Overall Satisfaction with Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance
We use the UniTrends UEB vAppliances to backup and replicate all of our servers. It is used across the entire organization. It has allowed the city to reduce its spend by consolidating three backup platforms down to one and restores are quick and easy. So far, if the restore request was within our SLA, we have a 100% recovery record.
- UniTrends instant recovery feature is just that, instant recovery. As long as your backup storage resides on fast storage, once you click the 'Instant recovery' button, the server is accessible within a few seconds.
- Support is tremendous. Like most backup solutions, UniTrends has not been without issues. Every time I have engaged support, I have been incredibly impressed with their willingness to assist and their ability to resolve our issues.
- The new interface is intuitive and easy to use.
- Detailed activity monitoring is a little lacking. For example. I'd like to know the speed of replication but, instead of Gbps numbers, I only see 1/4, 2/4... etc.
- Clarification of the 'Tear Down' feature used for getting rid of recent restores is slightly counter-intuitive. I expect this to give me the option of just releasing the management of the restore from the Unitrends appliance. However, I have deleted the live machine out of my VMware environment and had to restore again once - now I'm a little hesitant to do the tear downs. A warning 'You are about to delete the active recovered machine' or a 'click here to remove the Tear Down prompt from the Unitrends interface or click HERE to delete the recovered machine' would be helpful.
- Agent installations are not as intuitive as I think they could be. If you are only backing up VMs with no application awareness, it's great. If you need SQL-aware or Cisco UC-aware backups, it's more difficult.
- Recovered individual files with ease.
- Instantly recovered development machines when ill-advised changes have been made.
- Incremental Forever technology has allowed us to backup all of our devices daily without scheduling fulls. Our ability to recover various versions of files and folders reliably has been a big help.
- Barracuda Backup, Veeam Backup & Replication, Altaro Hyper-V Backup and Symantec Backup Exec
Unitrends stacks up very well against the other solutions I've used in the past. Feature set is very good. The thing that tips the scale heavily in their favor for me is the support team - they do an awesome job for us.
For a purely virtualized environment, I love it. I recommend using it with fast storage if you want to benefit from the Instant Recovery feature. If you have slow storage like a USB disk drive - Instant Recovery may not be fun for you.