing, SoapUI integration (REST/SOAP), Selenium integration, distributed testing, etc. Various scripting languages are also supported. I use JScript as a simple language for users to understand and use. Nothing bad to mention at this point.